Dak is under a whole lot of pressure this year

khiladi

Reaction score
Any QB and i mean any QB can complete a pass if he has 8-10 seconds to throw......being that you know how the NFL works those needed seconds are non-existent in the REAL NFL ......How a QB throws under pressure makes him a NFL Starter......

They also don’t seem to understand Dallas runs a timing-based offense, meaning you need to anticipate your WR bring open and throw it to a spot. Dak just waits for WRs to get open...

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They also don’t seem to understand Dallas runs a timing-based offense, meaning you need to anticipate your WR bring open and throw it to a spot. Dak just waits for WRs to get open...

That's how we played QB when we we're kids ....don't think that kind of play translate into a starting QB in the NFL.....:eek:

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
How important is Dak right now?

If he has a god year - we can feel confident we've got a franchise QB who can make us relevant for 12-15 years, which coming on the heels of Romo is incredibly fortunate considering teams like Cleveland, Buffalo, Miami, the Jets and Chicago who have been starving for them for a decade or more.

If he has a bad year - the entire coaching staff EXCEPT FOR GARRETT is fired, we are probably exploring QB options in the draft or free agency and uncertainty will reign over the Cowboys for years to come with no guarantees we dig ourselves out soon.

Other than that...just another season under center for Dak.

Fixed it for ya...

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Nor does throwing a WR where he has to slow down help him in getting separation. What exactly do you think they run in Dallas? It’s called a ‘timing-based’ offense.

And Wentz also threw fit 33 TDS and only 7 INTs and basically threw the same amount of passes in three less games. And there 2 more yards average per attempt.

So no your completing percentage is not legit, because Dak is checkdown king and the evidence you think that actually favors your point does not in any way favor your point.

Dak is a checdosn king and always has been and always will be..

Thank you for proving my point. Prescott doesn't just sling it around but DOES check down to an OPEN receiver. I know you would rather he would try to fit it in to a covered receiver and somehow magically doesn't get picked off or at the least tipped and then picked off but having watch ball probably longer than you've been alive I've much rather have a QB that throws to open receivers and not try to force it in to covered receivers. And again throwing the ball a couple yards ahead of a covered receiver does not magically get him separation or get him uncovered. It's funny how Prescott's rookie year when he didn't try forcing the ball he set NFL records for the most attempts by a starting rookie QB with the fewest picks and the most completions by a starting rookie QB with the fewest picks yet last season when he tried to do as you say and force it to a covered Bryant he got more picks. Lets see checking down to the open receiver in 2016 the Cowboys were 13 - 3, trying to force the ball into covered receivers last season they were 9 - 7. Yes there were many other reasons for the number of wins both seasons, but trying to force the ball into covered receivers and getting picks certainly didn't help the win totals last season. Go find a QB that leads the league in picks because they probably sling it around like the way you like it.

uvaballa

Reaction score
There’s no more pressure this year than any other year. Just go out and play. Also hope the OC mixes it up enough to help the offense move the ball.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

I remember a QB that just threw to a spot thinking his receiver would be there and open, it was Super Bowl XXX and he did it twice and both times a corner named Larry Brown picked him off. You really should stop hearing football terms and then try using them when you really don't know how they apply.

LetsBeReal

Reaction score
Nor does throwing a WR where he has to slow down help him in getting separation. What exactly do you think they run in Dallas? It’s called a ‘timing-based’ offense.

And Wentz also threw fit 33 TDS and only 7 INTs and basically threw the same amount of passes in three less games. And there 2 more yards average per attempt.

So no your completing percentage is not legit, because Dak is checkdown king and the evidence you think that actually favors your point does not in any way favor your point.

Dak is a checdosn king and always has been and always will be..

Agree with this. Wentz throws a lot of screens and makes defenses pay with the deep ball when they come up to take away the screens. He makes you pick your poison.

Pretty much the same concept we use with zeke, it’s just that somehow our qb went thru a 16 game season last year and never realized it. Or maybe he knows he isn’t any good at it.

Dan Mullen brainwashes these guys in college. Alex Smith, Tebow, dak. They are all the same

khiladi

Reaction score
Thank you for proving my point. Prescott doesn't just sling it around but DOES check down to an OPEN receiver. I know you would rather he would try to fit it in to a covered receiver and somehow magically doesn't get picked off or at the least tipped and then picked off but having watch ball probably longer than you've been alive I've much rather have a QB that throws to open receivers and not try to force it in to covered receivers. And again throwing the ball a couple yards ahead of a covered receiver does not magically get him separation or get him uncovered. It's funny how Prescott's rookie year when he didn't try forcing the ball he set NFL records for the most attempts by a starting rookie QB with the fewest picks and the most completions by a starting rookie QB with the fewest picks yet last season when he tried to do as you say and force it to a covered Bryant he got more picks. Lets see checking down to the open receiver in 2016 the Cowboys were 13 - 3, trying to force the ball into covered receivers last season they were 9 - 7. Yes there were many other reasons for the number of wins both seasons, but trying to force the ball into covered receivers and getting picks certainly didn't help the win totals last season. Go find a QB that leads the league in picks because they probably sling it around like the way you like it.

Your not proving any point. You tried to argue his completion makes him good. That’s what you call a checkdown king that even guys like Brandon Wheedon did here, who threw over 70% completing while here.

Dallas offense in the Cornell is to attack OUTSIDE the hashes and attack deep first. It’s timing based on you have to take risks.

Saying Dak is special by completion percentage

And RG3 has an equivalent rookie year and ended up being a scrub. As soon as teams started taking away Cole Beasley, which even Linehan said teams started doing by the end of Dak’s first season, he started scrubbing. Dak’s weaknesses became more than evident even in the first season when he couldn’t move the ball against stout defenses such as the Vikings and Giants.

And congratulations, Dak got some wins at the end when already out of playoff contention scoring only like 6 points against third string defense at the Eagles and because Smith caught a like 4 yard slant and took it to the house for like 80 yards on busted coverage in another game, while games were still going down to the wire against teams in disaster, such as the Raiders and Commanders.

All this while having more than decent blocking a majority of the time and a sound rushing attack even when Morris was running the ball well.

It’s way more than obvious that even Dallas recognizes they have a problem with Dak in the set-offense which is why they are trying to dumb it down to what he did more of in college and that is spread.

Last edited:

khiladi

Reaction score
I remember a QB that just threw to a spot thinking his receiver would be there and open, it was Super Bowl XXX and he did it twice and both times a corner named Larry Brown picked him off. You really should stop hearing football terms and then try using them when you really don't know how they apply.

I also remember Super Bowls where step Aikman kept throwing to spots and Michael Irvin would proceed to be there on time and Dallas would continue to move the chains?

Do you know the difference between throwing a bad ball and throwing to a spot as per the actual Coryell-based offense?

CCBoy

Reaction score
That's how we played QB when we we're kids ....don't think that kind of play translate into a starting QB in the NFL.....:eek:

That's exactly how Norv Turner saved Troy Aikman and the dynasty was THEN born...yea, go figure.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
As usual, neither one of you knows what you are talking about. If I can see it, the other posters can also. (meaning I ain't the sharpest tool in the shed)

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Dak has a lot of pressure on him? Wow welcome to the world of a Dallas Cowboys QB. Until or unless he helps this team to a SB and wins it he will always be under pressure.

Hadenough

Reaction score
I see. Prescott had a great rookie year and won offensive player of the year but nobody expected much from him so he really didn't have a great season. Somehow your logic doesn't make a lot of sense. Wow, a SINGLE season in between that rookie season and today is such a long time ago? You make it sound like it's been 5, 8, 10 years ago and not just a season removed.
I'm not knocking the fact he had a great rookie year but he has been figured out since then. When I say nothing was expected I mean expectations weren't placed on him and that can add pressure. I don't hate Dak I'm just saying he is in a prove it year. You can't sit here and dwell on 2016.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
He throws better than Dak. Dak can't even beat his fifty year old coach in accuracy competition. Or even a washed up QB Carr.
No he doesn't throw better than Prescott, that is an extremely idiotic suggestion. And your accuracy competition angle is also ultra silly. That's not even a legitimate argument.
What's next? How he wears his hat determines his skill-set? More cerebral comments like clapping?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Your not proving any point. You tried to argue his completion makes him good. That’s what you call a checkdown king that even guys like Brandon Wheedon did here, who threw over 70% completing while here.

Dallas offense in the Cornell is to attack OUTSIDE the hashes and attack deep first. It’s timing based on you have to take risks.

Saying Dak is special by completion percentage

And RG3 has an equivalent rookie year and ended up being a scrub. As soon as teams started taking away Cole Beasley, which even Linehan said teams started doing by the end of Dak’s first season, he started scrubbing. Dak’s weaknesses became more than evident even in the first season when he couldn’t move the ball against stout defenses such as the Vikings and Giants.

And congratulations, Dak got some wins at the end when already out of playoff contention scoring only like 6 points against third string defense at the Eagles and because Smith caught a like 4 yard slant and took it to the house for like 80 yards on busted coverage in another game, while games were still going down to the wire against teams in disaster, such as the Raiders and Commanders.

All this while having more than decent blocking a majority of the time and a sound rushing attack even when Morris was running the ball well.

It’s way more than obvious that even Dallas recognizes they have a problem with Dak in the set-offense which is why they are trying to dumb it down to what he did more of in college and that is spread.

Do you have fun in that vast wilderness of your mind? It's extremely obvious that what you WISHED the Cowboys offense was and what you state the Cowboys offense is, are two completely different things. No the Cowboys DO NOT have to take unnecessary risks just to make fans that are clueless happy. First anyone that bases their entire argument based on a season that saw all the missed games by starters like Elliott missing 6 games, T Smith, Lee, and then having the receiver that lead the league in drops, the once automatic kicker missing short field goals and his first 2 extra points of his career. Even the normally sure handed Beasley had more drops last season than in his entire career. Now you whine like a little 5 year old because the Cowboys didn't take unnecessary risks., because a QB checks to to an OPEN receiver rather than forcing it to a covered receiver. Wait, when he did do that trying to force it into a covered Bryant he either dropped it or it got picked off. Oh ya I forgot that's the kind of offense you want the Cowboys to run, force it in and get picked off. Somehow you think that's winning football. Oh and you proved my point for me as I sated in my last comment. Picks went up when he tried to force the ball into a covered Bryant in 2017 and picks were way down when he just checked down to an open receiver in 2016. Lastly if completion percentage wasn't that important why is it during every game the announcers at some point bring up both QB's completion percentages and put them on the screen?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I also remember Super Bowls where step Aikman kept throwing to spots and Michael Irvin would proceed to be there on time and Dallas would continue to move the chains?

Do you know the difference between throwing a bad ball and throwing to a spot as per the actual Coryell-based offense?

Ah yes it only took time for you to TRY to use a different era with different players and coaches and different rules and TRY to project that is STILL the offense run by this team today when those of us that actually understand the game know that's not the case. You just sit back and dream about that era where the Cowboys ran the offense you think they still do.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I'm not knocking the fact he had a great rookie year but he has been figured out since then. When I say nothing was expected I mean expectations weren't placed on him and that can add pressure. I don't hate Dak I'm just saying he is in a prove it year. You can't sit here and dwell on 2016.

Oh I see. A 4th round draft pick of America's Team was suddenly thrust into the starting QB starting in week 1 and you don't think he felt any pressure? Or are you saying that when the Cowboys made him the starter week 1 that the coaches and Jones told themselves we have absolutely no chance to win any games so just go out and try to make the games close? The heck with the fact that we have the best O-line in the league and a running back that shows he could do something just try and keep the games close. Prescott isn't under anymore pressure to do well this year than all the pressure he had his rookie season. The only difference is that some fans THINK that he has more pressure so it must be true even though the coaches and Jones have repeatedly said Prescott is their franchise QB.

khiladi

Reaction score
Do you have fun in that vast wilderness of your mind? It's extremely obvious that what you WISHED the Cowboys offense was and what you state the Cowboys offense is, are two completely different things. No the Cowboys DO NOT have to take unnecessary risks just to make fans that are clueless happy. First anyone that bases their entire argument based on a season that saw all the missed games by starters like Elliott missing 6 games, T Smith, Lee, and then having the receiver that lead the league in drops, the once automatic kicker missing short field goals and his first 2 extra points of his career. Even the normally sure handed Beasley had more drops last season than in his entire career. Now you whine like a little 5 year old because the Cowboys didn't take unnecessary risks., because a QB checks to to an OPEN receiver rather than forcing it to a covered receiver. Wait, when he did do that trying to force it into a covered Bryant he either dropped it or it got picked off. Oh ya I forgot that's the kind of offense you want the Cowboys to run, force it in and get picked off. Somehow you think that's winning football. Oh and you proved my point for me as I sated in my last comment. Picks went up when he tried to force the ball into a covered Bryant in 2017 and picks were way down when he just checked down to an open receiver in 2016. Lastly if completion percentage wasn't that important why is it during every game the announcers at some point bring up both QB's completion percentages and put them on the screen?

So Beasley’s drop in production was all because of drops and not because defenses were basically focusing on taking him away?

Is that why he went from 98 targets to 63 targets with only 36 receptions for 314 yards, 500 less than last year?

So 50 less targets was because he was trying to hit Dez more?

So was Dez in the picture when Dak sailed it like 5 yards over the head of Zeke on a checkdown that got returned for a TD against the Seahawks, which ultimately eliminated them from the playoffs?