Cris Carter on Dez: He's not a great route runner

Hoov

Reaction score
why is he qualified? what makes him special. He never won anything, never even played in a super bowl and that is your standard for players right?
He's a bum - "all he does is catch touch downs" :D

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
That's really what it is. And when Dez balls (like he did two freaking weeks ago) they'll all move on to a new target.
I'd love to see him integrate himself back into the offense and ball consistently. This was an item for discussion. The protectionist element here turned it into something else. Also known as the usual...

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
I think Chris nailed it. Chris ran some of the most incredible routes in the history of the game. Forget his personality. I'm talking someone that has done it with precision and dedication that Dez can only dream of.

Yeah I heard that was the book on him. Authority.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
You have to kind of laugh at the rebuttals. They're almost childish in nature.

So because Cris Carter (one of the best receivers in the HISTORY of the game who survived not because of his speed but because of his hands and route running) says Dez doesn't run good routes, he's ...
1. A bad father
2. A drug head
3. A has-been NFL commentator
4. A know-nothing because he never won a Super Bowl
5. A popularity hound
6. A controversy seeker
7. A punk @***
8. A trouble maker
9. A bad advisor for telling young players to have a fall guy.

:laugh:

Assuming ALL those things are true, what do they have to do with the price of tea in China?
He can be all those things. But the one thing he is an expert on, a SUPREME expert since few have done it better than he, is running routes and catching footballs.

I would think he would know good route running when he sees it.
Period...

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

So because Cris Carter (one of the best receivers in the HISTORY of the game who survived not because of his speed but because of his hands and route running) says Dez doesn't run good routes, he's ...
1. A bad father
2. A drug head
5. A popularity hound
6. A controversy seeker
7. A punk @***
8. A trouble maker

Assuming ALL those things are true, what do they have to do with the price of tea in China?
He can be all those things. But the one thing he is an expert on, a SUPREME expert since few have done it better than he, is running routes and catching footballs.

It has everything to do with whether I care to hear his opinion on said price of tea in China. I don't put him in the Bayless, Stephen A. camp. But I'm over manufactured controversies and debate topics from shows like "First Undisputed."

In reality, there's not thing to discuss anymore about the Cowboys. They're a good team. 7-1 is proof. The Dak/Romo has been beaten to death. They even tried a manufactured controversy with Beasley and his wack sauce celebration.

Point is, Dez is an easy target and 70% of it is pure BS. I give the media 30%, because I wouldn't dare say he doesn't give them material. Dez and his route running struggles aren't even a new topic. It's rehashed material. He might as well said, he was still looking into the video.

it's tired.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
I've always assumed it was one of the few things not really debatable around here. :laugh:

No, Dez has not been a great route-runner.
Is he better than he was his first two years? Yes.
Is he on the level of other top WRs as a route-runner (like Brown this weekend)? No

he's still a stud though
He's a stud when he wants to be. I need him to get on the train and ride with Dak & Zeke.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Carter is an *****' loser but yes, Dez is not a great route runner. Frankly, Romo is the only one who can get the most out of him because of Romo's quick processing and reaction time. It's a bit sandlot between Romo and Dez -- Dez will improvise, Romo is good enough and quick enough to take advantage.
I find this "it takes Romo to get the best our of Dez" slant to be totally weak. Any good QB should be able to get the best out of a stud #1 WR. Period.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
I'd love to see him integrate himself back into the offense and ball consistently. This was an item for discussion. The protectionist element here turned it into something else. Also known as the usual...

Fair enough, Bleu. I'm just tired of Dez getting so much criticism. But to each their own. I certainly respect your opinion, brother.

phildadon86

Reaction score
What does that have to do with Carter's critique of Dez not running good routes?
Nothing. I was responding to someone else. I don't disagree with Carter on that. Maybe if you took the time to read what I responded to you wouldn't be so quick to judge....

tyke1doe

Reaction score
It has everything to do with whether I care to hear his opinion on said price of tea in China. I don't put him in the Bayless, Stephen A. camp. But I'm over manufactured controversies and debate topics from shows like "First Undisputed."

In reality, there's not thing to discuss anymore about the Cowboys. They're a good team. 7-1 is proof. The Dak/Romo has been beaten to death. They even tried a manufactured controversy with Beasley and his wack sauce celebration.

Point is, Dez is an easy target and 70% of it is pure BS. I give the media 30%, because I wouldn't dare say he doesn't give them material. Dez and his route running struggles aren't even a new topic. It's rehashed material. He might as well said, he was still looking into the video.

it's tired.

You're entitled to use whatever reason you will or won't listen to him. But the reasons given for WHY his opinion about Dez's route running should be dismissed are irrelevant and, IMO, down right childish.

If Cris Carter was talking about how to have a strong marriage, then his womanizing would be an issue. If he were criticizing someone else for taking drugs in a judgmental manner, then his drug use would be an issue, etc. and so on.

But he gave comments about Dez's route running, and there's no better expert than a Hall of Fame wide receiver who reached that level because of the routes he ran.

Second, you may be tired, but the Cowboys are a team people want to hear about and talk about. And one of their star players, AGAIN, was virtually invisible in a game and was caught on camera complaining incessantly about a holding call, one he just wouldn't let go - pardon the pun. ;)

Furthermore, Dez is an easy target because HE MAKES HIMSELF AND EASY TARGET!!! He's the one responding to the criticism. He's the one having twitter fights with Skip Bayless. Of course, commentators are going to target him.

You would think after seven years in the league, Dez understands this. But, alas, he doesn't so he's going to continue to get the criticism, and we're going to continue to moan and complain because they're picking on "poor ole Dez."

And you know what's tiring? Cowboys fans who understand how the media work and still adopt this "woe is me, the media are out to get us" attitude. That's the consequences of being a fan of the most popular football (no, not soccer) team in the world.

If people don't like it, well, the Browns are in need of some fans. Heck, they'll even give you your own personal paper bag if you attend their home games. ;)

Last edited:

phildadon86

Reaction score

1. A bad father
2. A drug head
5. A popularity hound
6. A controversy seeker
7. A punk @***
8. A trouble maker

If you are taking a shot at me for my comment. I was responding to a post talking about how mature Carter was. Not about his comment about Dez.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Nothing. I was responding to someone else. I don't disagree with Carter on that. Maybe if you took the time to read what I responded to you wouldn't be so quick to judge....

It wasn't a judgment, simply a question. But I didn't read previously, so I receive your rebuke in the spirit it was offered. :)

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Yeah...it actually appeared to be somewhat veiled shade thrown towards your OP...you guys got some sort of history or something'??? LOL.
We go waaay back.

He hated TO. I always viewed the criticism toward TO as unfounded and slanted. So we clashed often. I made a Photoshop of him loving up on TO and that was the last straw.

Then we both grew up...So I thought.

Funny. 10 or so years later, I still have that Photoshop.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
If you are taking a shot at me for my comment. I was responding to a post talking about how mature Carter was. Not about his comment about Dez.

If I took your comment out of context, I apologize. I've read so many posts in this thread, I may have jumbled them all together.

phildadon86

Reaction score
If I took your comment out of context, I apologize. I've read so many posts in this thread, I may have jumbled them all together.
I've done that more than a few times. It happens. I am probably the biggest Dez supporter on this forum and I hate his route running. It's gotten better, but when you see Beasley run a route it's amazing.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
You're entitled to use whatever reason you will or won't listen to him. But the reasons given for WHY his opinion about Dez's route running should be dismissed are irrelevant and, IMO, down right childish.

If Cris Carter was talking about how to have a strong marriage, then his womanizing would be an issue. If he were criticizing someone else for taking drugs in a judgmental manner, then his drug use would be an issue, etc. and so on.

But he gave comments about Dez's route running, and there's no better expert than a Hall of Fame wide receiver who reached that level because of the routes he ran.

Second, you may be tired, but the Cowboys are a team people want to hear about and talk about. And one of their star players, AGAIN, was virtually invisible in a game and was caught on camera complaining incessantly about a holding call, one he just wouldn't let go - pardon the pun. ;)

Furthermore, Dez is an easy target because HE MAKES HIMSELF AND EASY TARGET!!! He's the one responding to the criticism. He's the one having twitter fights with Skip Bayless. Of course, commentators are going to target him.

You would think after seven years in the league, Dez understands this. But, alas, he doesn't so he's going to continue to get the criticism, and we're going to continue to moan and complain because they're picking on "poor ole Dez."

And you know what's tiring? Cowboys fans who understand how the media work and still adopt this "woe is me, the media are out to get us." That's the consequences of being a fan of the most popular football (no, not soccer) team in the world.

If people don't like it, well, the Browns are in need of some fans. Heck, they'll even give you your own personal paper bag if you attend their home games. ;)
Preach