Dallas to host Alfred Morris on Monday

mattjames2010

Reaction score
From his first year to his second he had 400 less yards. From year 2 to 3 he had 200 less yards. From year 3 to 4 he had 200 less yards than the previous year. Last year he had 250 less yards. I guess what I meant is he had a significant drop off in production, but that's just according to tangible stats.

The Commanders O-Line declining is a much bigger issue for why Morris declined in production.

td4mvp2k

Reaction score
Good. He's a good guy and plugs a hole temporarily. I actually liked Turbin better for us for that hole, but whatever.

He ain't keeping us from drafting a RB, though. No way.
i give him a TC deal and see what he has but RB in draft is need

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Haha

"Why aren't signing any big names!?|

"Alfred Morris coming in for visit"

"HE SUCKS!!!"

This would be a good signing. A real good signing. The run blocking in Washington has declined quite a bit since Morris' 2012 season (Product of the read option, yes)

I"m confused.

Callahan is their OL coach and heavily mixes with the offensive thinking.

If he is not wanting Alfred back knowing how much they are going to run in 2016..

there must be a problem.

So I think if you are looking to spell DMac heavily like they did with Randle in the beginning..

then maybe.

I would prefer a younger back to be added to DMac.

It depends on how he would be used. Romo needs RBs that can catch to check down to..

Is Morris able to get to the edge and threaten the secondary?

If not..then probably not the best way to go.

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
His 4,713 yards are 2nd only to AP the last 4 years and he is a 2x Pro Bowler. He did this with inconsistent QB and OL play. With us he'd have a Pro Bowl QB and The Great Wall of Dallas 2.0 to run behind. Plus he's only 27. I think he'd excel here.

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
Morris may be slow but i think he would fit this scheme.

Just because a back isnt fast, quick etc doesnt mean he wont do well. Sometimes, those slow backs are the ones that control the game with the offensive line.

For cheap i would bring him in.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think signing Morris would keep us from drafting a back in the 3rd-4th round.

I do. Last year McFadden/Randle/Dunbar made us comfortable enough to pass on a running back. Why wouldn't McFadden/Morris/Dunbar do the same? Not only is Morris a more accomplished player than Randle but the team would have more invested in him.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Morris ran very well in the zone scheme. Once they changed coaching staffs, they got away from it.

He's worth a flyer. See what he looks like behind the leagues number one zone blocking line.

boysfanindc

Reaction score
I am a fan, if they bring Morris in he will win the starting RB job over McFadden.

Anyone that thinks he is on the decline have not watched him or the team he played.

The deadskins line has been bad, they tried to hand the job to Jones last year, because they knew Alfred was soon to be a free agent but Alfred would not allow it to happen.

He is a perfect scheme fit, a great team mate, tough runner and great in protection.

If they bring him in he will win the job, 27 years old and a tough runner.

Would love to see this!

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
His 4,713 yards are 2nd only to AP the last 4 years and he is a 2x Pro Bowler. He did this with inconsistent QB and OL play. With us he'd have a Pro Bowl QB and The Great Wall of Dallas 2.0 to run behind. Plus he's only 27. I think he'd excel here.

System back.

Derinyar

Reaction score
We built the elite offensive line so we didn't have to put an elite RB behind it. Sure it'd be fun to have the elite RB back there also but its a luxury. We turned DMC into a 1k back with no passing threat behind him in a system that the offensive line was running that wasn't their best. A 1 year deal, or at worst a 2 year DMC like deal, doesn't effect draft strategy much at all. Why not kick the tires, especially considering that I wouldn't be surprised if Dunbar starts on PUP.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I"m confused.

Callahan is their OL coach and heavily mixes with the offensive thinking.

If he is not wanting Alfred back knowing how much they are going to run in 2016..

there must be a problem.

So I think if you are looking to spell DMac heavily like they did with Randle in the beginning..

then maybe.

I would prefer a younger back to be added to DMac.

It depends on how he would be used. Romo needs RBs that can catch to check down to..

Is Morris able to get to the edge and threaten the secondary?

If not..then probably not the best way to go.

Why wasn't Murray more successful in Philadelphia? Was he a wasted back? No, the system change was bad for him. Things have changed in Washington as well...but Morris would do well in a zone blocking scheme. Better than McFadden in zone schemes.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Morris ran very well in the zone scheme. Once they changed coaching staffs, they got away from it.

He's worth a flyer. See what he looks like behind the leagues number one zone blocking line.

Lol, there was a reason why he made the Pro Bowl for two seasons in a weakened version of the Dallas line strengths.

CowboyJ70

Reaction score
I would sign Morris and still draft a RB. Without having an elite defense, a dominant runnning game again would help this team the most right now.

CCBoy

Reaction score
IRVING (105.3 THE FAN) – We are on Tier-Zillion in NFL free agency, and much to the likely chagrin of running back Alfred Morris, he remains on the shelf.

Much to the pleasure of the Cowboys, the two-time Pro Bowler is coming off that shelf to visit Dallas.

Morris, 27, has slipped through the cracks of free agency despite his solid credentials, which include a fine rookie campaign that saw him give Washington 1,613 yards, 13 touchdowns, and five yards per carry.

He made the Pro Bowl in 2013 and 2014 but while he was a starter last year, he split time in a backs-by-committee system .

Morris is scheduled to visit Dallas on Monday. The Cowboys have incumbent leading rusher Darren McFadden and scatback Lance Dunbar (rehabbing from a knee injury). Morris could in theory vault from the bottom of the free-agency shelving to the top of the Cowboys’ running-back depth chart.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2016/03/18/could-alfred-morris-vault-to-top-of-cowboys-rb-depth-chart/

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
There'll be a RB available in the middle rounds of the draft that should provide as much as Alfred Morris has to offer. You could include youth into the equation in the process.