Dak rookie year vs. Dak now?

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There's no difference. It's just the NFL knows him now and the people who thought he was great his rookie year didn't have a clue of what they were talking about.

He was limited his 1st year, his 2nd and now 3rd. He'll be limited in year 4 and beyond.

If only the Cowboys had a real GM. (GMs don't matter, they just have to listen.)

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
It’s pretty solid to be honest considering the OL play and the WR’s he had at beginning of year. He’s on par with other 3rd year QB’s.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Are you thinking going from

Elite Tyron, Leary, Fred, Martin, Free
Dez, Beas, Twill, Witten, and Zeke

To

Current Tyron, Redmond, Looney, Williams, Collins
Cooper, Beas, Gallup, Schultz, and Zeke

Isnt a downgrade?

except for the last several weeks in your example Williams has been Martin and Redmond has been Sua Filo.
You act like it's been Redmond and Williams in those spots all season. Frederick to Looney is a drop off but not as dramatic as you're making out. I will not argue with you that Tyron is not who he was a couple of years ago. I think that's pretty obvious. He's still good but not like he was 2-3 years ago.

And on the receiver comparison, I'll confess I was a big Dez backer but the receiver corp (other than TE) is improved now vs in 2016. Cooper is a straight up stud. Gallup gets open a ton. Dak just can't execute simple throws to open guys many times.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How does Dak Prescott have less around him?
No Dez. No Witten. No good T-Will. No best Oline in the league. We didn't add Amari until the latter half of the season and the defense wasn't playing "elite" early on. Even the kicker was better in 2016. The only constants in the supporting cast are Zeke and Beasley. That 2016 team won 11 in a row. If Dak is so awful, that supporting cast had to be great.

hopemsu

Reaction score
Are you thinking going from

Elite Tyron, Leary, Fred, Martin, Free
Dez, Beas, Twill, Witten, and Zeke

To

Current Tyron, Redmond, Looney, Williams, Collins
Cooper, Beas, Gallup, Schultz, and Zeke

Isnt a downgrade?

No doubt lol.. I can’t believe that question was asked.

Awesome qbs need zero talent around them. Tom Brady doesn’t even require his team mates to have played college football because he simply carries that organization.
Elite qbs have never thrown an open receiver.
Elite qbs don’t even need an online, it’s really wasted roster spots on some teams because their qb is so good.

9darter

Reaction score
If anything he's like 5% better now because of experience. However, it doesn't really translate into anything meaningful and measurable as the complexity and demands of his position is out of sync with his talent level.

He's just not good enough. Far from it. And he put all the flaws on display in 2016, too.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
When Dak was a rookie, he had nothing to lose and everything to gain. He went out and just played without thinking too much and it was magic. He wasn’t supposed to be playing and wasn’t expected to do well. Once he won the job and had no competition, the thoughts of winning the lottery with a huge contract like Romo did had to dominate his thinking. That’s just human nature. Now he has millions and millions to lose and it appears to me he is afraid to pull the trigger and throw ints.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Don't forget that our special teams continually put our offense in a bad position. And we get no benefit of the other teams penalties as we are the team with the least penalty yards against us in the league.

1. One of the worst OCs in the league
2. Our current Oline has two backups and one backup's backup
3. No dominant receiving threat outside of Cooper
4. Poor average field position
5. No penalties to help us

It's tough sledding out there

You just cannot have a good offense or a consistent offense without a quality Oline. Never seen an Oline go this bad this quickly.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
When Dak was a rookie, he had nothing to lose and everything to gain. He went out and just played without thinking too much and it was magic. He wasn’t supposed to be playing and wasn’t expected to do well. Once he won the job and had no competition, the thoughts of winning the lottery with a huge contract like Romo did had to dominate his thinking. That’s just human nature. Now he has millions and millions to lose and it appears to me he is afraid to pull the trigger and throw ints.

Wrong. He had a great Oline that game him time to throw and little pressure.

GenoT

Reaction score
I love to simplify things and when everyone is healthy and they give him time to throw, I don't care if you are Brandon Weeden you will look like an All Pro. For him to succeed we need everyone in there (1st team) doing there job and he'll be fine.
Maybe such simplicity would hold true on Fantasy Island, but in the real-world of an NFL season, a QB’s gotta get it done while playing with those teammates who are healthy and available at any given time.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Maybe such simplicity would hold true on Fantasy Island, but in the real-world of an NFL season, a QB’s gotta get it done while playing with those teammates who are healthy and available at any given time.

Then you don't understand offense or the QB position.

Doomsday77

Reaction score
Da Plane!! Da Plane! What I was trying to get across is that he played with a completely different O-line Geno and look what happened. This isn't the line he inherited in '16 is it? Yes, a great QB makes adjustments he is just a little slow.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
So his rookie year Dak looked like we had found magic.
Now he shouldn't be playing in the NFL.
The coaching and management around him is exactly the same exact for Romo isnt there for advice and the OL was terrific and could protect him no matter how long he took back there in the pocket.
Now he has Moore and a terrible OL due to injuries and attitude.
Last year, no Zeke for a good percentage and we were complaining what happened to the effort of the OL from his rookie year as the personnel was the same, so he has some manufactured excuses for year 2.

So this year with a garbage OL due to injuries and lack of effort, Dak is completely exposed as useless.

So we need a new QB that can overcome coaching incompetence, a poor OL, mismanagement and no help in development that comes in for a fair price and we should see great improvement.
We need a QB who can throw the ball.

DAK is just not more than a outlet passer and never gets the ball more than 15 yards downfield.

Opposing teams are not afraid of DAK at this point.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Da Plane!! Da Plane! What I was trying to get across is that he played with a completely different O-line Geno and look what happened. This isn't the line he inherited in '16 is it? Yes, a great QB makes adjustments he is just a little slow.

Exactly, the difference is the Oline.

HellCrowe

Reaction score
The defense has been the major factor in maintaining the games to mitigate our inability to score on offense. They keep the game manageable for a “clutch” ending

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So his rookie year Dak looked like we had found magic.
Now he shouldn't be playing in the NFL.
The coaching and management around him is exactly the same exact for Romo isnt there for advice and the OL was terrific and could protect him no matter how long he took back there in the pocket.
Now he has Moore and a terrible OL due to injuries and attitude.
Last year, no Zeke for a good percentage and we were complaining what happened to the effort of the OL from his rookie year as the personnel was the same, so he has some manufactured excuses for year 2.

So this year with a garbage OL due to injuries and lack of effort, Dak is completely exposed as useless.

So we need a new QB that can overcome coaching incompetence, a poor OL, mismanagement and no help in development that comes in for a fair price and we should see great improvement.

Maybe you missed the Saints game where Dak was the winning QB.

The Jags game where the Cowboys scored 40 points.

The Skins game where the Cowboys scored 31 points.

The Cowboys leading the division as of a week ago.

Dak's only real issue is that he is more dependent on a performance by the OL as compared to Romo who could freelance when the OL struggled.

In 2016 Ron Leary was the LG. Tyron, Martin and Frederick were health. The great but highly underrated Jermey Parnell played much of that season and the playoff games at RT.

In 2018 Frederick is out. Tyron has a neck/shoulder issue, an elbow issue and a back issue. Martin has been playing with a knee injury that Garrett says would keep most players off the field. Connor Williams is a rookie that everyone knew would need a year to get up to NFL weight/strength. Sua-Filo was cut by the Texans and added during the season. Adam Redmond played in the Indy game and he was practice squad player from the Bills. Joe Looney is a low paid backup that has started all games at Center. La'el is a Guard playing RT. The best blocking TE is Swaim and he has been out for several games.

Aikman had a similar issue. He was not good when the OL was not good; however, when it was good he won 3 Super Bowls. He was not a freelance type QB like Romo.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I think the biggest thing is teams are taking away easy throws to the middle of the field and making him throw outside the hashes.

His lack of accuracy and anticipation make these throws hard for him and he’s missed quite a few.

HungryLion

Reaction score
except for the last several weeks in your example Williams has been Martin and Redmond has been Sua Filo.
You act like it's been Redmond and Williams in those spots all season. Frederick to Looney is a drop off but not as dramatic as you're making out. I will not argue with you that Tyron is not who he was a couple of years ago. I think that's pretty obvious. He's still good but not like he was 2-3 years ago.

And on the receiver comparison, I'll confess I was a big Dez backer but the receiver corp (other than TE) is improved now vs in 2016. Cooper is a straight up stud. Gallup gets open a ton. Dak just can't execute simple throws to open guys many times.

The OL is a shell of its former self.

Tyron isn’t 100% healthy. Fredrick has been out all season, Connor Williams or Sua FILO are nowhere close to as good as Ron Leary was and Le El Collins is not as good as Parnell or doug free.

The Ol is highly compromised right now due to injury. It’s nobody’s fault. It happens. The OL in 2016 was incredible.

Zman5

Reaction score
Dak right now looks exactly the same as in his rookie year. Dont compare stats when you have problems to interpret them the right way.

This has nothing to do with coaching also.

Why is it so hard for some people to accept that daks talent level is the reason he plays the way he does ?!

No he doesn't look the same. In his rookie year, he was much more decisive when it came to running with the ball. He'd look for one or two receivers then bail before the rush got to him and make a positive play.

Now, he just stands in the pocket and doesn't even try to run and gets sacked most of the time. It's like the coaches are telling him not to run.