Dak Prescott wasn't the problem against the Houston Texans

kskboys

Reaction score
This I'll agree with

Not a fan of Dak's by any stretch but you are right. We don't develop QB's very well. I would argue most of Romo's development was in spite of, rather than because of, our coaching and organization.
Maybe Dak would suck anyway, no way to know. But we are definitely not helping him improve.

I'm a fan of Dak's attitude, work ethic, leadership, and mobility.

I'm not a fan of Dak's inaccuracy, pocket awareness, and pressure handling.

If nothing else, though, he should be a pretty good backup.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
> Other fans

....have you seen the responses about Dak lately? It's gotten so bad, Romo haters want Romo back. Go to Twitter or Facebook to see what normal fans have to say about Dak.

There are a select few on this board still riding him. He sucks and the Cowboys can give him all the support until it's time to move on. You don't give big contracts to a QB playing the way he is right now.
Twitter hates Dak so much. I would say 95-99% blame him. Which is fair.

kskboys

Reaction score
Coaches can only teach the game, players must execute. Dak is a limited QB and teams are forcing him to play to his weaknesses. I hold the coaches accountable for going with Dak, but literally any player who doesn't play well can be excused by the, "coaches failed to develop him," defense.
Or, you can look beyond the "excuses" excuse and realize that we don't develop players, and that is part of the problem.

I'm not making excuses for Dak. At present, he sucks. No way around that. Only question remains is whether he could be better, and that we won't know until he gets under a competent coaching staff.

Weeden, Cassell, even Sanchez have looked viable elsewhere as backups, but stunk horribly here. We have a ton of examples that we do not put QB's in the best position to succeed, but rather squeeze them into what we want.

kskboys

Reaction score
Telling that you can point to so many things about the team as "the problem". If someone says these things are a problem:

the coach
the QB
the O-line
the playcalling
the secondary
the receivers
the pass rush

All would be the correct answer.

That's when you know you are watching a bad team. Heck...even Zeke has contributed to the problems with bonehead plays.
Good stuff.

And there's the real problem, a ton of issues. I'm not making excuses for Dak, he blows, but he's also not being trained well at all. Since all of his problems have been wildly apparent from the start, where's the short passing game?

One of Dak's major problems is that we're still running those long developing routes that Linehan has always been famous for. Dak isn't that type of QB.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Since Dak can make throws like this to a RB, he definitely can make them consistently to a true #1 WR and #2 WR.

So what happened to the Vikings with the better QB Cousins?

Dak is not a GM and he will state anything to make sure he does upset the hand that feeds him (JJ).

Um, making a pass once means they can do it consistently?

The Vikings offense is doing fine (minus the Buffalo game).

Legend

Reaction score
Um, making a pass once means they can do it consistently?

The Vikings offense is doing fine (minus the Buffalo game).

Yes if the Cowboys had a true #1 WR like the Texans that can make plays like this while covered well...

Throw a regular 15 yard route and 87 yard TD results

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Good stuff.

And there's the real problem, a ton of issues. I'm not making excuses for Dak, he blows, but he's also not being trained well at all. Since all of his problems have been wildly apparent from the start, where's the short passing game?

One of Dak's major problems is that we're still running those long developing routes that Linehan has always been famous for. Dak isn't that type of QB.

What short passing game? LOL Surely it didn't show up during the Houston game. I feel our coaches have no clue on what plays to call to try and contain the Texans pass rush. All they called were slow developing curl routes on the outside. If you people want to blame Dak fine with me. But the main culprit is playcalling I say.

Legend

Reaction score
The problem is Dak can't consistently throw that 15 yard pass that would then turn into a long TD.

You do not know because Dak has never played with a true #1 game breaking WR that can run precise routes on the edge and over the middle... and can turn small gains into larger ones.

Haimerej

Reaction score
Or, you can look beyond the "excuses" excuse and realize that we don't develop players, and that is part of the problem.

Lawrence, Hitchens, Jaylon, Byron, Ty Crawford, Taco, Heath, and Church would disagree with that statement.

Offensively you can point to Rod Smith, Cole, Doug Free, Ron Leary, Looney, Terrance Williams, Romo, and more who showed marked improvement as their careers progressed. Nothing personal, I just think the, "don't develop players," is a common refrain used by fans who expect more from players without necessarily having a reason for their expectations.

I'm not making excuses for Dak. At present, he sucks. No way around that. Only question remains is whether he could be better, and that we won't know until he gets under a competent coaching staff.

This staff took him to 13-3. You said yourself you weren't that impressed with him during that run. How do you explain that run happening if the staff is incompetent?

Weeden, Cassell, even Sanchez have looked viable elsewhere as backups, but stunk horribly here. We have a ton of examples that we do not put QB's in the best position to succeed, but rather squeeze them into what we want.

Not since leaving Dallas.
Weeden won a game or two in HOU but didn't perform that much differently than while in Dallas.

As far as squeezing a QB into something they aren't, if you want to succeed in this league you have to be able to throw from the pocket. If all Dak can do is run a college style offense they're likely not going to win with that either.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Dak Prescott wasn't the problem against the Houston Texans

• By Sam Quinn
  • 2h ago • 2 min read
Some day, historians are going to look at the Week 5 loss that the Dallas Cowboys sustained against the Houston Texans and think that Dak Prescott played a bad game. The evidence is there. The Cowboys scored only 16 points. Prescott threw two interceptions and gained only 208 yards through the air. His quarterback rating was 66.4. Based on his poor play in the four weeks prior, it wouldn't be a stretch to just tack one extra bad game onto his ledger. And that is a shame, because for once, Prescott was not remotely the problem against the Texans.

Those two interceptions Prescott threw? Both tipped... by his own receivers. Granted, they weren't perfect throws, but most throws aren't. It is reasonable for a quarterback to expect his receivers to be able to, you know, stretch. Prescott didn't throw those balls 10 yards over their heads. He missed slightly. But when you miss at all with this group of Cowboys receivers, you miss entirely.

Speaking of missing, Prescott made the Texans do quite a bit of that. He was pressured relentlessly in this game, but he was sacked only twice. He escaped perhaps half a dozen sacks based on nothing more than body control and athleticism.

(Continue reading):

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/dak-prescott-wasnt-the-problem-against-the-houston-texans/

All things considered I would have rather gone 8-8 with Romo than 8-8 with Dak. But either way the results are the same.

lukin2006

Reaction score
I wouldn't bench him, I would actually cut the bum and move on. The only way he can be effective is if he uses his as well.

Hadenough

Reaction score
You could give the Cowboys DeAndre Hopkins and it still doesn't matter because Dak can't make those throws that Watson was making last night. The Cowboys had good coverage and Watson was putting the ball where it needed to be. Just like Wentz first year he was hitting all these WRs in the hands with the ball 20 yds down field and they were dropping it. You could still tell Wentz had talent. Dak needing WRs is BS. He doesn't have the talent to make the throws.

Hadenough

Reaction score
He was horrid. The local media is blasting him this morning. Every single station : 103.3, 105.3, and the ticket. Heck I don't need them to confirm what I already know.

Denial is bad place to be in.
I'm glad to hear that! Maybe just maybe if Jerry hears it enough he might start thinking about getting rid him.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
Vikings should have given up 30+ to the Eagles. Wentz had six balls hit the receiver or RB in the hands and they were dropped, lol, either in the red zone or on plays that would have gained 15+ yards. Same as in the previous week vs the Colts.

But if this happened to Dak I get the feeling that Dak would get the lion's share of the blame. Somehow it would be Dak's fault that the ball hit the receiver in the hands the wrong way for it to be caught.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Vikings should have given up 30+ to the Eagles. Wentz had six balls hit the receiver or RB in the hands and they were dropped, lol, either in the red zone or on plays that would have gained 15+ yards. Same as in the previous week vs the Colts.

But if this happened to Dak I get the feeling that Dak would get the lion's share of the blame. Somehow it would be Dak's fault that the ball hit the receiver in the hands the wrong way for it to be caught.
Nope! Anyone that knows anything about football can see that Wentz has the ability to make all the throws and does make them.

Dorsett33

Reaction score
He might not be the problem but ive grown sick of watching him

Yes I believe in him , yes i want him to suceed but at this point i just rather not see him
Well....don't watch anymore. You have that choice and right. We'll let you know when or if they make a change.