News: Dallas Cowboys have unprecedented depth in the trenches

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Once again, another poster that is still living in fear because of the environment that the freckled puppet created! You do realize we don't need pro bowlers at every position to win right? We have a stable of competent guys to play opposite of dlaw. I think we should be more worried that the coaching changes will know what to do with our plauers or how to put them in the position to win!

Big Mike needs at least a full season to get things sorted out.

It's reasonable to expect improvement with the new coaching staff, not a cure-all.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is just more of the same excuse making from fans that always defend what this front office does, even after failure after failure.

You have a clear hole at RDE. The draft is over and you didn't add anyone of note at DE. So explain to me why signing a guy like Griffen or Golden, on what would likely be a one year deal is somehow detrimental to the team for 2020? Signing Griffen gives you a better player for this season, when you have a team that is pretty good and can win some games and it also doesn't tie you long term to him......... meaning, next offseason, you can dabble in FA again or focus on DE in the draft.

You aren't making much sense because you are tacking on things like long term obligations and large money to a situation that would require neither.

He's clearly struggling and needs to quit while he's behind. Just digging that hole deeper.

Sydla

Reaction score
You should have replied to me so I noticed this earlier.

First, he said this:

"Crawford wound up appearing in just for games last season – the first two, and then the losses to Green Bay and the New York Jets after a two-week break. He managed a sack in the season opener, but he finished the season with just three tackles."

This is false. Crawford's lone sack for the season came in week two vs the Commanders.

He then goes on to say this:

"He has found some success since the Cowboys moved him out to defensive end during the 2016 season. In 2018, he finished with 34 tackles, 5.5 sacks and 12 quarterback hits, primarily from the right end position."

This is a false representation of the statistics. If he wants to mention Crawford's sacks and hits, he needs to also mention where they actually came from, he says 'primarily the right end position' which is also false. The sacks came when Crawford lined up inside, with most being the result of stunts that freed him up to be unblocked.

And this is why the Cowboys media people continue to talk about Crawford being an option at RDE, because they themselves don't even know the facts.

I figured.

I've seen this floated a lot about his decent sack numbers and QB hit numbers but someone on twitter did an analysis and the majority of his QB pressures came from inside and on stunts and not from simply rushing from the edge and trying to beat the OT.

He's not a RDE and nothing fans here or Helman can say changes that.

Big_D

Reaction score
Poor effort.

giphy.gif

I think Jerry gets that F. His entire crap ‘GM’ career has been spent chasing DEs. A little weird actually since it never worked. lol this team has plenty of holes and a coach here to finally fix them. I have no doubt it’ll be addressed.

CCBoy

Reaction score
So, do tell us all...if the linebackers, now back up to speed, will again be a dominant force on the defense. There is size and rotation strength in the defensive line. The group of linemen should be strong against the run, and keep much of the linebacker movements clean. As a group, these linebackers are very fast...and Sean Lee came on much stronger at the conclusion of last season.

This group, coupled with the progress in the secondary, should be better than pass defense the previous season.

Myself, I'm not crying about what will be answering the first whistle on the Dallas defensive line. I'm not buying the hype of all is pure gloom and stupidity.

There will be a lot of veteran pride as well as aggression that opponents will need to contend with, this season.

Sorry, I'm also not looking for drama and next year's draft to bring another Demarcus Ware onto the scene. This defense will be more than adequate to match with an offense scoring around the 30 points per game mark.

Actually, this defense will have a pressure advantage to take advantage with, as well. Trying to score 30 points their selves, will be tough against this group.

Naw, I'm not buying that they are little more than Hillbillies brought in by a bunch of fools. Take that part, as one will...

MyFairLady

Reaction score
We have a stable of competent guys to play opposite of dlaw.
Honestly man this is a crazy statement. There are better odds that Smith and Gregory are all inactive on game day than productive players. Not sure what other JAGS we can trot out there but there is definitely no stable of competent guys.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I figured.

I've seen this floated a lot about his decent sack numbers and QB hit numbers but someone on twitter did an analysis and the majority of his QB pressures came from inside and on stunts and not from simply rushing from the edge and trying to beat the OT.

He's not a RDE and nothing fans here or Helman can say changes that.

But it continues to both baffle and amaze just how many either don't know or choose to ignore that truth.

And it's not 'hate on the player' the way some emotional fans would choose to categorize any criticisms. It's a disservice to both player and the team trying to shoehorn him into a position he isn't and never was suited for. Crawford is a 3-4 DE who has been miscast anywhere and everywhere else since the team transitioned to the 4-3 defense. That's the truth of things.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Let's see:
  1. "stud"
  2. "coward"
  3. Pinocchio
And yet you'll actually try to project "insult" on the other party. Like I said, a total lack of self awareness. You continue to prove me right at every turn.

Sure, have your radio 'tell you what to think' as well, saves your brain the effort.

Because that's what any criticism is to you and your small mind. Some sort of an attack. That's all your limited scope is capable of seeing.

I have 'discussed', as have many others. You're simply too blinded to see it and would rather waste everyone's time on yet another tantrum. Show some self awareness and your own faults for how this conversation got here. And how you're the guy in fact doing the 'insulting'.

Sorry, guy, you speak with a forked tongue. I'm not going to just listen to you insulting and ignoring actual points of consideration. I won't continue listening to your insults...bring up a debate at least, or keep your non humbling attitude to yourself. I'm not buying your insult...a discussion basicly framed by three people.

Couldn't answer a single question as to talent, perspective, or players...so stick to your agenda and motives. I'm not buying a continual song and dance of the Cowboys are ignorant and unable to match or patch an acceptable team. You are insulting and wrong here.

No, these same coaches and team accumulated this and previous season, are predicted to win 10 or more wins and to challenge top teams.

That is by most media and sports shows available. That includes Sirius...sorry, I'm not over whelmed with yapping coming back my direction.

You know what, guy, that is MY right and I don't have to apologize for doing just that.

If your opinion is different, that is on you...I have the right to my opinion.

Now accept the challenge of a signature bet, or move on...as to descriptions, they were exactly what you were doing previously. No need for further descriptions now.

I posted a valid OP, and you came in moaning and groaning and then insulted the OP. Not my work, but realistic...and you haven't proven other wise, and the changes up to now, have all been complimented. Explain why that is...

Don't even attempt all is gloom and stupid, and Jerry this or that. Change has occurred. But I'm still expecting a strong season. You?

Last edited:

Sydla

Reaction score
Sorry, guy, you speak with a forked tongue. I'm not going to just listen to you insulting and ignoring actual points of consideration. I won't continue listening to your insults...bring up a debate at least, or keep your non humbling attitude to yourself. I'm not buying your insult...a discussion basicly framed by three people.

Couldn't answer a single question as to talent, perspective, or players...so stick to your agenda and motives. I'm not buying a continual song and dance of the Cowboys are ignorant and unable to match or patch an acceptable team. You are insulting and blind here.

No, these same coaches and team accumulated this and previous season, are predicted to win 10 or more wins and to challenge top teams.

That is by most media and sports shows available. That includes Sirius...sorry, I'm not over whelmed with yapping coming back my direction.

You know what, guy, that is MY right and I don't have to apologize for doing just that.

If your opinion is different, that is on you...

Now accept the challenge of a signature bet, or move on...

The most ironic comment in this entire thread.

And people have answered your questions and laid out cases and you ignore them and go back to accusing them of not addressing your points.

This is how most of your threads go. You say something, often definitively. You get questioned. You claim they need to address your points. They do. You don't like the answer so you claim they are ignoring your questions and points, when in fact, they have not.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Frankly, if anyone ignores points and facts it's you.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Listen to yourself, you're delusional. You'll use name-calling against someone else all day and then blame them. Get checked!

Couldn't answer a single question as to talent, perspective, or players...so stick to your agenda and motives. I'm not buying a continual song and dance of the Cowboys are ignorant and unable to match or patch an acceptable team. You are insulting and blind here.

Pot meet kettle.

Which has nothing to do with this specific conversation regarding the defensive line. Congratulations for once again being completely and totally off base.

If your opinion is different, that is on you...

Now accept the challenge of a signature bet, or move on...

I'm not "moving" anywhere. Go back and read my first post responding to your ridiculous and totally unrelated 'sig bet'. I stated that this was a 10-win team months ago. But I'll tell you yet again - maybe it will register after the 10th time - that has nothing to do with what is a clear question mark at RDE. My confidence comes despite that, not because of it. Unlike you, I have the intellectual capacity to realize that the two subjects are not irrevocably intertwined or connected.

And what you don't have the right to do is insult and name-calling and ignorantly trying to blame anyone else for it.

Big_D

Reaction score
This is just more of the same excuse making from fans that always defend what this front office does, even after failure after failure.

You have a clear hole at RDE. The draft is over and you didn't add anyone of note at DE. So explain to me why signing a guy like Griffen or Golden, on what would likely be a one year deal is somehow detrimental to the team for 2020? Signing Griffen gives you a better player for this season, when you have a team that is pretty good and can win some games and it also doesn't tie you long term to him......... meaning, next offseason, you can dabble in FA again or focus on DE in the draft.

You aren't making much sense because you are tacking on things like long term obligations and large money to a situation that would require neither.

And you talk like these additions are the difference which they’re not, because they have a variety of issues and a coach who needs to evaluate a large roster over more than a 3 month period. You mention a clear hole at RDE but you really have no idea since it’s completely predicated in the previous scheme, talent level and the crappiest of coaching that failed to net any quality results whatsoever! How do the additions of the new DTs, a better rotation up front, the changes at LB and the overall scheme change effect the front 7? I have no doubt they’ll be better and it won’t be too difficult to pull off.

and I haven’t defended this front office for 2 decades. The nepotism is finally a thing of the past. I see a real coach and a much better situation. Where I hade zero hope or confidence in the coaching before, it exists now and for good reason.

CCBoy

Reaction score

And people have answered your questions and laid out cases and you ignore them and go back to accusing them of not addressing your points.

This is how most of your threads go. You say something, often definitively. You get questioned. You claim they need to address your points. They do. You don't like the answer so you claim they are ignoring your questions and points, when in fact, they have not.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

You ignore points of contention and keep on the negative vein...try reading the contentions, in contrast to your beliefs. Naw, insult doesn't cover that.

I'm not buying stupid selections for players, Jerry anything, or that this team is headed to failure because of Smith or Gregory included in current plans. I'm not upset that is the current status...now, carry on.

Sydla

Reaction score
And you talk like these additions are the difference which they’re not, because they have a variety of issues and a coach who needs to evaluate a large roster over more than a 3 month period. You mention a clear hole at RDE but you really have no idea since it’s completely predicated in the previous scheme, talent level and the crappiest of coaching that failed to net any quality results whatsoever! How do the additions of the new DTs, a better rotation up front, the changes at LB and the overall scheme change effect the front 7? I have no doubt they’ll be better and it won’t be too difficult to pull off.

and I haven’t defended this front office for 2 decades. The nepotism is finally a thing of the past. I see a real coach and a much better situation. Where I hade zero hope or confidence in the coaching before, it exists now and for good reason.

Actually Griffen would likely make a difference. He's arguably as good as Lawrence and putting him opposite Lawrence with Poe and McCoy in the middle makes this a very good DL that can control OLs.

New scheme or not, there's a clear hole at RDE. I am not sure why some of you are afraid to just admit that.

I mean using the logic you are throwing out here, why did we even bother to sign McCoy or Poe? Just go with Hill and Woods and whatever we could draft.

Adreme

Reaction score
You do not need Pro Bowlers at every position, but you do need to not be terrible at any position, especially on defense. That has always been the Cowboys biggest weakness. They find these great players who can build around, but they cannot find the generic starters in the draft who just hold up the fort. Not every person has to be a playmaker, but they need to not be a scrub.

Sydla

Reaction score
You ignore points of contention and keep on the negative vein...try reading the contentions, in contrast to your beliefs. Naw, insult doesn't cover that.

I'm not buying stupid selections for players, Jerry anything, or that this team is headed to failure because of Smith or Gregory included in current plans. I'm not upset that is the current status...now, carry on.

This doesn't even make any sense, nor does it address the points being made.

No one said this team is headed for failure because of Smith or Gregory. What they have said is that this is a good roster that has a couple of clear holes and that there are options out there in FA that could fill those holes and give them a better chance to be even more successful in 2020.

You love to make things far more complicated than they have to be.

I'll go one step further. If they bring in Griffen, I think this is a legitimate SB contending team (assuming coaching is fine). Griffen would give them a significant upgrade in the pass rush department and could help compensate for the secondary losing their best player in FA.

Last edited:

CCBoy

Reaction score
Listen to yourself, you're delusional. You'll use name-calling against someone else all day and then blame them. Get checked!

Pot meet kettle.

Which has nothing to do with this specific conversation regarding the defensive line. Congratulations for once again being completely and totally off base.

I'm not "moving" anywhere. Go back and read my first post responding to your ridiculous and totally unrelated 'sig bet'. I stated that this was a 10-win team months ago. But I'll tell you yet again - maybe it will register after the 10th time - that has nothing to do with what is a clear question mark at RDE. My confidence comes despite that, not because of it. Unlike you, I have the intellectual capacity to realize that the two subjects are not irrevocably intertwined or connected.

And what you don't have the right to do is insult and name-calling and ignorantly trying to blame anyone else for it.

Woo hoo, then why is it YOU crying about the Cowboys...? Try getting stories straight and leave the smart insults out of your talk.

Intellectual capacity...don't even go there. You have no clue. But carry on...I don't buy YOU, as a person. So?

You have a right to opinion and to state your view, don't over step YOUR privileges...That is straight up.

CCBoy

Reaction score
This doesn't even make any sense, nor does it address the points being made.

No one said this team is headed for failure because of Smith or Gregory. What they have said is that this is a good roster that has a couple of clear holes and that there are options out there in FA that could fill those holes and give them a better chance to be even more successful in 2020.

You love to make things far more complicated than they have to be.
Then do tell, what is your argument on topic?

That started with the OP that there is a lot more and better depth in both line groups...

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Woo hoo, then why is it YOU crying about the Cowboys...? Try getting stories straight and leave the smart insults out of your talk.

You first. Show the ability yourself before you talk about anyone else.

Intellectual capacity...don't even go there. You have no clue. But carry on...I don't buy YOU, as a person. So?

You have a right to opinion and to state your view, don't over step YOUR privileges...That is straight up.

Practice what you preach. Don't post articles and then take it personally and get your panties in a bunch when people disagree with them.

Maybe you'll get less timeouts that way?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Indicative of mental health issues.

Sydla

Reaction score
Then do tell, what is your argument on topic?

That started with the OP that there is a lot more and better depth in both line groups...

My argument is simple. The article you posted talked about unprecedented depth along the OL and DL.

I don't believe that's the case along the DL. DT seems better than we have had in the past but there is a clear hole at the starting RDE spot so it's hard to claim this is unprecedented DL depth when you don't have a legitimate, proven RDE starter but what you do have is a bunch of late round picks, two reclamation projects that haven't even been reinstated yet and a guy in Crawford who isn't a RDE.

Normally, you'd be kind of hosed at this point in the offseason to bring in legitimate talent at the RDE spot but there are a couple of guys out there in FA that could improve your situation. Griffen being the best example of a guy who would immediately be the best RDE on the roster, likely wouldn't cost a ton and wouldn't hurt your cap in future years. It also allows you to still bring along the younger players and if one or two succeed, great. It also helps mitigate risk in the situation where Smith being out of football for nearly 5 seasons manifests itself in the reality that he's just not going to be close to the same player he was in 2011-2013.