Dak is still the best QB in the division

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
I don't think Hurts is wayyyy better than Dak. Only slightly. But I think he is a bit better.

Hurts is a bit more athletic (his lower body strength is elite, let alone for a QB, so he can shed pass rushers more easily, and can get 1 to 2 yards when needed far easier)

Hurts' arm is tad stronger, and can likely throw the bar further.

Accuracy is about a wash.

Intangibles are a wash too, though Dak may be a tad better leader.

Ultimately, I think Hurts has been more consistently successful because of:

1 - far better play-calling and play designs
2 - a far better offensive line
3 - better game plans that take advantage of opponent weaknesses

Basically, the Eagles have a way better OC. ;)

So, if you put Dak in the Eagles' offense, I think he'd have more success, especially this season.

And if you'd pair Hurts with McCarthy, he'd struggle too with McCarthy's lackluster play calling and stale playbook (with little use of play action, even when the run game is clicking :mad: )

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The supporting cast argument is a weak one, unless you're ready to dismiss the careers of Joe Montana and Troy Aikman entirely.

"Even Trey Lance went 2-2" - this actually kills your argument.

Lance was the #3 overall pick. If "anyone" could thrive in Shanahan's system with all these great players, why couldn't Lance???

And if "anyone" could do it, why did the 49ers even feel the need to trade up for a QB like Lance???

The QB's #1 job is to make the right decision with the football. Period.

Herbert has good talent around him as well. He's still the least clutch QB in football and his million dollar arm comes with a 10 cent brain. Give me Purdy over him every single day.
I never said the 49ers have a system that works with “any” QB. I said they have a system that seems to work with multiple QBs. Trey Lance was traded because he couldn’t beat out Mr. irrelevant and Sam Darnold. Lance wasn’t happy being the third QB and the 49ers were able to get compensation for him, which is why they traded him. The talent around Herbert isn’t that great in my opinion. He certainly doesn’t have the talent around him Purdy has in San Francisco. The Chargers have had trouble keeping their front line players healthy.

With Purdy, you have an average QB who operates within the 49ers brilliantly crafted scheme at near optimal efficiency, but doesn’t possess the physical talent to live above the scheme when everything breaks down or everyone is covered. We saw that last week. Herbert on the other hand, is a seismic QB capable of connecting on the highest degree of difficulty throws from any arm angle. If you’re going to take Purdy over Herbert you better have the right team around him. I would need the rest of this season to make a decision on taking either Purdy or Herbert.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I’m not a Dak guy.

I was saying during the offseason I would take Dak over Hurts.

Hurts is a system player. Nothing more.

If Hurts had to run a traditional NFL offense it wouldn’t be good.

He’s better in his system than Dak is at being a traditional QB though.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Purdy was 10-0 until the loss last week. He’s put up slightly better numbers than Justin Herbert and he wins games unlike Herbert who’s 27-27 as a starting QB. I think Herbert is overrated based on his numbers and big arm. No one has to be crazy to take Purdy over Herbert based off what we’ve seen of the two QBs the past season and a half. Granted Herbert has a better pedigree, but the wins aren’t coming with him.
Put Herbert on the 49ers and they have the same record. Put Purdy on the Chargers and the Chargers are worse.

Just my opinion.

bigE79

Reaction score
Look I'm not the biggest Dak fan, you can look at my history. I think if Dallas doesn't at least reach a championship game, then Dak and this coaching staff need to go, and no I don't want Quinn as a HC either.

So back to QB
Giants- Jones will most likely not be a starter next year, Terry Bradshaw was throwing for more tds in the 70s, and I'm serious, I looked it up lol. Giants made a huge mistake in signing him

Washington - Howell is another backup, enough said

Eagles - The eagles are a talented team, had two number one receivers and a top oline and Hurts is underperforming big time, 7td and 7 ints is horrible. Yes he made it to a Superbowl, while surrounded by a better team/organization,but I don't think if we were to switch qbs that our situation would be better, matter of fact I think we have at least one more loss. Dak as a passer is better than Hurts, not impressed with Hurts 22 pass tds last season either.

Also not a popular opinion, but yea Id still take Dak over Purdy. He like Hurts, is surrounded by talent, and if they start losing that talent I do not expect Purdy to be the one to elevate that team. Still not sold on Purdy

Honestly, haven't been that impressed with Dak this season either, but I think he gives us a better chance as strictly a passer than the qbs mentioned above. Come at me bros
Surely you jest,I hate the eagles as much as anyone but to say Dak is even remotely close to hurts is homerism at its finest...name one thing Dak does better than hurts...I'll put it another way,if Dak played for another team,what would scare you most about playing against him?

jwitten82

Reaction score
Surely you jest,I hate the eagles as much as anyone but to say Dak is even remotely close to hurts is homerism at its finest...name one thing Dak does better than hurts...I'll put it another way,if Dak played for another team,what would scare you most about playing against him?
Strictly passing, I'd take Dak over Hurts. If Hurts was playing on this Dallas team, then nothing would scare me about him

Nav22

Reaction score
I never said the 49ers have a system that works with “any” QB. I said they have a system that seems to work with multiple QBs. Trey Lance was traded because he couldn’t beat out Mr. irrelevant and Sam Darnold. Lance wasn’t happy being the third QB and the 49ers were able to get compensation for him, which is why they traded him. The talent around Herbert isn’t that great in my opinion. He certainly doesn’t have the talent around him Purdy has in San Francisco. The Chargers have had trouble keeping their front line players healthy.

With Purdy, you have an average QB who operates within the 49ers brilliantly crafted scheme at near optimal efficiency, but doesn’t possess the physical talent to live above the scheme when everything breaks down or everyone is covered. We saw that last week. Herbert on the other hand, is a seismic QB capable of connecting on the highest degree of difficulty throws from any arm angle. If you’re going to take Purdy over Herbert you better have the right team around him. I would need the rest of this season to make a decision on taking either Purdy or Herbert.
Literally heard the same arguments for why Tom Brady wasn't that good 20 years ago. I hope we're not repeating history with Purdy.

LOL, "physical talent" is the most overrated factor in judging a QB possible. The Scouting Combine is over.

Purdy is mobile, has a very quick release, processes the field very quickly and can make every single throw other than an 80-yard Hail Mary.

Did you not see the "seismic QB" missing wide open receivers Monday night with a clean pocket? Against the same defense Purdy SHREDDED the week before?

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Ok, I'll stop here. Its going to be like trying to argue with someone over whether or not water is wet. I have my opinion, you have yours. There's nothing left to say.

Dak has hit his ceiling while Purdy is just beginning his career. We'll see how things are when Purdy reaches year 8 like Dak.
I really hope the Purdy thing has had it's Cinderalla and midnight moment. I don't want to endure another 49ers reign of terror.

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score
I'd take Hurts over dak - this whole argument of he has more around him is fair but only to a point. Dak makes bad decisions and has been unable to get the team over the hump, hurts on the other hand had the eagles pretty close to another superbowl win.
You mean like throwing a Damn near pick six in the fourth Qtr of a loss to the Jets ? Oh your not talking about Dak your talking about hurts

My bad continue with the Fellating of Hurts, my bad my bad

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Forget Hurts. What does Dak do that Jones doesn't?!

I think they both are completely dependent on every single aspect of a team to carry them, while they play 'no-mistake' ball.

If you can without bias compare everything involved in a successful season I am certain you will come to the conclusion that the very same 'reasons' given to excuse Dak, (o-line, running game, play calling, coaching, defense, etc) can be at least equally applied to Jones, if not even more so.

They really ain't all that much different.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
You guys are really fickle on your players. All offseason it’s

“Tyler Smith is really coming along. He’s a franchise Olineman”

and

“Terrence Steele played well and earned his contract”

“Tyron Smith is still one of the better LT’s if he’s healthy”

“Tony Pollard is a top 5-10 RB and earned his franchise tag even if he’s not used as a lead back, that’s how good he is”

“CeeDee Lamb is a top 5-10 WR (and many argued flat out superior to AJ Brown)”

“Dallas doesn’t have a Dallas Goedert, but their TE depth is far better than Philly’s, so they have a better TE position overall”

“Tyler Biadasz earned his pro bowl nod, that’s the kind of player he is”

“Zack Martin earned his raise because he’s still an All-Pro RG and was underpaid”

“Brandon Cooks trade was huge, he’s a missing piece we need over the top”

Which one of these never happened? None; We all heard them. Each of you believed some or most of these before the season started.

So now why is it that Hurts and Purdy have the loaded offenses and Dak doesn’t? Every position has guys people fawn over, loaded pro bowl or near pro bowl talent. There is no “the difference is they just play on a loaded team”. Dak does too

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Literally heard the same arguments for why Tom Brady wasn't that good 20 years ago. I hope we're not repeating history with Purdy.

LOL, "physical talent" is the most overrated factor in judging a QB possible. The Scouting Combine is over.

Purdy is mobile, has a very quick release, processes the field very quickly and can make every single throw other than an 80-yard Hail Mary.

Did you not see the "seismic QB" missing wide open receivers Monday night with a clean pocket? Against the same defense Purdy SHREDDED the week before?
I don’t remember anyone saying Brady wasn’t that good. He was called a game manager his entire career as if that was something negative. Some claimed he wasn’t that good his first few seasons, because he wasn’t putting up huge numbers. As for Brock Purdy the jury is still out on him. He didn’t play long enough against Philly in the playoffs to see how that game would have turned out with him. He’s only started 11 regular season games. More time is needed to see what he really is. Physical talent and arm strength will always be used as one of the big measuring sticks with QBs. However, not every QBs skill level and college performances translate to the NFL, which makes drafting them a crapshoot. Accuracy, anticipation, footwork, pocket presence, athleticism, decision making, mental toughness are seven traits that are essential for an NFL QB. If there's one trait that can’t be significantly improved on, it’s accuracy. Throwing a football accurately is something that a QB simply can or can't do. Accuracy is something Dak has struggled with his entire career.