Cris Carter on Dez: He's not a great route runner

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You're entitled to use whatever reason you will or won't listen to him. But the reasons given for WHY his opinion about Dez's route running should be dismissed are irrelevant and, IMO, down right childish.

But he gave comments about Dez's route running, and there's no better expert than a Hall of Fame wide receiver who reached that level because of the routes he ran.
It may seem childish in your opinion. But the reality is all the things you consider childish are a direct reflection of the guy's credibility among said fans. I am not part of the Woe is me, the media is out to get the Cowboys crew. I this his criticism is tired, because it's not NEW. It's re-hashed material and my opinion is that he's using Dez's name to get back on the air. My man needs a job.

Second, you may be tired, but the Cowboys are a team people want to hear about and talk about. And one of their star players, AGAIN, was virtually invisible in a game and was caught on camera complaining incessantly about a holding call, one he just wouldn't let go - pardon the pun. ;)
Yes, he was complaining about the call, but was he right? Because if he was arguing for a weak call, then I'm with you. Re-focus and move the heck on. But everything I've seen suggests it was a legit beef and the ref missed it. I saw the angle in which the ref was standing so I see how it was missed. So how does that put Dez in the wrong?

Ignoring all the rest, because it really doesn't apply to anything I posted.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
It has everything to do with whether I care to hear his opinion on said price of tea in China. I don't put him in the Bayless, Stephen A. camp. But I'm over manufactured controversies and debate topics from shows like "First Undisputed."

In reality, there's not thing to discuss anymore about the Cowboys. They're a good team. 7-1 is proof. The Dak/Romo has been beaten to death. They even tried a manufactured controversy with Beasley and his wack sauce celebration.

Point is, Dez is an easy target and 70% of it is pure BS. I give the media 30%, because I wouldn't dare say he doesn't give them material. Dez and his route running struggles aren't even a new topic. It's rehashed material. He might as well said, he was still looking into the video.

it's tired.

Not to mention you are absolutely kidding yourself if you think egomaniac chris carter is watching film and breaking down what all the wr are doing. There is an almost zero % chance of him doing that.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Will be interesting to see if Carter's comments get under Dez's skin and it leads to a Twitter battle.

knightrider94

Reaction score
Straight GO routes all freaking day long.

Honest Question: What is he to do then if that is what the coaches tell him to do? Should he pull a TO and complain about the play calling?

Another Question/Hypothetical: If Dez was to be kicked off the Cowboys because he became a dope head, he then cleaned up his body and life, came back and became a better route runner for the Cowboys or another team, played another 5/6 years, maybe wins a SB or no, would he then be qualified to criticize or critique another receiver?

Seriously, my answer would be yes, but I think Cris Carter is just that guy that I don't like or trust, who would say anything to get or keep a job. And his criticism always seems a little too personal for me. This is same dude that didn't have Calvin Johnson as the top receiver in the league when he clearly was.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
It may seem childish in your opinion. But the reality is all the things you consider childish are a direct reflection of the guy's credibility among said fans. I am not part of the Woe is me, the media is out to get the Cowboys crew. I this his criticism is tired, because it's not NEW. It's re-hashed material and my opinion is that he's using Dez's name to get back on the air. My man needs a job.

Yes, he was complaining about the call, but was he right? Because if he was arguing for a weak call, then I'm with you. Re-focus and move the heck on. But everything I've seen suggests it was a legit beef and the ref missed it. I saw the angle in which the ref was standing so I see how it was missed. So how does that put Dez in the wrong?

Ignoring all the rest, because it really doesn't apply to anything I posted.

He openly admitted on Undisputed that he needed a job (having been let go from ESPN), and as the segment was panning out you could hear him sucking up to Skip Bayless.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Yep. Beasley has elevated himself to Beastly status. :)
He did that two years ago. It's just more noticeable now because you don't have a QB trying to force it into the loud guy's mouth. Spread it around and magic happens. If you don't like it, shut your mouth and get open. Pretty simple.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Honest Question: What is he to do then if that is what the coaches tell him to do? Should he pull a TO and complain about the play calling?

Another Question/Hypothetical: If Dez was to be kicked off the Cowboys because he became a dope head, he then cleaned up his body and life, came back and became a better route runner for the Cowboys or another team, played another 5/6 years, maybe wins a SB or no, would he then be qualified to criticize or critique another receiver?

Seriously, my answer would be yes, but I think Cris Carter is just that guy that I don't like or trust, who would say anything to get or keep a job. And his criticism always seems a little too personal for me. This is same dude that didn't have Calvin Johnson as the top receiver in the league when he clearly was.
Again. It shouln't matter what we think of Chris Carter the person. I, personally, don't like him. But, in terms of his critiquing route running, I'm all ears and they're perked up.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Will be interesting to see if Carter's comments get under Dez's skin and it leads to a Twitter battle.

I would hope it would lead Dez to the practice field working endlessly to improve his rout running after all it is not a god given talent it is something that you can better yourself in.

I look at the physical skills of Dez and Irvin which I think are very similar except for the rout running

Troy Aikman:
"Michael Irvin got doubled a lot, and there's routes that are very good vs. double coverage. But you then have to run good routes," Aikman said Thursday on KTCK-AM 1310 and KTCK-FM 96.7 "And if you're not running good, precise routes then it's hard to try and fit balls into tight spaces when you're a little unsure where a guy is going to be."

"To me, what I've seen of Dez, what I've watched on film, that's where he has to get better," Aikman said of Bryant's route running.
"He's extremely competitive when the ball is in the air. And when people challenge him, that's when he's at his best...But when there are guys around him, and there's safety help, his routes are not as precise. He's not nearly the route runner Michael Irvin was."

http://sportsday.***BANNED-URL***/d...not-nearly-the-route-runner-michael-irvin-was

I like Dez and I think the guy has great talent and ability but if he is to be an elite WR he needs to put in the work and improve this area of his game. Stop the twitter banter and make people shut up by improving yourself as a player.

knightrider94

Reaction score
Again. It shouln't matter what we think of Chris Carter the person. I, personally, don't like him. But, in terms of his critiquing route running, I'm all ears and they're perked up.

Even if his motives are less than honest? I can trust the message/critique more if I believe it is coming from a trustworthy place. That's important to me and that is how I am in everyday life.

To each his or her own.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Dez isn't a 'good' route runner I guess but that doesn't tell the story.

When Dez came in he could run a go route and didn't know how to release off the line. He's added the slant, the in/out, post, dig, and comeback since then and can release both ways.

He doesn't run many double moves and needs polish but he is light years from where he started.

The guy has come a long way. He couldn't read in college and overcame that as well. I have a tremendous amount of respect for him.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Even if his motives are less than honest? I can trust the message/critique more if I believe it is coming from a trustworthy place. That's important to me and that is how I am in everyday life.

To each his or her own.
I like to give people the benefit of the doubt and, although I don't like Cris Carter, I have never found him to lack trust in his work ethic or his critique of other players. So yeah. To each his or her own for sure.

knightrider94

Reaction score
I like to give people the benefit of the doubt and, although I don't like Cris Carter, I have never found him to lack trust in his work ethic or his critique of other players. So yeah. To each his or her own for sure.
Even his Calvin Johnson critique?!?!;)

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
A buffoon that ran down of the most incredible routes in the history of the game.

There... Finished it for ya :thumbup:

I am distressed how you mangle the English language. It makes your sentence almost indecipherable.
Aside from that, I gather that you have stacks of Cris Carter wall posters and memorabilia? Interesting.

Me, I collect Irvin and Bob Hayes stuff.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Chris cater was one of the best receivers of all time. Moreover Cater was a lot like DEz, and matured, a lot, to become a lot more like the person we WANT Dez to be. Dez should listen up.
Dez can be the fall guy to the mature veteran CC.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Most productive WR in football? C'mon now. in 2014, at his peak, he was #10 in catches, #9 in yards, and #1 in TDs. He was really good that year, but the most productive wideout that year and since has been Antonio Brown.

It's clear that Dez is sloppy and takes plays off. They even called him out on it in the Cleveland game. He is a mental midget.
At the end of 2014 nobody had more tds than he had since he'd entered the league.

Facts are inconvenient in this case for anyone trying to argue your side of the ledger.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Yeah, he has that resting jerk face syndrome where he just looks like someone you want to punch in the mouth...kinda like jay cutler
You, bloke, should have more respect for someone who, single-handedly, has kept the eyebrow cosmetics industry alive!

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
I seriously doubt that- even with Tony, Dez has been seen on the sideline going crazy because he's not getting the ball. Dez seems to be embarrassed to be a team player. But most importantly, Dez needs to be a better WR and overall player. I truly believed that the early success the team was having without him would trigger something in him to make him better at his craft.
You're embarrassing yourself.

robbieruff

Reaction score
We go waaay back.

He hated TO. I always viewed the criticism toward TO as unfounded and slanted. So we clashed often. I made a Photoshop of him loving up on TO and that was the last straw.

Then we both grew up...So I thought.

Funny. 10 or so years later, I still have that Photoshop.
:laugh::lmao::lmao2:

Oh man! Sorry I missed that!?!

Oh - and please inbox to me...;)

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
Most productive WR in football? C'mon now. in 2014, at his peak, he was #10 in catches, #9 in yards, and #1 in TDs. He was really good that year, but the most productive wideout that year and since has been Antonio Brown.

It's clear that Dez is sloppy and takes plays off. They even called him out on it in the Cleveland game. He is a mental midget.
In the most run heavy offense in football. For someone as astute as yourself to leave off an important variable when making an argument seems odd.