News: CW: Leading analytics team makes case for Cowboys letting Prescott walk

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score
Agree.

Eventually my radical opinion will become the mainstream opinion and everyone will have suddenly known all along that not overpaying for decent QB play was the right choice.

The Cowboys can’t expect to duplicate that once-in-a-generation Day 3 draft value. But they might be able to plug one of the refined rookie quarterback prospects such as Zach Wilson or Mac Jones into their offense and experience similar short-term success. That shift would dramatically lower the team’s floor for the 2020s, but it would also raise its ceiling. Already up against the salary cap, an expensive Prescott extension would accelerate the hemorrhaging of blue-chip free agents that started with Byron Jones last year. By resetting with a rookie quarterback, the Cowboys could retain their other stars and build like the Rams and Eagles from recent seasons, teams that leveraged the cost savings of Jared Goff’s and Carson Wentz’s inexpensive rookie deals into exceptional roster depth and eventual Super Bowl berths.

Damn what day does the trash man come? I need to empty this garbage can.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I’ll be honest, I see both sides of the debate here. Which is why I am completely indifferent as to what happens, if that makes sense.
Watch out for those splinters when sitting on the fence, but I hear you loud and clear, this debate over a simple term and a couple million more,, what a charade it developed into.
What a total example of how not to business.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Leading analytics team makes case for Cowboys letting Prescott walk

Football Outsiders has been at the forefront of the analytic movement in the NFL since inception. Their reliability as an outlet is unquestioned in terms of quality content, but even the best get o

Read Full Story

With the threads you started today I'm beginning to think you're not a Prescott fan and are just looking for stuff to feed the Prescott haters.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I’m not going to get into a debate about Byron Jones being terrible.. If you believe that then fine.. The guy who even wrote that doesn’t even believe it and says that the numbers look bad because the lack of targets against him and expects a bounce back.
So not 1 but 2 statistics being the worst in the NFL but it’s all made up. Get a grip on reality

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The Cowboys can’t expect to duplicate that once-in-a-generation Day 3 draft value.
Also Post Draft value in Romo.

Also got Matt Moore for nothing but didn't hang onto him. Also el cheapo quality veteran *starter* for a pittance in Dalton.

Going by the Cowboy's last 20 years, it's really *not* that hard to find a franchise QB or decent starting QB on the cheap. Certainly not "once in a generation".

Same with the Pats. The Pats kept QBs coming after they had The Goat from the 6th round. Seems like a few of them because franchise QBs too.

Unlike the Pats, we've spent diddley and still gotten franchise QBs. I'd like us to spend *more than diddley* and see how we do. Don't get locked into one QB. Bring in more, and let them really compete.

McCarthy is supposed to be a QB Whisperer. Give him a chance to show us the Magic. Huge advantage if he can pull it off.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
Another anti dak agenda piece. Where’s the we shouldn’t resign dalton articles at?

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Another anti dak agenda piece. Where’s the we shouldn’t resign dalton articles at?
In the file cabinet of Nobody Gives A Crap About Dalton Except For Delusional Cowboys Fans.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Sure, but who has faith we’ll hit on a QB in the draft?

And if you don’t how many years are we set back?

Why, because we are pinching about 3-5 million a year . Totally ridiculous!!
Just look how many people frequent Vegas, gambling is in our human DNA.... which stands for Dont Knock Addiction... I kid.

Proof

Reaction score
I agree with their end conclusion to move on from Dak, but not to resign internal guys. They should get draft capital AND cap space to build a playoff team on both sides of the ball.

The prudent move on Gallup is to trade him before he is a FA next year. So, Jerry will likely keep him and let him walk for nothing next year.

Their end conclusion was to sign him though lol. It was literally the final sentence.

Proof

Reaction score
I’m not going to get into a debate about Byron Jones being terrible.. If you believe that then fine.. The guy who even wrote that doesn’t even believe it and says that the numbers look bad because the lack of targets against him and expects a bounce back.

and the guy who wrote this article finished it by saying “today would be a great day to sign the franchise qb”

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
and the guy who wrote this article finished it by saying “today would be a great day to sign the franchise qb”

Does that surprise you?

There is a lot of people who know it’s stupid but would do it anyways.. The Jones’s included.

You got people all over this board acknowledging that we’re going to be mediocre but when you have a “franchise” quarterback you have to hold on to them at all costs.

Swagger

Reaction score
Yeah. Byron Jones is a great player. I'm glad someone told you he's one of the worst and you believed it.
Byron was an All Pro Cornerback in 2018. He's 28 years old. He just came off a disappointing season for a different team in a different system etc. He missed games with injuries so he might have been carrying an injury in the games he played as well. He largely played lights out for the Cowboys in our system and provided he's healthy I would expect him to comeback and have a strong season for the Dolphins.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Does that surprise you?

There is a lot of people who know it’s stupid but would do it anyways.. The Jones’s included.

You got people all over this board acknowledging that we’re going to be mediocre but when you have a “franchise” quarterback you have to hold on to them at all costs.
With this team? It doesn't matter.
They had a QB cheap. What did they do?
They had a QB cheap a couple times and what did they do?

You peeps will never learn.

You'll ignore this comment and continue braying like a donkey.

Last edited:

nobody

Reaction score
If your sold Dak he is enough to be a Franchise QB you have to sign him. Franchise doesn’t mean elite.

The opposition doesn’t believe he’s even a Franchise QB.

But if your QB is wanting elite money and you believe he's only enough to be a franchise QB, do you overpay him at the expensive of talent elsewhere? Your argument is black and white when the issue isn't. There's a reason that teams who have QB's who earn more than 13% of the cap don't win Super Bowls.

Dak is good enough. I like him. I want to keep him, but not if he demands 18-20%. He just does not elevate the team that much.

Proof

Reaction score
Does that surprise you?

not the tone or interpretation I had at all. It was a devils advocate piece and then was dissected and ultimately arrived at the logical conclusion.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
But if your QB is wanting elite money and you believe he's only enough to be a franchise QB, do you overpay him at the expensive of talent elsewhere? Your argument is black and white when the issue isn't. There's a reason that teams who have QB's who earn more than 13% of the cap don't win Super Bowls.

Dak is good enough. I like him. I want to keep him, but not if he demands 18-20%. He just does not elevate the team that much.
There’s no guarantees for a SB either way. But there’s a reason most teams reach for a QB to begin with either in the draft, in a trade or contract extension.

Because you basically have nothing without a Franchise QB with rare exceptions. Dak has proven he’s enough to take a chance on . We’ve had some success reaching the brink of a championship appearance on a couple occasions.

It’s enough to try and build around. We’ve already made other investments around him in supporting cast. We’ve brought in a proven HC to optimize his talent and supporting cast now.

If it doesn’t work out we blow it up in a few years and start over. But this isn’t the time to start over. And I’ll be shocked if our ownership with all the moves they’ve made leading up to this don’t follow suit.

Nav22

Reaction score
Agree.

Eventually my radical opinion will become the mainstream opinion and everyone will have suddenly known all along that not overpaying for decent QB play was the right choice.

The Cowboys can’t expect to duplicate that once-in-a-generation Day 3 draft value. But they might be able to plug one of the refined rookie quarterback prospects such as Zach Wilson or Mac Jones into their offense and experience similar short-term success. That shift would dramatically lower the team’s floor for the 2020s, but it would also raise its ceiling. Already up against the salary cap, an expensive Prescott extension would accelerate the hemorrhaging of blue-chip free agents that started with Byron Jones last year. By resetting with a rookie quarterback, the Cowboys could retain their other stars and build like the Rams and Eagles from recent seasons, teams that leveraged the cost savings of Jared Goff’s and Carson Wentz’s inexpensive rookie deals into exceptional roster depth and eventual Super Bowl berths.
Remember when I exposed you as being a complete know-nothing whose definition of “elite QB” never would have included a guy named Drew Brees?

Then remember how you were too big a coward to respond to that, after I exposed you?

Because you were embarrassed about being tarred and feathered YET AGAIN for another stupid QB take? On the level of “DURRRR DALTON WILL BE JUST AS GOOD AS DAK YOU GUYS!!!”

Good times.
:lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Remember when I exposed you as being a complete know-nothing whose definition of “elite QB” never would have included a guy named Drew Brees?

Then remember how you were too big a coward to respond to that, after I exposed you?

Because you were embarrassed about being tarred and feathered YET AGAIN for another stupid QB take? On the level of “DURRRR DALTON WILL BE JUST AS GOOD AS DAK YOU GUYS!!!”

Good times.
:lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:

Only Rockport thought you exposed me.

I literally posted a video backing what I said.. Elite QBs consistently make the playoffs and you were like nuh uh what bout dat der Drew Breese dur dur dur.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
In the file cabinet of Nobody Gives A Crap About Dalton Except For Delusional Cowboys Fans.

that man will get us into the playoffs and throw a pick six or two as soon as he gets in there so you best put some respect on that mans name.