Dak is still the best QB in the division

bottleKids

Reaction score
I cant believe how many fair-weather fans the cowboys have.Dak Prescott has consistently performed well in his NFL career, showing a strong ability to lead his team and make accurate passes. He has maintained a high level of play over multiple seasons. His ability to inspire and rally his team is an essential quality in a quarterback. not to mention he can also make plays with his legs, which adds an extra dimension to his game....good grief
Unless he plays a team with a record above .500

give me a break

bottleKids

Reaction score
Stats can be spun any way. https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/stats/dak-prescott-jalen-hurts.php

I know you can argue anything you want but Dak is an old vet now and we really shouldn't be comparing them. Dak should be light years ahead of Hurts but he really isn't overall. You can't just throw away Hurts running abilities either, they matter.
Plus we implemented a safe offense with shorter dink and dunks.. accuracy and completion rates will obviously be higher.

blueblood70

Reaction score
You need 2016 Zeke and the 2016 offensive line to run that offense. (hint, we have neither.)
that's what i see they're trying to be that type of offense and do not have those players!!

SO, they need to redesign this offensive vision. stop trying to fit players into a scheme and design A scheme for your players... they are using brandin cooks CD lamb and tony pollard all the wrong way... that's my pedestrian opinion but that's what i'm seeing...

seems to be more of the same over the last 10years, decide they want the players to win and execute the offense like go beat the guy in front of you vs design one to beat defenses with the players being schemed into positive pays but they don't want to develop a scheme to fit that , why?!!! .

More motion, more WR using double moves or at least when in 3 Wides all running routes to get one open, use pollard les sin traditional run plays and get him in open fields more.

they've almost done none of that... i feel like our wide receivers have some of the worst separation rates around the NFL on a consistent basis they just don't get open quickly run routes that bring their defender too close to the other receivers...I see TP taking the wrong hole and just payers out of place all over.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I disagree, they do play each other in a sense.
Right now phil is best if they have a healthy hurts, and dallas if they have a healthy dak.
Stats dont matter, it is who gets the points on the scoreboard.
in a sense like what sense no they do not play each other.ever. the defenses are what stops quarterbacks or makes quarterbacks look good.....

bottleKids

Reaction score
Please do not bring me anything about fantasy numbers as an argument. I don't play fantasy football nor do I consider their metrics legitimate when it comes to evaluating the play on the field. Fantasy football is about scoring points according to their "system." I am about winning. And I did not "throw away" Hurts' running abilities.. I just don't think it completely covers his deficiencies as a passer. The more teams see their scheme featuring him as a runner the less effective it will be. Yes he will be able to light up chumps.. but good defenses will find ways to neutralize it and make him win from the pocket. It's the same argument people used against Dak when he ran more. It applies to Hurts just the same.
Did you even click on his link? It shows multiple categories Hurs > Dak vs just 2 you cherry picked.

bottleKids

Reaction score
This only works if the defense can pick you up. If the Eagles defense sucked then Hurts' turnovers would have doomed them in three or four games this year already. But you know.. team game..
I actually agree with you for once.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Only as far as the talent allows though. Dak doesn't have the physical or mental abilities to consistently play at a high level. That leads to confidence issues. Which helps fuel the up & down results depending on level of opponent.
Sorry but I just don't see any of this. Dak has shown himself to be more than physically capable of playing the game at a high level and his proficiency at deciphering blitzes had made the league pretty much give up on doing it to him. He also has consistently shown the ability to strafe a defense in the no huddle when basically he is being his own OC. The only physical knock to be made against Dak is that because of the offenses he played in through high school and college he simply has to work harder on the mechanics and footwork portion of his job. His arm is fine.. We've all seen him heave it 60+ yards in the air with ease and we've seen him zing it into tight spaces that we still aren't sure how he got it through. What we see from Dak this year is quite simply a product of a change in the offense. That is what is causing him to think more and play less instinctively and with less confidence. Hopefully the Charger game was a light bulb moment for both him and McCarthy.

As for up and down results depending on level of opponent? I hope you're kidding. Dak has carved up the Eagles more often than not and I think we can all agree that they have been among the best teams in the league most of the time he's been in Dallas. A couple of years ago he put 450 yards and 4 TDs on the board against the Pats.. 400 yards and 3 TDs against the defending Super Bowl champ Bucs that same year. Then did the same to that defense in the playoffs this past season.

My biggest knock on Dak is that he allows the team being down to drag him down too instead of doing what it takes to elevate it. He needs to sense when his guys need him to go run over a cornerback or a safety to fire them up and go do it. He needs to know when his receivers aren't getting separation because the defense is playing press man and burn them for a few 8-10 yard keepers to make them come out of it. In short he has to know when HE needs to be the catalyst for his team to snap out of it. He has it in him.. he just doesn't use it enough. He also needs to chew some butts when the line is having too many breakdowns. He is way too nice to those guys when he's getting knocked around.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Sorry but I just don't see any of this. Dak has shown himself to be more than physically capable of playing the game at a high level and his proficiency at deciphering blitzes had made the league pretty much give up on doing it to him. He also has consistently shown the ability to strafe a defense in the no huddle when basically he is being his own OC. The only physical knock to be made against Dak is that because of the offenses he played in through high school and college he simply has to work harder on the mechanics and footwork portion of his job. His arm is fine.. We've all seen him heave it 60+ yards in the air with ease and we've seen him zing it into tight spaces that we still aren't sure how he got it through. What we see from Dak this year is quite simply a product of a change in the offense. That is what is causing him to think more and play less instinctively and with less confidence. Hopefully the Charger game was a light bulb moment for both him and McCarthy.

As for up and down results depending on level of opponent? I hope you're kidding. Dak has carved up the Eagles more often than not and I think we can all agree that they have been among the best teams in the league most of the time he's been in Dallas. A couple of years ago he put 450 yards and 4 TDs on the board against the Pats.. 400 yards and 3 TDs against the defending Super Bowl champ Bucs that same year. Then did the same to that defense in the playoffs this past season.

My biggest knock on Dak is that he allows the team being down to drag him down too instead of doing what it takes to elevate it. He needs to sense when his guys need him to go run over a cornerback or a safety to fire them up and go do it. He needs to know when his receivers aren't getting separation because the defense is playing press man and burn them for a few 8-10 yard keepers to make them come out of it. In short he has to know when HE needs to be the catalyst for his team to snap out of it. He has it in him.. he just doesn't use it enough. He also needs to chew some butts when the line is having too many breakdowns. He is way too nice to those guys when he's getting knocked around.
Can you show me one time he has heaved it 60+ in the air?
With ease? Very few people on the planet can go 60 with ease. He isn't one of them.
Carved up the Eagles for all the years the NFC east was a dumpster fire or they were sitting as many key players as possible as they prepared to go win something meaningful.
The vast majority of the plays he makes are plays almost every NFL QB (starter or bench) could make. The high level plays are the exception not the rule.
I'm sorry but he's just not an exceptional player. Wish he was for the teams sake.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Can you show me one time he has heaved it 60+ in the air?
With ease? Very few people on the planet can go 60 with ease. He isn't one of them.
Carved up the Eagles for all the years the NFC east was a dumpster fire or they were sitting as many key players as possible as they prepared to go win something meaningful.
The vast majority of the plays he makes are plays almost every NFL QB (starter or bench) could make. The high level plays are the exception not the rule.
I'm sorry but he's just not an exceptional player. Wish he was for the teams sake.
Classic hater posture. If he plays well then it didn't count because... It's a game that can never be won because it's 100% rigged. The minute Dak plays well or the Cowboys win a game stops being a big game and the other team wasn't trying.

You don't think Dak is any good, fine. You're entitled to your opinion. As for your statement that basically any NFL QB can make the plays he makes.. then I'd like for you to explain to me how it is that the offense has scored more than 15 points LESS per game when he has been out? Have the Cowboys been so unfortunate as to have had only the 3 or 4 guys in all of football who CAN'T play the position as well as Dak as his backup? Is that your stance? I mean I know there was a chorus of idi... er posters who swore up and down that "the offense is about to take off" with Andy Dalton at the helm in 2020.. Were you one of those?

And if I find you an example of Dak airing it out for 60+ yards you'll undoubtedly come back with "Well that was only one time and it wasn't easy. He had to wind up.. " So that's gonna be a hard pass for me.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
And if I find you an example of Dak airing it out for 60+ yards you'll undoubtedly come back with "Well that was only one time and it wasn't easy. He had to wind up.. " So that's gonna be a hard pass for me.
You very specifically said he could do it with "ease". The easy & correct path for you would be to simply say "yeah, i may have overstated that a bit". Even with a full windup, no pressure, indoors I'm guessing 60 in the air would be his absolute max.

It's not hard to look at games & seasons after the fact and say yeah, we caught that team marred with injuries, or resting players, or just isn't that good or vice versa. That is a realistic assessment of the quality of wins or losses. Are you arguing that for much of his time in the league the East hasn't been a dumpster fire? As in literally the worst division in the sport.

Every week you see other "average" or even backup QB's around the league make most if not all the same plays Dak makes. Most are making more difficult throws on a more regular basis. I mean that is just easy to look around and see.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Any position can make a difference, qb has, typically, the greatest influence.

A good example is romo and manning in denver. Head to head....right?

ROmo went toe to toe with manning...and came out as a loser choker.

Was he really? Or was it something else?
Its an intetesting subject for sure.
yeah but there are other variables, coaching, defense etc in a close game like that.
We had JG as HC, and they had someone not JG.
And the cowboys defense was a little worse than denvers.
People forget tony had some of the worst defenses in cowboy history.

sarge1116

Reaction score
Believe me no Cowboy fan would pay Hurts 200 million guaranteed so I totally disagree. Hurts like Dak was great on a rookie salary but I can tell you right now his contract is a big mistake that the Eagles will regret.
In 2 to 3 years the contract likely won't even be top 10, its just the nature of the position. Eagles are 6 and 1 coming off a superbowl loss. Most superbowl loss teams fade over the next year but almost mid way through they are the favorites to get back, which is hard to do.

sarge1116

Reaction score
I’m not a Dak guy.

I was saying during the offseason I would take Dak over Hurts.

Hurts is a system player. Nothing more.

If Hurts had to run a traditional NFL offense it wouldn’t be good.

He’s better in his system than Dak is at being a traditional QB though.
Its a good thing the nfl is evolving to more of an rpo , quick game, but yeah let's not give any credit to a player who operates the system he's in

sarge1116

Reaction score
Agree. I've always said Hurts is overrated. And we're seeing that this year.
As he continues to just win....new coordinator and still a top o in the league. Granted, it does help when you have the best receiver in the league outside of Tyreek hill and JJ playing with you.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Classic hater posture. If he plays well then it didn't count because... It's a game that can never be won because it's 100% rigged. The minute Dak plays well or the Cowboys win a game stops being a big game and the other team wasn't trying.

You don't think Dak is any good, fine. You're entitled to your opinion. As for your statement that basically any NFL QB can make the plays he makes.. then I'd like for you to explain to me how it is that the offense has scored more than 15 points LESS per game when he has been out? Have the Cowboys been so unfortunate as to have had only the 3 or 4 guys in all of football who CAN'T play the position as well as Dak as his backup? Is that your stance? I mean I know there was a chorus of idi... er posters who swore up and down that "the offense is about to take off" with Andy Dalton at the helm in 2020.. Were you one of those?

I totally agree and I just put this dude on ignore I can't hear his dribble anymore it only makes sense if you wanna have a real discussion and debate not make up stuff and stupid narratives we both know I've seen Prescott throw the ball deep many times problem is how many guys do we have actually open deep I mean how many of our wonderful offensive coordinators have called a bunch of deep passes this whole 3 routes under 15 yards all at the same level I mean have they not noticed that some of the problem with our offense is in the scheme and the coaching and the fact that they took away a lot of weapons and these other guys he's propping up on a pedestal these other quarterbacks like tua and Hertz and others have been given a ridiculous amount of weapons... Even Joe Burrows has three really good wide receivers I mean one at least one that's barely below that and then another guy that's doing pretty well the number three spot I've been watched the depth that which is all the Minnesota Vikings and Kirk cousins didn't matter who they were putting in there they were getting open like wide open like how does that happen when I watch our players seem to be covered up all the time?

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
yeah but there are other variables, coaching, defense etc in a close game like that.
We had JG as HC, and they had someone not JG.
And the cowboys defense was a little worse than denvers.
That's kinda what I was saying. Tony played as well as one of the best ever. The other factors are way more to blame...but HE is the one labelled choker by some...fans.

sarge1116

Reaction score
Dak has a better arm than Purdy but Purdy sees the field very well and minimizes mistakes, akin to a young Brady. Purdy and Dak have about the same mobility these days, but Dak showed that he can still be effective as a runner picking his spots.

Sam Howell's ceiling is probably low-end starter.

Jones is just bad. Granted, his o-line is putrid.

Hurts is the real question. He throws a very nice deep ball. He seems to be 100% recovered from his injury. He is athletic. But something is off this year, and here's where I have to give a shout out to all the posters that said the loss of Shane Steichen could be the biggest off season loss for the Eagles. I think I'm on your side. Whoever is calling plays for the Eagles looks lost at times. Maybe he doesn't see the field as well as he should. I have never seen a QB consistently get 5-6 seconds in the pocket and not find a receiver. This with a group that wins more contested balls than just about any receiver group. Of course they are 5-1, so something is still working.
Through seven games, the Eagles are: 1st in the league with 24 first downs per game, 2nd on third down at 49 percent, 2nd with seven plays of 40 yards or more, 3rd with 389 yards per game, 4th with 25.6 points per game. Brian Johnson resume thus far in his first season ever as an NFL offensive coordinator. Is this is the work of a guy who doesn’t know what he’s doing? BLG

starfan1

Reaction score
i dont think people forget that. I just dont think they dwell on it or use as a crutch or excuse Not every year was 2013 bad. Heck i think Mike Nolans 2020 version was worse. Jerry hasnt put together both sides of the ball yet at the same time. If you gave me the 2014 offense with the 2022 defense then we have a shot

this whole Romo and Dak debate is stale. They are 2 sides to the same coin failed by the same GM.