Dak Prescott to join Ezekiel Elliott in being done for preseason

Batman1980

Reaction score
SO that will be roughly 21 days between game days for Dak. Aug 18- Sept 9.
New receiving corps, open on the road @ Carolina.
Needed as much preseason playing time as possible.
Bet we look flat to start the game 9/9.
Go defense.

Pre-season games are still just televised scrimmages. As long as he's putting in the work in the film room, meeting rooms and in practice, he should be good to go.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I don't like this. I get the idea of keeping your players healthy going into the season, but Prescott is playing with literally an entirely new receiving corps, including the TE position. Live reps against an unfamiliar defense are necessary to build timing and determine progress in terms of the connections between QB and WR. It also sends a message, albeit indirectly, to the team that it's OK to gear down and shut it down if there's an injury, or the fear of one. You can't keep putting guys in bubble wrap - they need the reps and conditioning that comes with playing.

They play 16 games. Time will tell what they are going to be. Another preseason game is no big deal.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
I don't mind playing Rush and White all game. Have to admit that the injury bug scares me a bit.

Reaction score
Whether they count or not, you could still get injured
If Dak or Zeke get injured, I'd rather they be injured in games that matter.

In November/December, the outcomes in those games will have no bearing on whether or not Zeke and/or Dak sit out these next 2 preseason games or not.

VACowboy

Reaction score
As far as preparation preseason games are useless. Teams play four of them and it still takes a quarter of the regular season to get ready.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Whether they count or not, you could still get injured

Yes you could get injured but it does matter, getting injured in a pre season game cost Romo big time. Dallas does not need injuries to key players to start the season when games actually matter. I think if Dak had his OL in tact he likely would play.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
you can also read this as "we have seen the backup linemen play and yes we are scared for anyone having to play behind them."
Not good heading into the season. It all rides on whether Frederick and Martin can stay healthy.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
they had one offensive lineman go down last year and you see how that worked out sure does give the backups lots of confidence when the gm says they are to bad to let the starting qb play behind them

DiResta

Reaction score
at least we get to see if Coop can move the ball with the B team

besides, Mikey >> Dak?

/s

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
Basically, this announcement is the FO/coaching staff acknowledging that we have poor depth at OL to protect our star players.

If Cooper Rush and Mike White get at least one touchdown on the board, color me shocked.

J12B

Reaction score
As far as preparation preseason games are useless. Teams play four of them and it still takes a quarter of the regular season to get ready.

Agreed. Definitely think they should do away with the 4th preseason game. It is a complete waste.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Blame @CouchCoach for putting this idea in my head but I think the solution is fox urine. Simply spray Jerry Jones with fox urine twice a day. Media would be gagging and puking so bad they would never approach Jones for in-person quotes.

Seriously though, the compromise is shortening preseason two games. It would not eliminate injury risk but an abbreviated schedule would lower the number of probable sustained injuries for the overall roster. And teams' would get a suitable amount of practice and simulated game day conditions under their belt.

That compromise is unlikely to happen (owners are too greedy). So, I do not mind seeing starters getting shut down after two preseason games.

DCreppinBoysfan

Reaction score
I don’t blame them. I say that because it’s an adjustment period righ now with the refs nfl and playthe ran with these new contact rules and while they’re trying to figure out what’s legal or illegal, correct or incorrect our stars are out their risking their season as the guineas of this experiment. Two more quarters of play aren’t goin to determine anything for our stars before September 9

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Dumb dumb dumb. I don’t mind Zeke sitting out as much as I do Dak. Zeke’s job is much more one dimensional than Dak’s, that goes for any RB vs QB, and especially a QB with several new receivers and TE’s. I don’t agree with this one bit.
I agree completely. This is so stupid!!! If you want to be the best copy the best, minus the cheating. What is NE doing.!!! Belicheat realizes live action is different than practice. A young QB, like Dak, especially needs repetition in live action. He needs to get use to his new receivers and TE’s. We don’t trust Fleming and Looney to do a decent job protecting Dak? Zek’s position is instinctive while Dak’s is not. Dak should be on the field. To me it’s a no brainer. DAK NEEDS THE LIVE REPS!!

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Normally I would agree with you.

But with Fredrick and Martin both out, the risk to getting Dak and/or Zeke killed is considerable. If either one goes down because Looney or Edwards blows an assignment, the season would be over before it even starts.

Jerry is trying to avoid that. I understand the reasoning behind it. Which is really saying something because I don't understand the vast majority of what Jerry Jones says.

You must have picked up one of those Jerry Jones decoder speak rings too....Mine is on back order...lol

aria

Reaction score
I don’t blame them. I say that because it’s an adjustment period righ now with the refs nfl and playthe ran with these new contact rules and while they’re trying to figure out what’s legal or illegal, correct or incorrect our stars are out their risking their season as the guineas of this experiment. Two more quarters of play aren’t goin to determine anything for our stars before September 9
Do you consider our receivers and qb stars? If you don’t think 2 more quarters against an opposing team will help, do you think the total of 1-2 quarters they’ve played so far have helped? Why even bother having pre season?

To me, the third pre season game was not only my favorite but also the most important IMO. It’s not like we have a veteran QB with veteran receivers that he has familiarity with. A better case could have been made to keep Dak out if Witten and Dez were still here (which I stil wouldn’t agree with).