Dak: Don't plan on being 3-5. However, that's up to the front office. You know what I mean

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Kevin Gogan was a Mauler beast, he and Williams were probably the nastiest duo in the league by far..just mean mo's...Mark Tuinei was damn good also.
So they were all better than Smith, Martin, and Fredbeard?

I am just asking a question?

Chasing6

Reaction score
We had no problem running the ball with prime Zeke ...... what have we put out there since then ......

And nice deflect ....... was the O-line that Dak had not good? Smith, Martin, Fredbeard ...... were they not good?
The entire team needs balance. If you have to score 30+ points a game to have a chance of winning, it maybe entertaining, but it is not a good team.

So yes, you can have a good OLine and your team can still suck.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The entire team needs balance. If you have to score 30+ points a game to have a chance of winning, it maybe entertaining, but it is not a good team.

So yes, you can have a good OLine and your team can still suck.
But the argument your friend (that you commented on) was making is that Troy could do nothing without a great line ..... and Dak did not have that.

SO what is the excuse now that we have clarified that Dak had a great o-line most of his career.?

blueblood70

Reaction score
but not near the team that Troy won with..Troy is a great QB but lets not act like Romo or Dak has/had anything close to the roster that won those 90's SB's.

Troy would have had a stroke righ there on the field with the penalties and miscues the 16,22 and 23 teams were plagued with.
100 :hammer:you beat me to it these people act like Troy Aikman somehow carry his teams when he actually had pretty bad stats for a guy who had one of the greatest offensive lines and the greatest runner in the greatest run game and one of the best defenses and the best coaching staff of all time... And somehow he's getting credit for this yes Troy was good but in my opinion I don't think he was better than Romo or Prescott you put them on troy's teams and I think they still go the same distance people are gonna argue it all they want but Romo and Prescott have never had teams anywhere close to that they've had resemblance they've had pieces that reminded you of the triplets but then they didn't have the defense but they had pieces on defense that were similar and for one thing I can say for sure they never had a coaching staff like Roger or Troy.. Both those guys had significant team advantages and the coaching Staffs were out of this world.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score

hard to say they played in a diferent time but for their time that 90's line was the best no question...right? Smith, Martin, Fred were great also but they dont stack up to what that line did...of course the teams were not nearly the same on both sides of the ball... I dont think we have had a defense even close to what those 90's D's were..and i would take Irvin over anything Romo /Dak had at WR in a second...you want Emmitt or Murray/Zeke..again the diferences are way more than just Troy to Dak/Romo to me.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Prime Troy wins it all with the 16, 22, and 23 Cowboys...probably (maybe?)

This game is hard

Drafting went downhill rapidly after Jimmy left. Troy took some lumps and was a shell of himself towards the late 90s. The roster was completely depleted by the time Carter took the job. That wasn't Troy's fault. Dak has had a far better compliment of protection and weapons than Troy did towards the end.
Absolutely 100% heck no

Troy or Roger never carried their team because they never were asked too , there's no way unless you had a time machine to bring Romo and Prescott back to those Eras and put them on Troy and Rogers teams you know both of which had some of the best talent and coaching Staffs ever assembled the run game you know Emmitt Smith, Tony Dorsett ,and many others along with an offensive line and a defense one had a name they had a moniker which fit the doomsday defense, they literally had some coaching Staffs again some of the best that were ever assembled and you're sitting here thinking that Troy or Roger can just some of these very incomplete teams and emphatically without a doubt wins a SB, i say no they could not.

Chasing6

Reaction score
But the argument your friend (that you commented on) was making is that Troy could do nothing without a great line ..... and Dak did not have that.

SO what is the excuse now that we have clarified that Dak had a great o-line most of his career.?
I never specifically talked about Troy having a great line, which I think he did to a degree. Troy had a great entire team, which Dak and Romo have not had.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score

to me Erik Williams was probably the best OL we have ever had..i know Allen, T Smith, Martin are great but Williams did things that made them change rules he was that nasty and good.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I did not make that comparison ...... the defenders did ....... I would never compare Dak or Romo with a 3 time SB winning QB like Troy Aikman who had an 11-5 playoff record.
I would also never compare our 90's teams to any other decade.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I never specifically talked about Troy having a great line, which I think he did to a degree. Troy had a great entire team, which Dak and Romo have not had.

Blame Jerry ....... but I also never saw Troy making this face every time he played a good team.

0_dak-prescott.jpg

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I did not make that comparison ...... the defenders did ....... I would never compare Dak or Romo with a 3 time SB winning QB like Troy Aikman who had an 11-5 playoff record.
true but what was his playoff record with Jerry built teams? again Troy is great but the teams he won with were MUCH better teams than anything we have seen since "Jerry's way" started.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
to me Erik Williams was probably the best OL we have ever had..i know Allen, T Smith, Martin are great but Williams did things that made them change rules he was that nasty and good.
OK ........ he was a Right Tackle ........ and he dominated on the side that people do not pay big money for.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
true but what was his playoff record with Jerry built teams? again Troy is great but the teams he won with were MUCH better teams than anything we have seen since "Jerry's way" started.
I agree with that ...... but one of the reasons {in my very non humble opinion} is that he never used any real draft capital on the most important position in football ....... he loves to go cheap and find QB's to try and prove he is a football genius.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Troy's team had the benefit of "no salary cap" so Jerry could "buy" him some SB's, and now that he can't use his money he does not have the brains or sense to develop a good team. Not to take away Troy's greatness because he was a damn good QB and a REAL leader, not a fake one.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I agree with that ...... but one of the reasons {in my very non humble opinion} is that he never used any real draft capital on the most important position in football ....... he loves to go cheap and find QB's to try and prove he is a football genius.
sure and he lucked into 2 pretty good QB's if not for that think of how bad this thing would really look...30 years of Quincy, Leaf, Hutch, Money Manziel...maybe that would have brought correction sooner but who knows..Jerry is who he is..and he is the problem..

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Go back and watch his rookie season.
I have said many times I liked the young version of Dak who did not have great stats ...... but would fight till the end.

The crippled and scared guy we have now does not compare to that kid.