Dak thinks he's in the best shape ever and

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Seems to me that Dak critics would welcome this, He looks trimmed down, he is moving well and feeling good. Not making any excuses for himself as he is getting ready for the season.
Dak critics are not going to welcome anything positive about him anymore than the Romorooters would about him. Winning a SB will not stop it.

They don't like him as the DC QB and they have a right to that. We can all dislike anyone we want for any reason we want.

Has anyone, ANYONE, here convinced any poster on the other side of the Prescott fence to come over to your side? Yet the war rages on.

Last edited:

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Dak critics are not going to welcome anything positive about him anymore than the Romorooters would about him. Winning a SB will not stop it.

They don't like him as the DC QB and they have a right to that. We can all dislike anyone we want for any reason we want.

Hs anyone, ANYONE, here convinced any poster on the other side of the Prescott fence to come over to your side? Yet the war rages on.
I'm considering joining the Dak haters, especially if he signs with Nike. :laugh:

Doomsday101

Reaction score

Hs anyone, ANYONE, here convinced any poster on the other side of the Prescott fence to come over to your side? Yet the war rages on.

Very true and was true for others like Danny White as well. I can honestly say I pulled for Cowboys teams with Romo behind center as much as I do for Dak and Danny White. I completely get that as QB he will take the brunt of it until or unless they win a SB. I guess what I don't get is the disdain that some have. I would think we all want the same thing which is a SB and for that to happen it will fall to Dak but it will fall to this entire teams to elevate their play to a level to be able to compete for a SB. We see a guy like Drew Brees career come to a close he has set many NFL all time records and will no doubt be a 1st ballot HOF'er yet has 1 SB to show for it and that was many years back. Fact is as great as Brees was it takes a team and frankly the saints as a team were not good enough. I think to many simplify this game as 1 person controls it all and yet that is so far from the reality of this game.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m sure Dak will have his best year, but...

“best shape of my life!” Is the most overused, irrelevant off-season topic we keep hearing over and over and over. Every single year should be your best shape, as you’ve been working toward it a year longer than you did before
I do agree that "best shape of my life" is overused, but your comment doesn't consider reality, and it's not even completely accurate.

First for the reality, which is that just because you could be working at it every year doesn't mean you are, or to the same degree, so a person's physical condition actually can be less in a succeeding year, therefore if a person truly does work hard enough to be in the best shape of his life that could be significant.

Second, there is a cap - a level that your body isn't capable of going beyond. In fact, in some situations there could be a point of diminishing returns. For example, the guy that lifts weights to the point that he simply cannot maintain the flexibility that would allow him to do certain things could be a hinderance. Or a guy that works to a point it causes his body to break down.

The circumstance where I hate seeing someone say they are in the best shape of their life is with an older person well beyond his youthful prime. Let's say a 55 year old guy who was very well conditioned and very successful athlete when he was younger. There may be certain areas he can work at that might be an improvement over his physical condition than when he was a 20 year old, but realistically his body simply cannot isn't capable of as much and has limitations his 20 year old body did not have. Of course, in most cases where you see this kind of comment it's someone trying to sell a product.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
It's fascinating to me that people think an injured athlete is in the best shape of his life immediately after the injury. He may be in better shape in the long run due to the new exercises added, but he's not right now.

IF he's truly in better shape right now, after having to rehab his leg so he can walk and run again like he used to, then I would have to question his past work ethic.

Why does it have to be his work ethic? Why can it simply not be that his training regimen changed and it has yielded better results? He missed out on 12 weeks of beating on his body playing football. So he is dealing with a lot less soreness and residual wear and tear on his body than in years past. Also Dak is going on 8 months since he was hurt. That's not really "immediately after the injury." What do you think he has been doing in that 8 month span that you feel he is worse shape somehow? It seems to me your concept of rehab workouts is extremely flawed.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Very true and was true for others like Danny White as well. I can honestly say I pulled for Cowboys teams with Romo behind center as much as I do for Dak and Danny White. I completely get that as QB he will take the brunt of it until or unless they win a SB. I guess what I don't get is the disdain that some have. I would think we all want the same thing which is a SB and for that to happen it will fall to Dak but it will fall to this entire teams to elevate their play to a level to be able to compete for a SB. We see a guy like Drew Brees career come to a close he has set many NFL all time records and will no doubt be a 1st ballot HOF'er yet has 1 SB to show for it and that was many years back. Fact is as great as Brees was it takes a team and frankly the saints as a team were not good enough. I think to many simplify this game as 1 person controls it all and yet that is so far from the reality of this game.
Easier to blame it on one face than many and the HC and QB always get the sword. They're the only two people that get the record attached to their name.

Some of the disdain for both Romo and Prescott is the lack of the pedigree, UDFA and 4th rounder. That's sacrilege for a team called America's Team. Some really do buy that this team is special, different and better than others to the point that a player automatically is better once he pouts that Star on.

I am on the other side of that with both these players because of what they had to overcome to even get the opportunity. Tell me you don't like this story.

Young man gets the QB1 job in high school because of an injury but he doesn't relinquish it. He gets a full ride to a FBS Power 5 college and gets the QB1 job because of an injury and doesn't relinquish it and even rises to Heisman contention. He enters the draft and even though the team that ends up picking him tries to get 2 other QBs ahead of him (who are not even in the league any longer), he ends up as their 3rd string QB. He's the 7th QB selected in the draft and probably in a re-draft would be the 1st one taken. This time it takes 2 injuries to get him into that QB1 spot that he does not relinquish and the former QB1 leaves the game and the #2 enters coaching.

This is the epitome of the feel good sports story. This isn't some Trevor Lawrence or Payton Manning destined for greatness with pro QB coaches when they're 12. This is a guy defying the odds to even make the team to end up leading it but there's only one problem with this story, it's the Dallas Cowboys. His story isn't liked any better than the QB he replaced who didn't even get drafted and only got invited to the Combine to work out TE's. Some expect more of their Dallas Cowboys team.

Doomser, I am not a X's and O's fan, I am drawn to the human aspect of sports, those that overcome obstacles and do not fulfill a destiny but create one. That's what sports are to me. It's Rocky for real.

I like the Romo story and I like the Prescott story and I like both men, they both had the same dream and took a strange path to get there. What a strange coincidence that their paths should intersect as they did. On the same team with the same QB polarization problem

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can only imagine what this would look like if the Zone existed when Meredith was the QB or the Morton-Staubach showdown or Danny White. I think Meredith would have set the tone for what we see today with Prescott and yesterday with Romo and oh, spare me the wailing on poor Danny White only getting the entitled Cowboys fans to 3 NFCCG's. Even though he is probably the best pure passer the team has ever had.

The only thing that keeps the Aikman hate at bay are the 3 rings and he was the #1 pick, deserving of being a Cowboy.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Why does it have to be his work ethic? Why can it simply not be that his training regimen changed and it has yielded better results? He missed out on 12 weeks of beating on his body playing football. So he is dealing with a lot less soreness and residual wear and tear on his body than in years past. Also Dak is going on 8 months since he was hurt. That's not really "immediately after the injury." What do you think he has been doing in that 8 month span that you feel he is worse shape somehow? It seems to me your concept of rehab workouts is extremely flawed.
First, let me say that I don't believe Dak has a bad work ethic, because I don't believe he's currently in the best shape ever, but I will explain why I said that if he is truly in the best shape of his life RIGHT NOW then I would question his past work ethic.

Because this is a guy that has been an athlete his whole life, played big time college football, and is now a star player for the most luxurious franchise in all of sports and you think that he's JUST NOW getting the opportunity to work with people that know what's best? How does a broken ankle change your training THAT much? An injury that causes you to have to rehab for months just to be able to move normal again and ends your season, to me, is worse then then normal wear and tear for a QB playing a whole season. So the "less wear and tear" thing I don't buy.

I believe Dak has been working hard, no doubt. But, this is a guy that couldn't walk without crutches, let along run around at football speed for a good amount of time. I do not believe for a second that Dak right now can move around the same way Dak a year ago could.

I believe he is giving everyone lip service. He is not in the best shape of his life. Dak has always been the "tell people what they want to hear" type. He always wants to say the right things.

Maybe he will eventually this season be in the best shape of his life, but right this moment I don't believe it. He will be able to prove me and everyone else that feels this was wrong though and I hope he does.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think every Cowboys fan should ask themselves this question, was he talking about me?

The he is Troy Aikman when asked if Dallas is a good sports town. His answer was one of the most insightful ones I ever heard from any athlete. He replied "Dallas is a good winner's town". Truer words were never spoken. The reason the Cowboys ruled Dallas and the Mavericks and Rangers didn't, was one was the winner.

He was talking about me up until around the 2000's when I realized those Cowboys days were far behind and I better either find myself another winner or accept my team as it is. I decided on the latter because laundry matters more than winning to me.

I changed after that, didn't get angry and try and break my Guinness Book Air Speed of a TV Remote record. I actually began to enjoy the actual game more when the outcome wasn't the main reason for watching. When I realized that my team didn't have to win to keep me, I even liked myself better and actually considered myself a loyal fan.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
First, let me say that I don't believe Dak has a bad work ethic, because I don't believe he's currently in the best shape ever, but I will explain why I said that if he is truly in the best shape of his life RIGHT NOW then I would question his past work ethic.

Because this is a guy that has been an athlete his whole life, played big time college football, and is now a star player for the most luxurious franchise in all of sports and you think that he's JUST NOW getting the opportunity to work with people that know what's best? How does a broken ankle change your training THAT much? An injury that causes you to have to rehab for months just to be able to move normal again and ends your season, to me, is worse then then normal wear and tear for a QB playing a whole season. So the "less wear and tear" thing I don't buy.

I believe Dak has been working hard, no doubt. But, this is a guy that couldn't walk without crutches, let along run around at football speed for a good amount of time. I do not believe for a second that Dak right now can move around the same way Dak a year ago could.

I believe he is giving everyone lip service. He is not in the best shape of his life. Dak has always been the "tell people what they want to hear" type. He always wants to say the right things.

Maybe he will eventually this season be in the best shape of his life, but right this moment I don't believe it. He will be able to prove me and everyone else that feels this was wrong though and I hope he does.

Were you one of those people who insisted Dak would never be the same, would not even be ready for training camp and was likely to open the season on PuP? You seem awfully invested in his recovery not going well. You are free to believe however you wish. If you truly believe that missing 11 games and all the practices for 12 weeks did not result in less wear and tear on his body then there really is nothing further to discuss. Playing in games and hours of practicing has no effect on the human body in your estimation. Guys never wake up the day after a game sore and beat all to hell.. Guys don't get hurt in games or in practice.. Nope.. never happens.. because football playing games and practicing football is no more physically taxing than going to the gym.. According to anonymous guy on the internet.

Sure..

P.S. You still did not answer the question. What do you think Dak was doing (or not doing) during his rehab that makes you believe it's just not possible that he could be in great shape right now?

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Were you one of those people who insisted Dak would never be the same, would not even be ready for training camp and was likely to open the season on PuP? You seem awfully invested in his recovery not going well. You are free to believe however you wish. If you truly believe that missing 11 games and all the practices for 12 weeks did not result in less wear and tear on his body then there really is nothing further to discuss. Playing in games and hours of practicing has no effect on the human body in your estimation. Guys never wake up the day after a game sore and beat all to hell.. Guys don't get hurt in games or in practice.. Nope.. never happens.. because football playing games and practicing football is no more physically taxing than going to the gym.. According to anonymous guy on the internet.

Sure..

P.S. You still did not answer the question. What do you think Dak was doing (or not doing) during his rehab that makes you believe it's just not possible that he could be in great shape right now?
See, now you're putting words in my mouth. I said and I quote "an injury that causes you to have to rehab for months just to be able to move normal again and ends your season, to me, is worse then then normal wear and tear for a QB playing a whole season." I never once said what you claim I said in your post.

If you want to disagree with me that's fine, but please do not twist things I say to fit your narrative.

As far as I'm concerned, you're right, we have nothing further to discuss because you're making things up and that's dishonest. That tells me all I need to know.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
See, now you're putting words in my mouth. I said and I quote "an injury that causes you to have to rehab for months just to be able to move normal again and ends your season, to me, is worse then then normal wear and tear for a QB playing a whole season." I never once said what you claim I said in your post.

If you want to disagree with me that's fine, but please do not twist things I say to fit your narrative.

As far as I'm concerned, you're right, we have nothing further to discuss because you're making things up and that's dishonest. That tells me all I need to know.
Dak lovers have me wondering why he even needed to miss time last year. Cast that ankle up and get out there, Superman.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Dak lovers have me wondering why he even needed to miss time last year. Cast that ankle up and get out there, Superman.

Dak is the one saying he feeling like he is the best shape, he has put in the work during his rehab on a very serious injury and according to everything out there he is ahead of schedule. Hell should make it easier for his critics, Dak is not laying out any excuse yet his critics seem to know more? amazing

RonnieT24

Reaction score

Your bolded statement is incorrect because the injury does not stop the rest of your body from being trained and conditioned while continuing to play absolutely continues the beat up on the rest of your body. I contend that the reason Dak feels better than he ever has after an offseason is because this is far and away the longest offseason his body has had since he was in Pop Warner. He has been playing into January since he left high school . If he had played all 16 games in 2020 that would have meant being slammed to the turf 15-20 times a game for 11 more games. It would have meant how many more blows to the head? How many more practices would he have had to throw 100 or more passes? How many more times would a defender and/or one of his linemen crashed into legs? Getting injured spared his body a thousand throws (wear and tear on his arm and shoulder), at least 15 more sacks and 30-40 more hits by the rush.. then 20-30 more tackles on runs.. The list goes on and on. On the flip side you have an injury to one part of the body which absolutely meant he had to do extra work on that part of the body. But the rest of the body took 12 weeks off that it would otherwise not have gotten. So the rest of the body got workouts, massages, treatments and what have you but took no punishment whatsoever. If you believe that had no positive impact on Dak's body and how he feels, more power to you.. but you're wrong. Period.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
wow, give him 60 million and he will get in even better shape and might even win one or two playoff games. That Dak he's a warrior, who knew it only took money to get him excited to play football. wow.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Dak is the one saying he feeling like he is the best shape, he has put in the work during his rehab on a very serious injury and according to everything out there he is ahead of schedule. Hell should make it easier for his critics, Dak is not laying out any excuse yet his critics seem to know more? amazing
Yeah and people can believe him if they want. To me, it's much more likely he's using a cliche while trying to send a positive message about his recovery.