Video: Dak doesn’t deserve long term deal until SB win

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I'm hearing. I think that sucks to be locked into a contract that you have overperformed.
What about contracts where players have underperformed? It cuts both ways. Albert Haynesworth is the perfect example.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Jerry and McClay should make Dak play under the franchise tag and make him prove that he is worth big contract by winning a SB. No excuses. DO NOT CAVE IN.

Maybe in your dream world NFL but if every team did that then 99% of QB's coming off their rookie contract wouldn't get resigned. In the last 20 years there has been exactly TWO QB that won Super Bowls while still under their rookie contract, Mahomes and Wilson. Stop trying to make the real NFL like your dream world NFL.

Hadenough

Reaction score
I think Dak deserves a long term deal. He has earned it by playing like an average NFL starting QB. The problem is he doesnt want to accept a deal for 22 mil a year. This is not on the Jones boys either. They have offered him way more than he is worth. The ball is in Daks court and it appears like he doesnt want to be a Cowboy.

John813

Reaction score
I think Dak deserves a long term deal. He has earned it by playing like an average NFL starting QB. The problem is he doesnt want to accept a deal for 22 mil a year. This is not on the Jones boys either. They have offered him way more than he is worth. The ball is in Daks court and it appears like he doesnt want to be a Cowboy.

You're not in 2020 if you think an average QB salary is 22 mil a year. Just this past offseason a true average QB, Ryan Tannehill, just signed a 4 year, 118mil contract, or 29.5mil AAV.

Last edited:

mcmvp

Reaction score
You're not in 2020 if you think an average QB salary is 22 mil a year. Just this past offseason a true average QB, Ryan Tannehill, just signed a 4 year, 118mil contract, or 29.5mil AAV.

The average of the top 32 salaries right now is 18 mil

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/quarterback/

Not all of these players are starters. For instance Alex Smith is included, and Mahomes currently ranks 34th in money

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Maybe in your dream world NFL but if every team did that then 99% of QB's coming off their rookie contract wouldn't get resigned. In the last 20 years there has been exactly TWO QB that won Super Bowls while still under their rookie contract, Mahomes and Wilson. Stop trying to make the real NFL like your dream world NFL.

Mahomes and Wilson, one is the best QB in the NFL IMO and the other is as good a young QB as I've seen come into the league since Wilson. What's wrong with dreaming about having a QB like one of those two guys? I don't get it?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The average of the top 32 salaries right now is 18 mil

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/quarterback/

Not all of these players are starters. For instance Alex Smith is included, and Mahomes currently ranks 34th in money

This is the problem right? You see a lot of people say that QB average Salaries are this or that because QBs like Tannehill or whomever got paid X but the truth is that there is an average and it appears to be 18 mil. Now, is Dak worth more then that? Perhaps he is, that's not for me to say. But just because his contract is up this season, it doesn't immediately mean that he is entitled to record breaking money either. I don't know where this idea came from, it wasn't always that way but somehow, that just seems like where we are at now. It's like you can't pay Dak above average, you can only give him a record breaking deal. I don't understand where that comes from honestly.

mcmvp

Reaction score
An average QB, not an average of the top 32 QB salaries , which is skewed due to rookie contracts and highly paid backups.

It will always be skewed. There will always be quarterbacks playing on rookie deals… And there will always be those at the top making more than they probably should. But at the end of the day, the average is the average.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
435ijy.jpg
He tried that in his very first playoff game. Brought the team back from down 18 to tie it late and we know what happened next. I guess he couldn't "will" the defense.
Checkmate! :muttley:

kevm3

Reaction score
Why would Dak even resign here if the front office treated him like that?

mcmvp

Reaction score
This is the problem right? You see a lot of people say that QB average Salaries are this or that because QBs like Tannehill or whomever got paid X but the truth is that there is an average and it appears to be 18 mil. Now, is Dak worth more then that? Perhaps he is, that's not for me to say. But just because his contract is up this season, it doesn't immediately mean that he is entitled to record breaking money either. I don't know where this idea came from, it wasn't always that way but somehow, that just seems like where we are at now. It's like you can't pay Dak above average, you can only give him a record breaking deal. I don't understand where that comes from honestly.

I don’t understand it either. I think it’s one reason why Belichick is successful. He doesn’t subscribe to that insanity. He would never pay Dak the kind of money being discussed. Heck...he didn’t even want to pay Brady that kind of money.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I don’t understand it either. I think it’s one reason why Belichick is successful. He doesn’t subscribe to that insanity. He would never pay Dak the kind of money being discussed. Heck...he didn’t even want to pay Brady that kind of money.

Well, we are going to see if it works without Brady in New England but I guess I tend to agree. I just think it's very important to manage your cap. No reason to over pay.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mahomes and Wilson, one is the best QB in the NFL IMO and the other is as good a young QB as I've seen come into the league since Wilson. What's wrong with dreaming about having a QB like one of those two guys? I don't get it?
Not a thing wrong with dreaming about Mahomes and Wilson, but doing so has nothing to do with Dak.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

That was a reply to someone who said not to resign a QB until they win a Super Bowl and I pointed out that in the last 20 years there has only been two QB's that did that so that would mean the 99% of the QB's coming off their rookie contracts wouldn't get signed I didn't say anything about how good either QB is.or if anyone wished they had either QB.