Game Day ***Cowboys vs Lions post game thread ***

Plankton

Reaction score
I would term this game as "Good When They Had To Be".

The Cowboys were dominated in the trenches for the overwhelming majority of the game. They made mistakes in coverage, mistakes in pass protection, mistakes on special teams. Normally, these sort of issues would result in a loss.

Not Today.

The offensive line played the worst game that they had played since the first Eagles game, but, on plays like the 4th and 6 throw to Witten and on the winning TD pass to Terrance Williams, they were good when they had to be.

Tony Romo really struggled for a lot of the game. His passes were short in a lot of cases, and three of the sacks that the Lions had were on him for holding the ball too long, but he was good when he had to be.

Dan Bailey missed a chip shot, one that likely had a lot of people thinking that this was not the Cowboys day. But, after Romo took two terrible sacks that forced a 51 yard field goal, he was good when he had to be.

The defensive line did not take advantage of two backups starting on the right side of the Lion offensive line, getting stonewalled in the first half. But, in the second half, they were good when they had to be.

The special teams made a serious error in the first half with the running into the kicker penalty. But, in the second half, when they tackled Cory Ross at the 4 yard line when they kicked off trailing 20-17, they were good when they had to be.

Finally, DeMarcus Lawrence had a complete brain cramp, making a blunder that turned a sure win into possibly being in doubt. But, on fourth down on the last drive, Lawrence showed why the Cowboys wanted to trade up to get him, putting a terrific pass rush on Riley Reiff, showing good hand work, and sacking Matthew Stafford, causing a fumble and recovering it to seal the win. His first sack as a Cowboy came at a great time. He has struggled as a pro, but, like his team, he was good when he had to be.

This game ran the gamut of emotions, and had moments where the Cowboys looked like they were going to come up small. But, as has been their hallmark all season long, they demonstrated grit, determination, focus, and big plays at the right times. Credit the coaching staff, on a day when they looked to be outcoached and outflanked, for instilling this focus and grit in the team. This, I believe, has been the greatest contribution of Jason Garrett as a head coach. Credit Romo for showing a lot of heart despite taking a beating today, and making the plays when he had to. Credit DeMarco Murray for making key runs and catches to keep the Lion defense honest against the run, as well as keeping drives alive. Credit Terrance Williams for making two humongous plays, his 76 yard touchdown stabilizing the game. Credit Anthony Spencer, Jeremy Mincey and Tyrone Crawford for stepping up their pass rushes in the second half. Credit Brandon Carr for containing Calvin Johnson, and largely limiting his influence on the game.

Credit the officials for blowing the call on Hitchens, a call that completely changed the game around. I don't want to hear another complaint from any Cowboy fan about the officials after that gift.

It's on to Green Bay, where the forecast calls for 19 degree temperatures and sunny skies. Should be fun and exciting.
It wasn't pretty

NeonNinja

Dash28
Reaction score
That facemask, if there was one, was after Hitchens interfered twice with the receiver. So even if it was there, it makes it a do over. Giving the Lions another down.

Sorry that I'm one of those rare fans who can be objective. Sometimes you get robbed. Sometimes you get gifts.

A video has already been posted showing the clear facemask.

Fastphilly

Reaction score
So, no calls hurt us? Refs were perfect outside of PI call? Please, terrible calls throughout that game on both sides.

Dude, I have watched football for over 35 years and I never have seen a flag picked up AFTER THE ANNOUNCMENT. It was clearly PI and even if the facemask was called it should have been offsetting penalties and replay the down. A black eye on the NFL.

Staubacher

Reaction score
Nobody's crying, homer. I made the correct honest statement that we received a gift that probably decided the game. Which obviously riles up the face paint crew who like to pretend the officiating always goes against their beloved team.

You're crying and name calling now

SDCowboy

Reaction score
Why is nobody talking about the non-call when our punter got hit?

unsportsmanlikeconduct

Reaction score
That facemask, if there was one, was after Hitchens interfered twice with the receiver. So even if it was there, it makes it a do over. Giving the Lions another down.

Sorry that I'm one of those rare fans who can be objective. Sometimes you get robbed. Sometimes you get gifts.

WHAT? WHAT? No facemask? After the receiver was interfered with twice!? There was absolutely no contact other than Hitchens' facemask being grabbed before the pass was even thrown. Now I see why everyone hates you. Go to the Lions message board and be a hero.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

If you accept the part in bold, accept that we won and there were bad calls on both sides.

sideon

Reaction score
Cowboys have bs calls go against them for the longest time, so it's about time we got some luck our way. Detroit got some gifts from the refs as well so i don't want to hear Lions fans complain.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why is nobody talking about the non-cal when our punter got hit?

Because it's irrelevant to whether the Cowboys got a gift on that late call that decided the game.

You don't have to review the entire game to determine whether the officials blew that one particular call in crunch time.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
My question is will the refs cheat for us next week too? Or will they go back to hating the Cowboys in a super secret league conspiracy?

You sound like sour grapes. Calls are missed on both side of the ball for both teams every week. They could probably call holding on every play for every team. I admit it looked very peculiar but cheating??? You can have the last word. I don't want your realism frackin' up my victory buzz.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
yes you did. Commanders and Giants were already clearing their lockers troll boy.

Yeah, I said it makes it less likely. You never saw me say guarantee. Odds are. That terms that you're not intelligent enough to understand.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Risen Star is, well.... never mind. I don't want to be banned after MANY years on here. I just hope he becomes a fan of the loser Eagles.