Dak is not a Franchise QB

fifaguy

Reaction score
You know, I did kind of feel like I was watching Carter again at QB on Sunday. Errant throws, bad reads, holding the ball too long. It was not a good game.

Except Quincy went 10-6 his third and last year as a Cowboy and made the playoffs :laugh:

visionary

Reaction score

Year 3 and nothing has changed. You can blame this on the coaches too but when the player also lacks talent the coaching can only do so much.

This front office just has no idea what they are doing. They sold the fan base the notion that Dak is a franchise QB after his rookie year.

Snake oil salesmenship.

So the coaches did not want Dak to be the QB?
Never gets old with you guys
Garrett is utter and total garbage
Can't keep giving passes to the red headed clapper

He's the one who brought in Brad Johnson
He's the one who wanted Dak to take over

You bet he's responsible

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Year 3 and he's regressing imo.

Bravo to the Jones boys.
Meh HC, OC and now QB coach.

Meh HC and OC? You are being way too kind. They are putrid. Kellen Moore looks like a high school kid on the sideline. Embarrassing he's our QB coach. Young QBs need coaching as they go into years 2 and 3. Dak has zero support system. He needs blame for sure but this coaching staff is pathetic. They can't develop anyone to save their lives.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Dak has a confidence issue that reared its head last year during the Falcon game. He hasn't recovered.Its like PTSD FOR QB'S. Its crucial this week he gets back on track. Lets recall who Dak is. He is a very streaky QB. When he's hot,he's deadly accurate and near unstoppable. Its almost all mental. Once he completes a couple passes in a row,watch out..he may go on a tear. He's the same QB that tore up the league in 2016 as a rook. We gotta find answers at the oline and receiver/TE. That will help him. Linehan must help the young guns better.

JJHLH1

Reaction score
I’m beginning to think that Dak may not be a franchise QB. But I still can’t get over the fact that he played at a Pro-Bowl level his first year and a half in the league. Ever since the Atlanta game though he’s been a completely different player. It’s so strange and hard to explain.

One thing the Cowboys can’t do it make the mistake of paying Dak big money unless he earns it. Otherwise they may end up in a position like the Raiders who are stuck with a huge contract for a QB who sucks.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I’m beginning to think that Dak may not be a franchise QB. But I still can’t get over the fact that he played at a Pro-Bowl level his first year and a half in the league. Ever since the Atlanta game though he’s been a completely different player. It’s so strange and hard to explain.

One thing the Cowboys can’t do it make the mistake of paying Dak big money unless he earns it. Otherwise they may end up in a position like the Raiders who are stuck with a huge contract for a QB who sucks.

He sucked before the Atlanta game.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score

The Atlanta game exposed Dak's weaknesses and the team's weaknesses. Now every team does the same thing, with the same result.

QT

Reaction score
If you guys didn't see Dak's flaws his first year than you didn't really watch him closely. I said from year 1 that he cannot throw a deep out without the corner jumping it. Lack of arm strength. He was overthrowing slants and throwing 10 yard balls at the ground or the wr's feet. Watch the Minnesota game his rookie year... I NEVER thought he was a franchise QB from day 1. Guy couldn't even beat out Kellen Moore; A freaking practice squad safety now (J Showers) was better than him in his rookie training camp.

Zeke will be fine.

NorthoftheRedRiver

Reaction score
Opposing teams' defenses seem to have him all figured out now and have been gaming him heavily for the second year. They didn't know what to do with him that first magical year, but they do now. The man needs a good OC and QB coach to save him. If he doesnt figure this out, his career will be a short one, IMHO.

erod

Reaction score
Is Dak's inaccuracy innate to his skills? That seems to be the view of a lot of folks here, "he's never going to get better, can't hit receivers in stride, etc.", right?

So how did he hit 66.2% of throws his last year in college? 29 tds and only 5 ints?

Sure the NFL is tougher than college, but I would submit if he is incapable of doing what an NFL quarterback should do, then his college work should give some indication of that.
Not to mention his 2016 NFL stats.

Realistically, would Brees or Rodgers or other "top" NFL quarterbacks do a whole lot better if they were the quarterback instead of Dak? That's hard to say, Aikman was considered a very accurate quarterback, yet his UCLA stats are 64.8% completion, with 41 tds and 17 ints, a bigger interception %age than Dak.

Have to remember, Dak never threw to Hurns, Thompson, Austin or Gallup before this summer. He didn't have any trouble finding Beasley this last game, found Swaim three times. And the line is not as good as 2016.

Some of his errant throws I was like "that's an easy throw, I could make that", but again, if he can't make those throws, how did he do that in 2016? He had zero time with ANY receiver before summer, but somehow he managed to find them.

I said before the season I'm giving Dak this year, and that means the entire year, not one game. Guess some here won't, and that's fine, I can see their viewpoint. Just isn't my cup of tea. If he flops all year, I'll be the first to say others were right, I've been wrong and I've been right about the Cowboys multiple times each, never claimed to have all the answers or be a football genius..
Any quarterback can hit a high percentage with low interceptions if they dink and dunk.

And college is nothing. Kellen Moore has unbelievable college stats. Winningest quarterback in college history.

Sydla

Reaction score
And if you believe the reports, this isn't the year to be needing an elite QB in the draft.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
The Cowboys offense in 6 of the last 9 games have scored 12 points or less....if that's not alarming for an offense then I don't know what is!

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
He sucked before the Atlanta game.

Nonsense. Cowboys scored 19, 17, 28, 30, 31, 40, 33 and 28 pts before that game, an average of 28 a game. 16 tds, only 4 ints. 4 ratings of 105 or better. Average completion rate of over 63%. One fumble, which was recovered by Dallas. 5-3 record.

He did not suck before the Atlanta game.

And what happened during the Atlanta game? First game without Zeke. Think that didn't have a lot to do with it?

In 1993, Emmitt held out, first two games, Dallas 0-2. And that on a team still with the Great Wall, Irvin, Novacek, Harper and Moose. This team had no Frederick, rookie Williams on the line, and we're surprised they only scored 8 pts? Broncos with Manning scored 8 pts in the SB, the AFC champions. Teams/quarterbacks have bad games. Maybe this will be the way it goes all year, we don't know. Doesn't look good at this time.

Maybe the Panthers defense is just that good, we don't know, it's the first game. Cowboys lost big time to the 1985 Bears team, but that team had a combined 91-10 playoff score, shut out TWO teams in the playoffs. Anybody but Miami sucked against that team, who's to say the Panthers won't be similar?

I'm as ticked as anyone about 8 pts and a loss, but it's one freaking game, I'm not going to dump all hopes for the season based on that, then you should find another team to cheer for, no point in upsetting yourself all year....

Last edited:

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score

This is a misleading stat, because mobile QB often hold onto the ball longer in order to escape pressure, and may end up making a big play at the end of that time. So the stat lumps in players like Wilson and Rodgers with players like Kizer and Brissett. It makes no distinction about what happened to the pass that was thrown.

What you really need to look at isn't the time from snap to throw, but instead the time from snap to sack. That will tell you if the sack happened because the QB was holding on too long.

Prescott
Time to sack (NFL Rank)
2016 3.83 (4th)
2017 3.14 (27th)

JJHLH1

Reaction score
Nonsense. Cowboys scored 19, 17, 28, 30, 31, 40, 33 and 28 pts before that game, an average of 28 a game. 16 tds, only 4 ints. 4 ratings of 105 or better. Average completion rate of over 63%. One fumble, which was recovered by Dallas. 5-3 record.

He did not suck before the Atlanta game...

Exactly. Dak was playing at a Pro-Bowl level through the first half of last season.

Unfortunately since then he’s played at a third-string level. It’s pretty remarkable how everything changed for him.

Cap12

Reaction score
Dak has a confidence issue that reared its head last year during the Falcon game. He hasn't recovered.Its like PTSD FOR QB'S. Its crucial this week he gets back on track. Lets recall who Dak is. He is a very streaky QB. When he's hot,he's deadly accurate and near unstoppable. Its almost all mental. Once he completes a couple passes in a row,watch out..he may go on a tear. He's the same QB that tore up the league in 2016 as a rook. We gotta find answers at the oline and receiver/TE. That will help him. Linehan must help the young guns better.
Is it confidence or is he seeing ghost defenders everywhere? I hope he's not that mentally fragile or he doesn't belong in the NFL. Get your act together Dak. Don't be afraid to pull the trigger on open receivers and stop throwing off your d@mn back foot and maybe you'll stop throwing behind receivers and stop throwing ground balls!!!