News: Dak Prescott playing well, but Jerry Jones wants Tony Romo back ASAP

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
When Romo is ready, he goes back in. And he plays until he breaks down again. Hopefully he makes it to the end of 2017, but I doubt it. If he gets hurt again, this becomes Dak's team going forward.

The issue becomes is Dak if is pulled after playing well and Romo doesn't. Even when healthy, Romo did not play well last year. What happens when they lose and Romo throws 2 picks? What happens in the locker room. Will they turn on Romo like the Commanders have done with Cousins. The fans will definitely turn on Romo if he plays poorly. This board will go crazy.

It will be interesting.

My mind doesn't want to entertain this potential dilemma until we have to. This is such an interesting question. Dak is proving to be special. YES he will eventually make his fair share of rookie mistakes and mistakes in general but players DEFINE who they are pretty early. I'm a Romo fan and I'll never question how special he is and what he's meant to this franchise but it's hard to deny that he's had a penchant for back breaking/break your heart mistakes. I've argued against this and still will because there are so many factors that go into winning and losing a football game. It's WAY EARLY but this kid Dak is starting to carve out a reputation for having ice cold veins and not hurting his team. What does this all mean? Not much right now. This will be an interesting decision no doubt. My heart and my mind suggest this is Dak's team and let's go with him. I could be dead wrong though.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Hopefully we won't bring Romo back too soon like we did last year or it will be another sad ending.

Honestly, I think Jerry is worried if we keep winning with Dak public sentiment will be against bringing Romo back in. It sets him up for disaster if he and the team struggles . How do you bench Romo?

I don't trust Jerry. Players like Romo always want to get back in there and Jerry will let him just like he did against Washington couple years ago. Shoot, Romo wanted to go back in Seattle. Thank goodness was a preseason game .

Cowboysfan917

Reaction score
No matter how much we want to deny it, I think part of the reason that our running game hasn't been successful is because our opponents don't fear Dak as a passer. They are willing to let us put 12-15 play drives together because they know chances are there will be some sort of breakdown.

Basically, we continue to run from run formations and pass from pass formations. The opposing teams don't have to guess. They don't have to play both. With Romo, we would be changing plays to take advantage of what the defense is doing. There would be bigger plays in both the passing and run games with Romo out there.

That being said, Dak has been better than we could have ever imagined and deserves to keep running the team until Romo is 100%. We don't need to rush Romo out there before he is ready.
Perfect

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Tough spot IMO.

If Prescott continues to play well and continues to improve, would be tough to take him off the field. But this still is Romo's team so I can't fault the team for turning the reins back to him.

My fear is that it takes Romo a game or two to get up to speed and we lose one or two of them and that costs us the division down the road.

Would be a tough spot because let's say we're 5-2 when Romo is ready to return and Dak and the team are playing well and continuing to improve, I think you stay with Dak because I can't image Romo being sharp. Plus you don't want to be messing with the teams mojo by switching QBs if you're winning. Romo didn't look that sharp when he returned from injury last season vs Miami and with all the time he's missed the past 2 seasons it would take a few games for him to get back to form if he ever does. Even if we are winning with Dak if he doesn't start throwing some TD's it may give the team an excuse to go back to Romo because he puts TD's on the board.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tough spot IMO.

If Prescott continues to play well and continues to improve, would be tough to take him off the field. But this still is Romo's team so I can't fault the team for turning the reins back to him.

My fear is that it takes Romo a game or two to get up to speed and we lose one or two of them and that costs us the division down the road.

Definitely a tough situation. One with no clear cut answer. And that's why many of us are having the discussion and offering differing opinions about it.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Romo turned the ball over 8 times in 4 games last year. (7 int's, 1 fumble) Let's hope he's significantly better this year.

A key factor many either don't remember or don't want to accept.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
He is right in that that it is 1.completely clear that they're stacking it against the run game.
Sure, it makes it much easier for the QB to complete passes and make them pay. Luckily, Dak is able to do that to some degree. But it is killing the run game.

The thought is that the overall 2. offense would be humming with Romo in there. May 2-3 more TDs already. Better ypc for the backs and maybe 4 TDs and a pick passing (vs 0 and 0)
Truth is, we don't know that be for certain. But that is the thinking.
1.In the giant game they stopped the run with the DL people go on about stacking the box, but our OL is just getting beat in run blocking
2.This is pure speculation, romo has played 4 games since 2014 and in 2 of those he only played 1/2 of the game and played poorly in 2 of them.
3.Tony coming back before spine is fully healed is insane.
4.Jerry saying this , doesnt exactly inspire dak, or the team if they prefer Dak.
5. Tony coming back wont help the run game.
6. anytime a qb is winning, they should not be replaced by former starter, that never turns out good.
7. It remains to be seen if Dak can win the next 3-4 games, so saying anything now, is just plain stupid by jerry.
8. not sure but I dont think tony has ever beat GB, so I am curious if Dak can, I just hope they dont bring tony back at that game or before.
9.If Jimmy was the HC here , I think he would roll with Dak over a aging Romo .

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Jerry wanted Romo back ASAP last season and we saw what happened. I expect the team to error on the side of caution this season with Romo. If Dak continues to develop there won't be any need to rush Romo back.

ghst187

Reaction score
If Dak keeps ballin it may be time for another Herschel walker-type trade using Romo.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
If Dak keeps ballin it may be time for another Herschel walker-type trade using Romo.
If only Romo could "ball" to the tune of an 83 QB rating with 0 TD passes, he still might make a useful backup to the irreplaceable Dak.

DFWJC

Reaction score
1.In the giant game they stopped the run with the DL people go on about stacking the box, but our OL is just getting beat in run blocking
2.This is pure speculation, romo has played 4 games since 2014 and in 2 of those he only played 1/2 of the game and played poorly in 2 of them.
3.Tony coming back before spine is fully healed is insane.
4.Jerry saying this , doesnt exactly inspire dak, or the team if they prefer Dak.
5. Tony coming back wont help the run game.
6. anytime a qb is winning, they should not be replaced by former starter, that never turns out good.
7. It remains to be seen if Dak can win the next 3-4 games, so saying anything now, is just plain stupid by jerry.
8. not sure but I dont think tony has ever beat GB, so I am curious if Dak can, I just hope they dont bring tony back at that game or before.
9.If Jimmy was the HC here , I think he would roll with Dak over a aging Romo .
1) they ran the numbers on the giants game, there were 8 in the box much of the game. Not 9 very often, but there were 8 a lot
2) Agree. it's always speculation until they actually play. The one full game Romo played healthy last year he had a 103 QB rating and 80% completion rate and game-winning TD pass..
3) Agree totally
4) Dak will be the first to say he is holding the place until the starter gets back. That starter is putting in overtime to help him as it is
5) Disagree. I think it'll help the run game a lot. But we won't know for sure until it does.
6) Disagree. If the former starter went down by injury and was winning at a 75% rate....yes, he could get his job back.
7) Agree. No telling how Dallas will do the next 3-4 games. Could lose them all, could win the m all. Romo is coming back anyway though.
8) Teams beat other teams. You know that. fwiw, the team has won twice vs GB with Romo at QB. I do think Tony coming back after the bye makes the most sense.
9) I don't know that one either way. Personally doubt it, but it's all theory.

Last edited:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
LANDOVER, Md. -- No matter how well Dallas Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott plays, owner Jerry Jones said that as soon as Tony Romo is ready to play he’ll be in the lineup.

Prescott, who completed 22 of 30 passes for 292 yards in the Cowboys’ 27-23 win over Washington, is starting while Romo recovers from a broken bone in his back.

“Not necessarily, not necessarily,” said Jones, when asked if Prescott’s performance would let him be patient with Romo's return.

read more...
http://www.espn.com/blog/dallas-cow...t-playing-well-but-jones-wants-romo-back-asap

Thanks coach for the update.

Looks like Jerry is crying like a baby for his Romo back as well. I am quite enjoying watching Prescott blossom. Not much of a run game, not much of a defense, and suspect coaching. Sounds like Romos career all over again.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
Isn't it amazing how Romo is suddenly healing faster? I'm joking but funny how this works.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
Jerry talking about Zeke.. talking about concussions.. talking about Romo .

Listen I get it. He's getting old but at some point his son should get in there and tell pops to stop talking.

popp1234

Reaction score
Tough spot IMO.

As long as Romo is healthy, he should be the starter. Dak has been impressive, no doubt (I'm a huge Dak fan). However, we need a healthy Romo to go to where we want to go.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
If we are hovering around 500 when he's ready JG will put him in. If we are 6-2 or 7-1 there is no way you can mess with that.

I know I'm dreaming about those records, but it's just for conversation about the QB topic.
Well I think even if 7-1 they would put Romo back in lol.

mrmojo

Reaction score
When Romo is ready, he goes back in. And he plays until he breaks down again. Hopefully he makes it to the end of 2017, but I doubt it. If he gets hurt again, this becomes Dak's team going forward.

The issue becomes is Dak if is pulled after playing well and Romo doesn't. Even when healthy, Romo did not play well last year. What happens when they lose and Romo throws 2 picks? What happens in the locker room. Will they turn on Romo like the Commanders have done with Cousins. The fans will definitely turn on Romo if he plays poorly. This board will go crazy.

It will be interesting.
2017? I'm worried he won't make it to the end of 2016. Having said that he starts when he's healthy, how effective he will be depends on he handles the hits.