Dak Prescott wasn't the problem against the Houston Texans

Zman5

Reaction score
Dak is part of the problem. With JG, 90% of the QBs out there would be part of the problem.
People forget how so many Cowboys fans wanted to get rid of Romo around 2009-2012. Go back and read some of the old threads. We can get a new QB but nothing much will change until JG is gone.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Yet, the Eagles are 2-3 as well.
They are! I'm happy they are too but they haven't looked as pathetic and helpless as the Cowboys. The Eagles are struggling and we can't even take advantage of it.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
I see other WRs on every other team catch those same balls every Sun and yes even on Sat in college and in HS on Friday nights. Those are routine catches, everywhere but here, where if it ain't between the numbers it ain't catchable.

Agree. Others seem to snatch the ball out of the air. We seem to want catch and cradle primarily looking for a ball between the numbers.....

kskboys

Reaction score
What short passing game? LOL Surely it didn't show up during the Houston game. I feel our coaches have no clue on what plays to call to try and contain the Texans pass rush. All they called were slow developing curl routes on the outside. If you people want to blame Dak fine with me. But the main culprit is playcalling I say.
I also believe playcalling is the bigger culprit. I generally form my ideas from past history. We've made almost every QB aside from Romo look like trash, and several have proven to be OK backups elsewhere. Dak is not playing well, but we're not helping him.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Our WRs are pure ****. All of them.
This definitely has some truth but how much blame does Dak get for no WR seeming to get better since he started playing? I mean Dez looked decent before Dak got here and afterwards nothing. That's the same story with every other pass catcher on this team except for Beasley the first year. When everybody is looking worse with Dak I start to look at him as the bugger culprit while agreeing these WR aren't that good. I just wonder if with a more accurate QB could they look better. It would also be fair to ask if he had a younger no1 since some want to say Dez was done would he look better.

kskboys

Reaction score
Lawrence, Hitchens, Jaylon, Byron, Ty Crawford, Taco, Heath, and Church would disagree with that statement.

Offensively you can point to Rod Smith, Cole, Doug Free, Ron Leary, Looney, Terrance Williams, Romo, and more who showed marked improvement as their careers progressed. Nothing personal, I just think the, "don't develop players," is a common refrain used by fans who expect more from players without necessarily having a reason for their expectations.

This staff took him to 13-3. You said yourself you weren't that impressed with him during that run. How do you explain that run happening if the staff is incompetent?

Not since leaving Dallas.
Weeden won a game or two in HOU but didn't perform that much differently than while in Dallas.

As far as squeezing a QB into something they aren't, if you want to succeed in this league you have to be able to throw from the pocket. If all Dak can do is run a college style offense they're likely not going to win with that either.
Easy. Dominant running game. A dominant running game can cover a host of problems. And it did.

I don't use "common refrains" as excuses. Rather, I take phrases and if they fit, I use them.

Take Dak, for instance. Dak does some things well. And some things not so well.

One thing Dak does not do well is handle pressure during long developing routes. And that is what we run. Just think about that, and fit it into the fact that Dak has stunk this year.

Instead of scapegoating, look for reasons behind the obvious.

Is it Dak? Yes. Is it coaching? Yes. Is it questionable playcalling? Yes.

There is simply no reason to put it all on one. Just because Dak stinks, that does not mean the playcalling is good.

During Dak's rook season, they simplified the playbook for him. Which means shorter routes. It worked. Sooooooooooooo, they then went away from what was working. Bad coaching/playcalling. And then, to compound matters, they've stayed w/ the same long developing routes that got Romo hurt.

Dak may be bad no matter what I truly don't know. But our OC and playcalling definitely sucks, and of that there is no doubt whatsoever.

kskboys

Reaction score
Lawrence, Hitchens, Jaylon, Byron, Ty Crawford, Taco, Heath, and Church would disagree with that statement.

Offensively you can point to Rod Smith, Cole, Doug Free, Ron Leary, Looney, Terrance Williams, Romo, and more who showed marked improvement as their careers progressed. Nothing personal, I just think the, "don't develop players," is a common refrain used by fans who expect more from players without necessarily having a reason for their expectations.

This staff took him to 13-3. You said yourself you weren't that impressed with him during that run. How do you explain that run happening if the staff is incompetent?

Not since leaving Dallas.
Weeden won a game or two in HOU but didn't perform that much differently than while in Dallas.

As far as squeezing a QB into something they aren't, if you want to succeed in this league you have to be able to throw from the pocket. If all Dak can do is run a college style offense they're likely not going to win with that either.
Weeden looked much better in Houston. Don't get me wrong, he still looked like a backup, but a much better backup.

I fought that too for a while, but it was just too obvious.

Manster68

Reaction score
And in all the many yards that Romo had he still failed in the playoffs. Aikman on the other hand excelled. Guys just want stats and could care less about the wins and that is sad because wins are what matters.
Dallas would be 5-0 if Romo was behind center.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
This definitely has some truth but how much blame does Dak get for no WR seeming to get better since he started playing? I mean Dez looked decent before Dak got here and afterwards nothing. That's the same story with every other pass catcher on this team except for Beasley the first year. When everybody is looking worse with Dak I start to look at him as the bugger culprit while agreeing these WR aren't that good. I just wonder if with a more accurate QB could they look better. It would also be fair to ask if he had a younger no1 since some want to say Dez was done would he look better.
If you need a more accurate QB to make the WRs go to the ball, go and get the ball and catch the ball that hit you in both hands than your WR's are a pile of ****.

Sure Prescott could be better. But he's not going to be be lights out in his third season with this garbage. He's not that guy. And, he may never be better than he is. I'm just tired of listening to people defend the WRs for a lot.

blumayne38

Reaction score
Respectfully understood. Many feel like you. Dak is not going anywhere. I'm sure you understand this. So what are you going to do?
He could go to the bench. We can’t act like that isn’t possible he is not unbenchable especially when WRs are already calling him out on his his missed opportunities

blumayne38

Reaction score
Dak is part of the problem. With JG, 90% of the QBs out there would be part of the problem.
People forget how so many Cowboys fans wanted to get rid of Romo around 2009-2012. Go back and read some of the old threads. We can get a new QB but nothing much will change until JG is gone.
Not the same at all

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
But when you have a franchise quarterback due up for one of the biggest contracts for a 1-way player in professional sports... you have to ask, "Was Dak the solution against the Houston Texans?"

Shouldn't the answer to that about your QB always be yes?