Dak Prescott just needs 4,725 yards to become the Dallas Cowboys' all-time leading passing leader

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
During the regular season he’s been as good as we’ve had at the position but the postseason has been an issue. You can’t ask for better than the numbers he’s put up during the regular season along with his winning percentage. His passer rating is 5th all-time and his career completion percentage is 67.0. He was just the second Cowboys QB to lead the league in TD passes. GOOD LUCK finding a better QB than him during the regular season and GOOD LUCK finding one that will be better than him in the playoffs with recurring issues we’ve had in postseason especially with the defense.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
What Aikman did was fantastic but it's way harder to win a Super Bowl these days.
There’s more parity and much more is put on the shoulders of the QB. Aikman was able to lean on a spectacular running game led by the all-time leading rusher and he had a terrific defense. Not to mention arguably the greatest OL in NFL history.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
It’s pissing on him when you’re quantitatively comparing them to Dak’s in his era, which is significantly less constrained on defense (rules favoring the offense) and less competitive than Aikman’s, and because of the way the QB played, i.e., more efficiently, because he was more concerned with winning SBs, handing off to Emmitt, etc., than putting up big numbers. Also, Aikman was never a deer in headlights in the playoffs.
I can just picture Dak playing on that 1989 team. He never would have survived it. He never would have made it to the 1992 team.

Chasing6

Reaction score
During the regular season he’s been as good as we’ve had at the position but the postseason has been an issue. You can’t ask for better than the numbers he’s put up during the regular season along with his winning percentage. His passer rating is 5th all-time and his career completion percentage is 67.0. He was just the second Cowboys QB to lead the league in TD passes. GOOD LUCK finding a better QB than him during the regular season and GOOD LUCK finding one that will be better than him in the playoffs with recurring issues we’ve had in postseason especially with the defense.
We also get out coached consistently and our half time adjustments are bad.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's meaningless because we are in a passing league where the bummmiest of QBs can put up big passing stats. 20 years ago, a 5,000 yard passing season would be an incredible feat. Heck 4,500 yards passing would be considered something. 40+ TDs in a season would be feat. Low INT totals on 400+ pass attempts would make you the most efficient QB in the league.

Perspective matters. Prescott being here 8 seasons in a passing league and taking the franchise record is not special. The next QB to come along will have an extra game every year, that could possibly be 300-400 extra yards a season.

Yes it's meaningless and anyone putting much into total passing yards knows little about the modern NFL.
I know a lot about the modern as well as the old NFL. I remember when 3,000 yards was a lot and a great feat.
Just as now a 1,000 yard rushing season really does not mean as much with 17 games. But they still use it as a benchmark.

Don’t take it so serious. I did not post what I did to be taken seriously.
I can care less if he gets that record or not. I prefer a new young QB with potential to start his assault upon the record book.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I was wondering when you were going to chime in. 8 years after retirement and Romo is still in your head. Did he kick your dog or something?
I never mentioned you or anyone by name, but right on cue, your T-R-I-G-G-E-R-E-D self couldn't help yourself.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
:popcorn: If he breaks the record this year it will be a fun seeing the responses
Probably be similar to this

giphy.gif

gtb1943

Reaction score
Except against the better teams

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Except against the better teams
The defense hasn’t played well against the better teams. Look no further than last season against SF and Buffalo. We saved our worst defensive performance for the playoffs. Any QB/offense is going to run into real trouble when they have to score on practically every possession just to stay in the game because their defense is being dominated. If you’re looking for another Dak argument look elsewhere. :thumbup:

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
You go ahead and compare Troy's numbers to his era and Dak's to Dak's era and tell me what you get.

I mean he his stats have to better than Jim Kelly's right? He beat him twice in the SB.

No way Jim's could be better. Could they, some how???
I don’t know what your point is.

You realize Jim Kelly was in a run-and-shoot offense don’t you? I don’t know why you quoted me three times but Steve Young also played in a West-coast style offense. Both of those were different than the kind of offense the Cowboys played — timing based on that depended more on the runner (Emmitt) than the others — which were more pass oriented. I guarantee you two of those QBs would trade their stats and 0 and 1 SB(s) for Aikman’s 3 any day.