Dak Prescott to join Ezekiel Elliott in being done for preseason

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
With the OL issues it makes complete sense.
It makes no sense at all. Every other team in the league will be playing their starting QB in the 3rd preseason game for 2-3 quarters. Why? Because the QB, especially, needs the live reps. We have a young QB who needs every rep he can get. Brady will be working on his craft, for probably 3 quarters, during the 3rd preseason game and Dak will be sitting on the bench. Stupid!!! We should be able to plug in, Fleming and Looney for Martin and Frederick, and have Dak getting some extremely valuable live reps.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed Jerry has been even less mindful of his first person pronoun usage lately?
It makes no sense at all. Every other team in the league will be playing their starting QB in the 3rd preseason game for 2-3 quarters. Why? Because the QB, especially, needs the live reps. We have a young QB who needs every rep he can get. Brady will be working on his craft, for probably 3 quarters, during the 3rd preseason game and Dak will be sitting on the bench. Stupid!!! We should be able to plug in, Fleming and Looney for Martin and Frederick, and have Dak getting some extremely valuable live reps.

and if Dak got hurt it would be "bozo Jones played his started and he got hurt". I suspect if our backups had looked better than Div 3 QBs, then they would play Dak more but if Dak is hurt, we won't score a TD all season with Rush and White at the helm.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Zeke isn’t goin forget how to rin between the tackles because he missed two quarters preseason, he leads the league in carrys in the last two season. Spare me the bs.
I don’t care about Zek. RB’s play more on instinct. They don’t need the reps the starting QB does. If you think it is BS that QB’s need live reps prior to playing in real games, you don’t know anything about football and especially, anything about playing QB. You think your smarter than every HC in the NFL. All of them except Jerry( yes, I said Jerry), will be playing their starting QB in the 3rd preseason game to get? Live reps, which cannot be duplicated in practice!!!!!!!!!

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
and if Dak got hurt it would be "bozo Jones played his started and he got hurt". I suspect if our backups had looked better than Div 3 QBs, then they would play Dak more but if Dak is hurt, we won't score a TD all season with Rush and White at the helm.
But every other HC in the NFL is starting their first string QB. The reward out weighs the risk to every team but our team. What should that tell you? Getting in game reps is worth the minor risk of injury to the QB. In this situation you are not disagreeing with me, you are disagreeing with every HC in the NFL!!

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
But every other HC in the NFL is starting their first string QB. The reward out weighs the risk to every team but our team. What should that tell you? Getting in game reps is worth the minor risk of injury to the QB. In this situation you are not disagreeing with me, you are disagreeing with every HC in the NFL!!

they actually have real backups, we have two bums

I have your point but the risk of an injury even if you say minor, would have a devastating result for us as a team going forward. This isn't 2016 when we saw Dak actually could play in preseason. Rush and White suck

Doomsday101

Reaction score

They are not disagreeing they are doing what they feel is best for their team. You may not like it and that is fine but Cowboys are choosing at this point not to play Dak. Having said that, Dallas could change their minds before Sundays game. As for the reps are worth minor risk of injury? I don't know about that if you lose Dak for half the season would it have been worth it?

VACowboy

Reaction score
I agree completely. This is so stupid!!! If you want to be the best copy the best, minus the cheating. What is NE doing.!!! Belicheat realizes live action is different than practice. A young QB, like Dak, especially needs repetition in live action. He needs to get use to his new receivers and TE’s. We don’t trust Fleming and Looney to do a decent job protecting Dak? Zek’s position is instinctive while Dak’s is not. Dak should be on the field. To me it’s a no brainer. DAK NEEDS THE LIVE REPS!!

Just my opinion, but my guess is preseason play isn't the reason the Pats are good.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
2 of our starting linemen are out.

With our specific situation it's a smart move.
that is a good point, without martin and frederick, better to not play dak, but with elliot that is different.
I guess a RB doesnt need much practice though.

but with that said they shouldnt play any valuable players.

give rush a whole half and same for white.

My thinking is that any player can get hurt in Carolina game and be out for many games or whole season.
They can get hurt on any play or like lee even in practice.
It happens , you cant be afraid of injuries.

I didnt see what happened to martin, but it looked like his knee just buckled while moving out side to block.
So the injury was probably going to happen at some point if he had a problem there.
I think maybe he didnt stay in shape in off-season , maybe over weight, under-hydrated , goes out and plays and something
gives out in knee.
The fault is not playing PS game , but not taking care of business with regard to conditioning.

Witten avoided injurys for 15 years, and he played ps games, but he stayed in good shape year round.
He said once there are no days off, if you want to stay in shape.

if your a big guy like martiin and frederick, or any lineman, staying in shape is more important, your knees have to support
all your weight, and if you get over weight or out of shape the risk of knee injury goes way up.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
that is a good point, without martin and frederick, better to not play dak, but with elliot that is different.
I guess a RB doesnt need much practice though.

but with that said they shouldnt play any valuable players.

give rush a whole half and same for white.

My thinking is that any player can get hurt in Carolina game and be out for many games or whole season.
They can get hurt on any play or like lee even in practice.
It happens , you cant be afraid of injuries.

I didnt see what happened to martin, but it looked like his knee just buckled while moving out side to block.
So the injury was probably going to happen at some point if he had a problem there.
I think maybe he didnt stay in shape in off-season , maybe over weight, under-hydrated , goes out and plays and something
gives out in knee.
The fault is not playing PS game , but not taking care of business with regard to conditioning.

Witten avoided injurys for 15 years, and he played ps games, but he stayed in good shape year round.
He said once there are no days off, if you want to stay in shape.

if your a big guy like martiin and frederick, or any lineman, staying in shape is more important, your knees have to support
all your weight, and if you get over weight or out of shape the risk of knee injury goes way up.

If this was regular season I think both Martin and Frederick likely would be playing. I don't think these guys came in out of shape.

VACowboy

Reaction score
They are not disagreeing they are doing what they feel is best for their team. You may not like it and that is fine but Cowboys are choosing at this point not to play Dak. Having said that, Dallas could change their minds before Sundays game. As for the reps are worth minor risk of injury? I don't know about that if you lose Dak for half the season would it have been worth it?

Yep.

I don't care how many preseason games the Cowboys play, they won't round into real game day form until they've battled through four or five in the regular season. So why expose veteran players to injury in games that mean nothing? I understand the value of preseason for evaluating the young guys and constructing the roster, but I say let the vets sit.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Preseason football is the most pointless thing out there in terms of proven starters. This OL, Dak, Zeke, Sean Lee and some others have proven they don't need to play. They get enough reps in practice and the scrimmages they have. Preseason serves no purpose for them. At all. Zeke playing now is not going to help him come opening day.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This really does need to be the final year of having 4/5 preseason games. 2-3, max.

JustChip

Reaction score
It's the QB though. When is the last time you heard of a QB with a hamstring injury?

Also, Zeke doesn't need pre-season. RB's in general are good to go week 1. We've seen them hold out in TC and come in week 1 and light it up.

Yep. I think Zeke had something like 8 carries in PS in 2016. That worked out well.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I'm glad Dak and Zeke aren't playing the last two preseason games. Let's do the same with Tyron Smith, Sean Lee, Jaylon Smith, and DeMarcus Lawrence, too.

The Zack Martin scare shook me to the core. It's long past due to either cut the preseason down to two games or outright eliminate it.

Aven8

Reaction score
Well I'm sure SNF is thrilled as am I.............