Video: Dak doesn’t deserve long term deal until SB win

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
The problem now though is that every team that has a QB who isn't completely terrible is making their guy the highest paid QB in the league.

Meanwhile.. Rookie deals and vets making 13% or less are winning championships.

If Dak was an elite special player i'd be all for it but it would still worry me. I feel like Dak can never reach Romo's level as a player and Romo never won anything.

The team has to be strong and if you give your QB that much money you're just saying goodbye to your Superbowl chances.

Pay elite player elite money.. Fine... Don't pay good players the most money in football.
Market value has nothing to do with what fans consider elite. If a team likes a QB or is sold on him, they lock him in long term. Which is exactly what Dallas is trying to do.
Also, I'm not sure why fans try to compare Romo to Prescott using absolutes like " he'll never reach Romo's level." I mean, you're basing that on what? 4 years to 14? Romo wasn't at his best WELL after his 4th season. Hell, he even said himself it took him years to develop and throw the ball well.
But what we can do is compare the two based on their first 4 seasons. If you do that fairly, I don't see how any realistic fan would come away with the idea that Prescott will never be as good.

There's also a contradiction in your theory. On one hand you suggest paying over 13% won't allow you to win super bowls, but then you suggest if Prescott was elite, then you would pay him. I think this comes down to an emotional bias.

conner01

Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I'm hearing. I think that sucks to be locked into a contract that you have overperformed.
That’s the cba they agreed to
That’s why I can’t blame players for wanting all they can get
The owners have a set salary for 4-5 years of your career depending on where you are picked
A players career depending on his position can be half over before they actual get a chance to negotiate a contract
In the end I think Dak gets signed and it will be around 35

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Thanks for the post. I accept what you are saying about the team not being able to pay him any more than they did. I think its wrong to lock a guy into a contract like that when he has outperformed it. But if that's the rules then that is the rules.
I think the flip side of that pancake is what maintains the status quo.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

There's also a contradiction in your theory. On one hand you suggest paying over 13% won't allow you to win super bowls, but then you suggest if Prescott was elite, then you would pay him. I think this comes down to an emotional bias.

I think Romo was elite but also not worth the money.

I'm very good at separating my emotion because my bias is towards the team and winning Championsips over any player. I like Superbowls more than any 1 player.

If I had Patrick Mahomes and he hadn't won a Superbowl i'd have to still pay him because he is an incredible playmaker and does things you can not teach.

What Dak does is replaceable.

He's a great leader sure.. On the field though there is nothing special. I wouldn't pay Alex Smith.. Thats how I see Dak. A slightly better Alex Smith.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I think Romo was elite but also not worth the money.

I'm very good at separating my emotion because my bias is towards the team and winning Championsips over any player. I like Superbowls more than any 1 player.

If I had Patrick Mahomes and he hadn't won a Superbowl i'd have to still pay him because he is an incredible playmaker and does things you can not teach.

What Dak does is replaceable.

He's a great leader sure.. On the field though there is nothing special. I wouldn't pay Alex Smith.. Thats how I see Dak. A slightly better Alex Smith.
Romo was not elite. Elite is the best of the best. He led the NFL in anything relevant one season out of 14. Let's not blow him up. The fans who suggest Prescott is average and could easily replaced are out of their minds and have successfully escaped reality.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Romo was not elite. Elite is the best of the best. He led the NFL in anything relevant one season out of 14. Let's not blow him up. The fans who suggest Prescott is average and could easily replaced are out of their minds and have successfully escaped reality.

Romo had elite traits and did things you just can not teach.

It's debatable whether or not he was elite but I think he was much closer to a guy like Drew Brees than people think.

Romo's quick release, ability to buy time, control an offense, and just simply being a playmaker IMO made him elite.

What got him in trouble was

1. Garrett

2. Contract

3. The contract making us not protect him very well for a few seasons and having almost no defense outside of D.Ware who was the Tony Romo of the defense and people also said he was overrated.

Dallas didn't start to figure out what to do until about 2014 and in 2016 Dak reaped all of the benefits of the Romo friendly formula and has ever since.

But the problem is you guys ignore elite traits and thats why you think

Dak > Wentz

Dak has been a little more reliable and maybe just as productive but Dak hasn't blown Wentz out of the water enough to ignore the unteachable traits that Wentz has that over a career will win out.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Romo's best years were wasted by an extremely poor GM and mediocre coaching. His window closed after 2012 because his body couldn't take the grind anymore. A HC like Parcells, with the staff he generally brings to the mix, would have had Romo and the Cowboys on a much different trajectory in 2007 and beyond.

Phillips and Garrett provided little if any value added from a coaching standpoint. It kills me to see how they wasted hat 2007 roster and ran the club into the ground. Once Jerry and Co. finally awoke and realized the importance of roster building, Garrett was not the guy to close the deal on the field and Romo's days were done.

Romo an elite QB? There was real genius in his play and I think better coaching would have limited those moments of sloppy, undisciplined breakdowns in his game that led to disastrous results.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
430lwo.jpg

Big_D

Reaction score
Romo's best years were wasted by an extremely poor GM and mediocre coaching. His window closed after 2012 because his body couldn't take the grind anymore. A HC like Parcells, with the staff he generally brings to the mix, would have had Romo and the Cowboys on a much different trajectory in 2007 and beyond.

Phillips and Garrett provided little if any value added from a coaching standpoint. It kills me to see how they wasted hat 2007 roster and ran the club into the ground. Once Jerry and Co. finally awoke and realized the importance of roster building, Garrett was not the guy to close the deal on the field and Romo's days were done.

Romo an elite QB? There was real genius in his play and I think better coaching would have limited those moments of sloppy, undisciplined breakdowns in his game that led to disastrous results.

That window was never really open the way Jerry ran this team. The hiring of Garrett and Phillips in 2007, what a joke! Then the Williams trade, the drafts through the meat of Romos career, not building a line. The guy was 32 when they finally started drafting linemen! lol That window was open for a minute, but Jerry slammed it shut and nailed it.. then glued it.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Romo had elite traits and did things you just can not teach.

It's debatable whether or not he was elite but I think he was much closer to a guy like Drew Brees than people think.

Romo's quick release, ability to buy time, control an offense, and just simply being a playmaker IMO made him elite.

What got him in trouble was

1. Garrett

2. Contract

3. The contract making us not protect him very well for a few seasons and having almost no defense outside of D.Ware who was the Tony Romo of the defense and people also said he was overrated.

Dallas didn't start to figure out what to do until about 2014 and in 2016 Dak reaped all of the benefits of the Romo friendly formula and has ever since.

But the problem is you guys ignore elite traits and thats why you think

Dak > Wentz

Dak has been a little more reliable and maybe just as productive but Dak hasn't blown Wentz out of the water enough to ignore the unteachable traits that Wentz has that over a career will win out.

To me, the real problem is that Wentz is not very good either. I mean, he has ridiculous talent, he truly does but, he hasn't really done all that much in his time in the NFL. We compare Dak and Wentz and Goff as if they were Aikman, Young and Favre. None of those three QBs are near as good, at this point in their respective careers, as were 8, 8 and 4.

That's just the truth.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Exactly, we gave Romo his first big contract after starting 17 games in October of 2007, during a successful season. We had too many opportunities to sign him to an extension, and now the FO is up against a wall because we used the franchise tag.
Signing or extending Dak after his rookie year (as described earlier) was not even legally an option.

He could've been extended after his 3rd year (so before last season).
They supposedly made a 5 year offer in the 30mil/year range but Dak felt he could do better. Now the offer is reportedly 5 years at 35/yr, but that too is not enough. Dak reportedly wants 35-37/yr for 4 years with the guaranteed money (105-110 range) they are offering for 5...OR a 5 year deal at 35-37/yr for the first 4 and then 45ish for that 5th year.

cowboygo

Reaction score
Signing or extending Dak after his rookie year (as described earlier) was not even legally an option.

He could've been extended after his 3rd year (so before last season).
They supposedly made a 5 year offer in the 30mil/year range but Dak felt he could do better. Now the offer is reportedly 5 years at 35/yr, but that too is not enough. Dak reportedly wants 35-37/yr for 4 years with the guaranteed money (105-110 range) they are offering for 5...OR a 5 year deal at 35-37/yr for the first 4 and then 45ish for that 5th year.
Good point. I just feel had we gotten ahead and maybe sweetened the deal in the 1st place, we'd be in a better spot today.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Good point. I just feel had we gotten ahead and maybe sweetened the deal in the 1st place, we'd be in a better spot today.

When you say "Sweetened the deal" what do you believe that would have taken?

cowboygo

Reaction score
When you say "Sweetened the deal" what do you believe that would have taken?
Its easy to pick a number now knowing what Goff & Wentz received. But if we initially offered 30M, I'd say offering 33.5M would be sweetening it. Essentially giving Goff's contract before Goff signed his.