Dallas Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant sued by state Sen. Royce West

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
LOL. No offense, but you are clueless here.

Here's a suggestion. Walk into a Home Depot and price out their Glidden paint for a gallon of gray paint. Then find your local Benjamin Moore or Sherwin Williams paint store and price out a gallon of gray paint there.

Drywall is fairly stable in terms of price regardless of where you buy it. But the labor involved with hanging, taping, mudding, and prepping the walls for paint or wallpaper can vary significantly.

Carpeting has a wide price range. But it can get pricey. And if there is water damage to the carpet, there's a decent chance the subfloor could have damage. No idea if this house has a basement or not but you could be talking about replacing not only padding and carpet, but possibly the subfloor.

So I have no idea what the actual cost of the damage here is but the notion that it's impossible there could be $60K of damages could be inaccurate.

i went into home depot the other day as i needed some base white paint for doors and touch up work. i picked up gliddon, the most expensive one they had, and the sales dude said "uh, that's constructor grade paint - probably not what you want in your home..." and directed me to baer. on sale, it's $30 a gallon.

flooring - i went "economy" recently and put down laminate floors in my house. for 1200 square feet it was $6200 installed. i also put up blinds and i also went "cheap" but tried to do the best i could for the purpose. 4 windows and a door was around $1k for fake wooden 2" blinds.

painting the inside of my house, a total of 1900' in size so not this much to paint - would be around $3k to hire out. windows? not even gonna go there cause now we're talking some money.

so - figure a house of this quality will have better than what i did, i'm into it for around $11k given the size of the home is 3x+ more than mine, we're close to $35k on "going economy" prices in comparison for what i just went through.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Jmo..I don't think he really lived there. With all the folks he's had in/out of his life. Odds are that wasn't his primary residence. Not with a significant other and three small children. And if you've ever seen any of Dez instagrams or even his girlfriend's pics, the house never looked like what I see this house looks like.

Having said that, his name is on the lease, so he's gonna have to cut a check of some kind. Maybe not the full $60k, but he's cutting a check.

Edit: Just looking at pics and re-reading.. He re-did the alarm system and I'd hazard a guess had to upgrade the electrical. Odds are that's where the big number came from.

he lived there.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
The most expensive thing is....Your gonna have to hire someone to fix everything. Labor costs aren't cheap.:rolleyes:

Honestly...I wouldn't want a guy on my team that let things get like this in his house. People may not want to hear it...but the faster we cut Dez loose...the better.:cool:

Maybe some Cowboys fans in the Metroplex could do some of the work....

In exchange for some autographed jerseys......:rolleyes:

cowboys2233

Reaction score
Could it also be that some other people used (squatters, teenagers partying, etc.) it after Dez was done with the lease? It has happened a couple of times where I have lived. In fact there was a house for sale and no one was living in it. So some teenage kids broke in and threw a party.

:facepalm:

Sydla

Reaction score
i went into home depot the other day as i needed some base white paint for doors and touch up work. i picked up gliddon, the most expensive one they had, and the sales dude said "uh, that's constructor grade paint - probably not what you want in your home..." and directed me to baer. on sale, it's $30 a gallon.

flooring - i went "economy" recently and put down laminate floors in my house. for 1200 square feet it was $6200 installed. i also put up blinds and i also went "cheap" but tried to do the best i could for the purpose. 4 windows and a door was around $1k for fake wooden 2" blinds.

painting the inside of my house, a total of 1900' in size so not this much to paint - would be around $3k to hire out. windows? not even gonna go there cause now we're talking some money.

so - figure a house of this quality will have better than what i did, i'm into it for around $11k given the size of the home is 3x+ more than mine, we're close to $35k on "going economy" prices in comparison for what i just went through.

So doing your math, $35K for contractor grade materials.............. upgrades to better materials could be another $5-10K. If there is damage to things under the carpet like the subfloor, that could range anywhere from another $3000-7K based on the extent of the damage. You didn't replace windows so throw in another $800-1000 per window busted.

So while I suspect $61K asked for is overstated as one would expect in a lawsuit, people thinking this is no big deal and just a few hundred bucks worth of paint and carpet replacement are being woefully ignorant.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Tom Landry wouldn't have put up w/ this. He ran Hollywood Henderson off...and I imagine he would have done the same w/ Dez.:rolleyes:

Bull ....... Landry only ran Henderson off when his skills started to decline,before that he helped hide all this like everyone else.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Just a FYI but I wouldn't use those shows as proof of what renovations cost. There are a lot of articles out there from experts saying those expenses are way undercharged. You'd be hard pressed to completely gut and renovate an entire kitchen for $15K in Cali but somehow, on Flip or Flop, they do it.

You'd be surprised how much new carpet, any damage to walls, clean up, repainting, maybe even some floor repair would cost. For example, we bought a house that had a cat in it previously. Cat had peed all over the floor constantly in one room upstairs. It wasn't just the carpet that was ruined. Contractor had to rip the carpet up, then also replace the sub floor in the room because the pee had gone through the carpet and damaged the subfloor.

My father owns a tile/carpet showroom, I am well aware of the costs and 60k for the pictures he showed is outrageous......looks like basic berber carpet, a coat of paint and some deep cleaning plus a window or 2....if a company charged 1k to thoroughly clean the place they made out

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
My perspective...

It's disappointing that Dez decided to just cut and run from the house. It shows a lack of character to just run from a mess and not own up to it. He could have hired a contractor to get the place back in top shape for a fraction of what his landlord is claiming it cost...to try and give him the benefit of the doubt I will assume he was prepared to pay for the damages and maybe got into a dispute over the true cost of the damages. I am hoping it is a fight over principle and not a lack of character trying to stick someone else with his mess...

Bases on Dez doing other good deads and not seeming to be a greedy person I will assume it's more about a dispute over the cost to repair.

There is always more to the story....it sounds like things went South real quick with West.....he went from his lawyer and mentor to suing him.....to me it looks like Dez may have been sending a message.....he was paying 5k a month in rent which seems high for that property, almost 60k a year...

Dez obviously has the money to pay for the actual damages and to buy his own neighborhood of homes, so this looks personal.....

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
It's not about a guy making a mess. It's about lifestyle...and how it reflects upon the team. Place looks like it's owned by a crackhead. The further the team distances itself from that mess...the better. How anyone can condone this ...is beyond me. It just goes to show how low the bar has been set as to what is acceptable in Big D now days. Tom Landry wouldn't have put up w/ this. He ran Hollywood Henderson off...and I imagine he would have done the same w/ Dez.:rolleyes:

"Look at me, I said something crazy.......really I did....come and see"

Sydla

Reaction score
There is always more to the story....it sounds like things went South real quick with West.....he went from his lawyer and mentor to suing him.....to me it looks like Dez may have been sending a message.....he was paying 5k a month in rent which seems high for that property, almost 60k a year...

Dez obviously has the money to pay for the actual damages and to buy his own neighborhood of homes, so this looks personal.....

Dez has been sued before for failure to pay even when he had or could get the money. He settled (rumored payment of over $400K) to that jeweler and ticket broker for loans and jewelry.

So just because Bryant has money and can pay for things doesn't necessarily mean this is just a personal vendetta. It easily could be that Bryant is just irresponsible. In the end, he won't pay $60K for the damages to this house........... he and the senator will settle out of court, but Bryant won't be paying a few hundred bucks for cleaning either.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
This is why this team will never amount to anything with idiot players like this. It never ends with this team as there is always an issue be it illegal drugs, abuse, Stealing, missing practices etc etc... Really getting tired of this team after 44 years.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
My father owns a tile/carpet showroom, I am well aware of the costs and 60k for the pictures he showed is outrageous......looks like basic berber carpet, a coat of paint and some deep cleaning plus a window or 2....if a company charged 1k to thoroughly clean the place they made out

:facepalm:

rynochop

Reaction score
I know one thing, other NFC east fan bases are having a field day with this.

I doubt everyone would be so 'oh, big deal' if this was Odell Beckams house. Although, he'd probably leave it cleaner than he found it if some rumors are true, not that there's anything wrong with that

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Dez has been sued before for failure to pay even when he had or could get the money. He settled (rumored payment of over $400K) to that jeweler and ticket broker for loans and jewelry.

So just because Bryant has money and can pay for things doesn't necessarily mean this is just a personal vendetta. It easily could be that Bryant is just irresponsible. In the end, he won't pay $60K for the damages to this house........... he and the senator will settle out of court, but Bryant won't be paying a few hundred bucks for cleaning either.

Lol, exactly.

How dare this guy (West) go into a landlord/tenant and ask this amount of rent for which Dez agreed to pay!

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
So doing your math, $35K for contractor grade materials.............. upgrades to better materials could be another $5-10K. If there is damage to things under the carpet like the subfloor, that could range anywhere from another $3000-7K based on the extent of the damage. You didn't replace windows so throw in another $800-1000 per window busted.

So while I suspect $61K asked for is overstated as one would expect in a lawsuit, people thinking this is no big deal and just a few hundred bucks worth of paint and carpet replacement are being woefully ignorant.

upgrades could double the cost of the flooring easily. if i used this places "real wood" floors, my cost would have doubled. so, $13k for 1300 feet, or roughly $10 a sqft installed. no idea on what is carpeting vs. wood vs. the rest - but people saying this isn't much? how much is the house itself? at my own money, i was around 8% of the cost of my house itself in todays terms.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
upgrades could double the cost of the flooring easily. if i used this places "real wood" floors, my cost would have doubled. so, $13k for 1300 feet, or roughly $10 a sqft installed. no idea on what is carpeting vs. wood vs. the rest - but people saying this isn't much? how much is the house itself? at my own money, i was around 8% of the cost of my house itself in todays terms.

he showed 5 pictures and I'm sure those were the best/worst he could find....the idea that every square foot of flooring needs to be replaces is ludicrous...the drywall was were a TV was mounted, just like every house in America and the garage had some pet food/trash piled up....the horror

Status
Not open for further replies.