Dak is not a Franchise QB

Number1

Reaction score

Year 3 and nothing has changed. You can blame this on the coaches too but when the player also lacks talent the coaching can only do so much.

This front office just has no idea what they are doing. They sold the fan base the notion that Dak is a franchise QB after his rookie year.

Snake oil salesmenship.

Bluestang, I gotta call BS on that stat. https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing#average-time-to-throw

that stat has little to do with anything but scheme, note, the 6 QBs under 2.5' produced 3 TDs and 12 INTs this past week

maybe you don't understand the game - maybe just gullible - maybe just a politician pushing BS

here's a stat that matters, 6 sacks, here's another one, Dak's won 79% of games when sacked 3 or less times

it ain't Dak - it's an idiot OC and an over hyped OL with no depth

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
You build a team specifically catered to the run and give your RB 15 carries. This team doesnt even know what its identity is anymore.

And they weren't behind by like 3 touchdowns, there was plenty of time to stick with the running game.

Of course that goes back to coaching, plenty of history to show they abandon the run game too early and in the wrong situations...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
"2.54 sec is the NFL average for how long a QB holds the ball.

Dak Prescott career avg is 2.69 sec. (5th longest in NFL over last two years.)'

That's 0.15 of a second, a blink of an eye is about 0.333 seconds. Don't see that's a notable difference. Besides, if the line protection is good, a quarterback can hold the ball longer.

Seems to me to be a stat just for the sake of stats, needs to a much larger difference to mean much, imho...

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
By definition a franchise QB raises the level of a franchise from its current level to the next level and inspires teammates to the next level. In 2016 after a 4-12 2015 season, a rookie QB guided the team to a 13-3 record. He has been voted team captain each year after his rookie year. Record is 22-11 as a starter.

I saw a franchise QB without a go to WR, TE, and solid C go 1-15 his rookie year (0-8 as a starter) and the one win was with another QB as a starter. The next year they finished 7-9 with the franchise QB 7-7 as a starter. First 2 years as a starter the QB was 7-15. So I guess Troy Aikman was not a franchise QB? Yes. He was because the 1989 season of 0-8 as a starter improved to 7-7 as a starter and he was named team captain. The rest is Dynasty of the 90's history.

What the Cowboys do not have is a franchise Head Coach. That is the difference between Troy and Dak at this point.

Jimmy Johnson demoted David Shula when the Cowboys were at 3-7. They then went on a 4 game winning streak and the triplets were born vs. the LA Rams that 1990 season. What is Jason Garrett going to do with Linehan?
Wow. In your mind Aikman and Dak are only separated by a great HC. Wow.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Romo never excelled at timing routes and the coaching staff never bothered to develop that skill. Dallas' coaching staff expects players to develop themselves.

Dak needs to figure out how to make his reads quicker or take off running sooner.
:huh:what the...?

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Same story, different year. You can talk about the difference with Will McClay having a voice or his role in evaluation, but this is a Jones family operation. They have final say, and really the only say.

They’ll hype Prescott, just like say, a Jaylon Smith and that’s all it is hype. Cowboy players are ALWAYS overhyped, mainly by the Jones family hype machine. Just sick of it.

Outside of Zeke, Tank Lawrence, Martin, Frederick, the artist formerly known as Tyron Smith, and Sean Lee when he’s not in bubble wrap, the production and performance never lives up to the hype.

It’s a never ending cycle. Sick of it. Jerry will meet with everyone in January, talk about his failure, talk about how much he wants to win, talk about injuries, maybe fire some people, talk some more without saying anything, hire some lame *** new coach, and ultimately not a whole lot will change.

Yes, I know it’s week 1 and against my better judgement i’ll watch every week, but Anyone that thought this offense would work with the same coaches and the WORST WR/TE group in the league, is either delusional or a member of the Jones/Garrett family.
Wish I could like this 1000 times. This is it in a nutshell folks. We can all have any bias we want. But the results don't lie. There is not ONE person any defense is scared of other than the RB...and the RB can be taken out of the game by stacking the box. One on one match ups outside should be every offensive coordinator, QB, WR dream....that should be like playing football in the backyard with your buddies...if we cannot capitalize on that....we have ZERO chance! And I am sure the the coaching staff anticipated this and convinced Jerry they relish this chance

erod

Reaction score
I understood Garrett's all-in attitude on Dak. It bought him time to keep his job while he "developed" a new quarterback.

But I don't get it with the front office. Dak showed promise, but hardly proved himself as a franchise anything. A lot of these issues were already apparent in 2016.

P.T. Barnum and his lackey son quickly sounded the "franchise quarterback of the future" mantra so they could drive those ticket sales and ramp up the PR train.

Only in Dallas. The anointing oil drips drips from he rafters. You would think they learned their lesson with Hutchinson and Henson, but they just keep on doing it.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
I'll give Dak a few more weeks but if I don't see major improvement I'm done. I like the guy. I understand his WR's are crap and the OL wasn't playing well. And I don't think the OL is going to be that great until at least Frederick returns. My biggest problem is he still looks shell shocked. He has to be able to make throws down field and give his receivers a chance. I had no confidence he could lead us back Sunday. I saw rookie QB's over the weekend look better.

DFWJC

Reaction score
IF he isn't, you can't really blame the FO for believing he was after his first season fireworks.
I agree.
Even though I think many knew that because in year one they kind of caught every one off guard, it may drop back some, the expectations were that he had a great foundation to build on if he kept improving...plus the intangibles looked good too.

After the Atlanta game--in what seems like along time ago--he has not been the same. Yes defenses HAVE adjusted and they (like with all QBs) exposed some areas of weakness, but its more than that.

I'm pulling for him. I do feel confident he'll play better this week.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Is Dak's inaccuracy innate to his skills? That seems to be the view of a lot of folks here, "he's never going to get better, can't hit receivers in stride, etc.", right?

So how did he hit 66.2% of throws his last year in college? 29 tds and only 5 ints?

Sure the NFL is tougher than college, but I would submit if he is incapable of doing what an NFL quarterback should do, then his college work should give some indication of that.
Not to mention his 2016 NFL stats.

Realistically, would Brees or Rodgers or other "top" NFL quarterbacks do a whole lot better if they were the quarterback instead of Dak? That's hard to say, Aikman was considered a very accurate quarterback, yet his UCLA stats are 64.8% completion, with 41 tds and 17 ints, a bigger interception %age than Dak.

Have to remember, Dak never threw to Hurns, Thompson, Austin or Gallup before this summer. He didn't have any trouble finding Beasley this last game, found Swaim three times. And the line is not as good as 2016.

Some of his errant throws I was like "that's an easy throw, I could make that", but again, if he can't make those throws, how did he do that in 2016? He had zero time with ANY receiver before summer, but somehow he managed to find them.

I said before the season I'm giving Dak this year, and that means the entire year, not one game. Guess some here won't, and that's fine, I can see their viewpoint. Just isn't my cup of tea. If he flops all year, I'll be the first to say others were right, I've been wrong and I've been right about the Cowboys multiple times each, never claimed to have all the answers or be a football genius..

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
I agree.
Even though I think many knew that because in year one they kind of caught every one off guard, it may drop back some, the expectations were that he had a great foundation to build on if he kept improving...plus the intangibles looked good too.

After the Atlanta game--in what seems like along time ago--he has not been the same. Yes defenses HAVE adjusted and they (like with all QBs) exposed some areas of weakness, but its more than that.

I'm pulling for him. I do feel confident he'll play better this week.
The Atlanta game might have ruined him.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Im a big Dak fan...but as I said before I cant and wont defend sunday.
This is year 3....with an off-season of things being tailored to you.
We can talk about WRs....Coaches.....Schemes....and all that factors in but at the end of the day.
This is year 3.
Its up to Dak where he goes from here....and where he goes....we go.
It's up to #4.
no body else can do it for him.
Year 3.
No excuses.

:starspin:BEAT ny:starspin: