Cowboys will honor Zeke on Sunday

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Cowboys honored Emmitt Smith on Oct 6 2003 as a Cardinal.

He rushed 6 times for -1 yards and broke his shoulder.

CoachD

Reaction score
Zeke is going into the Ring of Honor but Jimmy is not, that's the surprise!

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Never heard of a team honoring a former player they’ll be facing. Don’t remember the Cowboys honoring Emmitt Smith when he returned as a Cardinal. Wonder if the team will honor him after the game if he puts up 120 and 2 TDs? Lol

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Ugggh this team just can't help themselves. The three ring circus marches on.
Zeke means a lot to many of our players. Giving the fans a chance to show their love is classy. I guess you don't like classy.

Jipper

Reaction score
This makes me happy - classy move and the right thing to do. Not a huge ceremony but a nice pregame gesture and the fans will be supportive as he was a fan favorite.

Jerry got this one right

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
This is bile inducing. Celebrating a career cut short by being out of shape and stoned I guess.
That’s an odd narrative. You think his career got cut short because of smoking and out of shape? Even though since 2016 he has more Carrie’s than anyone in the league?

Motorola

Reaction score
Never heard of a team honoring a former player they’ll be facing. Don’t remember the Cowboys honoring Emmitt Smith when he returned as a Cardinal. Wonder if the team will honor him after the game if he puts up 120 and 2 TDs? Lol
It's done in MLB and the NBA for players that put in a long and outstanding career with one team, then went on to play somewhere else.
In baseball, the player gets a standing ovation at his 1st at-bat (or if a pitcher- when he takes the mound in the first inning).
In basketball, the player has been given a standing ovation during the starting team introductions, and a highlight video during a first-quarter timeout.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It's done done in MLB and the NBA for players that put in a long and outstanding career with one team, then went on to play somewhere else.
In baseball, the player gets a standing ovation at his 1st at-bat (or if a pitcher- when he takes the mound in the first inning).
In basketball, the player has been honored with a standing ovation during the starting team introductions, and a highlight video during a first-quarter timeout.
It’s also worth noting that this is a special circumstance. Running backs typically don’t last with one team for 7 years. And then the guy has to play his former team the next season. It doesn’t happen a lot.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It's done done in MLB and the NBA for players that put in a long and outstanding career with one team, then went on to play somewhere else.
In basketball, the player has been honored with a standing ovation during the starting team introductions, and a highlight video during a first-quarter timeout.
Zeke only played seven seasons with the Cowboys and I don’t remember us doing this with Emmitt. I really don’t agree with honoring a former player you’re going to be facing that day. It’s just providing more motivation for them. However, honoring them after they’ve retired is a different story.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
That’s an odd narrative. You think his career got cut short because of smoking and out of shape? Even though since 2016 he has more Carrie’s than anyone in the league?
So he had 1 season of the most touches and that ruined his career…How do you explain guys like AP and Frank Gore? I guess they didn’t run hard.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It sounds like the Cowboys will do something to honor Ezekiel Elliott before Sunday's game at AT&T Stadium. When asked about it, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones on @1053thefan declined to comment, saying, "I don't want to blow a surprise."

Jerry on Zeke: "As far as a back that the opposing team hates to tackle, I think he's at the top of the list. Zeke took a toll on those defensive players. I'll always remember that."

:laugh: @ "I don't want to blow a surprise."

He must have winked when he said that too. That was an opportunity to lie and say nothing was planned. Then you do what you planned anyway and it ends up coming off as some semblance of an actual surprise.

Now, everyone, who knows Jones said he did not want to blow the surprise, will watch Ezekiel Elliott's face and reactions to see if he looks like he was surprised. "I do not follow X anymore Jerry! Man! Am I surprised!" lol

I am trying to remember. Take the Riing of Honor completely out of the conversation for a moment. Has Jones ever honored Jimmy Johnson with a planned surprise inside Texas or AT&T Stadiums before? I doubt it.