Dak's next contract?

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That’s a good question !!

But I don’t believe at least at this point it makes any difference. Jerry is all in on Dak regardless. Much like he is with Garrett.

I think even Jerry know he's not winning anything without good QB play. He won a super bowl with Switzer, so he's been discounting the importance of a head coach since. Garret keeps his job bc Jerry likes him and his role is viewed as secondary.

If Dak puts up another 6 point game against philly and goes under 200 yards passing for half the season, Jerry just might go get another QB. He's expecting big things and he's running out of years.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
I think even Jerry know he's not winning anything without good QB play. He won a super bowl with Switzer, so he's been discounting the importance of a head coach since. Garret keeps his job bc Jerry likes him and his role is viewed as secondary.

If Dak puts up another 6 point game against philly and goes under 200 yards passing for half the season, Jerry just might go get another QB. He's expecting big things and he's running out of years.

Agree, even winning the big one with JJ team, distorted everything for old jerrah, with that he thinks anyone (even a bad coach) can win a SB. That is why he is still coaching the team after 8 years.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

I certainly hope your right about Dak .

I suspect he’ll do just enough to cement his future here and not make Jerry look a total fool for jumping the gun on booting Romo too soon.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Last season ended in December for us and the Super Bowl is over

This year is 2018
Contracts are generally done in the offseason. We are in the 2018 offseason (i.e. This year's offseason).

My girlfriend has PhD in linguistics so I asked her to review this topic.

She said your statement is not clear. For clarity you should either reference season instead of year or reference the actual year 2018 or 2019.

The fact that you used past tense "I thought" put an emphasis on the past as in this past season vs the upcoming season.

When she saw your statement without any context from me about it, she thought you were likely referring to after the 2017 season.

Sports contracts reference season for clarity.

You were not technically wrong but did not clearly communicate your thoughts.

I was not really wrong but should either have asked which season you were referencing or I could have stated your post was unclear and that Dak can't sign a contract until after his 3rd NFL season which will be in the 2019 offseason.

Bottom Line: Neither of us were wrong but both of us should have worded our post(s) more clearly.

KB1122

Reaction score
Garoppolo just signed the largest contract in the history of the NFL. How exactly does that happen? I get that he has potential but damn.

Because teams are desperate and foolish at that position. Not saying Garoppolo won't live up to it. He might. But it's very Scott Mitchell-y.

If you want to build a championship team, the rational way is to churn the quarterback position until you find an elite one. The problem is that for most coaches and GMs, while wanting to win championships is a priority, it's not as high of a priority as keeping your job and food on your family table for as long as possible. To do that, you just have to make the playoffs often enough. So having a pretty good quarterback is a better option.

So, in the end, somebody is going to line up to pay Kirk Cousins an obscene amount of money. Not because they really think he'll lead them to the Super Bowl, but because they think he might be able to save their jobs for one or two more years.

Last edited:

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Contracts are generally done in the offseason. We are in the 2018 offseason (i.e. This year's offseason).

My girlfriend has PhD in linguistics so I asked her to review this topic.

She said your statement is not clear. For clarity you should either reference season instead of year or reference the actual year 2018 or 2019.

The fact that you used past tense "I thought" put an emphasis on the past as in this past season vs the upcoming season.

When she saw your statement without any context from me about it, she thought you were likely referring to after the 2017 season.

Sports contracts reference season for clarity.

You were not technically wrong but did not clearly communicate your thoughts.

I was not really wrong but should either have asked which season you were referencing or I could have stated your post was unclear and that Dak can't sign a contract until after his 3rd NFL season which will be in the 2019 offseason.

Bottom Line: Neither of us were wrong but both of us should have worded our post(s) more clearly.
That is why I love you X...... we can go back and forth without the insults

You present a good case and back it up researched arguments..... well done

I figured that when I added the line "get his money a year early" that would be enough of a clarification for those in the know

My use of 'thought" was pre and post Jimmy GQ getting his deal....... now I find it unlikely Dak gives any kind of discount

Keep up the good work and you are still wrong................... about Dez

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score
This is a ridiculous thread due to being extremely premature. Dak has a couple more years to show what he is/isn't. There is absolutely no reason to even think about his contract at this point. Why even bring this up?

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is a ridiculous thread due to being extremely premature. Dak has a couple more years to show what he is/isn't. There is absolutely no reason to even think about his contract at this point. Why even bring this up?

Welcome to the offseason , ksk. :laugh:

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score

I think he only gets one more year

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
He gets 2018 and 19 with his Rookie contract.
I get that what i meant is i believe the team will decide what they are doing with him after next season. They will know what they have in Dak after 3 seasons as the teams QB and we will all know what Dak is about too

Last edited:

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
I hope your right but it would have to be worse than this year for Jerry to admit he made a huge mistake. And I’m not sure that would be enough.
I don't know if he would have to play worse but if he doesn't at least improve then i believe they will come to the decision that he won't get any better. After 3 years in the NFL you are what you are, that doesn't mean they won't stick with him thru his 4 year on his deal (it's cheap for a starting QB) but i think they would be pursuing his replacement behind the scenes