Dak is still the best QB in the division

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Umm in the NFL... Obviously you missed watching games from week to week how Jekyll and Hyde how the quarterbacks play in the teams play on a whole this is a week to week league and by the way everyone who wants to get rid of Prescott you just probably gonna replace him with someone worse you think he's gonna be better he's gonna be worse or a parallel move for what to satisfy the haters the trolls the people who think the grass is greener and you can easily replace a quarterback go look at the landscape of the NFL quarterbacks on all 32 teams and over the last decade how hard they are to find and yet this place thinks the replacements just a step away all we gotta do is get rid of Prescott and everything is fixed...

I think that's the point it isn't the state of quarterback play in the NFC East it's the state of quarterback play in the entire NFL... Quarterbacks have always gotten way too much credit and they get way too much of the blame that is a well known fact everybody needs a team around them the head coach needs a team the coordinators need a great team the quarterbacks could use a great team around them they need to support there's very rarely a single player on the football team I can carry a team to a championship this is not the NBA this is not golf...

This is a sport with the most moving parts and that any one of those moving parts has a bad day can ruin the entire day it can cause many losses...
I agree that there are times QB's get too much credit for wins and too much blame for losses. That probably isn't going to change but I do think that is a valid point.

However I could not disagree more strongly with the notion that "if we get rid of Dak at best is might be a parallel move and could be worse"

Continuing on a known path of mediocrity simply because there aren't any guarantees of a better future is a recipe for continued mediocrity.

Either you think Dak is the guy who can get us to the promised land, or you don't. And it's a free country and you are free to take either position and defend it, I love vigorous debate.

But this idea that "we have to stick with him because it could be worse if we don't" isn't a defensible position. It's a cop out. Plain and simple.
if he isn't the guy, he needs to be gone. Period. We're wasting valuable time otherwise.

stiletto

Reaction score
Then you're not paying attention. Just look at their common opponents..

New England: Hurts 22/33 (66.7%) 170 yards 1 TD 89.2 rating
Dak: 28/34 (84%) 261 yards 1 TD 108.5 rating

NY Jets: Hurts 28/45 (62.2%) 280 yards 1 TD 3 INT 59.5 rating
Dak: 31/38 (81.6%) 255 yards 2 TD 0 INT 112.2 rating

How about this:

Dak has 2 games above 80% completion rate... Hurts has none.
Dak has 2 games below 70% completion rate... Hurts has 5.
Dak has 4 INTs.. Hurts has 8.

Hurts has 2 fumbles.. Dak has none.

Statistically it's a first round TKO in favor of Dak.

I know it's fashionable to think because the Eagles keep winning that Hurts must be playing better than Dak. The fact of the matter he simply isn't. Hurts does have more rushing TDs 6 to 1. But It's debatable as to whether that alone trumps all the other areas in which he is being outplayed by Dak. I know it's a matter of opinion but in my opinion it's a no. But it's perfect fair to like what one sees with Hurts. Hell I like the way he's playing myself.. I just think at this point Dak is playing better. I'm not overly blinded by his two worst games. Just as people should not put too much weight on Hurts' two worst games.. which were at least as bad as Dak's. His team just picked him up and won one of them for him.
Stats can be spun any way. https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/stats/dak-prescott-jalen-hurts.php

I know you can argue anything you want but Dak is an old vet now and we really shouldn't be comparing them. Dak should be light years ahead of Hurts but he really isn't overall. You can't just throw away Hurts running abilities either, they matter.

Reaction score
dak has wheels, hes slowed a bit but he can still make plays with his legs
  • In the 2019 season, he rushed for 277 yards and 3 touchdowns.
  • In the 2018 season, he rushed for 305 yards and 6 touchdowns.
  • In the 2017 season, he rushed for 357 yards and 6 touchdowns.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I agree that there are times QB's get too much credit for wins and too much blame for losses. That probably isn't going to change but I do think that is a valid point.

However I could not disagree more strongly with the notion that "if we get rid of Dak at best is might be a parallel move and could be worse"

Continuing on a known path of mediocrity simply because there aren't any guarantees of a better future is a recipe for continued mediocrity.

Either you think Dak is the guy who can get us to the promised land, or you don't. And it's a free country and you are free to take either position and defend it, I love vigorous debate.

But this idea that "we have to stick with him because it could be worse if we don't" isn't a defensible position. It's a cop out. Plain and simple.
if he isn't the guy, he needs to be gone. Period. We're wasting valuable time otherwise.

While I don't disagree.. the fact of the matter is you don't just dump a QB who wins like 70% of his starts on a wing and a prayer. You have to have something better in mind plain and simple. If the Cowboys believe Trey Lance is the superior option going forward after next year then they absolutely should move on from Dak. But he's gotta show it. Or SOMEbody they have their eye on has gotta show it. When the Chiefs drafted Mahomes they felt like they were limited with Alex Smith and that Mahomes could take them to the next level. They turned out to be right. When the Packers drafted Rodgers they felt he was the guy who could take over when Favre hung 'em up. They turned out to be right. Going way back when the 49ers acquired Young they felt like he could take over for Montana. They turned out to be right. But in my entire time following the NFL those are really the only times I can remember a team that HAD a good/great QB still swinging for the fences on the next one while the previous guy was still there and hitting. I'm sure there must have been others but those are the only ones that leap to mind. Thing is, when you have a good team, which the Cowboys are, you try to build strength in areas you need to shore up. It's hard to justify a premium pick on a kid who isn't likely to see the field in his first 2-3 years when you're trying to build towards a championship right now.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I cant believe how many fair-weather fans the cowboys have.Dak Prescott has consistently performed well in his NFL career, showing a strong ability to lead his team and make accurate passes. He has maintained a high level of play over multiple seasons. His ability to inspire and rally his team is an essential quality in a quarterback. not to mention he can also make plays with his legs, which adds an extra dimension to his game....good grief
I will respect your opinion. I hope you respect mine when I say all the adjectives you used to support your opinion are the exact things the rest of us see as false.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
This is the same argument Garrett fans used when trying to defend him. It didn't work with Garrett and it will never work with Dak. Dak has reached a point in his career where he's not going to improve.

IslandCowboy

Reaction score
Jalen has gotten his team to the SuperBowl. Dak hasn't even sniffed a Superbowl let alone win more than 2 or 3 games against good teams in a row. Dak isn't consistent enough to get us there.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
This is the place to come when you just don't want to think about anything for awhile.

jwitten82

Reaction score
I don't know how anyone can ask this with a straight face.

Hurts is a better passer than Dak even though some people won't let go of a college knock on the guy. If you want to argue they are equal passers, fine but in no world is Dak better. His legs alone would force defenses to change how they play us thereby covering some of our OL issues allowing other players to get involved.

There is nothing to suggest that Purdy isn't processing everything at a high level and getting the ball where it needs to go. Again, that alone makes an offense functional. Maybe it is a mirage but only the future will reveal that. No basis to say he isn't playing better at this time.
Lol strictly passing, I'd take Dak. Don't people still use the college Knock when it comes to Dak also?

vig454

Reaction score
Look I'm not the biggest Dak fan, you can look at my history. I think if Dallas doesn't at least reach a championship game, then Dak and this coaching staff need to go, and no I don't want Quinn as a HC either.

So back to QB
Giants- Jones will most likely not be a starter next year, Terry Bradshaw was throwing for more tds in the 70s, and I'm serious, I looked it up lol. Giants made a huge mistake in signing him

Washington - Howell is another backup, enough said

Eagles - The eagles are a talented team, had two number one receivers and a top oline and Hurts is underperforming big time, 7td and 7 ints is horrible. Yes he made it to a Superbowl, while surrounded by a better team/organization,but I don't think if we were to switch qbs that our situation would be better, matter of fact I think we have at least one more loss. Dak as a passer is better than Hurts, not impressed with Hurts 22 pass tds last season either.

Also not a popular opinion, but yea Id still take Dak over Purdy. He like Hurts, is surrounded by talent, and if they start losing that talent I do not expect Purdy to be the one to elevate that team. Still not sold on Purdy

Honestly, haven't been that impressed with Dak this season either, but I think he gives us a better chance as strictly a passer than the qbs mentioned above. Come at me bros

Look I'm not the biggest Dak fan, you can look at my history. I think if Dallas doesn't at least reach a championship game, then Dak and this coaching staff need to go, and no I don't want Quinn as a HC either.

So back to QB
Giants- Jones will most likely not be a starter next year, Terry Bradshaw was throwing for more tds in the 70s, and I'm serious, I looked it up lol. Giants made a huge mistake in signing him

Washington - Howell is another backup, enough said

Eagles - The eagles are a talented team, had two number one receivers and a top oline and Hurts is underperforming big time, 7td and 7 ints is horrible. Yes he made it to a Superbowl, while surrounded by a better team/organization,but I don't think if we were to switch qbs that our situation would be better, matter of fact I think we have at least one more loss. Dak as a passer is better than Hurts, not impressed with Hurts 22 pass tds last season either.

Also not a popular opinion, but yea Id still take Dak over Purdy. He like Hurts, is surrounded by talent, and if they start losing that talent I do not expect Purdy to be the one to elevate that team. Still not sold on Purdy

Honestly, haven't been that impressed with Dak this season either, but I think he gives us a better chance as strictly a passer than the qbs mentioned above. Come at me bros
:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Lol strictly passing, I'd take Dak. Don't people still use the college Knock when it comes to Dak also?
Hurts drastically improved from his time at Bama and by a lot of accounts played one of the better Super Bowls ever. That goes a long way toward saying maybe the knock isn't that valid at this point.

Dak, for the zillionth time, has improved from college as anyone would with that much practice & reps but he has never shown he can consistently keep the knocks out of his game. Eight years in and all too often you can still go right down the scouting reports after a game checking the boxes.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I cant believe how many fair-weather fans the cowboys have.Dak Prescott has consistently performed well in his NFL career, showing a strong ability to lead his team and make accurate passes. He has maintained a high level of play over multiple seasons. His ability to inspire and rally his team is an essential quality in a quarterback. not to mention he can also make plays with his legs, which adds an extra dimension to his game....good grief
"consistently"? Being up and down has been his most observed trait in the last few years.

"inspire and rally"? Which games as he "rallied" the team to a win?

About the only thing you said that is a fact is "can also make plays with his legs"...key word "can". If he actually will.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Still alot of football to play. But we are playing like usual. Let’s see how we do later in the season. Let’s see if we can finish strong.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Then you're not paying attention. Just look at their common opponents..

New England: Hurts 22/33 (66.7%) 170 yards 1 TD 89.2 rating
Dak: 28/34 (84%) 261 yards 1 TD 108.5 rating

NY Jets: Hurts 28/45 (62.2%) 280 yards 1 TD 3 INT 59.5 rating
Dak: 31/38 (81.6%) 255 yards 2 TD 0 INT 112.2 rating

How about this:

Dak has 2 games above 80% completion rate... Hurts has none.
Dak has 2 games below 70% completion rate... Hurts has 5.
Dak has 4 INTs.. Hurts has 8.

Hurts has 2 fumbles.. Dak has none.

Statistically it's a first round TKO in favor of Dak.

I know it's fashionable to think because the Eagles keep winning that Hurts must be playing better than Dak. The fact of the matter he simply isn't. Hurts does have more rushing TDs 6 to 1. But It's debatable as to whether that alone trumps all the other areas in which he is being outplayed by Dak. I know it's a matter of opinion but in my opinion it's a no. But it's perfect fair to like what one sees with Hurts. Hell I like the way he's playing myself.. I just think at this point Dak is playing better. I'm not overly blinded by his two worst games. Just as people should not put too much weight on Hurts' two worst games.. which were at least as bad as Dak's. His team just picked him up and won one of them for him.
You’re right. And Jerry Jones is going to have to pay Dak more than Hurts is being paid. And that’s a lot of money.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Stats can be spun any way. https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/stats/dak-prescott-jalen-hurts.php

I know you can argue anything you want but Dak is an old vet now and we really shouldn't be comparing them. Dak should be light years ahead of Hurts but he really isn't overall. You can't just throw away Hurts running abilities either, they matter.

Please do not bring me anything about fantasy numbers as an argument. I don't play fantasy football nor do I consider their metrics legitimate when it comes to evaluating the play on the field. Fantasy football is about scoring points according to their "system." I am about winning. And I did not "throw away" Hurts' running abilities.. I just don't think it completely covers his deficiencies as a passer. The more teams see their scheme featuring him as a runner the less effective it will be. Yes he will be able to light up chumps.. but good defenses will find ways to neutralize it and make him win from the pocket. It's the same argument people used against Dak when he ran more. It applies to Hurts just the same.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
dak has wheels, hes slowed a bit but he can still make plays with his legs
  • In the 2019 season, he rushed for 277 yards and 3 touchdowns.
  • In the 2018 season, he rushed for 305 yards and 6 touchdowns.
  • In the 2017 season, he rushed for 357 yards and 6 touchdowns.

Uh, guess what year it is? It's 2023. If you are going to post some lame stat from years ago why not go back further into his high school days. Lay off that Tennessee Whiskey and get back into the 21st Century.

stiletto

Reaction score
Please do not bring me anything about fantasy numbers as an argument. I don't play fantasy football nor do I consider their metrics legitimate when it comes to evaluating the play on the field. Fantasy football is about scoring points according to their "system." I am about winning. And I did not "throw away" Hurts' running abilities.. I just don't think it completely covers his deficiencies as a passer. The more teams see their scheme featuring him as a runner the less effective it will be. Yes he will be able to light up chumps.. but good defenses will find ways to neutralize it and make him win from the pocket. It's the same argument people used against Dak when he ran more. It applies to Hurts just the same.
Like I said, I don't disagree about Dak being "at this time" a very slightly better passer but you have to admit, there is time for Hurts to grow there. Dak is on year 8...he is what he is. P.s., don't care about the "pts" in the fantasy either. The stats are real tho....Can't be totally discounted either. Pretty clear Dak/Hurts are close passing wise and Hurts is far and away better as a weapon when running. Facts are stubborn things.

Mark

Reaction score
I wonder if some of you watched the game last night?

Hurts ran for several first downs with relative ease, making prospective sackers look absolutely foolish. What's that worth on your team? Dak flashed just a *bit* of that elusiveness against the Chargers, but I wouldn't place him on the same order as Hurts.

Eagles right now can have their QB turn the ball over multiple times, and still win going away against a quality team. Do the Cowboys have that luxury? Hurts has consistently demonstrated a panoply of skills Dak has only shown rarely, post-injury.