Dak is not a Franchise QB

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I'm pulling for him. I do feel confident he'll play better this week.

Me too, fortunately he's playing the Giants, who have their own problems. Not having to worry too much about Eli running, unlike Cam, should allow the defense to give Dak better field position than in the last game, if nothing else. And if they can clean up the penalties, will help not to have 2nd and 20's or 3rd and 17's from his own 15 yard line so much...

DFWJC

Reaction score
The Atlanta game might have ruined him.
It's just so weird. Every QB that's ever played has had games like that...and usually a bunch of them.
It's a copycat league; I have to wonder if it wasn't more than just the sacks....that a template to expose him was revealed.

Anyway, its part of the NFL's chess match and he (and Dallas) need to counter it with actual player improvement and play design

Last edited:

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Every QB that's ever played has had game like that.

David Carr had lots of them, took years to ruin him.

You can see a lot from how the player reacts, didn't see Dak get all mad and frustrated, meaning to me he isn't letting it get to him.

At least not yet...

LifetimeBoysFan

Reaction score
The fact that we are now 8 games into a "slump" for the apologists is alarming. Considering in between that time frame he had an entire offseason to improve. Instead we picked up right where we left off in 2017. Blame the WRs, blame the OL do what you must to help you sleep better, the fact is his accuracy is awful and his decision making is just as bad. Holding the ball in the NFL for 3.1 seconds is gonna get you nothing but problems. He either trusts the OL too much or doesn't trust his reads enough. I'm sure Kellen Moore will step right in and get him on the right track though. :rolleyes:

Brax

Reaction score
It’s hard to argue with the point being relayed.

Dak has not been anticipating well at all. And he has not been releasing the ball quick enough.

What I don’t understand is, he was better at this earlier in his career. He wasn’t perfect by any means, but his accuracy and anticipation were better during his rookie season and first half of last year.

His play has fallen off a cliff since Atlanta.

The question is, are the reasons his play has fallen off, correctable? I used to think they were. But I am now second guessing that unless I start to see progress again.
as a great one said you are what you are and Dak is a poor NFL caliber QB, back up yes long term starter no, in other works as much as I like the guy he is crap

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I don't know. I feel like it's a little early to go out shopping for White Walls just yet. I watched the Jets Detroit game and that kinda brought me back to reality. That's the wheels coming off folks and that's not what I saw last Sunday with the Cowboys. What I saw last Sunday was a team who didn't value the importance of Pre-Season the right way and it showed. I mean, I guess we shouldn't be surprised about this, Jerry has said that he thought it would be a good idea to shorten Pre-Season and extend the regular season several times and that, at least to me, represents the view of the franchise IMO. They just didn't think that the time was needed to get ready, is all I can figure, and they were clearly wrong there. Dak and this Offense needs to play in the Off Season and it showed. You can't expect to come out hitting on all cylinders when you have your Star Running Back coming off the season he had the year before, when you've lost the mainstay of, not only your Offense but your entire team, in Witten, when you are missing your All Pro Starting Center and are starting a Rookie RG, when you have lost as big a part of your Offense as Dez was and replaced him with several new WRs, you just can't expect that. You have to put in the reps and that didn't happen with us. That's not on Dak, that's on Management and Coaching. The issues I saw with Dak were more about timing and experience. Dak went to the right reads from what I could tell. He just didn't go through progressions quickly enough, he didn't execute his mechanics crisply enough and his reads and progressions were slow. All of that is a product of not getting enough playing time IMO. I mean, you can also attribute some of it to changing his mechanics but either way, all of that comes down to playing time. I don't care what anybody says, practice is not playing. It's different and anybody who doesn't understand that is playing head games with themselves. You can't simulate that real game situation in practice no matter how hard you try.

Anyway, I don't think it's time to give up on Dak. I think Dak showed that he has something in the first season. The mistake here was not building on that, not identifying what worked and growing that. All QBs mature and develop but there is a difference between developing and changing a players game to the point that it is no longer effective. Thing is, we can't know if the thing Dak has been taught are helping him or not because guess what, you gotta be able to actually play to implement those changes and perfect them and that hasn't happened with this team.

JMO

cowboyec

Reaction score
I still believe Tom Moore should have been brought in as the QB coach...just my opinion.
Hell....give me Bruce Arians as the O.C.
I just dont trust this staff to develop Dak.
but on the flip....Dak needs to execute.
year 3....no excuses.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Question to OP.....15 games to be played, let's call it a year coz Dak holds the ball too long. Should we start Cooper Rush rest of the season? Trade for a QB and bench Dak immediately?

My point, he's your QB and almost certainly the best option.......let's work with that for now.

I'll take trade for a QB for $200 Jim.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
My summary analysis of Dak:

1) If he can take the snap & everything is as he expected & can just release the pass, he's fine. If anything is off, he is slow to process (or doesn't trust what he is processing) & hesitates which means the opportunity is gone.
2) Whenever he hesitates, he uncocks his arm slightly. When he then goes to throw, his timing between rotating his body & his shoulder \ arm is out of sync & he tends to throw it low or into the ground.
3) When he sees an opportunity popping open that maybe he wasn't expecting or he is moving forward a little he releases the ball a touch too soon & it sails on him.

I try not to be too quick to judge. Give things time to prove themselves out. I am not ready to say he is beyond repair ... but with each game since Atlanta lets just say "its" gathered pace circling the drain.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
My summary analysis of Dak:

1) If he can take the snap & everything is as he expected & can just release the pass, he's fine. If anything is off, he is slow to process (or doesn't trust what he is processing) & hesitates which means the opportunity is gone.
2) Whenever he hesitates, he uncocks his arm slightly. When he then goes to throw, his timing between rotating his body & his shoulder \ arm is out of sync & he tends to throw it low or into the ground.
3) When he sees an opportunity popping open that maybe he wasn't expecting or he is moving forward a little he releases the ball a touch too soon & it sails on him.

I try not to be too quick to judge. Give things time to prove themselves out. I am not ready to say he is beyond repair ... but with each game since Atlanta lets just say "its" gathered pace circling the drain.
sounds right.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
What amazing to me is how they have decided to not have any designed runs for Dak to get him going.

The Cowboys were so shocked that the Panthers would do it with Cam that it looked like they didn't even prepare.

A struggling QB like Dak takes off running 1 time it changes how you defend him for the rest of the game.

We are the JV coached team out there...

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
Of course, but instead of witnessing what he did down the stretch last season, they just scapegoated and made excuses. And they even made it more "friendly" for him by diluting the talent around him and keeping the same support staff.
BINGO

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Has anyone yet posted these stats:
Dak has thrown for 200 yards in 2 of the last 9 games

And we have 4 td’s in our last 4

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He's not great. Relies on getting out of the pocket and extending the play both to allow receivers that are mediocre to get open, and because it gives him more time to make a decision.His read progression and decision making in the pocket is not ideal, often holding the ball far too long far too often. Again, some of that is on the WR's not getting open quickly but I don't think he is very good at threading the ball into tight spots so he often overlooks guys in his reads that are "NFL open" waiting for someone to get wide open. It is rare to see him stand tall in the pocket and deliver a strike that hits his receiver in stride.

I think when it all shakes out with his career, he will have been a decent mid to lower tier QB that will have bounced around the league as an interim plug the gap QB or backup. Who knows, maybe he'll prove me wrong, which would be nice, but I just don't see it.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
People can blame JG as much as they want and rightfully so to a degree but the main issue is Dak will never be a great one period. Cowboys better look for an alternative.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
the poster above is correct.

Slow processor, I think that might have been mention in his scouting reports. Combine all that and his pocket awareness issues and you get what you seen this week and the last part of last year.

Fixable? not sure, how can you speed up someones processing ability.

mcmvp

Reaction score
And yet, if with that so called 'unstoppbable' run, he still finished with 4.1 ypc. Whoppie freakin do. A franchise rb with his strength and speed doesn't average 4.1 ypc. Maybe in your world, not mine.
In your world Dak was a top 3 QB in the NFL

Trust me...Zeke is the least of your worries. He goes into every game knowing the entire D is focused on stopping him. You should consider that when looking at his production. He’s a beast of a back.

Cap12

Reaction score
As of this moment, Dak is not a franchise QB. He's barely a starter. This is sad because of the high expectations after the 2016 season. Dak is exhibiting the same problems he did in 2017, but those of us who have shared our concerns about him were belittled on this site and the DCC Message Board. The problems are the same. The situation is just more pronounced without Dez and Witten and with a diminished O-line.

I'm hopeful that the kid can turn it around, but he is certainly behind in his development and I'm not sure he's gonna get to where he needs to be in time.

IheartRomo

Reaction score
It’s hard to argue with the point being relayed.

Dak has not been anticipating well at all. And he has not been releasing the ball quick enough.

What I don’t understand is, he was better at this earlier in his career. He wasn’t perfect by any means, but his accuracy and anticipation were better during his rookie season and first half of last year.

His play has fallen off a cliff since Atlanta.

The question is, are the reasons his play has fallen off, correctable? I used to think they were. But I am now second guessing that unless I start to see progress again.

Couldn’t agree more with this. Dak wasn’t perfect as a rookie, but he was significantly quicker in his reads and anticipation. It’s astonishing to see the regression in a skill that is supposed to accelerate as experience is gained.

It’s amazing what a difference confidence makes and his is absolutely shot since the Atlanta game and subsequent failures. I’m starting to have huge doubts about whether it’ll ever return.