Dak is still the best QB in the division

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
Please do not bring me anything about fantasy numbers as an argument. I don't play fantasy football nor do I consider their metrics legitimate when it comes to evaluating the play on the field. Fantasy football is about scoring points according to their "system." I am about winning. And I did not "throw away" Hurts' running abilities.. I just don't think it completely covers his deficiencies as a passer. The more teams see their scheme featuring him as a runner the less effective it will be. Yes he will be able to light up chumps.. but good defenses will find ways to neutralize it and make him win from the pocket. It's the same argument people used against Dak when he ran more. It applies to Hurts just the same.
The stats you posted and the stats the other poster posted look at raw numbers without any consistent context, although it is interesting to note that the points per snap has a parallel in the NBA as to points per possession. PPP is considered to be an excellent tool in evaluating a player's impact on the offensive end.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Like I said, I don't disagree about Dak being "at this time" a very slightly better passer but you have to admit, there is time for Hurts to grow there. Dak is on year 8...he is what he is. P.s., don't care about the "pts" in the fantasy either. The stats are real tho....Can't be totally discounted either. Pretty clear Dak/Hurts are close passing wise and Hurts is far and away better as a weapon when running. Facts are stubborn things.
This is where we part ways. I am a firm believer that a player willing to put in the work will always be able to improve. . At least until their body starts to break down a la Romo or some others. Especially when it comes to the mechanics and mental side of the game Dak will be a better QB in 4 years than he is now and he is a better QB now than he was 4 years ago. Romo was a better QB at age 34 than he was at age 30 by a considerable margin IMHO. Why does Dak have to stand still for the rest of his career while other QBs are afforded the luxury of getting better with age, experience and better coaching? I always come back to the difference of starting points for these QBs. Guys who played in more advanced passing offenses in college come into the league with a huge advantage over guys who played on teams that basically asked them to be the leading rusher AND the leading passer in college. Dak came into the NFL only marginally more advanced as a passer than he was in high school. So in essence his first four years in the pros were really equivalent to his college years. He's been playing catchup to guys like Mahomes, Herbert, Burrow, et al for that reason. Even Hurts played in a more advanced pass offense at Bama and certainly at Oklahoma than what Dan Mullen had Dak doing at MSU. Those my friend are also.. "facts."

morat1959

Reaction score
I cant believe how many fair-weather fans the cowboys have.Dak Prescott has consistently performed well in his NFL career, showing a strong ability to lead his team and make accurate passes. He has maintained a high level of play over multiple seasons. His ability to inspire and rally his team is an essential quality in a quarterback. not to mention he can also make plays with his legs, which adds an extra dimension to his game....good grief
Your sarcasm isn’t working.

Mk2_Cowboys

Reaction score
Real talk. I was a huge pro Dak supporter but I finally saw the light. Dak is the worst type of QB . He does just enough to not lose his job and not crater the team but you never have any post season success or high draft picks. .

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Look I'm not the biggest Dak fan, you can look at my history. I think if Dallas doesn't at least reach a championship game, then Dak and this coaching staff need to go, and no I don't want Quinn as a HC either.

So back to QB
Giants- Jones will most likely not be a starter next year, Terry Bradshaw was throwing for more tds in the 70s, and I'm serious, I looked it up lol. Giants made a huge mistake in signing him

Washington - Howell is another backup, enough said

Eagles - The eagles are a talented team, had two number one receivers and a top oline and Hurts is underperforming big time, 7td and 7 ints is horrible. Yes he made it to a Superbowl, while surrounded by a better team/organization,but I don't think if we were to switch qbs that our situation would be better, matter of fact I think we have at least one more loss. Dak as a passer is better than Hurts, not impressed with Hurts 22 pass tds last season either.

Also not a popular opinion, but yea Id still take Dak over Purdy. He like Hurts, is surrounded by talent, and if they start losing that talent I do not expect Purdy to be the one to elevate that team. Still not sold on Purdy

Honestly, haven't been that impressed with Dak this season either, but I think he gives us a better chance as strictly a passer than the qbs mentioned above. Come at me bros
why not wait till dallas and phil play? hopefully the qbs will actually play each other this season!

blueblood70

Reaction score
This is where we part ways. I am a firm believer that a player willing to put in the work will always be able to improve. . At least until their body starts to break down a la Romo or some others. Especially when it comes to the mechanics and mental side of the game Dak will be a better QB in 4 years than he is now and he is a better QB now than he was 4 years ago. Romo was a better QB at age 34 than he was at age 30 by a considerable margin IMHO. Why does Dak have to stand still for the rest of his career while other QBs are afforded the luxury of getting better with age, experience and better coaching? I always come back to the difference of starting points for these QBs. Guys who played in more advanced passing offenses in college come into the league with a huge advantage over guys who played on teams that basically asked them to be the leading rusher AND the leading passer in college. Dak came into the NFL only marginally more advanced as a passer than he was in high school. So in essence his first four years in the pros were really equivalent to his college years. He's been playing catchup to guys like Mahomes, Herbert, Burrow, et al for that reason. Even Hurts played in a more advanced pass offense at Bama and certainly at Oklahoma than what Dan Mullen had Dak doing at MSU. Those my friend are also.. "facts."
very good assessment..

RonnieT24

Reaction score
very good assessment..
I can't for the life of me figure out why people are so invested in the "Dak Prescott can't get any better" nonsense. He has pretty much gotten better every year in the league up until last year and even last year was a statistical anomaly with all the tipped ball INTs. People so dug in on "Dak can't be this or that, refusing to acknowledge all those interceptions that he could not have thrown any better are just being stupid and it's a challenge sometimes to even want to talk to them. Sure some of the INTs were him trying to follow the directive to "be more aggressive" from his coaches. This year he has dialed back that aggressiveness and the turnover rate has been cut way down except for one game. He's just got to find that balance between too aggressive and too conservative.

Dak is not the best QB in the league.. But he's a lot closer to the best than he is to the worst. I believe he will continue to get better because that's who he is.. He's a work on it as much as you can guy.. I think the reward will be he will be the best version of himself pretty much every year. Until his body starts to fall apart. Let's hope that doesn't happen any time soon.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can't for the life of me figure out why people are so invested in the "Dak Prescott can't get any better" nonsense. He has pretty much gotten better every year in the league up until last year and even last year was a statistical anomaly with all the tipped ball INTs. People so dug in on "Dak can't be this or that, refusing to acknowledge all those interceptions that he could not have thrown any better are just being stupid and it's a challenge sometimes to even want to talk to them. Sure some of the INTs were him trying to follow the directive to "be more aggressive" from his coaches. This year he has dialed back that aggressiveness and the turnover rate has been cut way down except for one game. He's just got to find that balance between too aggressive and too conservative.

Dak is not the best QB in the league.. But he's a lot closer to the best than he is to the worst. I believe he will continue to get better because that's who he is.. He's a work on it as much as you can guy.. I think the reward will be he will be the best version of himself pretty much every year. Until his body starts to fall apart. Let's hope that doesn't happen any time soon.
Im honestly asking you....not to be dense or argue....how has he gotten better every year?
Not a hater....just dont have assessment or breakdown skills.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
I dont even think hes even the best qb on the team
giphy.gif

blueblood70

Reaction score

Well the parallel debate to this would be the fact that they say he's in decline and he's not I mean they're not giving any of the excuses these other teams this week are getting for the lack of a run game the lack of his wide receivers separation rate is poor the pass rush win rate is poor for the second year in a row...

It's obviously when you remove a player like amari Cooper from the offense and then expect your quarterback to be better with less talent and then it gets worse instead of better you blame the quarterback but where's the run game where's the offensive line where's the receivers getting open I watch a lot of games and it looks like our receivers probably had one of the worst separation rates the last two years in the NFL...

So I gotta go back to the coaching and the schemes did it really change it doesn't seem like it's changed much from Kellen Moore's offense to this new Texas coast offense whatever it is it starts up front and then you might wanna work forward and then we can talk about #4...

aikemirv

Reaction score
Play by play aside, Hurts makes plays and he makes a bunch. Yes, he has had some interceptions but he makes plays continuously. They outweigh the ints 9 times out of 10. If you have turnovers but you keep drives going more than the average QB the net is probably going to be in your favor because when the going is tough making that play is the difference between winning and losing!

MyFairLady

Reaction score
If I could pick between the Dak of 2016 running that style of offense versus the Dak of 2023 running this style of offense I choose 2016 Dak all day long.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Im honestly asking you....not to be dense or argue....how has he gotten better every year?
Not a hater....just dont have assessment or breakdown skills.
The easiest thing to look at to me is how good he has become against the blitz or heavy pressure. Younger Dak would simply take off and run when blitzed or pressured. Now he hits the hot routes, or if that's not there he moves around buys time and often creates huge plays for us. A couple of years ago the entire league completely STOPPED blitzing him because he was burning it so bad. The preferred way to beat him now is drop as many people as possible into coverage and hope he can't find a receiver or makes a poor throw. Teams that don't have the talent to do that get lit up. Teams that do have the talent have some success but he still wins his share of those battles as well. Like hanging 36 on Belichick's D a couple of years back or 40 on Philly last year. Or even the way he lit up Tampa's D in last year's playoff. People are way too quick to dismiss the fact that was a top 10 defense and was a top 5 defense the year before when he lit them up for 400+ yards and 3 TDs.

Dak is far from perfect mind you, but I also think he is far from finished his development for all the reasons I have cited many times. I think he is working through the adjustment from the uber-aggressive approach from last year to the more conservative approach this year. Maybe he (and McCarthy) found the balance against the Chargers. The main thing I want to see from Dak is consistency. Not in numbers necessarily but in level of play. The numbers are not always up to him. He has no control over volleyball interceptions or a receiver falling down or running a crappy route. What he CAN control is his decision making. When to run, when to go deep, when to check it down, when to audible out of a bad play.. all of that goes into the QB position. And all of those are things he is better at now than he was 5 years ago.