CFZ Dak is Good Enough to Drive the Bus

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That's the debate, pay inflated 'market rate' for a QB that doesn't get over the hump, or trust McClay to get a QB (and use the CAP saving).
My question is : is our QB the biggest issue we have preventing this team from more success?

And it’s quite a roll of the dice to look for another . We aren’t that bad with this one . I’d like to see if we can shore up the defense and supporting cast more before we move on.

And sometimes we must accept that there are simply better teams and QB’s we will face in the playoffs.

Last edited:

starfan1

Reaction score
My question is : is our QB the biggest issue we have preventing this team from more success?

And it’s quite a roll of the dice to look for another . We aren’t that bad with this one .
He isnt !! Weve lost in a variety of ways. dont get me wrong hes contributed but too many fans here have Patrick mahomes envy and think if only we had him. "Dak is paid to be like mahomes" or be the difference maker. Its my belief that this team hasnt been good enough to win past the first round. whether it was defense or penalties or no run game and up until recently we more than likely lose in playoffs with Patrick. the team has always had some sort of flaw mostly on defense but flawed indeed. first playoff game against the niners the amount of stupid penalties were hard to overcome even when plays were made they were called back.

Last year you could make a case for dak being the worst starter on the field, it was for a variety of reasons but Dak stunk it up. all other years he wasnt the reason for our failures he just didnt do enough to overcome them. now our once great line is my biggest concern.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
It's not a matter of 'biggest issue', the question is whether we can win with him, his skillset and the the CAP hit....IF he can't overcome those apparent composure issues then we aren't winning.....unless we get lucky and go through the play-offs cruising pass teams.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It's not a matter of 'biggest issue', the question is whether we can win with him, his skillset and the the CAP hit....IF he can't overcome those apparent composure issues then we aren't winning.
Is winning championships our only barometer ?
Cause we are winning a lot of games with him.

Is it possible we are just facing better teams and or QB’s in the playoffs ?

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Always excuses. Same as Romo. Always excuses. And I always laugh because it's always a team game when they lose. I always love how Murray and Crayton are blamed for Romo's failures when for most of his playoff games he was mediocre. He was mediocre in that Giant game but all anyone remembers is Crayton. And the only reason he was all pro in 2014 is because of Murray who should have been our MVP that season When they win it's all on them. Let's anoint them. Dak sucked the last 2 SF playoff games. I don't hear Patriot or Chiefs fans making excuses. Oh that's right because they actually play in championship games.
"mediocre"?

Romo's stats say otherwise. Not sure if this link is approved...but I will try: (as if you care about facts)

"Romo was a great NFL quarterback. His numbers could put him in the Hall of Fame. He finished his career (assuming it is really, truly finished) 29th all-time in passing yards, 21st all-time in passing touchdowns, and fourth (!) with a 97.1 passer rating, behind only Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, and Russell Wilson. Romo did that as an undrafted player who was given no preferential treatment on his way to assuming the helm of America’s most scrutinized franchise."
https://www.sbnation.com/2017/4/5/15178498/tony-romo-retirement-cowboys-career-cbs-announcer

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Of course we are (usually) facing better teams in the playoffs. 2022 Bucs excepted.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
"mediocre"?

Romo's stats say otherwise. Not sure if this link is approved...but I will try: (as if you care about facts)

"Romo was a great NFL quarterback. His numbers could put him in the Hall of Fame. He finished his career (assuming it is really, truly finished) 29th all-time in passing yards, 21st all-time in passing touchdowns, and fourth (!) with a 97.1 passer rating, behind only Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, and Russell Wilson. Romo did that as an undrafted player who was given no preferential treatment on his way to assuming the helm of America’s most scrutinized franchise."
https://www.sbnation.com/2017/4/5/15178498/tony-romo-retirement-cowboys-career-cbs-announcer
Yep he was the stat king. Heard it all before. Playoffs. That's where it matters and although he got better as time wore on his early playoff games were mediocre Not to mention those wonderful play-in games. He'll never get in the HOF. Good enough for the ROH but not the HOF especially since it's a passing league today. Never said he wasn't a good regular season QB. Dak is too. That's what they have in common.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep he was the stat king. Heard it all before. Playoffs. That's where it matters and although he got better as time wore on his early playoff games were mediocre Not to mention those wonderful play-in games. He'll never get in the HOF. Good enough for the ROH but not the HOF especially since it's a passing league today. Never said he wasn't a good regular season QB. Dak is too. That's what they have in common.
Fair enough. I kinda think a couple playoffs were "stolen"...in a way...from him. The Murray Fumble could have been a pivital moment. Packers scored to end the half then scored on opening drive 2nd half. No points and momentum shift. Critical error.

I also think he should have re-entered the lineup in 2016 when fully healthy. The 2016 team was crafted for...HIM. And he showed his adeptness coming in cold, marching the team surgically down the field. Then...mysteriously...promptly benched. Weird.

Having said that...he did blow a few on his own, as the article mentions.

WAY lesser QB's have won their super bowls. I think it's an unfair aspect of his career. Odd to see it from alleged fans. Is what it is.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

Of course winning Championships is the only barometer.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Fair enough. I kinda think a couple playoffs were "stolen"...in a way...from him. The Murray Fumble could have been a pivital moment. Packers scored to end the half then scored on opening drive 2nd half. No points and momentum shift. Critical error.

I also think he should have re-entered the lineup in 2016 when fully healthy. The 2016 team was crafted for...HIM. And he showed his adeptness coming in cold, marching the team surgically down the field. Then...mysteriously...promptly benched. Weird.

Having said that...he did blow a few on his own, as the article mentions.

WAY lesser QB's have won their super bowls. I think it's an unfair aspect of his career. Odd to see it from alleged fans. Is what it is.
He was good enough to win a SB. By the time he was replaced by Dak his body was falling apart. Sad but true. And I was all for Dak replacing him because of it. I will say one thing in their defense.The biggest obstacle in the way of winning a SB is Jerry Jones. And besides Parcells, Romo was saddled with a mediocre HC in Wade and an awful HC in Garrett. That's on the GM. If Romo would have had a HC like Andy Reid maybe things would have been different. It's sad.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I don't know why when we look at the history of quarterbacks with Super Bowl titles that we don't understand that Dak is as good as, if not better than, some of those. The difference is that they played on teams built to win, where it wasn't all on the QB's shoulders. We've failed to build those types of teams, which is a front office problem, not a quarterback problem.

Even great QBs don't win Super Bowls without having a quality team around them and quality coaching. Aaron Rodgers has one Super Bowl victory in 15 seasons as a starter. Drew Brees has one in 19 seasons. Dan Marino had none in nine seasons.

75boyz

Reaction score
But will he be honest enough with himself to let a dominant defense, time of possession and run game be the central focus of the team's recipe for success? Humility is mandatory in his case or the end result will be forcing too much passing once again because the perception of the offense wont fit Dak's ego.

High volume passing will result in high volume poor decisions.
The "supposed" run the damn ball and rest the defense IS the right approach.
It just can THIS QB and THIS HC pull off a bus driver type offense for the sake of the team?

It will be fun to watch how close "they are able" to stick with a run first mentality as this HC has stated.

A true test of humility and egos by the QB AND HC will be on full display.

I hope they can both overcome past patterns of behavior for the sake of the team.
If not, it won't look any different at all on offense and the post season results will remain the same as well.

jmo

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I don't know why when we look at the history of quarterbacks with Super Bowl titles that we don't understand that Dak is as good as, if not better than, some of those. The difference is that they played on teams built to win, where it wasn't all on the QB's shoulders. We've failed to build those types of teams, which is a front office problem, not a quarterback problem.
The whole problem with that point of view is that we can do it in the regular season and fans quote we've got a great/top offense, then when the pressure's on we tend to fail.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It's not a matter of 'biggest issue', the question is whether we can win with him, his skillset and the the CAP hit....IF he can't overcome those apparent composure issues then we aren't winning.....unless we get lucky and go through the play-offs cruising pass teams.
What teams did you feel we were better than we should have beat? Surely not SF or Phil?

I’m not sure everyone can accept there is simply going to be teams and or QB’s better than us in n the playoffs .

Even in our glory years we were all too often beaten by better teams .I’d argue we haven’t had a good enough team in not just the QB position to advance any further than we have . Unfortunately all teams don’t get an Elite QB.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The whole problem with that point of view is that we can do it in the regular season and fans quote we've got a great/top offense, then when the pressure's on we tend to fail.
IMO we are simply losing in the playoffs to better teams . There’s no shame in losing to better teams .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
But will he be honest enough with himself to let a dominant defense, time of possession and run game be the central focus of the team's recipe for success? Humility is mandatory in his case or the end result will be forcing too much passing once again because the perception of the offense wont fit Dak's ego.

High volume passing will result in high volume poor decisions.
The "supposed" run the damn ball and rest the defense IS the right approach.
It just can THIS QB and THIS HC pull off a bus driver type offense for the sake of the team?

It will be fun to watch how close "they are able" to stick with a run first mentality as this HC has stated.

A true test of humility and egos by the QB AND HC will be on full display.

I hope they can both overcome past patterns of behavior for the sake of the team.
If not, it won't look any different at all on offense and the post season results will remain the same as well.

jmo
I think that’s a great strategy with a run first or dominating rushing offense but what puzzles me is do we have the talent at RB and OL to actually be dominating on the ground ?

I don’t see as dominant of OL or pound the rock type RB like we had when Murray and Elliott were leading the league in rushing.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Even great QBs don't win Super Bowls without having a quality team around them and quality coaching. Aaron Rodgers has one Super Bowl victory in 15 seasons as a starter. Drew Brees has one in 19 seasons. Dan Marino had none in nine seasons.
Here ye hear ye..well said.

Even in our glory years when we had a championship caliber team we were all too often beaten by better teams or we would have won about 15 -20 championships.

75boyz

Reaction score
I think that’s a great strategy with a run first or dominating rushing offense but what puzzles me is do we have the talent at RB and OL to actually be dominating on the ground ?

I don’t see as dominant of OL or pound the rock type RB like we had when Murray and Elliott were leading the league in rushing.
Absolutely spot on. Therein lies this HC's offseason speech contradiction.
Besides the fact that he's never been this dynamic run game playcalling guru, Mac doesn't have the running back(s) or OL talent to do this type of Linehan 2016 style offense.

It will ultimately all default back to factory settings with both the head coach and QB ending up running a high volume pass happy offense. Where high volume poor decision making will again prove to be both the offense's and team's downfall.

jmo

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Absolutely spot on. Therein lies this HC's offseason speech contradiction.
Besides the fact that he's never been this dynamic run game playcalling guru, Mac doesn't have the running back(s) or OL talent to do this type of Linehan 2016 style offense.

It will ultimately all default back to factory settings with both the head coach and QB ending up running a high volume pass happy offense. Where high volume poor decision making will again prove to be both the offense's and team's downfall.

jmo
Yep, unfortunately our ownership and coaching staff appear to believe Prescott is much more prolific passer than much of our fanbase does. They definitely don’t see him as a bus driver .

And the offense we are building around Dak doesn’t look like the dominating rushing offense we had when we led the league in rushing.