Dak Prescott Finished Second in NFL MVP Votes According to the Associated Press

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So when having conversations we should only focus on one aspect of a player? What’s the rules here?
1. I did not say one aspect about a player should be discussed.
2. My comments should never be interpreted as a rule concerning this topic.
3. CowboysZone does not have a rule about discussing the thread topic.

No one is required to share my opinion. It is my belief conversations about a player would be better served if it focused on what is being talked about.

In this thread topic's context, Dak Prescott finished second in NFL MVP voting. That recognition is notable no matter what value anyone places on its worth for the individual player.

However, it is an award recognizing how a player performed for their team in relation to the rest of the league during the regular season. Applying it to conversations about the postseason, in my opinion, automatically fractures said conversation.

Some wish it to apply to what a player did or did not do in the playoffs. Others dismiss whatever a player did prior to the postseason as inconsequential. Etc. Discussion is back-and-forth banter. Disrupting back-and-forth conversation is easily achieved if a wrench is thrown into the mix. The NFL MVP is a wrench in this case.

This is just my opinion. It does not stop any conversation here. Discussions are often broken before they barely begin on CowboysZone. I do not think wishing talk can proceed more smoothly is a bad thing, even if such a thing is pipe dream.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I question why these awards are not done AFTER the season; so that a players entire body of work for the season as a whole is taken into account
I have the same question but acknowledge the NFL is not an outlier in this fashion from the other three major professional team sports. Major League Baseball votes on the American and National League MVPs before the postseason. Ditto for the National Basketball Association and National Hockey League.

Heck, the NHL has two Most Valuable Player Awards. One, the Hart Memorial Trophy, is voted by the Professional Hockey Writers Association (link). The second MVP trophy, The Ted Lindsey Award, is voted on by the National Hockey League Players’ Association (link).

That said, I do like how the NBA publishes its voters (99 sportswriters and broadcasters) ballots (link) for every award--including for its most valuable player. It does not still provide any insight into the reasoning behind each voter's rationale but readers still know who voted for what player. That is more transparency that the other leagues supply.

pitt33

Reaction score
Who gives a crap?

I’m serious as all get out.

The man sufferers from serious performance anxiety issues during the biggest games.

So does the reigning MVP this season.

The whole thing is a freaking joke.

True franchise quarterbacks are so far and few.

DallasInDC

Reaction score
I have noticed that Dak Bots tend to lose track of reality.
Mahones turned it up and improved on his numbers and rating and everything else in the post season.
showing that claiming regular season stats are all that matters is a losing argument
meanwhile Dak went DOWN in every major statistical category from YPA, Comp %, TD vs INT ratio and a BIG drop in QB rating.
Losing track of reality is conflating the playoffs for a regular season award. As defined by the NFL:

The National Football League Most Valuable Player Award (NFL MVP) is an award given by various entities to the [COLOR=var(--color-progressive,#36c)]American football[/COLOR] player who is considered the most valuable in the [COLOR=var(--color-progressive,#36c)]National Football League[/COLOR] (NFL) during the regular season.

it isn't intended to consider the playoffs, thus no reason to even being that into the discussion.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
A good question to pose each AP representative--if anyone had a list and contact info for all 50 of them to asked them their thoughts.
The simple answer is because these are voted on with only regular season performances. Much like All Pro and Pro Bowl selections.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Losing track of reality is conflating the playoffs for a regular season award. As defined by the NFL:

The National Football League Most Valuable Player Award (NFL MVP) is an award given by various entities to the [COLOR=var(--color-progressive,#36c)]American football[/COLOR] player who is considered the most valuable in the [COLOR=var(--color-progressive,#36c)]National Football League[/COLOR] (NFL) during the regular season.

it isn't intended to consider the playoffs, thus no reason to even being that into the discussion.
Yea, perhaps they should state these are only based on regular season performances for all of the fans who have bought into the media blitz that greatness can only be measured by winning championships.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We should get this stickied with how many people think Josh Allen got 2nd place…..
Personally I probably would have voted for Allen in 1st place . He took a lesser talented Buffalo team this year to the brink of a championship game appearance.

If I had Allen I wouldn’t trade him for anyone but perhaps Mahomes.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Personally I probably would have voted for Allen in 1st place . He took a lesser talented Buffalo team this year to the brink of a championship game appearance.

If I had Allen I wouldn’t trade him for anyone but perhaps Mahomes.
Once again this is a regular season award and leading the league in turnovers and 10-6 just isn’t gonna cut it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Once again this is a regular season award and leading the league in turnovers and 10-6 just isn’t gonna cut it.
Then I’d argue you didn’t watch most the games , especially down the stretch when they had to win to get in including the butt whooping they gave us.

And after beginning season 6-6, they finished 11-6.

Last edited:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Then I’d argue you didn’t watch most the games , especially down the stretch when they had to win to get in including the butt whooping they gave us. Stat line doesn’t tell the whole story.

And after beginning season 6-6, they finished 11-6.
The stats say what you want them to say. He lead the league in turnovers. Lamar didn’t.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
That list is embarrassing.

They only count 1st place votes.

The other votes = runner up = 1st loser.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The stats say what you want them to say. He lead the league in turnovers. Lamar didn’t.
Sounds like that’s the only stat or impact you’re looking at. I’m not even looking at any stats. I base my assessments on watching the games.

Hey, if you’d rather have Jackson as QB than Allen that’s your choice. I don’t think most would.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Sounds like that’s the only stat or impact you’re looking at. I’m not even looking at any stats. I base my assessments on watching the games.

Hey, if you’d rather have Jackson as QB than Allen that’s your choice. I don’t think most would.
I mean I’d rather have neither. One is a turnover prone quarterback who plays hero ball and the other is a run first quarterback who has improved ands passer but still not enough for me to want him as my quarterback.

And yes turnovers are important. Turnovers can be the difference in winning a game or not. Not sure how you “eye test” doesn’t notice all of them.