Cut Doug Free

RandyOh

Reaction score
No. He's not.
He actually is. Hes just not an all pro like the rest of our lineman so teams attack him since he is considered the weak link. Their is no one in this draft other then Cam Robinson (top 10 pick) that could step in and improve the line over him. We are not gonna pay big bucks for one of the few good OT in free agency either.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He actually is. Hes just not an all pro like the rest of our lineman so teams attack him since he is considered the weak link. Their is no one in this draft other then Cam Robinson (top 10 pick) that could step in and improve the line over him. We are not gonna pay big bucks for one of the few good OT in free agency either.

No, he's not. The facts shown in this very thread show that he isn't. Another thing that you apparently don't know is that his contract makes him a prime candidate to be cut.

RandyOh

Reaction score
No, he's not. The facts shown in this very thread show that he isn't. Another thing that you apparently don't know is that his contract makes him a prime candidate to be cut.
And who is gonna take over? Green? I like green but can u trust him to stay healthy for more then 2 games? we are already over the cap, both of our starting CBs will not be under contract, both T McClain and David Irving are free agents, both of our Strong safeties are free agents, We only have 3 WR under contract and only dez can play on outside. Hell one isn't even used in the offense other then a jet sweep play once a game in Whitehead.

Then lets look to the draft. Only Cam Robinson, Mike McGlinchey, and Ryan Ramczyk have 1st round grades. But McGlinchey is already leaning towards returning to Notre Dame & Ramczyk is about to have hip surgery. Half of the day 2 OTs will need to switch to OG to make it in the league. The rest are raw projects with good size or have good technique but need a season or two gain strength. So who is going to take over for Free at RT next year? Best option may be to ride out with Free and let him finish the last year of his contract while trying to patch the spot with Chaz Green when need then look to 2018 draft for a RT seeing how 2018 OT class is looking way better then this years.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Bring up Collins to play RT. It can't possibly be worse. Dude is flat out awful. We are going to have to give him help on every single snap in the playoffs. Brandon Graham beat him like a rented mule the entire game. Just brutal

No...

dallasdave

Reaction score
Bring up Collins to play RT. It can't possibly be worse. Dude is flat out awful. We are going to have to give him help on every single snap in the playoffs. Brandon Graham beat him like a rented mule the entire game. Just brutal
The Free ride is almost over. :lmao2:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And who is gonna take over? Green? I like green but can u trust him to stay healthy for more then 2 games? we are already over the cap, both of our starting CBs will not be under contract, both T McClain and David Irving are free agents, both of our Strong safeties are free agents, We only have 3 WR under contract and only dez can play on outside. Hell one isn't even used in the offense other then a jet sweep play once a game in Whitehead.

We'll cross that bridge when we come to it after the season. No choice but to play him until then.

Then lets look to the draft. Only Cam Robinson, Mike McGlinchey, and Ryan Ramczyk have 1st round grades. But McGlinchey is already leaning towards returning to Notre Dame & Ramczyk is about to have hip surgery. Half of the day 2 OTs will need to switch to OG to make it in the league. The rest are raw projects with good size or have good technique but need a season or two gain strength. So who is going to take over for Free at RT next year? Best option may be to ride out with Free and let him finish the last year of his contract while trying to patch the spot with Chaz Green when need then look to 2018 draft for a RT seeing how 2018 OT class is looking way better then this years.

There is no option to keep him under his current contract.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/doug-free-2419/

He'd cost $7.5 million for this subpar level of play and there's no way to justify that. But there are certainly better options than that to be explored.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Free mailed in the effort today. To me, it looked like he was just out there playing not to get hurt. We will see what he's got two weeks from now. I think we will see the best he's got two weeks from now. Whether that is good or not remains to be seen. Good luck to him and the Cowboys.

RandyOh

Reaction score
We'll cross that bridge when we come to it after the season. No choice but to play him until then.

There is no option to keep him under his current contract.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/doug-free-2419/

He'd cost $7.5 million for this subpar level of play and there's no way to justify that. But there are certainly better options than that to be explored.
I have been watching tape on, reading articles on, and paying attention to tons of players of all positions from this years draft class since before training camp. This is one of the weakest OT classes we have had in awhile. very weak free agent class as well. The very few worth while free agents will be kept by their teams. Cutting Free then worrying later is how we will end up with Emmett Cleary as our starting Right tackle. Most Right tackles in the league are really not that good. Many are just big uglies with the strength to not get man handled by a bull rusher on the strongside. Free at the very least has been playing average with a bad to horrible game here and their. If this was last year or the year before i would agree with you but the options are just not their in neither free agency or the draft. Like i said the best option would be to keep free and keep trying with Chaz Green then draft your long term replacement early in the 2018 draft where we will have multiple options.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have been watching tape on, reading articles on, and paying attention to tons of players of all positions from this years draft class since before training camp. This is one of the weakest OT classes we have had in awhile. very weak free agent class as well. The very few worth while free agents will be kept by their teams. Cutting Free then worrying later is how we will end up with Emmett Cleary as our starting Right tackle.

Emmitt Cleary actually outplayed Doug Free today, so he might, in fact be an option if Free continues to get worse like he has.

Most Right tackles in the league are really not that good. Many are just big uglies with the strength to not get man handled by a bull rusher on the strongside. Free at the very least has been playing average with a bad to horrible game here and their. If this was last year or the year before i would agree with you but the options are just not their in neither free agency or the draft. Like i said the best option would be to keep free and keep trying with Chaz Green then draft your long term replacement early in the 2018 draft where we will have multiple options.

Not at $7.5 million it won't. And if his level of play doesn't improve, he needs to go. He got by being average for the past few years. At this point, he's not even that. He's becoming a significant liability.

There are plenty of better options that the current edition of Doug Free.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Next year Free will be another year old and not another year better. Maybe his replacement isn't immediately visible, but I think Free needs to be replaced next season.

RandyOh

Reaction score
Emmitt Cleary actually outplayed Doug Free today, so he might, in fact be an option if Free continues to get worse like he has.

Not at $7.5 million it won't. And if his level of play doesn't improve, he needs to go. He got by being average for the past few years. At this point, he's not even that. He's becoming a significant liability.

There are plenty of better options that the current edition of Doug Free.
You have yet to name a better option. Why is that if your so certain one can be found? If Emmitt Cleary was to end up a starter on purpose then you will be making a thread like this a few games into the season how Cleary needs to go. Like i keep saying their really are no options. We are not going to trade the house away for a OT in the draft either. This years free agency class is full of backup tackles at best. and yes Free has been playing average and at the very least stays healthy. Their is only one big name OT who is a free agent and that is Matt Kalil and no way the Vikings let him walk. No way would we even seriously go after him either.

RandyOh

Reaction score
Next year Free will be another year old and not another year better. Maybe his replacement isn't immediately visible, but I think Free needs to be replaced next season.
Easier said then done when both the free agent and draft class suck for OTs. We have a better RT on the roster. Hes made of tissue paper though it seems.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You have yet to name a better option. Why is that if your so certain one can be found? If Emmitt Cleary was to end up a starter on purpose then you will be making a thread like this a few games into the season how Cleary needs to go. Like i keep saying their really are no options.

You keep on telling yourself that. It wasn't accurate the first time you said it, it isn't accurate now. I'll take my chances with in-house candidates Green, Cleary, or Collins in the offseason, and I'll also look to the draft. There are plenty of options.

We are not going to trade the house away for a OT in the draft either. This years free agency class is full of backup tackles at best. and yes Free has been playing average and at the very least stays healthy. Their is only one big name OT who is a free agent and that is Matt Kalil and no way the Vikings let him walk. No way would we even seriously go after him either.

They don't need to. The below average player you're trying to paint as irreplacable was only a 4th round pick himself.

The only person who can't see options is you.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Easier said then done when both the free and draft class suck for OTs. We have a better RT on the roster. Hes made of tissue paper though it seems.
I recall Leary missing a lot of time.....Collins missing a lot of time.....TSmith being hurt for several games......Green is not alone......right now Green is my RT next year

Free will be cut and can return as a backup for the minimum and to compete against a draft pick

RandyOh

Reaction score
You keep on telling yourself that. It wasn't accurate the first time you said it, it isn't accurate now. I'll take my chances with in-house candidates Green, Cleary, or Collins in the offseason, and I'll also look to the draft. There are plenty of options.

They don't need to. The below average player you're trying to paint as irreplacable was only a 4th round pick himself.

The only person who can't see options is you.
Many options to weaken the line. Yes. My plan was to keep Free and keep trying with Green who could hopefully take over. your plan is to try with a player who has played 2 games in 2 season. Go ahead and look to the draft that has the worst OT class in the last 5 or 6 years. i have scouted and read any and every kind of article involving most of the OT the last couple months because i want Free replaced as well. They are not day 1 replacements outside of the top 2 or 3 that we have no chance at. Many are also undersized tackles who need to switch to guard. We will end up like the vikings forced to put out a player who was no where near ready and getting his QB killed like TJ Clemmings has doing things your way. IF your really gonna sit their and say Cleary is your plan then i can't take you seriously. We will just have to agree ti disagree.

RandyOh

Reaction score
I recall Leary missing a lot of time.....Collins missing a lot of time.....TSmith being hurt for several games......Green is not alone......right now Green is my RT next year

Free will be cut and can return as a backup for the minimum and to compete against a draft pick
Green has been having durability issues since his freshman year at Florida. At least Leary, Collins, and T Smith have shown they can play the Majority of a season in the NFL.

Now see u have good plan. cutting Free and bring back on a cheap one year deal. Just getting rid of and hoping things will fall in place is not the way to go.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Many options to weaken the line. Yes. My plan was to keep Free and keep trying with Green who could hopefully take over. your plan is to try with a player who has played 2 games in 2 season. Go ahead and look to the draft that has the worst OT class in the last 5 or 6 years. i have scouted and read any and every kind of article involving most of the OT the last couple months because i want Free replaced as well. They are not day 1 replacements outside of the top 2 or 3 that we have no chance at. Many are also undersized tackles who need to switch to guard. We will end up like the vikings forced to put out a player who was no where near ready and getting his QB killed like TJ Clemmings has doing things your way. IF your really gonna sit their and say Cleary is your plan then i can't take you seriously. We will just have to agree ti disagree.

Cleary was one of three options, your 'plan' involves paying $7.5 million for below average play. Some 'plan'..