News: Dak Prescott playing well, but Jerry Jones wants Tony Romo back ASAP

mugsybows

Reaction score
He has had so many hits and hurts you don't know if he can play a lot of games !!! Maybe he could be our highly paid backup ????
thats what im saying, its like not just his back, he has other lingering injuries that could flare up. hell at this point i wouldnt mind retaining him as a coach. i think he has a lot of knowledge and could help a lot.

Reaction score
When Romo is ready, he goes back in. And he plays until he breaks down again. Hopefully he makes it to the end of 2017, but I doubt it. If he gets hurt again, this becomes Dak's team going forward.

The issue becomes is Dak if is pulled after playing well and Romo doesn't. Even when healthy, Romo did not play well last year. What happens when they lose and Romo throws 2 picks? What happens in the locker room. Will they turn on Romo like the Commanders have done with Cousins. The fans will definitely turn on Romo if he plays poorly. This board will go crazy.

It will be interesting.

reddyuta

Reaction score
Sure Romo will play this season but can he take the hits is the question.

dallasdave

Reaction score
thats what im saying, its like not just his back, he has other lingering injuries that could flare up. hell at this point i wouldnt mind retaining him as a coach. i think he has a lot of knowledge and could help a lot.
I think he has value also and could help Dak be a better QB !!!!

DFWJC

Reaction score
Of course he does. The entire team does.
They are fully behind Dak, but come on, their best chance to really make a dent this year is with Romo.

It's why even Dez will praise Dak and then follow it up with how luck he is to be learning from "Romo, a future Hall of Famer"
Not sure I agree about the HOF part, but Dez and others make it clear what the pecking order is very chance he gets.

LittleD

Reaction score
Thanks Coach Jones.......again, why is Garrett even here???

Jerry needs a scapegoat to take the blame when the training wheels come off and the team dives into the ditch. This is
Jerry and Stephen's team and they are not going to let anyone forget it.

LittleD

Reaction score
Why would it be Jerry's decision if/when he plays?

You know the reason why so thanks for playing. Jerry owns the team and he owns the coach just like he owns
the star and the stadium. Those with the most gold makes the rules.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
i'll be surprised if when tony comes back he doesn't get injured again in that same game. i dont think he can take hits anymore. it likes playing with a broken,glued action figure, may look fine but when it comes time to play something is going to get broken again. i think its over. hope im wrong though.

Well, if that happens, Dak will be right there.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Thanks Coach Jones.......again, why is Garrett even here???
I can understand why Romo.

Jerry is if anything is fiercely loyal to his starters.

It's sort of a rule you don't lose your position due to injury if you can play.

So that applies here.

DAK will be in the same position once Romo is gone.

The silver lining is that now if Romo struggles..

we have an alternative to Romo available.

Never had that ever before..

Nice.

aria

Reaction score
No matter how much we want to deny it, I think part of the reason that our running game hasn't been successful is because our opponents don't fear Dak as a passer. They are willing to let us put 12-15 play drives together because they know chances are there will be some sort of breakdown.

Basically, we continue to run from run formations and pass from pass formations. The opposing teams don't have to guess. They don't have to play both. With Romo, we would be changing plays to take advantage of what the defense is doing. There would be bigger plays in both the passing and run games with Romo out there.

That being said, Dak has been better than we could have ever imagined and deserves to keep running the team until Romo is 100%. We don't need to rush Romo out there before he is ready.
I also think teams have and will continue to respect Dak's mobility. The blitzes will be coming like crazy as soon as Romo returns and an unfortunate but likely injury to follow.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
IMO, the criticism, directed at Garrett's opinion concerning who should be his starting quarterback at given time during the season, is valid. He's the head coach. His opinion should matter most. It would be proper for the media to pose the question to Garrett, regardless what anyone thinks of his answer.

However, no one familiar with Jones should be surprised by his reply. He has stated many times in the past how much he believes in Romo. Only a career-ending injury to Romo will change his opinion. Or if Prescott develops rapidly into a mirror image of Aikman. Neither has happened yet. Both are highly unlikely to happen before Romo returns to active status.

It might just be that they've discussed this topic internally at length and Jerry's comfortable divulging their thought process because he just can't keep his mouth shut because he's Jerry Jones.

In any event, this is interesting:

“Beginning about right now, you get over in that area of the individual’s situation and his own ability to heal and his own ability to tolerate (pain),” Jones said. “He’s in that stage right now. Hopefully, soon, he’ll be out of the danger stage relative to his spine -- probably two to three more weeks -- and we can see how far he wants to go by his own volition.”
Because, I don't think even the hardest-core "I love Tony Romo, but..." fan would fail to recognize that Tony's going to want to come back as soon as the long-term spine danger is not an issue. Tony's 'volition' will be to play immediately through the pain.

I still think we're looking at the bye week return, but it will be fun to watch. Maybe Tony sees Dak improving and he ups the time-table a bit.

cwbyfan72

Reaction score
Romo turned the ball over 8 times in 4 games last year. (7 int's, 1 fumble) Let's hope he's significantly better this year.
granted 3 of those were against Carolina. But I get the point, he clearly was not 100% healthy.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Romo is the better QB. Period.

Once he is healthy enough to play, he is the starter. I don't even think this is a debate at this point unless Dak Prescott starts playing like Montana.

thisiscowboyscountry

Reaction score
Prescott has played well in his first two starts, but at this point Romo stands the better chance to stretch the opposing defenses. His understanding of the game, ability to audible and hit the big pass downfield opens up the running game a lot more. Even though Dak has looked great for a rookie he isnt scarring defenses yet and theyre able to sell out against the run.

For me it has to be Romo until Dak starts htting those big plays and is putting up multiple td performances... If we start seeing that I say keep Dak in...

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It might just be that they've discussed this topic internally at length and Jerry's comfortable divulging their thought process because he just can't keep his mouth shut because he's Jerry Jones.

In any event, this is interesting:

“Beginning about right now, you get over in that area of the individual’s situation and his own ability to heal and his own ability to tolerate (pain),” Jones said. “He’s in that stage right now. Hopefully, soon, he’ll be out of the danger stage relative to his spine -- probably two to three more weeks -- and we can see how far he wants to go by his own volition.”
Because, I don't think even the hardest-core "I love Tony Romo, but..." fan would fail to recognize that Tony's going to want to come back as soon as the long-term spine danger is not an issue. Tony's 'volition' will be to play immediately through the pain.

I still think we're looking at the bye week return, but it will be fun to watch. Maybe Tony sees Dak improving and he ups the time-table a bit.
I believe the same about internal conversation occurring between the front office and coaching staff concerning all topics about the team--although certain discussions may be more lopsided than others. Of course, I do not believe Jones is currently as dictatorial as some "know" he is--despite his inherit narcissism.

My concern is Romo pushing himself to return sooner than necessary. He's so freaking competitive. Hopefully, the medical staff ( :rolleyes: ) will handle his recovery as best as conceivably possible.

coult44

Reaction score
If we are hovering around 500 when he's ready JG will put him in. If we are 6-2 or 7-1 there is no way you can mess with that.

I know I'm dreaming about those records, but it's just for conversation about the QB topic.

DFWJC

Reaction score
He is right in that that it is completely clear that they're stacking it against the run game.
Sure, it makes it much easier for the QB to complete passes and make them pay. Luckily, Dak is able to do that to some degree. But it is killing the run game.

The thought is that the overall offense would be humming with Romo in there. May 2-3 more TDs already. Better ypc for the backs and maybe 4 TDs and a pick passing (vs 0 and 0)
Truth is, we don't know that be for certain. But that is the thinking.

Last edited: