Dallas Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant sued by state Sen. Royce West

Status
Not open for further replies.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Nobody would decorate or furnish a house of that value using middle of the road materials, and whether or not one product is better than another doesn't make a bit of difference if a purchaser is only going to shop for his materials in a specific price range. Surprisingly, when expensive things are broken they are expensive to replace.

That's not what you said. Fact is you can get top end building materials at Home Depot. I'm not going to make assumptions about what materials are used although the carpet does seem to be berber.

You would be surprised. My fam owns a HVAC company and I've seen several $1m homes with cheap Janitrol systems and similar appliances. Realtors, property management, and home warranty companies are notoriously cheap.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
That's not what you said. Fact is you can get top end building materials at Home Depot. I'm not going to make assumptions about what materials are used although the carpet does seem to be berber.

You would be surprised. My fam owns a HVAC company and I've seen several $1m homes with cheap Janitrol systems and similar appliances. Realtors, property management, and home warranty companies are notoriously cheap.

Lol, your entire contribution to this thread has been one assumption after the other... starting with the insinuation that Wells is West's "hatchet man," and that they were somehow doing Dez wrong by letting him lease this place and that somehow the damage to the property is really a revenge ploy, to assuming the damages in the home couldn't possibly be what are claimed.

Last edited:

jimmy40

Reaction score
That's pretty much exactly the way I'd think Dez Bryant would leave a rental.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Lol, your entire contribution to this thread has been one assumption after the other... starting with the insinuation that Wells is West's "hatchet man," and that they were somehow doing Dez wrong by letting him lease this place and that somehow the damage to the property is really a revenge ploy, to assuming the damages in the home couldn't possibly be what are claimed.

You can call me out for not substantiating my claim but it's no assumption. I don't play that game.

So who is David Wells, and how did this hulking ex-bail bondsman work his way into the Dallas Cowboys' graces? Six years before he came to Jones' attention as the burly bodyguard for Michael Irvin, he was a uniformed auxiliary for the Dallas Police Department who got fired over a missing pair of boxing gloves. He then became a private eye specializing in rounding up witnesses for trial. This connected him with judges and prominent lawyers like state Sen. Royce West, who later helped Wells put out a shingle for David's Bail Bonds without Wells investing a single dime of his own. (West also represented Irvin and Bryant in their legal troubles.) In short order, Wells was rolling around town in a Navigator with vanity tags that said bail me. Cash poured in but didn't always go out: In 2008, Wells pleaded guilty to tax evasion to avoid doing time. According to Bryant's legal team, Wells has been sued multiple times — for everything from fraud to unpaid debts and nonpayment of city taxes, with judgments exceeding $1 million.

Remarkably, none of this troubled the Cowboys, who've retained him to run background checks on players. Over the phone, Wells claimed to have served the team as a "crisis-management expert" since the 1990s, when he assisted Irvin in completing his community-service hours after Irvin pleaded no contest to felony cocaine possession. Describing himself as the "black Ray Donovan,"

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/sports/features/dez-bryant-the-survivor-20150827#ixzz4CScsjobk

I said that I am not going to take anyone at their word in a legal dispute and outside of a list of dollar figures and pictures that don't fully substantiate it, I have no reason to believe any plaintiff. You take critical thinking and turn it on its head for sophistry. Good job.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Afraid that the Cowboys would cut or trade him if he didn't accede to their terms, he signed the agreement to let them garnish his salary to cover Wells' fee each month (though the money ended up coming out of one of his bank accounts instead of his paycheck.) Meanwhile, Wells had power of attorney, which meant he had access to Bryant's bank accounts, where his game checks were wired. It wasn't until last winter, after hiring Roc Nation, that he got a fuller sense of what he calls "the foul play" involved.

Per a review of his finances by TravisWolff, an accounting firm he hired last February, between $700,000 and $900,000 of Bryant's money went to Wells or unidentified accounts. This included $377,000 paid to Wells or companies owned by him (part of which was the $17,000 monthly payments), an estimated $85,000 went to insure six cars not in Bryant's name, at least one of which belonged to Wells, and checks made out to Bryant that his financial team still hasn't been able to locate. Wells denies any wrongdoing. "I've made over $10 million, so why would I need his money?" says Wells. "Do you know who took care of Dez during the lockout? It was me, that's who!"

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/sports/features/dez-bryant-the-survivor-20150827#ixzz4CSgmEdfl

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
However, Bryant's tax adviser John Karls tells a vastly different story. He claims there was a bank account set up under the name "David Wells c/o Dez Bryant" that Dez couldn't touch, and it received $75,000 in wires from the deal with BioSteel. Additionally, Karls says, electronic payments were made out of Bryant's accounts for mortgage and monthly bills with Wells' name in the transaction description during 2010-13, the same time Wells says Bryant was living rent-free at his house.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/sports/features/dez-bryant-the-survivor-20150827#ixzz4CShSex7f

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
That's exactly the game you're playing; one big assumptive game masquerading around like your speculation is fact.

Reading linked articles is fact. I just demonstrated how Wells was West's hatchetman and that they had been bilking him previously.

West has the burden of proof here and a list doesn't cut it particularly when neither Bryant nor one of his reps was present for the walkthrough and damage assessment. You can wishcast that Bryant is going to lose the case if you like. You are clearly determined to do so.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I said that I am not going to take anyone at their word in a legal dispute and outside of a list of dollar figures and pictures that don't fully substantiate it, I have no reason to believe any plaintiff.

Lol, smh... And how would you know this one way or the other?

You take critical thinking and turn it on its head for sophistry. Good job.

And you've championed dimwittedness.

Bravo.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Reading linked articles is fact. I just demonstrated how Wells was West's hatchetman and that they had been bilking him previously.

West has the burden of proof here and a list doesn't cut it particularly when neither Bryant nor one of his reps was present for the walkthrough and damage assessment. You can wishcast that Bryant is going to lose the case if you like. You are clearly determined to do so.

Ah, and there it is (bolded)...I'm surprised it took you this long to trot out that impish claim.

Feel free to quote something I said at any point in this thread that even hinted or insinuated me thinking or wishing Dez loses this case.

Meanwhile, your fanboy driven agenda of absolving Dez of any possible wrongdoing is evident in every post.

But nevermind that, go ahead and fetch me that quote.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Lol, smh... And how would you know this one way or the other?

And you've championed dimwittedness.

Bravo.

You had moved the argument to "you think that is all the pictures" which basically acknowledges that what we have right now doesn't substantiate it. You're the side that is wishcasting for more pictures we haven't seen.

I'm more than willing to accept that there might be more to West's case but leaks like this tend to try to be as damaging as possible so I wouldn't bet on it.

Keep on insulting me as a person directly and see how long you can keep it up. You should also check your sodium levels.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Ah, and there it is (bolded)...I'm surprised it took you this long to trot out that impish claim.

Feel free to quote something I said at any point in this thread that even hinted or insinuated me thinking or wishing Dez loses this case.

Meanwhile, your fanboy driven agenda of absolving Dez of any possible wrongdoing is evident in every post.

But nevermind that, go ahead and fetch me that quote.

Here you go.

Sorry, is this supposed to be profound?

Of course the court requires some burden of proof or justification for the estimates.

Why are you assuming West simply just pulled the figure $61,546.77 out of his arse?

I'm guessing with that specific a figure (down to the penny), he simply added up all the estimates (or work already completed) to come up with that number.

You repetitively are defending his case after all.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
You had moved the argument to "you think that is all the pictures" which basically acknowledges that what we have right now doesn't substantiate it. You're the side that is wishcasting for more pictures we haven't seen.

I'm more than willing to accept that there might be more to West's case but leaks like this tend to try to be as damaging as possible so I wouldn't bet on it.

Keep on insulting me as a person directly and see how long you can keep it up. You should also check your sodium levels.

You are stunningly intellectually dishonest, lol.

Let me educate you friend...the fact you assume the pictures have to be an exhaustive account of all the damage is the folly of your own simple reasoning abilities. I can't help you with that (though I tried). Why do you presume these are the only photos or evidence?

I, along with others, simply tried to walk you through how that claimed repair bill isn't that far-fetched.

Don't play coy and pretend like you're "willing to accept" any evidence, circumstance, information or fact that would even hint at putting Dez in a bad light.

Check your manure intake, you're full of it.

Last edited:

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Here you go.

You repetitively are defending his case after all.

Lol, smh.

Let me educate you again.

1. The legitimacy of the repair costs doesn't speak to Dez's presumed guilt or innocence or involvement in this matter.

2. (Let me simplify it for you further) Dez could have zero involvement and that repair bill could still be legitimately $61,546.77. Why? Because the home is damaged and that's simply the cost of the repairs.

Undermining or defending Dez has zero to do with that quote. You're flailing.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
You are stunningly intellectually dishonest, lol.

Let me educate you friend...the fact you assume the pictures have to be an exhaustive account of all the damage is the folly of your own simple reasoning abilities. I can't help you with that (though I tried). Why do you presume these are the only photos or evidence?

I, along with others, simply tried to walk you through how that claimed repair bill isn't that far-fetched.

Don't play coy and pretend like you're "willing to accept" any evidence, circumstance, information or fact that would put Dez in a bad light in this matter.

Check your manure intake, you're full of it.

I said there might be more and you come at me with this? My unwillingness to assume there is makes me intellectually dishonest? I'm a skeptic. Deal with it.

You remind me of people that expect me to make their case for them.

Keep being mad though it's pretty funny at this point.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Lol, smh.

Let me educate you again.

1. The legitimacy of the repair costs doesn't speak to Dez's presumed guilt or innocence or involvement in this matter.

2. (Let me simplify it for you further) Dez could have zero involvement and that repair bill could still be legitimately $61,546.77. Why? Because the home is damaged and that's simply the cost of the repairs.

:laugh: Uh huh. You remind me of politicians who make arguments all one way but reject the unpopular conclusion.

And 'repair' assumes damage done, chachi. As opposed to an improvement or renovation.

What we have of West's case does not justify civil liability to Bryant for that amount.

Hoofbite

Reaction score

What I said was, "laying around". If you consider that to be the top brand of paint or carpet then so be it. "Laying around" to me is more fitting of remnants and whatnot.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Total BS clause. You could be negligent as crap and not have to pay.

I had a landlord trash the carpet replacing a fridge. He took it out of my deposit.

You play it that way?

No, I don't play games. They sign a report when they move in. I schedule a walk through at the end and tell them what I expect. If they decline the walk through, then I take pictures of the damage, send them an accounting of the repairs, along with the photos of the damage. I deduct this from the security deposit. If it's over, then I give them a reasonable amount of time before I sue. I've never had to sue, and it would probably not be worth my time.

In situations like this, my insurance policy would cover this as vandalism.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
For the record, I think Dez is pretty loosely wound in his personal life, but if I'm picking between that crook David Wells and his cohort and Dez, I'd back Dez' version of the story, too. That is, assuming Dez's version of the story were out before we all started leaping to conclusions.

what i don't get is - everyone on dez's side is assuming that the list is made up and can't be verified. does anything think a senator who can afford to own a house like that is going to go for a money grab on things that cannot be verified? he would have to know full well that this will come up and be highly scrutinized by the courts and dez's own defense team.

for the most part i'd have to go along with WG here and say hard to know for a fact what was up - but something tell me dez didn't exactly do what he shoulda done (gosh, is that a reach?) and will wind up paying something. how much i suppose would be dependent on whether or not west is really out these expenses or if he padded the list.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Not sure how many times we have to post threads on topics where only one side of a story is presented, only to see the other side come out and go 'huh, well, that's a little bit different, then' before we'll realize that we should just have waiting to have a more complete picture in the first place. Not sure how many times, but it's apparently a number in the thousands somewhere because I feel like that's how many times we've had threads like these and later realized that the drama had nothing to do with anything more than incomplete reporting.

pretty sure it's every time. instant gratification society has no shame. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.