Cowboys were in on RB Moss

DripTooHard

Reaction score
If you were going to be done with this team over free agency, you may as well have tapped out years ago. This cheap philosophy concerning outside FAs has been in place since 2013.
I kept holding out hope. The post above is my first one in several months. This franchise is going nowhere and ownership knows that people will still buy the product.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
If this is true, forget Henry.

We are looking for bargain slop.
Ravens have an offer of 6.5....He was the guy I wanted plus a draft pick.. Supposedly Henry bought a house in Dallas...but if we aren't gonna offer Henry more than 3 million....No way he takes that lowball offer.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
So what is their plan, actually? Replace starters at LT, C, RB, DE, LB with the draft? That would need to be a historically successful draft, coming after a year in which we got zero starters and barely any contribution at all
:hammer:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
So what is their plan, actually? Replace starters at LT, C, RB, DE, LB with the draft? That would need to be a historically successful draft, coming after a year in which we got zero starters and barely any contribution at all
They will either sign place-holders at those positions or feel they already have place-holders at those positions.

At LT (if Tyron leaves), they will likely turn the spot over to Tyler and make Bass the LG starter or have Tyler compete with Richards for LT and be the starting LG if Richards wins the spot. No draft pick.

At C, they could make Hoffman the place-holder and then draft competition.

At RB, I'm pretty sure they will bring in a place-holder in free agency and draft competition.

At DE, I don't think we do anything. We have Lawrence and Williams, and Parsons will probably line up at DE in the nickel. Plus, Zimmer is liable to kick both Golston and Fehoko back out to DE instead of trying to make them DTs.

At LB, we may be counting on Overshown and Clark to line up there along with Parsons when we are in the 4-3 base. We'll draft depth/competition. I think we'll see one of the safeties at linebacker on clear passing downs, either Bell or Wilson.

At DT, which you didn't mention, we'll either have to re-sign Hankins for cheap or bring in a cheap FA to pair with Mazi, and then draft one for competition.

I think CB should also be thrown in there if both Gilmore and Lewis leave, although we could consider Scott the fill-in instead of bringing in an FA, and then draft competition.

So if you're keeping count, that's a couple of fill-in FAs (RB and DT) and five draft picks (C, RB, LB, DT, DB). Frankly, right now, I think our first pick will be one of the centers and our second will be RB Jonathan Brooks. I think we also will draft a WR, so that covers six of our seven picks.

Last edited:

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I mean at this point the Cowboys unwillingness to participate in free agency at all is bordering on satire.

Are we really going to rock with Rico Dowdle, Malik Davis, and a 3rd rounder at running back? We’re so all in that it isn’t even funny.

LifetimeBoysFan

Reaction score
If 4M busts the budget, we may as well just plan on draft picks and camp fodder to fill the need. Richest franchise in sports, cheapest owner in free agency.

Sydla

Reaction score
I mean at this point the Cowboys unwillingness to participate in free agency at all is bordering on satire.

Are we really going to rock with Rico Dowdle, Malik Davis, and a 3rd rounder at running back? We’re so all in that it isn’t even funny.
Nah they will sign a Ronald Jones type slop TB like they did last year.

And think they were so smart in doing so.

MikeT22

Reaction score
They will either sign place-holders at those positions or feel they already have place-holders at those positions.

So if you're keeping count, that's a couple of fill-in FAs (RB and DT) and five draft picks (C, RB, LB, DT, DB). Frankly, right now, I think our first pick will be one of the centers and our second will be RB Jonathan Brooks. I think we also will draft a WR, so that covers six of our seven picks.
I wonder how many of our draft picks will even make it to the active roster this season.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I kept holding out hope. The post above is my first one in several months. This franchise is going nowhere and ownership knows that people will still buy the product.
This has been my team since the 1970s and will remain my team no matter what any owner of it chooses to do or not do. I've grown used to having low expectations and I don't use any of my money to buy anything Cowboys-related to support the ownership, but that doesn't change the fact that my fanship isn't negotiable.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score

At LT (if Tyron leaves), they will likely turn the spot over to Tyler and make Bass the LG starter or have Tyler compete with Richards for LT and be the starting LG if Richards wins the spot. No draft pick.

At C, they could make Hoffman the place-holder and then draft competition.

At RB, I'm pretty sure they will bring in a place-holder in free agency and draft competition.

At DE, I don't think we do anything. We have Lawrence and Williams, and Parsons will probably line up at DE in the nickel. Plus, Zimmer is liable to kick both Golston and Fehoko back out to DE instead of trying to make them DTs.

At LB, we may be counting on Overshown and Clark to line up there along with Parsons when we are in the 4-3 base. We'll draft depth/competition. I think we'll see one of the safeties at linebacker on clear passing downs, either Bell or Wilson.

At DT, which you didn't mention, we'll either have to re-sign Hankins for cheap or bring in a cheap FA to pair with Mazi, and then draft one for competition.

I think CB should also be thrown in there if both Gilmore and Lewis leave, although we could consider Scott the fill-in instead of bringing in an FA, and then draft competition.

My goodness that’s a bad roster lol

gimmesix

Reaction score
I wonder how many of our draft picks will even make it to the active roster this season.
Active roster? Probably not many. I'd say five or six make the 53 because they only have to beat out cheap FAs or air. No real competition.

This is one of the components of numbers showing Dallas drafting well. When you only sign cheap FAs, then your draft picks don't have to show much to get on the roster, just more than the cheap FAs. Other teams have to cut draft picks because they have better players in front of them.

gimmesix

Reaction score
My goodness that’s a bad roster lol
Hey now, we're counting on great drafting to improve it ... and hitting on some cheap FAs.

I mean, our offensive line will probably be LT Tyler/Richards, LG Bass/Tyler, C Draft pick, RG Martin, RT Steele. You can't get much better than that.

ICP

Reaction score
It's not about losing Moss, it's about how cheap the Cowboys were in losing him. If you can't pay a guy 4 million in this day and age than who on earth is going to sign here????
Take a deep breath, there are plenty of guys out there you have never heard of, it will be a handful of them

gimmesix

Reaction score
:laugh: That thought did cross my mind....I can see that happening....
I'm kind of thinking that it will happen. We're going to price ourselves out of the backs worth having. Our front office and QB love Zeke.

MikeT22

Reaction score
Active roster? Probably not many. I'd say five or six make the 53 because they only have to beat out cheap FAs or air. No real competition.

This is one of the components of numbers showing Dallas drafting well. When you only sign cheap FAs, then your draft picks don't have to show much to get on the roster, just more than the cheap FAs. Other teams have to cut draft picks because they have better players in front of them.
I mean being active on game days. This past year guys like Fehoko, Richards, Scott were on the inactive list the majority of the season.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I mean being active on game days. This past year guys like Fehoko, Richards, Scott were on the inactive list the majority of the season.
Most of the later-round picks will be inactive on game days, but that should be no surprise. It's tough on later-round rookies to contribute right off the bat unless you get lucky. First three picks should be active unless we have an injury, like we did with Overshown. Hopefully, we'll get better contributions from those top three than we did from the 2023 class, but you never know.

A lot of our fans count on us hitting on every pick, but that just isn't realistic.