D Line has me real nervous

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Marinelli will back the coverage off 7 yards :(.
Yeah, that's my fear. He'll be concerned with the big play and this team lives off the big play. He also doesn't want to put his OC and QB in a hole.

LOL, if this DL makes the OP nervous, think about how Marinelli feels. The man lost his two starting DE's and MLB in the off season and we drafted a LB that can't play.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The lack of pressure upfront will affect our secondary especially on Sunday having Victor Cruz and OBJ to contend with. Even if Cruz isn't what he was we still have to account for him which will help free up OBJ. If we put too much on trying to stop OBJ, Cruz could end up having a big day. Having to contend with a couple of speed receivers is a scary thought when you look at what we have in the secondary. I'm just hoping the defense isn't as bad as it could end up being especially the first 4 games without DLaw or Gregory.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
We better hope Victor Cruz isn't what he used to be, you pair the old Victor Cruz with OBJ and it's OMG!!! I keep thinking back to the game Cruz had against us in the season finale in 2011. He had 6 catches for 178 yards which included a 74 yard TD sprint that left TNew eating his dust. I doubt very seriously Cruz is the same player he was then but even 80% of what he was, paired with QBJ is still an alarming thought against our defense.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
I have no expectations. After the last few years even at 12-4 our defense was pretty awful. Anything good we do on defense this year is a plus.

the_h0wey

Reaction score
In the movie Major League after they go through spring training the local news paper post the roster a couple of guys in the diner reads some of the names and says I've never heard of some of these guys before. Another group of fans say Who are these #$*@ing guys. That's how I'm feeling. I'd post the video from YouTube but their is adult language in it and I know we are running a family friendly forum here.

I feel good about our tackles, but I'm definitely nervous about our DE's

haleyrules

Reaction score
This defense will kill the Cowboys chances this year. There is no pretending or sugar coating it. It's simple. The defense is NOT good enough by a country mile!!

silver

Reaction score
If we can't provide pressure with our front. four a lot of blitzing will leave us vulnerable to big plays. If you live by the blitz you'll die by it.
True. Hopefully we lead most of the time and control the clock on offense where we can just tee off on the QB most of the time. With our D-Line they can dink and dunk us to death if we don't have a lead.

cross

Reaction score
While still not great, this is the best group of DTs we've had in a long time.

And if Beatty is plugged in at RT (or if Newhouse just holds that spot down for some reason), I think Irving is a mismatch for them.

Irving is a mismatch for most, but those guys are especially unathletic. Irvings long reach, strength and fluidity could really payoff.

And Ereck Flowers has terrible footwork. I think he'll be fine against what we trot out there, but he's not some all pro here.
Our depth is the biggest problem. The middle should be pretty tight. Dline will be sufficient to win games. Injuries could be the kiss of death... but not so much in the Dline, it's in the LB core. We are scary thin.

cross

Reaction score
I still think our starters will over acheive, bend not break, points given up by defense should be around 20 to 23 on average. This offense will cover in most games if that is the case. Help is on the way, roster gets better as season goes on. Crossing my fingers on health of LBs.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Greg Hardy.

It would make the talent at DE look completely different, that's for sure.

I mean, at this point, people are trying to sell us on Jack Crawford and Kyle Wilber? How low can you go?

:lmao:

Reactions: BAT

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I always chuckle when people throw the name Mincey in there as if he was some bum off the street.

Mincey had an 8 or 9 sack year in Jacksonville before joining the Cowboys. He was a far more accomplished DE than any player we will trot out at DE 4 days from now.

Orlando Scandrick is our 'secret weapon' for pass rush. After all, he has more career sacks than anybody else on the team!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dallas needs some more bodies @ DE - rotating JAGs are better than exhausted JAGs - the "hold the line for for 4 weeks" plan is beyond dumb when you only need to add a few average players to shore up a real weak spot. Perhaps they are waiting until after the 1st week to do so.

They're waiting until it's confirmed terrible and they can no longer sell it to some fans. When everybody - including them - sees it for the train wreck that it is, it will become a huge focal point. Much too late to possibly do anything about it this season, but a huge focal point nonetheless.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I thought like you. That they would rotate a bunch of guys, so I was surprised when I saw the initial roster only had 4 DEs on it with one being Tapper, who is battling a bad back. Yeah, I know Wilber is going to play some DE but even then, that's not a very deep rotation.

"Not very deep" is being far too kind. They're now reduced to putting Jack of all trades, master of none Crawford out there at LDE just so they have a body! And after almost zero preseason action, Benson Mayowa is supposed to be this team's lead pass rusher at RDE?

And suddenly, Kyle Wilber - who everybody wanted run out of town - is now part of the answer for the pass rush. Truly remarkable the depths this team and its' fanbase will stoop to in order to justify abject failure.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You just contributed to its length by complaining about it.

If you don't like it, why not just ignore it? These complaints about threads within threads are ridiculous. No one is forcing anyone to read or respond and this thread happens to be about a part of the D Sucks, not the entire D sucking. And the OP crossed a baseball analogy from one of the greatest sports comedies of all time and deserves recognition not criticism.

You're talking to someone who puts half the forum on 'Ignore' because they can't handle anyone with a difference of opinion or someone who's not pumping out sunshine 24/7.

I wouldn't waste the effort.

plasticman

Reaction score
A defensive line starting two 3rd rounders, a 5th rounder, and an undrafted free agent....backed up by two rookies, a 3rd and 4th rounder, and two former rookie free agents.

What is there to be nervous about? Unless you are referring to the fact that two of them are stil listed as questionable.

We have to hope that they are as mean as they are young and inexperienced. We have to hope they are all high motor guys that are going to give everything they have. We have to hope they are not on the field long enough to fall apart in the 2nd half. Possible, but frankly improbable.

We have to hope that the Cowboy running game dominates in legendary fashion and keeps the Giant offense next to the Gatorade table.

Daillest88

Reaction score
We have a great rotation with our DTs, if a defense end goes down T.Crawford will move to left end. I still believe Irving is this year's "secret sauce"