Video: Dak doesn’t deserve long term deal until SB win

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Jerry and McClay should make Dak play under the franchise tag and make him prove that he is worth big contract by winning a SB. No excuses. DO NOT CAVE IN.

Where were you when Romo got to be the highest paid QB in the NFL and Jerry said he expected "Peyton Manning" time effort? Its ironic how some Cowboy fans have selective amnesia. What Jerry Jones basically was saying is that Romo was not putting in "Peyton Manning" time effort but he was going to make him the highest paid player anyway. Everyone knows Romo was not the top QB in the League either, just like Dak.

star-ving

Reaction score
Love the trolling. But serious What I don’t understand from the pay Dak whatever he wants crowd is how they never mention that Dak has made over 50 million off the field being the face of the Cowboys. Dak is not hurting for money. At this point it’s all ego trying to force more money out of the front office. If he was smart he would sign already to free up money to get one of the handful of defense changing players still on the market.
I would totally get it if he was say...Antonio Cromartie.

star-ving

Reaction score
Where were you when Romo got to be the highest paid QB in the NFL and Jerry said he expected "Peyton Manning" time effort? Its ironic how some Cowboy fans have selective amnesia. What Jerry Jones basically was saying is that Romo was not putting in "Peyton Manning" time effort but he was going to make him the highest paid player anyway. Everyone knows Romo was not the top QB in the League either, just like Dak.
That’s because Jerry and his Ego had to show the people that he was so smart and struck gold with a UDFA just like the Pats did and pay him elite money when in fact he was not elite.

Steven is now in charge and they prefer not to go down that road again.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
That's not true. It mandates what you can pay on the rookie scale but it does not prevent a rookie not already making maxed rookie money from getting a raise to that maxed rookie money. After his third season, he was eligible for an extension and they still failed to act. You can stop making excuses for the Jones boy's abuse of Dak. It's about damn time Dak dished out some abuse of his own to the Jones pocketbook.

you just said after his 3rd season. In your original post you said after his rookie season. You are all over the place

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
you just said after his 3rd season. In your original post you said after his rookie season. You are all over the place
Why are you having such trouble keeping up? I said he deserved a raise to the rookie max after his rookie season. After his 3rd season, he was eligible for an extension but still didn't get it but he should have at least got a bonus at that time too. So that's twice they have failed to show some appreciation. I believe when they made him play through the full 4 years of his rookie contract, it was a sign to Dak of a lack of appreciation. They gave him lips service that he was their guy which is nice but what really counts is the money. I don't blame Dak for asking for the moon at this time.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Why are you having such trouble keeping up? I said he deserved a raise to the rookie max after his rookie season. After his 3rd season, he was eligible for an extension but still didn't get it but he should have at least got a bonus at that time too. So that's twice they have failed to show some appreciation. I believe when they made him play through the full 4 years of his rookie contract, it was a sign to Dak of a lack of appreciation. They gave him lips service that he was their guy which is nice but what really counts is the money. I don't blame Dak for asking for the moon at this time.
I don’t mind Dak playing hard ball because he has significantly outperformed his rookie contract. That said, the team just can’t give Dak a raise or a bonus. They were able to give him performance escalators, which increased his salary. His rookie contract was 4 year ~$2.7 million total and he got paid ~$4 million due to the escalators. They did what they could but were limited.

You’re right in that he could have signed an extension after his 3rd year and they were in negotiations to do so, but Dak didn’t sign. Turns out that was a smart move because instead of taking an offer reported to be $33 million per year, waiting has the team reportedly offering $35 million a year. Not signing early has been beneficial to Dak despite the haters claiming he would regret not signing a $30 million per year contract last year (when $30 million offer was originally being rumored).

InTheZone

Reaction score
You're kidding yourself if you think you know what effort any player puts into the team. I would feel confident in a Romo-led team vs any Manning, Brees, or Brady-led team. Swap Dak and that confidence goes way down...that's the difference

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
You're kidding yourself if you think you know what effort any player puts into the team. I would feel confident in a Romo-led team vs any Manning, Brees, or Brady-led team. Swap Dak and that confidence goes way down...that's the difference
They did swap Dak in. 2016. Prescott became a day 1 starter from a 4th round pick and 3rd QB on the roster. And what none of the Dak bashers talk about or are willing to admit is that the team played great under Prescott. 11 wins in a row. So that should tell you how the team responded to Romo losing his start. It led to Romo retiring.

InTheZone

Reaction score
They did swap Dak in. 2016. Prescott became a day 1 starter from a 4th round pick and 3rd QB on the roster. And what none of the Dak bashers talk about or are willing to admit is that the team played great under Prescott. 11 wins in a row. So that should tell you how the team responded to Romo losing his start. It led to Romo retiring.
11 wins in a row was a good sign, but again doesn't tell the whole story. Lots of red flags then are still present. A lot of his positives then are still present. So far it seems Dak has or is close to hitting his ceiling.

GMO415

Reaction score
How many SBs did Romo get before his $100 Mill contract?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
11 wins in a row was a good sign, but again doesn't tell the whole story. Lots of red flags then are still present. A lot of his positives then are still present. So far it seems Dak has or is close to hitting his ceiling.
Based on what? He's improved as time has gone on. I mean, it's not even debatable he improved from year 3 to 4.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I don’t mind Dak playing hard ball because he has significantly outperformed his rookie contract. That said, the team just can’t give Dak a raise or a bonus. They were able to give him performance escalators, which increased his salary. His rookie contract was 4 year ~$2.7 million total and he got paid ~$4 million due to the escalators. They did what they could but were limited.

You’re right in that he could have signed an extension after his 3rd year and they were in negotiations to do so, but Dak didn’t sign. Turns out that was a smart move because instead of taking an offer reported to be $33 million per year, waiting has the team reportedly offering $35 million a year. Not signing early has been beneficial to Dak despite the haters claiming he would regret not signing a $30 million per year contract last year (when $30 million offer was originally being rumored).
Thanks for the post. I accept what you are saying about the team not being able to pay him any more than they did. I think its wrong to lock a guy into a contract like that when he has outperformed it. But if that's the rules then that is the rules.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Based on this reasoning there have been less than 50 QBs deserving of a long-term contract over the last 50+ years.

The problem now though is that every team that has a QB who isn't completely terrible is making their guy the highest paid QB in the league.

Meanwhile.. Rookie deals and vets making 13% or less are winning championships.

If Dak was an elite special player i'd be all for it but it would still worry me. I feel like Dak can never reach Romo's level as a player and Romo never won anything.

The team has to be strong and if you give your QB that much money you're just saying goodbye to your Superbowl chances.

Pay elite player elite money.. Fine... Don't pay good players the most money in football.

conner01

Reaction score
Dak deserved a better contract after his rookie season. The Jones boys messed up when that did not happen. Making him stick to that 4th rounder deal for 4 years sent a message to Dak that has him squeezing every penny he can get out of his current negotiations. The Jones boys created this mess.

Dak couldn’t have been given a new deal after his rookie year

conner01

Reaction score
This simply isn't true. Dak wasn't even eligible for an extension until last offseason, where both sides had strong negotiations and nearly had an agreement until Dak ultimately chose to bet on himself for an even better contract. You've simply made a strawman argument using false pretenses to pin the team as in the wrong.
The CBA wouldn’t allow a new deal after rookie year
Last year was first chance to do a deal