Dak sure is lucky he isn't being given the "Romo" treatment

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Romo was broken down by then and hadn’t led us to a Super Bowl when he was healthier and had good teams around him.

It’s unlikely that Romo would have played better than Dak did in the playoffs in 2016.

If Dak had played poorly against GB it would be a different story, but he played well.

No excuses for Dak now though.

Romo's injury in 2016 had little to nothing to do with his ACTUAL back problem - anyone would have broken a bone the way he fell and was tackled in the playoffs. He was in his mid-30s, not 70s, he wasn't depleted of calcium.

He showed in the Eagles game he was just fine. Anyone suggesting that Dak was the better starter for that Packers game is a knucklehead.

JJHLH1

Reaction score
Romo's injury in 2016 had little to nothing to do with his ACTUAL back problem - anyone would have broken a bone the way he fell and was tackled in the playoffs. He was in his mid-30s, not 70s, he wasn't depleted of calcium.

He showed in the Eagles game he was just fine. Anyone suggesting that Dak was the better starter for that Packers game is a knucklehead.

The coaches were in the best position to make the call and I think they made the right one.

I’ve never looked back and thought Dak was the reason we lost to GB. He played very well.

But he hasn’t played well since the first half of last year.

That’s a much bigger concern.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Romo was done. It was the right decision.

Of course some fans have the opinion that the 2016 team was the best chance Romo ever had to win a Super Bowl. And therefore tends to try to downplay the teams Romo did have around him. Because during the moment of the 2014 season, I'm sure there were a lot of takes in the media and amongst fans, that the 2014 roster was one of the strongest contenders or favorites to make the Super Bowl. But just like with Dak, Cowboys teams which looked like strong contenders in the playoffs, came up short and failed to even get to the NFC Championship game.

Who is to even say that the defense under Romo would even be able to be relied on to stop a QB like Rodgers, when it was needed late in the 4th quarter in order to seal a win for the Cowboys or help to give Romo a chance to get to the Super Bowl.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Romo was broken down by then and hadn’t led us to a Super Bowl when he was healthier and had good teams around him.

It’s unlikely that Romo would have played better than Dak did in the playoffs in 2016.

If Dak had played poorly against GB it would be a different story, but he played well.

No excuses for Dak now though.
Unlikely wouldve played better?

Getting down 21-3 and having to bring the team all the way back isnt exactly lighting it up.

We have seen the same story from Dak for 7 years now. Get down early and then try to bring the team back but its too late!

JJHLH1

Reaction score
Unlikely wouldve played better?

Getting down 21-3 and having to bring the team all the way back isnt exactly lighting it up.

We have seen the same story from Dak for 7 years now. Get down early and then try to bring the team back but its too late!

I agree Dak is inconsistent.

That wasn’t evident his rookie season though.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
I agree Dak is inconsistent.

That wasn’t evident his rookie season though.

There were also games in which the team fell behind with Romo and had to try and come back to win the game. Also Romo wasn't always perfect in big game and elimination/playoff games. Even going several years into his career as a starter. He made mistakes and turnovers in key moments during games.

I think some tend to have a little revisionists history when it comes to Romo, due to the current controversy surrounding Dak.

JJHLH1

Reaction score
What was evident his rookie season was a limited offense and less effective passing game.

Which was good enough to go 13-3 and earn home field advantage.

The coaches went with what got them there.

I would love for the Cowboys to be in the Super Bowl again.

Haimerej

Reaction score
Which was good enough to go 13-3 and earn home field advantage.

The coaches went with what got them there.

It's not like Tony didn't know the offense. When healthy, he was playing at a very high level. He was reportedly destroying the defense in practice and created the myth of the Baylor basketballer. I said at the time all the, "chemistry," talk would stop if he came in and played well. There's no reason to think he wouldn't.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
All of the coaches, owners, and players are defending Dak. In 2016, ownership was being very coy about the situation. I understand 13-3 is an impressive stat, but telling Romo that he can't even compete for the starting job is absolutely ridiculous.

This organization has actually done a good job at given Dak what he needs to be successful: great wrs, great rb, a good to great offensive line throughout most of his tenure and now a top level defense.

I do not believe Cooper Rush is a better quarterback than Dak Prescott. However, I think this coaching staff seems to manage the game better with Cooper at the helm. My hope is when Dak comes back, he sees how lucky he is that he still has that job because his opportunities are thinning out.
Zip it already. It's sickening. You Dak haters are the worst.

starfan1

Reaction score
There were also games in which the team fell behind with Romo and had to try and come back to win the game. Also Romo wasn't always perfect in big game and elimination/playoff games. Even going several years into his career as a starter. He made mistakes and turnovers in key moments during games.

I think some tend to have a little revisionists history when it comes to Romo, due to the current controversy surrounding Dak.
This! 2014 broke alot of our hearts but especially those who had Romo as their favorite player that rags to riches story was also played out in 16 but the injury and Daks success killed that

Haimerej

Reaction score

His two playoff games in '14, last playoffs of his career, he had ratings of 114 and 143. No picks. If you add Dez's catch to the 143 rating, he probably has a perfect rating that game.

starman22

Reaction score
As fans, we should rightfully put Romo's career in the rear-view mirror and concentrate upon the here and now. Romo's situation was very unique to his personal situation in ways that couldn't be avoided back then. It most definitely can't be changed in the present.

Tony Romo had a long and respectful career and that should be left to be respected for what it was. Romo is content with his situation now. Feeling sorrow for his eventual situation at the end of his career is merely an exercise in futility. He's a happy, healthy man now and that's to be appreciated.

Let's deal with the here and now and make the best of what the future has to offer. Tony has moved on -- so should we. Dak will be treated as the Dallas front office sees fit. He's a millionaire -- feeling sorry for him isn't that different for him than it was for Tony. Pro football careers can easily end with little or no warning. That's life in the NFL.

This is a very good way of looking at this situation, however I think it is more their belief that we would have progressed further in the postseason with Romo. I know the arguments for and against this, but I believe that the belief that we may have won a Super Bowl that year with Romo is what drives it.

I don't think it's that people feel sorry for him, just the fact that we may have won #6, and are still waiting.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Really? All you have to ask is all the other organizations in the NFL, would they have played Dak or a healthy Romo in 2016, starting with BB. I’d wager 31 out of 32 teams would’ve said they would start Romo. It was never a question of Dak doing an admirable job subbing. It was how much better that team could’ve been with Romo. It was a dumb decision and will always be one, made by two of the more worse than average football minds on the planet.

terra

Reaction score
It was the right decision.

Dak was playing great in 2016.

He played great in the playoffs even though we lost.

I hope Rush keeps winning and puts the pressure on Dak.
Dak played great in the playoffs but he made critical errors and we lost the game.
So in the end the question still remains was it the right decision. Because here we are still nowhere near a SB contender and he has to take his share of the blame.

Maxmadden

Reaction score
This is a very good way of looking at this situation, however I think it is more their belief that we would have progressed further in the postseason with Romo. I know the arguments for and against this, but I believe that the belief that we may have won a Super Bowl that year with Romo is what drives it.

I don't think it's that people feel sorry for him, just the fact that we may have won #6, and are still waiting.

For a fact we know which way didn't work.