Twitter: Dak: This is my home. I’m not leaving. I’m a Cowboy

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The current deal being "restrictive on the team" is your perception and not reality. You must not have been paying attention during the press conference when Jerry was asked about that.
Every deal is restrictive to some degree because every deal costs money and cap space, but my intention was not to suggest that Dak's new deal is harsh or all one sided.

I simply meant that the kind of "team friendly" deals that people talk about with Brady and Brees, for example, might be more possible once Dak has the big time bucks from this contract in the bank. Those guys didn't become as agreeable to those kinds of deals until they had big contracts under their belt.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Every deal is restrictive to some degree because every deal costs money and cap space, but my intention was not to suggest that Dak's new deal is harsh or all one sided.

I simply meant that the kind of "team friendly" deals that people talk about with Brady and Brees, for example, might be more possible once Dak has the big time bucks from this contract in the bank. Those guys didn't become as agreeable to those kinds of deals until they had big contracts under their belt.

Or until they did something significant, like winning a SB and actually earning their money.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score

Thanks for clarifying what you meant. I certainly hope you are right.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, that was a stupid post. If Zach Martin was not signed, the team would have not even won 8 games. Dak would have been buried in the turf time after time. Did Zach sign for the same coin as Dak? smh
And maybe if Dak wasn't franchised the team wouldn't have gone 8-8 either with whoever the alternative would have been.

In any case, the point wasn't that we should blame Martin, it was that it isn't just one player that has wins and losses. It's the team that has wins and losses.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Or until they did something significant, like winning a SB and actually earning their money.
Drew Brees didn't do that until his 9th season in the NFL. Besides, it's not reasonable to think they would have been willing to take less money than peers who haven't won Super Bowls if they hadn't already made big money from earlier contracts.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
And maybe if Dak wasn't franchised the team wouldn't have gone 8-8 either with whoever the alternative would have been.

In any case, the point wasn't that we should blame Martin, it was that it isn't just one player that has wins and losses. It's the team that has wins and losses.

I agree, and Dak is the team leader that handles the ball on every snap on offense. Don't talk about the defense just yet, they suck!

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Drew Brees didn't do that until his 9th season in the NFL. Besides, it's not reasonable to think they would have been willing to take less money than peers who haven't won Super Bowls if they hadn't already made big money from earlier contracts.

I don't care about the money. We will see if Dak can earn it.

jsb357

Reaction score
After the news broke, Watson posted an open letter to the Texans organization, his family and fans on Twitter.

“As a child growing up in Georgia, it was always my dream to play in the NFL. Today, I couldn’t be more honored and humbled to sign a long-term deal in Houston, the city that I’ve grown to love so much and now call my home.

That’s to Cal, Janice, the entire McNair family, Coach O’Brien, Jack Easterby and the whole Texans’ organization for helping to make my dream a reality. Special thank you to all my teammates, past and present, for believing in me and helping me grow as both a player and person.

I’m so grateful to my mom, who is and has always been my rock and showed me anything is possible. She instilled in me at an early age that no matter the circumstances and obstacles you must endure and keep going. Thank you to my brothers and sister who have seen the worst time and the best times with me and never lost hope. My entire family, coaches, friends and mentors who have supported me along the way – I wouldn’t be here without you.

Last, but certainly not least, thank you to the best fans in the NFL. I promise to do everything can to not only bring a championship to this great city but also leave a legacy of helping positively impact this community.”