Dalton throws for 300+ yds: fans say keep him. Dak threw for 450+ yds 3 times, fans say cut him?

Aftershock

Reaction score
If I was the GM I would only sign Dak at $25-30M. Gotta take into account he is younger than Dalton and has more long-term potential. But at $40M that is outrageous because if we make the playoffs with Andy it shows we can build a solid team around him in the short-term. This is not to say Dak is bad at all, he is a very good QB but I'm afraid we won't be able to build a solid team around him if we give him a top 3 QB contract ($40M+)

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
How many times has Dak? He found lots of ways not to last year. Losing 4 of the last 6. That's not elite. I wish AD was there to see how that might have went instead.
the record of the last 6 teams we played last year. 51-45, this year last 6 games...35-55 (pending last week's results, but not much will change).....we went 2-4 in those games and with Triple D we would have gone 0-6 and got blown out every game. all you have to do is look at TripleD's output against average teams this year....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
If the FO was sold that Prescott was their guy he would be signed.
Instead we are watching the exact same process that WASH used handling Cousins.
front office was sold. in fact they wanted him longer for 5 years....and then they franchised him....if they didn't want him and weren't sold, they would have never made the offer, would have offered less years and would not have franchised him

and btw, have you paid attention to washington QB situation since Cousins left?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Dak started out 5-3 his first season against winning record teams and has dramatically fallen off each year. This year 0-3. Last year 0-7 I believe .

The more concerning numbers though are how his production and passer rating drop against these opponents.

Last year alone we averaged about 35 points a game in our 8 wins while only17 points in our 8 losses.

I think if we presented his stats and passer ratings in comparison it would illustrate a stark difference which to me is more important than wins and losses which ultimately is more about the team than individual performance.

And the slow starts against these better opponents is a concern also. I saw some stats reflecting as such last year exposing these weaknesses against winning opponents.

ShaneFalco

Reaction score
front office was sold. in fact they wanted him longer for 5 years....and then they franchised him....if they didn't want him and weren't sold, they would have never made the offer, would have offered less years and would not have franchised him

and btw, have you paid attention to washington QB situation since Cousins left?

Have you paid attention to Cousins since he got to Minnesota? I could care less about WASH QB situation. They are a trash organization and Cousins sucks wherever he plays.
And saying the FO wanted Tag for 5 years is hyperbole and media innuendo. You have no
idea other than DAL said no to what Tag wanted.
According to that same media Tag wanted 100 million up front guaranteed. You believe that too?
Here’s what we actually know.
DAL and Tag had negotiations and the DAL FO said NO to whatever contract demands Tag wanted.
Then the FO tagged him. Just like WASH did with Cousins.

InTheZone

Reaction score
Yes...just skip them.
friday-damn-gif.gif

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Have you paid attention to Cousins since he got to Minnesota? I could care less about WASH QB situation. They are a trash organization and Cousins sucks wherever he plays.
And saying the FO wanted Tag for 5 years is hyperbole and media innuendo. You have no
idea other than DAL said no to what Tag wanted.
According to that same media Tag wanted 100 million up front guaranteed. You believe that too?
Here’s what we actually know.
DAL and Tag had negotiations and the DAL FO said NO to whatever contract demands Tag wanted.
Then the FO tagged him. Just like WASH did with Cousins.
yes, I have paid attention to cousins....I never liked cousins, but washington has been down right awful at QB play since he left. tells you a lot about them than anything else.

the FO offered a contract for 5 years....and Dak wanted a 4 year contract. no media innuendo, this is what was reported and got in the way of signing the contract....and when didn't agree, they kept the tag they had on him.....Dak even said, he was ready to just sign the contract.

and outside of this board and all the innuendo on this message board, you go by reputable media outlets that are close to the organization and close to the players and close to the agents...

subsequently if the deal is not done, we won't have all the details.....but not all that's reported can be dismissed because you haven't heard or seen it with your own eyes, perhaps if you get a job at one of these media and become cowboys beat reporter and have an understanding that you won't quote anyone (sources) and can report on some of these....

Dak Prescott contract details: Why Cowboys QB is playing under franchise tag without a long-term deal | Sporting News

Dak Prescott contract talks: Latest offer details, status of negotiations and outlook on looming deal - CBSSports.com

Dak Prescott contract: Cowboys are 'not nervous' to sign QB to long term deal - Sports Illustrated

Dak Prescott contract: Cowboys offer HUGE long-term deal to QB hours before deadline (republicworld.com)

Telling Details Emerge From Dak Prescott's Contract Negotiations (thespun.com)

Last edited:

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
It took Dalton 10 games to finally pass Dak (5 games) in passing yards.

ShaneFalco

Reaction score
yes, I have paid attention to cousins....I never liked cousins, but washington has been down right awful at QB play since he left. tells you a lot about them than anything else.

the FO offered a contract for 5 years....and Dak wanted a 4 year contract. no media innuendo, this is what was reported and got in the way of signing the contract....and when didn't agree, they kept the tag they had on him.....Dak even said, he was ready to just sign the contract.

and outside of this board and all the innuendo on this message board, you go by reputable media outlets that are close to the organization and close to the players and close to the agents...

subsequently if the deal is not done, we won't have all the details.....but not all that's reported can be dismissed because you haven't heard or seen it with your own eyes, perhaps if you get a job at one of these media and become cowboys beat reporter and have an understanding that you won't quote anyone (sources) and can report on some of these....

saying something after negotiations fall apart doesn’t make it true. Sorry, it just doesn’t. We’ve seen it a million times.
And Cousins sucked in WASH. He sucks in MIN.
It was a giant mistake to give him 87 million all up front fully guaranteed.
And none of this changes the simple fact that DAL is doing to Dak exactly what WASH did to Cousins.
Neither are elite.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
saying something after negotiations fall apart doesn’t make it true. Sorry, it just doesn’t. We’ve seen it a million times.
And Cousins sucked in WASH. He sucks in MIN.
It was a giant mistake to give him 87 million all up front fully guaranteed.
And none of this changes the simple fact that DAL is doing to Dak exactly what WASH did to Cousins.
Neither are elite.
its not saying something...its articles I posted that date prior to the FA signing period being over....

cousins is average to slightly above average in washington and in minn. he was the best option available. teams go QB hunting all the time. they over draft QBs, they keep drafting and they pay high dollars for QBs....its the cheapest and easiest way to get to the superbowl....

and Dallas is down the same path with Dak. I don't disagree. if they can't come to terms again, then they can tag him. he gets 38M......and then he can go and sign anywhere.

but because cousins failed. doesn't mean Dak will. Dak is heck of a lot better and has been heck of a lot better than cousins.

there are only two elite QBs in the league, Rodgers. Mahomes....that's it. I don't consider wilson elite. don't consider brees or brady elite any more. so if you want elite...good luck.....its almost a generational thing, with no more than 2, 3 elite QBs at a time in the league.

ShaneFalco

Reaction score
its not saying something...its articles I posted that date prior to the FA signing period being over....

cousins is average to slightly above average in washington and in minn. he was the best option available. teams go QB hunting all the time. they over draft QBs, they keep drafting and they pay high dollars for QBs....its the cheapest and easiest way to get to the superbowl....

and Dallas is down the same path with Dak. I don't disagree. if they can't come to terms again, then they can tag him. he gets 38M......and then he can go and sign anywhere.

but because cousins failed. doesn't mean Dak will. Dak is heck of a lot better and has been heck of a lot better than cousins.

there are only two elite QBs in the league, Rodgers. Mahomes....that's it. I don't consider wilson elite. don't consider brees or brady elite any more. so if you want elite...good luck.....its almost a generational thing, with no more than 2, 3 elite QBs at a time in the league.

I am of the opinion that as a Front Office you still need to try to acquire the elite QB. You can’t just give a Cousins type contract and say, “Oh well”. “We can be competitive.” That gets you just far enough to be beaten by the elite QB. Almost everytime.
I say be aggressive and go get what the FO perceives to be the elite QB and let the chips fall where they may. Why not? So you might fail. So what. You lick your wounds and try again.
The QB position is not only the most important position in the NFL, it’s the most important position in all of sports.
Go big and create a dynasty or go home.

Just my take.

Johnny23

Reaction score
Dak knew what he was doing signing with one of the sleaziest sports agents out there in Todd France. He wants to be paid handsomely and him blowing up his ankle carrying this rudimentary offense is only driving the price up. Knowing his brain trust.

We will pay out the nose for Dak like everyone of these clowns on the team.

Some fans would hope we learned maybe you rebuild your team or tweak it and not just try to keep everyone. Jerry and Stephen still are rewarding past performance. Not projecting future effectiveness and cost R.O.I.

So that's why people are not enamored with 450 yards considering the modern rules and the fact average quarterbacks are throwing up big numbers. It's not Dak. It's the fear we have a high functioning Brian Hoyer or Matt Schaub and we pay him like he's the better guys Cowboys fans disrespect just to boost up Prescott's status unnecessarily.

ShaneFalco

Reaction score
Dak knew what he was doing signing with one of the sleaziest sports agents out there in Todd France. He wants to be paid handsomely and him blowing up his ankle carrying this rudimentary offense is only driving the price up. Knowing his brain trust.

We will pay out the nose for Dak like everyone of these clowns on the team.

Some fans would hope we learned maybe you rebuild your team or tweak it and not just try to keep everyone. Jerry and Stephen still are rewarding past performance. Not projecting future effectiveness and cost R.O.I.

So that's why people are not enamored with 450 yards considering the modern rules and the fact average quarterbacks are throwing up big numbers. It's not Dak. It's the fear we have a high functioning Brian Hoyer or Matt Schaub and we pay him like he's the better guys Cowboys fans disrespect just to boost up Prescott's status unnecessarily.

What would you do instead?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I am of the opinion that as a Front Office you still need to try to acquire the elite QB. You can’t just give a Cousins type contract and say, “Oh well”. “We can be competitive.” That gets you just far enough to be beaten by the elite QB. Almost everytime.
I say be aggressive and go get what the FO perceives to be the elite QB and let the chips fall where they may. Why not? So you might fail. So what. You lick your wounds and try again.
The QB position is not only the most important position in the NFL, it’s the most important position in all of sports.
Go big and create a dynasty or go home.

Just my take.
like I said before, there are only two elite QBs in the league right now. Rodgers and Mahomes....the rest are good QBs to very good QBs...

so where do you suppose to find this elite QB? in the draft? then you better tank and hope a top notch one is available in top 5 and ends up being a good one, as most drafted QBs fail than succeed.
Is there a elite QB available via trade or FA? don't tell me stafford, as he is the most over rated QB of the modern era. nice guy. nothing against him, but if he ever had a time, its come and gone.

and like you said go after a QB in draft you think maybe elite...what if it fails? which it happens most often than not....you go back to square one. waste everybody's time and start again?

and what happens when you find a good QB, develop him and after 3 years his contract is done and you have to pay him? ala Dak? or are you going to refuse and start all over again. is the plan to just try and draft, develop and hope everything comes together in the first 4 years.....so every 4 years you rinse and repeat...

there is no walmart or 1-800 number for finding elite QBs.....Mahomes is elite. he won last year. Brady...is he still considered Elite? or is he just really good? and plus he had bilicheck!!....eagles won with Foles and wentz (go figure), Broncos won with Manning, who at the time was pretty washed up and had no arm strength, he was far far from elite, ravens won with flacco and giants with Eli...other teams got there with good QBs...they didn't win , but they got to the last dance and anything is possible once you are there, (ala eli, flacco, etc.)

so you don't have to have an elite QB like Mahomes, Prime Brady or Rodgers to win. teams win with good QBs.

everybody wants an elite QB, because that's the easiest path to success in the NFL. but elite QBs are far and few in between. I don't even consider Brees, Wilson elite...they are really good, but not elite. they need resources and when they have resources they produce great offenses. Rodgers is Elite, Brady was elite. they seemingly could play with anyone and would elevate them...Mahomes is great...but he has some really nice resources and he is producing at a very very high level, that's why I put him at elite, but can he produce similar results to brady and rodgers without Kelce and Hill...regardless I wouldn't mind having him on the cowboys...

Slick

Reaction score
no, you really are stuck in 2010.....wake up...you are dreaming....

and let me get this straight. you are saying this team is under Dak's leadership, defense be damned, special teams be damned, coaches be damned...great....I guess he should be asking for more if he is responsible for those areas.....
Learn to read and comprehend. Maybe read it twice. Any starting QB is expected to be a leader on the field and in the locker room. Period

Slick

Reaction score
once they past june, they couldn't get a deal done, until next off season....putting a franchise tag was always an option they could go to, to ensure you get a second chance at it....franchising a player speaks volumes
If they were serious, it would have been done well before June.

Slick

Reaction score
like I said before, there are only two elite QBs in the league right now. Rodgers and Mahomes....the rest are good QBs to very good QBs...

so where do you suppose to find this elite QB? in the draft? then you better tank and hope a top notch one is available in top 5 and ends up being a good one, as most drafted QBs fail than succeed.
Is there a elite QB available via trade or FA? don't tell me stafford, as he is the most over rated QB of the modern era. nice guy. nothing against him, but if he ever had a time, its come and gone.

and like you said go after a QB in draft you think maybe elite...what if it fails? which it happens most often than not....you go back to square one. waste everybody's time and start again?

and what happens when you find a good QB, develop him and after 3 years his contract is done and you have to pay him? ala Dak? or are you going to refuse and start all over again. is the plan to just try and draft, develop and hope everything comes together in the first 4 years.....so every 4 years you rinse and repeat...

there is no walmart or 1-800 number for finding elite QBs.....Mahomes is elite. he won last year. Brady...is he still considered Elite? or is he just really good? and plus he had bilicheck!!....eagles won with Foles and wentz (go figure), Broncos won with Manning, who at the time was pretty washed up and had no arm strength, he was far far from elite, ravens won with flacco and giants with Eli...other teams got there with good QBs...they didn't win , but they got to the last dance and anything is possible once you are there, (ala eli, flacco, etc.)

so you don't have to have an elite QB like Mahomes, Prime Brady or Rodgers to win. teams win with good QBs.

everybody wants an elite QB, because that's the easiest path to success in the NFL. but elite QBs are far and few in between. I don't even consider Brees, Wilson elite...they are really good, but not elite. they need resources and when they have resources they produce great offenses. Rodgers is Elite, Brady was elite. they seemingly could play with anyone and would elevate them...Mahomes is great...but he has some really nice resources and he is producing at a very very high level, that's why I put him at elite, but can he produce similar results to brady and rodgers without Kelce and Hill...regardless I wouldn't mind having him on the cowboys...
Remind us what rounds Brady, Montana, even Dak himself was drafted?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Learn to read and comprehend. Maybe read it twice. Any starting QB is expected to be a leader on the field and in the locker room. Period
but that's the point son. he is the UNDISPUTED leader in the locker room. he is the undisputed leader of offense. he can't control coaches and what bone headed plays they call and he can't control the defense, the defensive scheme. the defensive play.....he led the offense and the offense was very good. the defense sucks and has sucked for years...and coaching....tell me you like garrett and you think he is the type of coach that can lead a team to a superbowl. I want to see you say that.....tell me Moore is a good OC and can lead a team to superbowl.....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
If they were serious, it would have been done well before June.
they were serious....Dak wanted a 4 year deal. Jones wanted a 5 year deal....neither side budged...... I think Jones made a mistake. he could have easily had his 5 year deal at a lower price...he could have given Dak a 4 year deal, save franchise tag for the 5th year, which would have been based on the previous years' averages...and would end up as a 5 year deal.....at or lower than the price of the 5 year contract....

Dak wanted to be a FA in 2024.....