Dak's Stats Last Season vs. Romo's 2012 Season (Both Contract Years)

nhcowboysfan

Reaction score
Cowboys were 21st in defensive ranking that year and Demarco Murray the leading rusher didn’t crack 700 yards. There were three pro bowlers on the team: Witten, Ware, and Spencer.
And they were led by Garrett, arguably the worst NFL coach in the last decade. But don't mention that other phases of the game actually determine the outcomes of wins and losses. We keep hearing how elite QBs win games by themselves. It only Romo had been elite, he wouldn't have needed the other 10 players on offense to beat the 11 guys on opposing defenses.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Cowboys were 21st in defensive ranking that year and Demarco Murray the leading rusher didn’t crack 700 yards. There were three pro bowlers on the team: Witten, Ware, and Spencer.
3 Pro Bowlers on the entire 2012 roster

Vs 3 All Pros on the 2023 offensive line (9 total)

2012 o line featured Nate Livings, Ryan Cook and MacKenzie Bernadeau

Dakota wouldn't sniff 8-8 with that 2012 roster. For most (not all, but most) of his career Romo carried **** teams

Dak is the weak link on very solid teams.

Apples and oranges

The Church of Dak crowd is hilarious

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And they were led by Garrett, arguably the worst NFL coach in the last decade. But don't mention that other phases of the game actually determine the outcomes of wins and losses. We keep hearing how elite QBs win games by themselves. It only Romo had been elite, he wouldn't have needed the other 10 players on offense to beat the 11 guys on opposing defenses.
Maybe not "elite"...not sure there are many claiming that BUT:

He has become the franchise's career leader in passing yards (34,183) and touchdown passes (248).

His 248 passing touchdowns are the ninth-most in NFL history among quarterbacks who played their entire career with one team.

Romo ranks third in quarterback wins in Cowboys history with 78, trailing Troy Aikman (94) and Roger Staubach (85).

Romo has a career passer rating of 97.1, which is the fourth-best in NFL history (minimum 1,000 pass attempts), trailing only Aaron Rodgers (104.1), Russell Wilson (99.6) and Tom Brady (97.2).

Romo was signed an undrafted free agent. He ranks fourth in passing yards, third in touchdown passes and fourth in starts among undrafted players since 1970, according to Elias Sports Bureau research.

Though Romo had an impressive regular-season career, his 248 passing touchdowns and 34,183 passing yards rank second and fourth, respectively, among players never to play in a conference championship game, according to Elias.

In the 2014 season, the last one in which he played the majority of his team's games, Romo was among the league's most efficient passers. He led the NFL in Total QBR at 81.6, his career best (not including his six snaps in 2016), and completion percentage (69.9 percent), best in a season in Cowboys history. He also led the NFL in passer rating (113.2) and yards per attempt (8.52) and was second in touchdown-to-interception ratio (3.8) among qualified quarterbacks that season.
From 2006-14, Romo led 27 game-winning drives in the fourth quarter and overtime. That is the most in the NFL over that span, one more than Peyton Manning and Matt Ryan.

Seventy-five of Romo's 248 career touchdown passes came in the fourth quarter. That's three more fourth-quarter touchdown passes than Staubach and Aikman had combined.

From 2006-15, Romo completed 65 percent of his passes and averaged 8.4 yards per attempt in the fourth quarter, which is the best of any of the 36 passers with 500 action plays in the fourth quarter in that span. His yards-per-attempt average in the final quarter of games was over a third of a yard better than anyone else in the NFL during that span

That's pretty darn good. Good enough to win super bowls.

Source: https://www.espn.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/130843/where-tony-romo-stacks-up-all-time

nhcowboysfan

Reaction score
Maybe not "elite"...not sure there are many claiming that BUT:

He has become the franchise's career leader in passing yards (34,183) and touchdown passes (248).

His 248 passing touchdowns are the ninth-most in NFL history among quarterbacks who played their entire career with one team.

Romo ranks third in quarterback wins in Cowboys history with 78, trailing Troy Aikman (94) and Roger Staubach (85).

Romo has a career passer rating of 97.1, which is the fourth-best in NFL history (minimum 1,000 pass attempts), trailing only Aaron Rodgers (104.1), Russell Wilson (99.6) and Tom Brady (97.2).

Romo was signed an undrafted free agent. He ranks fourth in passing yards, third in touchdown passes and fourth in starts among undrafted players since 1970, according to Elias Sports Bureau research.

Though Romo had an impressive regular-season career, his 248 passing touchdowns and 34,183 passing yards rank second and fourth, respectively, among players never to play in a conference championship game, according to Elias.

In the 2014 season, the last one in which he played the majority of his team's games, Romo was among the league's most efficient passers. He led the NFL in Total QBR at 81.6, his career best (not including his six snaps in 2016), and completion percentage (69.9 percent), best in a season in Cowboys history. He also led the NFL in passer rating (113.2) and yards per attempt (8.52) and was second in touchdown-to-interception ratio (3.8) among qualified quarterbacks that season.
From 2006-14, Romo led 27 game-winning drives in the fourth quarter and overtime. That is the most in the NFL over that span, one more than Peyton Manning and Matt Ryan.

Seventy-five of Romo's 248 career touchdown passes came in the fourth quarter. That's three more fourth-quarter touchdown passes than Staubach and Aikman had combined.

From 2006-15, Romo completed 65 percent of his passes and averaged 8.4 yards per attempt in the fourth quarter, which is the best of any of the 36 passers with 500 action plays in the fourth quarter in that span. His yards-per-attempt average in the final quarter of games was over a third of a yard better than anyone else in the NFL during that span

That's pretty darn good. Good enough to win super bowls.

Source: https://www.espn.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/130843/where-tony-romo-stacks-up-all-time
I'm not quite sure if your post is in agreement or disagreement with me. As you state, Romo's stats are pretty darn good; good enough to win Super Bowls, to which I agree... if the had a better coach and better team surrounding him.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Just find out where Dak is staying and serenade him outside the window.
57c473fd-a313-4517-8125-c8b617c89f43_text.gif

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Things clicked big time for Romo around 2013. I think he even said so himself.

I can't find the source, but I'm going to repeat this story anyway. Around that time, he told Jason Garrett that "3rd down is my down", and just started calling his own plays there. Totally ignored the clapping carrot.

Anyway, Romo was a legit MVP, Super Bowl caliber quarterback by the end of his career. He was playing like the best Cowboys quarterback since Aikman, and maybe even better. He just physically could not stay on the field.

Dak hasn't been bad, but he has never shown the same level of high-end ability as Romo. If you paired Dak's early career, LB-esque athleticism with his current mental mastery of the game, then you might have something special. But he really only perfected his technique and command of the offense at the time that injuries started physically sapping him.

Peak Romo was straight-up smarter than his own offensive staff, and also still had all of his Favre-ian improvisational ability. He was going places. I'd compare him to Joe Burrow today - very similar styles and ability. Dak started off like a Donovan McNabb - sort of a thick, strong, inaccurate gamer - and aged or developed into a Kirk Cousins type maxed-out technician.
Good thing for stats. One can make accurate comparisons.

https://stathead.com/football/vs/dak-prescott-vs-tony-romo

Looks like Dak has slightly better numbers than Romo.

pansophy

Reaction score
If Dak had a SB ring 98% of his “haters” disappear.

Yes. His playoff failures are his biggest issue.
I think it’s hard to change someone’s initial assessment of a guy. Romo’s history followed him his whole career and so has Dak’s. Dak had bad mechanics coming into the league and couldn’t really pass outside the numbers his first few seasons. Over the last several years he has dramatically improved his throwing motion and footwork. He’s not the same passer he was coming into the league, but because of the lack playoff success people still see him as a subpar QB.

To me after playoff failures for 25 years, believing our problems rest on the shoulders of one player is a mistake.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
I think it’s hard to change someone’s initial assessment of a guy. Romo’s history followed him his whole career and so has Dak’s. Dak had bad mechanics coming into the league and couldn’t really pass outside the numbers his first few seasons. Over the last several years he has dramatically improved his throwing motion and footwork. He’s not the same passer he was coming into the league, but because of the lack playoff success people still see him as a subpar QB.

To me after playoff failures for 25 years, believing our problems rest on the shoulders of one player is a mistake.
I am not pinning the failures of the last 25+ years on him.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Exactly right. Nailed it
They bring up Romo because they are very insecure about their love of Dak. They pretend they are cool with the way Dak plays, but when they post stuff about Romo to try and justify the stink that Dak displays, they must take it out on someone else, in this case, Romo who has been gone for years. There is no other reason to even mention Romo.

Another reason they bring Romo up is because they wish Dak could be half the QB that Romo was. You want to know that what I posted is real, wait for the responses to this post and the posters that respond and you will find the clues to their thinking about inserting Romo into their love fest over the Dak.

You can spot them a mile away.