Dallas Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant sued by state Sen. Royce West

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydla

Reaction score
Well that story included death threats and drugs, but point taken.

Still a non-issue in my mind. If you under the illusion that Dez is a saint you're going to have a bad time.

I don't expect him to be a saint.

But I expect to him to at least be a somewhat decent human being and at this point in his life be a bit more responsible. Turning that house back to the landlord in the condition it was in is not something I would expect from a guy who many here has said has grown up and matured over the years.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Lol, smh.

Let me educate you again.

1. The legitimacy of the repair costs doesn't speak to Dez's presumed guilt or innocence or involvement in this matter.

Not true.

If it is found that the repair bill is actually worth $10k it hurts West's credibility in the case. Dez could still have to pay the $10k of repair bills, but anytime you have legal disputes like this and one side is caught being less than truthful, it hurts their case.

2. (Let me simplify it for you further) Dez could have zero involvement and that repair bill could still be legitimately $61,546.77. Why? Because the home is damaged and that's simply the cost of the repairs.

Undermining or defending Dez has zero to do with that quote. You're flailing.

I don't think he had any involvement. I just don't imagine any millionaire living in squalor. I think he left the residence and sombody (i.e. squatters) and/or something (i.e. rodents) were able to get into the residence and destroy the place.

It will likely come down to the following:

A. Did Dez have a lease? (if he didn't, West's case isn't looking good and I've known attorneys that own property that didn't have leases with their renters).

B. If Dez had a lease, does he have proof of notifying West that he has left the residence?

Typically, these cases favor the renter (Dez). That's why there is so much paperwork done with a rental agreement between an apartment complex.

To me, I don't think this is really a story at all. Unless Dez purposely did it out of spite, it's just something that can happen.

YR

Sydla

Reaction score
Home Depot has Behr paint 'lying around' but waving your hands at SW or whoever else is cute and all but I'm not sure what point youre think youre making.

You admitted I was right in the rest of it. Bringing up labor costs to install said material was cute.

And wishcasting at ancillary problems was extra special cute.

The fact you think you are right is priceless. But I expect nothing less from you.

Sydla

Reaction score
For the record, I think Dez is pretty loosely wound in his personal life, but if I'm picking between that crook David Wells and his cohort and Dez, I'd back Dez' version of the story, too. That is, assuming Dez's version of the story were out before we all started leaping to conclusions.

I think the wise position would be that Dez (or people associated with him) screwed up the house, West is trying to milk the damage for upgrades and in the end they'll quietly settle.

Again, it's not like Bryant hasn't tried to stiff people before. His track record does him no favors.

Last edited:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The fact you think you are right is priceless. But I expect nothing less from you.

Why would anyone care even if he exagerated the repair costs. Should the owner go around to Home Depot and all these different stores trying to find the cheapest way to do the repairs so Dez has to pay less? From the pictures it looks like most of the inside of the house was trashed. I could see 60k. I could definitely see 40k. So it was 40k and he said it was 60k? Either way who cares? Dez Trashed the house that is all that matters.

Sydla

Reaction score
Not true.

If it is found that the repair bill is actually worth $10k it hurts West's credibility in the case. Dez could still have to pay the $10k of repair bills, but anytime you have legal disputes like this and one side is caught being less than truthful, it hurts their case.

I don't think he had any involvement. I just don't imagine any millionaire living in squalor. I think he left the residence and sombody (i.e. squatters) and/or something (i.e. rodents) were able to get into the residence and destroy the place.

It will likely come down to the following:

A. Did Dez have a lease? (if he didn't, West's case isn't looking good and I've known attorneys that own property that didn't have leases with their renters).

B. If Dez had a lease, does he have proof of notifying West that he has left the residence?

Typically, these cases favor the renter (Dez). That's why there is so much paperwork done with a rental agreement between an apartment complex.

To me, I don't think this is really a story at all. Unless Dez purposely did it out of spite, it's just something that can happen.

YR

I also would think that a millionaire wouldn't try to rip off a jeweler and not pay back loans but unfortunately Dez did that too.

Again, who knows what the real story is here, but the belief that it's impossible a rich NFL player could do something like this is kind of bizarre.......... especially a guy with Dez's track record.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
what i don't get is - everyone on dez's side is assuming that the list is made up and can't be verified. does anything think a senator who can afford to own a house like that is going to go for a money grab on things that cannot be verified? he would have to know full well that this will come up and be highly scrutinized by the courts and dez's own defense team.

for the most part i'd have to go along with WG here and say hard to know for a fact what was up - but something tell me dez didn't exactly do what he shoulda done (gosh, is that a reach?) and will wind up paying something. how much i suppose would be dependent on whether or not west is really out these expenses or if he padded the list.

Here's the thing for me. It's not a ton of money getting disputed by Dez's current standards. And he's got legit representation now, which includes legal representation. If he's really responsible for this and contractually on the hook, it's really bad advice he'd be getting to not settle the dispute. Instead, what did they do? Told them to drop it or they'd counter sue. That's a strong response if there's not another side to this story. You don't do that if you don't think you'll win.

So, either Dez is getting good advice and just not following it. Or he's getting good advice and there's another side to this thing. Either of those is possible, but I think at this point in his career the latter is more likely. Especially since we haven't heard word-one on the disputed from Dez's side yet.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the wise position would be that Dez (or people associated with him) screwed up the house, West is trying to milk the damage for upgrades and in the end they'll quietly settle.

Again, it's not like Bryant hasn't tried to stiff people before. His track record does him no favors.

That's true, too.

gmoney112

Reaction score
what i don't get is - everyone on dez's side is assuming that the list is made up and can't be verified. does anything think a senator who can afford to own a house like that is going to go for a money grab on things that cannot be verified? he would have to know full well that this will come up and be highly scrutinized by the courts and dez's own defense team.

for the most part i'd have to go along with WG here and say hard to know for a fact what was up - but something tell me dez didn't exactly do what he shoulda done (gosh, is that a reach?) and will wind up paying something. how much i suppose would be dependent on whether or not west is really out these expenses or if he padded the list.

Its not that it can't be verified, its just that this whole thing feels like a great disturbance in the force, and when it comes to powerful men that are connected to ex. leeches (wells), i mean business partners that feel wronged, then there should be a high degree of skepticism. West and Wells go back a long way, west is actually the guy that hired wells as an investigator/bodyguard for Irvin, and they were both developers in Dez's company. I'm guessing one of the two helped the other get a position there. They're also pretty active in the AA community in the area so to say they know each other well is probably an understatement.

West also owns a commercial litigation firm so he knows the little tactics. The first shots fired is always PR, that's basically a given. The point's simple, shame the other person into a settlement that's in your favor. I think we all get that. Is there anyone better at working PR than a Senator? Probably not.

I guess DMN can get a copy of the filing through the FOIA? I'm pretty sure they have to submit an inquiry though, that's not exactly just put out there. Does anyone think a litigator, a Senator and master of press releases, who owns a commercial litigation firm, didn't nudge that inquiry along a bit to do what he's probably done in every single case, to smear a litigant into a settlement? I'd be shocked if wells/west didn't prod an inquiry from DMN to get that filing. Even just a "hey, got an article for you, pending case against dez bryant, they have a filing on record, you know you can get that by an inquiry"

I guess if you aren't familiar with high profile litigation, or even negotiation for that matter, it might seem like that's unethical or something, but it's just the rules of the game. It's not unethical, it's expected.

I can't read the whole filing, but is that where the photos came from? It's saying the rest of the filing is locked outside of a few pages, so i don't know.

If it was a court inquiry, where are the rest of the pictures? If the pictures were leaked, why did they leak pictures that show a fraction of the supposed damage? It doesn't make any sense, which kinda insinuates that this is the best they got. I'm not saying it is, but given the nature of these things, that's what it looks like.

West could be right, sure. He could be honest. But, given the only *real* evidence we have, a couple of pictures that really show about 5k in damage, and an itemized receipt from a guy who is an expert at manipulating expenses by job title, that owns a litigation firm, who has a working relationship with the local media, and more importantly, has a very personal relationship with a guy who had his meal ticket in Dez and wasn't exactly pleased when he cut him off.

When the motive is that apparent, it should make people skeptical. I'm not saying Dez is innocent of anything, I'm just saying that in cases like these it's probably less speculative and presumptuous to assume that the guy suing him is probably a little full of it, and the evidence that we have doesn't help that case.

Sydla

Reaction score
Interesting gmoney that you lay out all these reasons why West is pulling a stunt here but then fail to mention that Bryant has a history of not paying for things and being sued.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Interesting gmoney that you lay out all these reasons why West is pulling a stunt here but then fail to mention that Bryant has a history of not paying for things and being sued.

A history? All i can think of is the jewelry thing. If there's something else feel free to elaborate, I really don't know. A history to me just means multiple occurrences, and well, i tend to think some dumb choices in your early 20's are expected, especially when you're a poor dude from nowhere East TX and got handed money and the Dallas Cowboys. If all the youth were prosecuted for not paying their debts, half the college graduates in this country would have a history of being sued.

And well, it's not reasons why "West is pulling a stunt". I'm looking at the case objectively. You should always be biased towards the defendant, that's what "innocent until proven guilty" means.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
I don't expect him to be a saint.

But I expect to him to at least be a somewhat decent human being and at this point in his life be a bit more responsible. Turning that house back to the landlord in the condition it was in is not something I would expect from a guy who many here has said has grown up and matured over the years.

True, but he does do a lot of good things that are overshadowed by the negative.

Have you seen the way he interacts with fans, especially children? He is involved in charitable endeavors and is highly respective of former and current Cowboys players and staff.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Here's the thing for me. It's not a ton of money getting disputed by Dez's current standards. And he's got legit representation now, which includes legal representation. If he's really responsible for this and contractually on the hook, it's really bad advice he'd be getting to not settle the dispute. Instead, what did they do? Told them to drop it or they'd counter sue. That's a strong response if there's not another side to this story. You don't do that if you don't think you'll win.

So, either Dez is getting good advice and just not following it. Or he's getting good advice and there's another side to this thing. Either of those is possible, but I think at this point in his career the latter is more likely. Especially since we haven't heard word-one on the disputed from Dez's side yet.

makes sense to me - i have no idea what the whole story is anyway but this is logical.

Sydla

Reaction score
A history? All i can think of is the jewelry thing. If there's something else feel free to elaborate, I really don't know. A history to me just means multiple occurrences, and well, i tend to think some dumb choices in your early 20's are expected, especially when you're a poor dude from nowhere East TX and got handed money and the Dallas Cowboys. If all the youth were prosecuted for not paying their debts, half the college graduates in this country would have a history of being sued.

And well, it's not reasons why "West is pulling a stunt". I'm looking at the case objectively. You should always be biased towards the defendant, that's what "innocent until proven guilty" means.

I don't think you are looking at it objectively at all. I think you are looking at it with your Cowboys goggles on.

For someone who is apparently looking at this objectively, you've spent a lot of time building a pro-Dez case from snippets of information at our disposal. The reality is you have no idea what the extent of the damage is but have argued you do based on a handful of photos and the belief West is involved in some push back against Bryant due to his relationship with Wells.

If that's calling being objective............. whew.

And LOL at trying to correlate the debts Bryant had early in his 20s with regular youth debt (like student loans or credit card debt) is hilarious. Bryant was alleged to owe $600M in loans and jewelry costs. Your normal 24 year old doesn't even sniff a debt like that.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
I don't think you are looking at it objectively at all. I think you are looking at it with your Cowboys goggles on.

For someone who is apparently looking at this objectively, you've spent a lot of time building a pro-Dez case from snippets of information at our disposal. The reality is you have no idea what the extent of the damage is but have argued you do based on a handful of photos and the belief West is involved in some push back against Bryant due to his relationship with Wells.

And LOL at trying to correlate the debts Bryant had early in his 20s with regular youth debt (like student loans or credit card debt) is hilarious. Bryant was alleged to owe $600M in loans and jewelry costs. Your normal 24 year old doesn't even sniff a debt like that.

$600 Million!!! :eek:

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score

You do realize that you're making a less supportable hypothesis without evidence? Gmoney's assumption that the provided evidence is unlikely to reach 60k in damages is somehow worse than your assumption that these pictures don't tell the whole story?
And that people who have been committed to harming Dez's image since he removed their money stream might just be doing so again? Heck of a coincidence.

And then your correction includes a half billion dollar mistake?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's really not possible to defend Dez in this situation yet. All we know are the accusations. We don't know the circumstances. Until those come out, if they come out, everybody ought to be in 'wait and see' mode. It's possible Dez or his people pulled a dirtbag move. It's possible this is another smear. There's not enough information yet to know which it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.