Dak rookie year vs. Dak now?

LittleD

Reaction score
When Aikman had a bad Oline he couldn't hit anyone. He also had Irvin, Novakec, Harper, Jimmy Johnson and Norv Turner surrounding him. Dak has what exactly? Cooper?

Who is Zeke? I do admit that our coaching staff on the offense is a big hindrance to Dak and this team but, that is just another Jerry and Stephen mistake. The Cowboy's organization makes and has
made lots of mistakes. Aikman didn't have to pass that much because the running game could be counted on to move the ball and control games. I think Dak is a wonderful person just not a wonderful QB and will likely fail in Dallas just like previous QB's such as Danny White who I liked as a QB much better.

LittleD

Reaction score
LOL.....This is NOT a SB team. Not even close. That is the point. Most good teams have great coaching, which we do not.

Not sure why some of you fail to grasp why this offense is soo bad.

1. 3rd year QB with bad coaching, bad scheme, pocket presence issues
2. Injury ravaged Oline that is 2nd worst in the NFL in pass blocking
3. Rookie starting receiver and TE rest of TE's are 3rd stringers

Only way to mask these deficiencies is to have a great Oline. This way the QB can stand in a clean pocket, the scheme and coaching isn't as big a problem, and Zeke can just run wild against almost anyone.

I agree with you. We are not a SB team this year and as long as this coaching staff and Dak are with the team, we won't even get close.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Who is Zeke? I do admit that our coaching staff on the offense is a big hindrance to Dak and this team but, that is just another Jerry and Stephen mistake. The Cowboy's organization makes and has
made lots of mistakes. Aikman didn't have to pass that much because the running game could be counted on to move the ball and control games. I think Dak is a wonderful person just not a wonderful QB and will likely fail in Dallas just like previous QB's such as Danny White who I liked as a QB much better.

And why did White fail? Because he took over a team that was getting old and fading. Why did Romo fail? Players around him and coaching.

Dak in particular needs a great Oline. If we don't resurrect that, then he wont have the type of success we want.

LittleD

Reaction score
And why did White fail? Because he took over a team that was getting old and fading. Why did Romo fail? Players around him and coaching.

Dak in particular needs a great Oline. If we don't resurrect that, then he wont have the type of success we want.

No argument from me. One point of difference is that Dak needs more than just a great OL. He needs a QB coach guru, not a flunky of Linehan the failure.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
No argument from me. One point of difference is that Dak needs more than just a great OL. He needs a QB coach guru, not a flunky of Linehan the failure.

QB's need all these things. Some more then others.

The difference for me is that I think its rather silly to bash a young QB that currently has bad coaching, a bad scheme, a bad line, and marginal receivers that is only in his 3rd year. Then of course there is that little problem of the fact that we don't have anyone else and no way of getting anyone else.
I hear people bark for a new rookie QB. Whomever that is isn't going to do anything in this offense. The problems around the QB need to be addressed, whomever that is, and then whomever that QB is will have a real opportunity to become the best version of himself.

DCreppinBoysfan

Reaction score
In the opening post, What do the threadstarter mean by we have a terrible offensive line due to attitude(he also said injuries)?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Sad..but, true. More years of failure and frustration to come zoners. Gotta love it!

More of the same. As long as Garrett is here running this team and offense it will be inconsistent. Unless he is relegated to figurehead only.

Garrett has been separated from calling plays but he still has his hands all over this offense. Linehan is HIS guy running the type of offense that Garrett prefers in that Garrett way.

If you hire a great young OC to completely handle the offensive side of the ball where he does his own thing, then we have a chance to do something.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I put 60% of Daks issue on the offense , oline issues and mostly Scot linehan trying to force Dak into the Romo role..he occasionally uses Rpos, bootlegs, and playaction etc but its very rare and this is ridiculous..no need to look further then Seatle and the way they use a great running game to hit big chunk lays with playaction and utilize Russ legs when needed..Scott needs to find all those and go to them early and often in the playoffs, leaving plays and points on the board cant happen theres no next week..

Daks not being used like he should on regular basis, those plays should be a staple not a once in blue moon call, how can Garett and Scott not see this?

Reality I like Dak but he is what he is and hes a 12-16 QB in this league, thats average but if used more to his stretch's he can perform better, hes showed it. Making him sit in the pocket endlessly waiting on timing routes are NOT it!!

LittleD

Reaction score
QB's need all these things. Some more then others.

The difference for me is that I think its rather silly to bash a young QB that currently has bad coaching, a bad scheme, a bad line, and marginal receivers that is only in his 3rd year. Then of course there is that little problem of the fact that we don't have anyone else and no way of getting anyone else.
I hear people bark for a new rookie QB. Whomever that is isn't going to do anything in this offense. The problems around the QB need to be addressed, whomever that is, and then whomever that QB is will have a real opportunity to become the best version of himself.

Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda... I did not want to give up a 1st for any WR when we have a QB problem caused by several issues. I agree that we need a QB and lots of new coaches including HC. One thing to think about is what if we offered up Dak for draft picks. What would we get today? Not a 1 that's for sure.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda... I did not want to give up a 1st for any WR when we have a QB problem caused by several issues. I agree that we need a QB and lots of new coaches including HC. One thing to think about is what if we offered up Dak for draft picks. What would we get today? Not a 1 that's for sure.

I said nothing about needing a new QB. What we need is a new Olne and better coaching. You bring a rookie QB in here and you will get worse QB play. Probably for several years.

And unless you fix the Oline issue, no QB is going to take us anywhere here. Its a miracle that we made the playoffs as it is.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Sees plenty. He is doing the right thing by being conservative. Unless he needs to do more like against the Eagles. Most 3rd year QB's are bus drivers that need to work on things.

Do you get any enjoyment out of making the playoffs or winning games these days?

Most 3rd year QB's can actually make plays with their arm . Dak can not or will not.

Yes and I root for all cowboys even Dak.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Excuses excuses excuses and more excuses.....do you have any idea what a qualified QB could do with a Cooper?
NO MORE EXCUSES!!! Dak has regressed and is a liability out there weekly....!!
The sooner he is gone the better as this team with all its potential is being held back by the broken wheel called Dak Prescott....!
You make excuses for every other player but Dak.

LittleD

Reaction score
I said nothing about needing a new QB. What we need is a new Olne and better coaching. You bring a rookie QB in here and you will get worse QB play. Probably for several years.

And unless you fix the Oline issue, no QB is going to take us anywhere here. Its a miracle that we made the playoffs as it is.

Really? I wonder if Kansas City and LA feel that way about their QB's. Could you even get a 3rd round pick for Dak if you offered him up to the NFL Market this spring? Doubt it.

LittleD

Reaction score

You should have... We need all you quoted and a new QB.

Redline360

Reaction score
There's so many underling issues on offense it can not be blamed solely on Dak although he is the center piece of focus(well duh).

Let's break it down...

Coaching:
1. The issue starts here and should end here
2. We basically run the same plays from the romo years. Numerous teams and even players have called out the horrendous game plan
3. Trying to make dak into a pocket passer and not building around his strengths. He is not a pocket passer and never will be.
4. When we get to third downs and say we need 6+ yards the coaching staff has the brilliant idea to do all these check down passes for 4 yards

Quarterback:
1. His scouting report was dead on
2. Inaccurate, has trouble with pocket awareness, trouble reading defenses
3. MOST important in my opinion is that he does not anticipate nor throws the ball before the receiver breaks his route. No confidence
4. Holds the ball to long. Combination of points 2 & 3

So we have a quarterback who lacks accuracy, has no pocket awareness , and does not anticipate routes but the brilliant coaching staff decides we can make him into a pocket passer. Fail on Fail

If we actually start playing to his strengths(like his rookie year) the offence can open up greatly. Start spreading the field instead of dink and dunk passes. Let Zeke not run into stacked boxes 50% of the time

Last edited:

aaev84

Reaction score
Amazing, you found the exact problem and then came to the wrong conclusion. Oline is the problem. Fix that and the offense gets fixed.

I don't know if this is pure genius to purely dumb:

So we need a new QB that can overcome coaching incompetence, a poor OL, mismanagement and no help in development that comes in for a fair price and we should see great improvement
Yep. Oline will fix him anticipating receivers and his accuracy. I swear some make it seem like Dak plays behind the worst oline in the entire nfl.

aaev84

Reaction score
I don't think they are wrong. A lot of these guys also say they like Dak he is a good young QB.

You don't get to pick your QB as fans. Its not fantasy football. I don't see a better QB on this team. So what you do is you develop the guy that you have. For Dak, the ONLY way he can be a top level QB is to have a great Oline in front of him. So that's what you do. That same great Oline would also benefit Zeke and any other QB you put under center. If Dak can play like he did in 2016 that's all we need.
31 other teams would also love to have the best oline for their respective teams. Would argue a decent amount of teams would swap for Dallas oline even in its present state. Nothing is ever in a vacuum. Dak is figured out. He got a tremendous wr in cooper now that has also been taken away the last couple of games. Hopefully that doesnt continue