Dak Can't Throw A WR Open

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
No, he wasn't. He had the best offensive line, the best running back, a terrific group of receivers,v and a league that was just figuring him out.

But all the clues were there to see. His limitations in the pocket and inability to read defenses. By year's end, good defenses were toying with him.
Yeah he had all of that his rookie year.....had that same personnel last year and they sucked. But he was the one the league figures out lol. I guess the league figured out Romo too when he stunk in limited action in 2016 then right? The league must really suck to let Dak dominate them.....oh yeah he caught them by surprise lol......

sbark

Reaction score
In throwing a wr open a qb has to have the offensive concept down and what type of defense hes going against. If he doesnt have confidence in either one then he'll only throw the ball when the wr breaks open. He wont have the anticipation skill required to know, before he throws, what's going to happen.

Imo Dak doesn't have that yet.
Will he obtain it? We see s.lee instincts on display, other lb come and go but cannot build the instinct anywhere near lee level.

Seems as if instincts are seeded when young and either built on from there. Just doesn't seem a lite bulb all of a sudden comes on later

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Well I think the possibilities are a lot worse than winning big games. If Dak doesn't improve, it might be that Dak doesn't win you very many games if defensive coordinators can scheme games to his inability to be a deep threat. That is my greatest fear with Dak. And I'm not saying that Dak sucks and that we can't win with Dak. I am saying that Dak has to work hard this off season and overcome his weakness. I've seen enough traits in Dak that if he can overcome his deficiency that I think he can be great.
Deep threat is overrated. Teams throw it deep 2 or 3 times a game. If that. It's not smart football to throw it deep all game especially with our offensive line.

and he does have to work hard. He has a long way to go and this team IMO, aren't doing him any favors.

erod

Reaction score
Yeah he had all of that his rookie year.....had that same personnel last year and they sucked. But he was the one the league figures out lol. I guess the league figured out Romo too when he stunk in limited action in 2016 then right? The league must really suck to let Dak dominate them.....oh yeah he caught them by surprise lol......
What? Romo played one series in 2016, and he threw a touchdown pass to Terrance Williams.

Batman1980

Reaction score
Dak doesn't move the chains. Completing a pass is useless of you punt right after.

Zeke is the chain mover/big play threat, especially now that Witten is gone. Dak is just here to drive the bus and make the occasional big play. I do hope Linehan improves this year, I place a lot of the blame for last year on him.

erod

Reaction score
"means nothing" is the argument
completion % means a lot more then nothing
The only stats I care about in football other than the score is turnover ratio and 3rd down completion percentage on offense and defense. The rest are trivial and relative.

erod

Reaction score
Well it all gets complicated, I dont know who actually designs the plays, or what they have in mind when they do.
I would throw the old playbook int the garbage can and make a whole new one based on what dak and offense can do the best.

Each person sees dak differently, and coaches are persons lol.
I dont know how linehan and JG see dak.
I do know JG prefers to make QB's classic pocket passers, and that isn't dak.
They are throwing it out. They're going to try the Mississippi State thing. Yay.

Batman1980

Reaction score
The only stats I care about in football other than the score is turnover ratio and 3rd down completion percentage on offense and defense. The rest are trivial and relative.

All those times we held the ball for 10 minutes and kicked a FG because of a holding penalty in the red zone. Then watched the other team score almost instantly. That my friends is how you win TOP but lose games.

waving monkey

Reaction score
those are certainly good

erod

Reaction score
All those times we held the ball for 10 minutes and kicked a FG because of a holding penalty in the red zone. Then watched the other team score almost instantly. That my friends is how you win TOP but lose games.
Yep. Time of possession can be very overrated. If you score on an 80-yard play, intercept a pass for a touchdown, and return a punt for a touchdown, you have 21 points with 10 seconds of TOP.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You mean when he went 3-1, beat the Giants in the waning minutes, and broke his collar bone in two of those games?
No, I'm talking about when he had 5 touchdowns and 7 picks. You want to use his record to prove how well he played but you don't take into account Dak's record for how well he played.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Yep. Time of possession can be very overrated. If you score on an 80-yard play, intercept a pass for a touchdown, and return a punt for a touchdown, you have 21 points with 10 seconds of TOP.

None of that doesn’t mean TOP isn’t important.

TOP isn’t just about points scored. It’s also about less time for the other team to score points and also physically wearing down the opponent, making it easier to score on them in the 4th quarter when it matters most.

TOP isn’t overrated. There’s a reason every successful coach and pro football players themselves talk about TOP and why it’s an important battle to win.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Deep threat is overrated. Teams throw it deep 2 or 3 times a game. If that. It's not smart football to throw it deep all game especially with our offensive line.

and he does have to work hard. He has a long way to go and this team IMO, aren't doing him any favors.

I think you are missing the point of being able to be a deep threat. It's about keeping defenses honest. If they don't think that Dak is a threat in the deep game, then the defense will only play 2/3 of the field, making Dak windows smaller since it is easier to cover the receivers if you only play 2/3 of the field. Think of why defenses get tougher in the red zone. -- shorter field.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I think you are missing the point of being able to be a deep threat. It's about keeping defenses honest. If they don't think that Dak is a threat in the deep game, then the defense will only play 2/3 of the field, making Dak windows smaller since it is easier to cover the receivers if you only play 2/3 of the field. Think of why defenses get tougher in the red zone. -- shorter field.
It's not just about if the defense think a QB is a deep threat, but if they feel our WRs are a deep threat. Brice was really our only deep threat and probably didn't see the field as much as he should have. Brice was the only WR to make plays downfield. Teams didn't worry about Dez going deep anymore, he was losing a step and inconsistent in his route running and TWill has never been a deep threat. I know we make fun of his body catching, but it does limit his ability to make a catch and an easier matchup for DBs. The addition of Thompson and Gallup should help with that.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
It's not just about if the defense think a QB is a deep threat, but if they feel our WRs are a deep threat. Brice was really our only deep threat and probably didn't see the field as much as he should have. Brice was the only WR to make plays downfield. Teams didn't worry about Dez going deep anymore, he was losing a step and inconsistent in his route running and TWill has never been a deep threat. I know we make fun of his body catching, but it does limit his ability to make a catch and an easier matchup for DBs. The addition of Thompson and Gallup should help with that.

The thing is, the defensive players from opposing teams specifically said it was Dak that they had figured out. It was talked about during a game and then discussed on local sports radio. It's like people are forgetting this and acting like it never happened.