Dak outplayed Wentz

Kaiser

Reaction score
I'm simply pointing out the fallacy of just looking at ypc and its impact on a QB. How often did Dak put up stat

No, you posted Morris as example that "proves" Dak can't perform without an elite running game and used a dumb example to try to make the point. You brought up Morris and it was a really poor example.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because Dak passed it well enough early to set up the run.
Dak had 100 yards passing before Zeke hit 11 yards rushing.
Whereas Wentz went 3 and out then immediately threw a bad pick giving DAL the short field.
DAL played in front the entire game.
The team that is behind always passes it more.
Going up 13-3 at halftime ensured that.

When Philly did start scoring DAL matched it and shut them down and sent them home.

Noah Brown committed two bad penalties and we missed a very easy kick.
It's not like the team was perferct around Dak any more than it was Wentz.

lol - and what did Philly's running game do all 4 quarters combined? Wentz had no running game to help his passing offense from beginning to end.

And the reality is the only possession the entire 1st half where Dak did any damage through the air was the last possession of the 1st half. Until then all he had done was short passes, got sacked, held the ball too long and had problems. Up to that point the Cowboys only had 3 points because of LVE's INT.

Dak was much better in the 2nd half - much more consistent. The running game was too - it was a collaborative effort, not one or the other, but in the end the running game was the dominate facet.

Last edited:

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
2 sacks 10 yards

4 sacks 31 yrds

They did not show any blatent misses on Wentz part like the 2 to Gallop so I can't tell you. The sack Dak took to get them into that miracle 3rd and 15 screen play was the epitome of Dak's pocket problems! And I did not even mention the ghost fumble.

Pretty sure the pass to Ertz made it to the marker but the player did not run a route which would lead to the first down. Looking at that replay the pass was in the perfect place but Ertz moved back towards the line of scrimmage by 2 yards from his cut!
Wentz overthrew an open Alshon in the EZ, think it was in the 3rd qtr. He was late on the throw, that Chido made the no-look knockdown on, if that ball would have been thrown on time it should have been an easy completion for big yards. He didn't see a wide open Alshon late in the game, which would have been a TD. He was off target on other throws last night too. A frequent complaint from Eagles fans is that he has tunnel vision for Ertz, when you have a TE as good as Ertz it's hard not to be, but it does cause him to miss other players or force it to him. While he doesn't throw a lot of INTs, he has had problems with ball security and fumbles quite a bit, he's had 50% more fumbles and lost fumbles throughout his career than Dak in fewer games.

Wentz has more arm talent for sure, but what makes their fans nervous is being able to make plays in the clutch. His stats look pretty, but it's not leading to more wins or making the passes when he needs to make them. That's one area he falls way behind, Wentz has half as many comebacks and about 25% of game winning drives as Dak. Can he come through in the clutch or is he just a front runner that can put up empty stats? The jury is still out.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
"One of Wentz's 3 GWD was a 61-yd FG by Elliott."

Yeah, that shouldn't be counted lol.
Yeah, it doesn't matter if it was a win off a 61 yard FG or a 1 yd TD run, a win is a win. That stat does show though, you probably don't want to have to count on Wentz to lead a game winning drive. There's plenty of Eagles fans that doubt Wentz could have won that SuperBowl last year.

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
Not sure if posted already, but here's proof our 2020 and beyond starter will be Dak:

Better than Wentz and SB MVP Foles. We just gotta hope that with better coaching (Lincoln Riley?) and experience, he'll keep getting better. He's not going anywhere no time soon.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
If anyone would seriously prefer Dak to Wentz...look...no offense... But I wish you were the GM for anyone else in our division or the Steelers.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
No, you posted Morris as example that "proves" Dak can't perform without an elite running game and used a dumb example to try to make the point. You brought up Morris and it was a really poor example.
If you were around last year you'd have read all the excuses to Daks poor performance. Chief among them was the bad running game and Alfred Morris. Not supported by his YPC or the number of stacked boxes We faced. I know because I studied the issue and had these arguments.

Are you new to the Zone?

Nav22

Reaction score
Confirmation bias.

The know-nothings on this site have decided that Dak sucks.

So even when Dak plays a very good game, outplays Wentz and leads Dallas to a road win, the know-nothings have to rationalize what they saw.

“Dak’s TEAM was better but Wentz played better!”

Sure, kids. Because Dak’s team had 0 penalties and Dak’s kicker was perfect on the night, including a 56-yarder.

Dak has 11 game-winning drives in his career, including last night. Wentz failed to respond last night and is stuck on a measly 3.

Kaiser

Reaction score
If you were around last year you'd have read all the excuses to Daks poor performance. Chief among them was the bad running game and Alfred Morris. Not supported by his YPC or the number of stacked boxes We faced. I know because I studied the issue and had these arguments.

Are you new to the Zone?

Are you new to logic and common sense? You keep creating strawmen and the answer to "What NFL passers succeed without a running game" still isn't "I pulled one Alfred Morris season out of my backside".

Nav22

Reaction score
lol - and what did Philly's running game do all 4 quarters combined? Wentz had no running game to help his passing offense from beginning to end.

And the reality is the only possession the entire 1st half where Dak did any damage through the air was the last possession of the 1st half. Until then all he had done was short passes, got sacked, held the ball too long and had problems. Up to that point the Cowboys only had 3 points because of LVE's INT.

Dak was much better in the 2nd half - much more consistent. The running game was too - it was a collaborative effort, not one or the other, but in the end the running game was the dominate facet.
Complete and utter BS.

Eagles RBs ran 14 times for 64 yards, good for 4.6/carry.

“No running game” my ***.

They chose to pass the ball a ton instead. And it got them an L like it usually does.

Reactions: CWR

CWR

Reaction score
Wentz overthrew an open Alshon in the EZ, think it was in the 3rd qtr. He was late on the throw, that Chido made the no-look knockdown on, if that ball would have been thrown on time it should have been an easy completion for big yards. He didn't see a wide open Alshon late in the game, which would have been a TD. He was off target on other throws last night too. A frequent complaint from Eagles fans is that he has tunnel vision for Ertz, when you have a TE as good as Ertz it's hard not to be, but it does cause him to miss other players or force it to him. While he doesn't throw a lot of INTs, he has had problems with ball security and fumbles quite a bit, he's had 50% more fumbles and lost fumbles throughout his career than Dak in fewer games.

Wentz has more arm talent for sure, but what makes their fans nervous is being able to make plays in the clutch. His stats look pretty, but it's not leading to more wins or making the passes when he needs to make them. That's one area he falls way behind, Wentz has half as many comebacks and about 25% of game winning drives as Dak. Can he come through in the clutch or is he just a front runner that can put up empty stats? The jury is still out.
:hammer:

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I think they played about the same. Maybe a slight nod to Wentz because I didn't think Dak played all that great really. Played great when he had to though, and that was the difference.
I disagree pal. Dak was the better QB last night and I don't think it was close. If Dak had performed like Wentz last night this board would have lit him up.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Plenty of others are.

Dak takes too many sacks. EXCUSE It's because of the offensive line. Let's ignore that it's pointed out on a national broadcast that he holds the ball too long.

Dak misses wide-open receivers. EXCUSE The receiving corps isn't good enough. Receivers: We're getting open.

Dak doesn't do a good job of reading the defense. EXCUSE The receiving corps isn't good enough. Receivers: We're getting open.

Dak did some good things last night. There were some flaws, but I'd take that performance most weeks with the defense that we have.

However, he didn't outplay anyone. The defense and running game was the difference between these two teams, not the QBs. A poor performance by our QB would have probably led to us losing, so there is that, but give us either Dak or Wentz's play in that game and we would have won because of the other factors.
I disagree. Had Dak thrown a pick the entire game would have changed.

kevm3

Reaction score
lol wentz is literally at the head of a superbowl winning team with not many changes but he 'still needs more weapons' to be compared to Dak. Give Dak a qb coach that wasn't his backup that he beat for a starting job, a head coach that doesn't literally call timeouts and finds way to give other team points, an OC that actually does his job regularly and not only when he's on the hot seat. Give Dak Goeddert, Ertz, that Philly O line, the refs on his hips that allow his o line to hold all day with no penalties while hitting the other team with 50+ yards and we'll have an even comparison.