Dallas is horrible at drafting Dlineman

kskboys

Reaction score
Well if you want to expand that just how well have we done drafting QBs since AIkman? Dak is the only one we hit on. Though in Jethro's defense we have not drafted many,
But I agree we have not drafted really good DL since BP was here. Almost Anthony was about the same level as Lawrence.
BP drafted Ratliff and some others; even if Spears was not all that great he was still decent.

And Jethro has never drafted a DT worth a rats ***.
OK, that's beyond crazy. Almost is not even close to the same level as DLaw. Honestly, why would you think that?

75boyz

Reaction score
The Front Office is hung up on perceived high motors (aka try-hard guys) and "position flex." They end up drafting a bunch of guys who can't win their individual match-up's on a consistent basis.

Kneeland is fine, I do not love the pick and I don't see him developing into an impact starter, which is what a 2nd round pick should be able to project to.

Drafting Kneeland is the equivalent of being down 11 with 2 minutes to go, and opting to kick a field goal. Sure, I get it, but you are now asking for everything else to have to work out perfect. This team has too many holes in the starting line-up to draft a 4th or 5th DE who doesn't get to the Quarterback.
Great post.
He'll also check all the boxes in the underwear Olympics combine testing of raw athleticism.
But can he consistently beat an NFL offensive tackle in front of him?

The answer is most likely a no and I predict that infamous statement being made about him that they say when a defensive end is not an effective pass rusher and they're trying to be nice...
"He knows how to set the edge and is a positive run defender."

That's if we're lucky imo.

kskboys

Reaction score
Great post.
He'll also check all the boxes in the underwear Olympics combine testing of raw athleticism.
But can he consistently beat an NFL offensive tackle in front of him?

The answer is most likely a no and I predict that infamous statement being made about him that they say when a defensive end is not an effective pass rusher and they're trying to be nice...
"He knows how to set the edge and is a positive run defender."

That's if we're lucky imo.
That's what they said about Maxx Crosby.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Despite his tweener status. I feel like they have to get some credit for Micah. I mean. He’s one of the best pass rushers in the entire league.

Even if they first drafted him to play LB.

But yeah. They suck at getting DT’s. Absolutely.

Big_D

Reaction score
Their job at DT over the years has been nothing short of horrendous. I’ve never seen a team get routinely run over and still decide to ignore it. It’s a pretty strange pattern here.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The last defensive lineman that made at least one probowl was Demacus Lawrence and he was drafted in 2014, in 10 years we have not drafted one legit starter. Unbelievable, looking back at our draft classes, im not sure where the "we draft well" comes from
This feels pretty dishonest??
I mean you have 2 Pro Bowl caliber DEs right now in DLaw and Micah.
Sam Williams looks like a monster in his limited reps.
Dorance was an R4 that was good enough to get poached over to WFT by Quinn.
Osa has been good inside, but the other DTs have been misses that's for sure.
So you have 3 home grown starts on the DL who are good.
You just haven't hit on that 4th guy (yet).

Taco was a failure, Gallimore is below average. There's a handful of legit attempts that didn't pan out.

kskboys

Reaction score
This feels pretty dishonest??
I mean you have 2 Pro Bowl caliber DEs right now in DLaw and Micah.
Sam Williams looks like a monster in his limited reps.
Dorance was an R4 that was good enough to get poached over to WFT by Quinn.
Osa has been good inside, but the other DTs have been misses that's for sure.
So you have 3 home grown starts on the DL who are good.
You just haven't hit on that 4th guy (yet).

Taco was a failure, Gallimore is below average. There's a handful of legit attempts that didn't pan out.
Collins is very good.

kskboys

Reaction score
Their job at DT over the years has been nothing short of horrendous. I’ve never seen a team get routinely run over and still decide to ignore it. It’s a pretty strange pattern here.
The problem is, they base their analysis strictly on the pass rush, and there's just so much more to the DT position than sacks.

Loso86

Reaction score
The last defensive lineman that made at least one probowl was Demacus Lawrence and he was drafted in 2014, in 10 years we have not drafted one legit starter. Unbelievable, looking back at our draft classes, im not sure where the "we draft well" comes from
Not all on Dallas. It's not very many good ones anymore. You have a few and sometimes College schemes don't set these players up well

Creeper

Reaction score
Since 1992, the Cowboys have drafted 10 DTs in the first 4 rounds. Only one made the pro-bowl. That was Jason Hatcher. The did a little better drafting DEs. 4 have made the pro-bowl. 3 were first round picks. But 22 have been taken.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
This is so tru we suck at drafting d lineman. Our best pass rusher we drafted as an off ball lber

MikeT22

Reaction score
Osa was a fine pick.
Well yes, when you compare him to most of the others we’ve drafted in the last decade.

Gallimore, Tapper, Collins, Taco, Trysten, Gholston, Anae, Joe Jackson, Bohanna, Mazi, Fehoko, Armstrong and Sam Williams.

Armstrong was serviceable but not enough to warrant a 2nd contract. Williams seems like a head case and is entering a prove it year or he goes down on the list with the others.

Overall a bunch of jags and busts.

DFWJC

Reaction score
No doubt, they've had some misses on the D-Line.

As for drafting well OVERALL, that usually comes from unbiased analytical analysis on how many players were taken and how many contributed. And on top of that, how many started, made Pro Bowls, etc.

Dallas is usally pretty high up there in those unbiased analysis.

Not at the very top, but way up there.

Aven8

Reaction score
Well yes, when you compare him to most of the others we’ve drafted in the last decade.

Gallimore, Tapper, Collins, Taco, Trysten, Gholston, Anae, Joe Jackson, Bohanna, Mazi, Fehoko, Armstrong and Sam Williams.

Armstrong was serviceable but not enough to warrant a 2nd contract. Williams seems like a head case and is entering a prove it year or he goes down on the list with the others.

Overall a bunch of jags and busts.
Armstrong’s 2nd contract was peanuts for his production