Dalton throws for 300+ yds: fans say keep him. Dak threw for 450+ yds 3 times, fans say cut him?

USArmyVet

Reaction score
It took Dalton 10 games to finally pass Dak (5 games) in passing yards.

.....and all those passing yards had Dallas where going into the Giants game????? 1-3

Oh, and by the way it only took Dalton 1 game to do what Dak couldn't do last season: beat Philly in the second to last game of the season to keep the division title hopes alive.

Lastly, Dalton is 4-4 as the Cowboys starter.....a .500 record.....the same average that Dak was last season when he had his best statistical season so if Dalton provides Dallas the same results as Dak then what is the incentive to sign Dak to a huge contract extension????? Better yet, why bring him back at all??????

Swagger

Reaction score
Dak knew what he was doing signing with one of the sleaziest sports agents out there in Todd France. He wants to be paid handsomely and him blowing up his ankle carrying this rudimentary offense is only driving the price up. Knowing his brain trust.

We will pay out the nose for Dak like everyone of these clowns on the team.

Some fans would hope we learned maybe you rebuild your team or tweak it and not just try to keep everyone. Jerry and Stephen still are rewarding past performance. Not projecting future effectiveness and cost R.O.I.

So that's why people are not enamored with 450 yards considering the modern rules and the fact average quarterbacks are throwing up big numbers. It's not Dak. It's the fear we have a high functioning Brian Hoyer or Matt Schaub and we pay him like he's the better guys Cowboys fans disrespect just to boost up Prescott's status unnecessarily.
Great post and shout out for the Brian Hoyer analogy with Dak. He's basically Brand Hoyer with wheels.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
saying something after negotiations fall apart doesn’t make it true. Sorry, it just doesn’t. We’ve seen it a million times.
And Cousins sucked in WASH. He sucks in MIN.
It was a giant mistake to give him 87 million all up front fully guaranteed.
And none of this changes the simple fact that DAL is doing to Dak exactly what WASH did to Cousins.
Neither are elite.
Cousins is the only other NFL QB that’s been Franchised tag except Brees years ago in SD if I recall correctly.

And I don’t think anyone ever had claimed he’s Elite. He falls more into that beyond top 10 or middle tier that you described earlier for Dak. Which isn’t unusual to pay good money for.

Washington hasn’t contended for division since he left until this year . And he has been adequate for Vikings as they had some success with him. I don’t think any analysts would describe him as suking which sounds more like someone trolling him.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
.....and all those passing yards had Dallas where going into the Giants game????? 1-3

Oh, and by the way it only took Dalton 1 game to do what Dak couldn't do last season: beat Philly in the second to last game of the season to keep the division title hopes alive.

Lastly, Dalton is 4-4 as the Cowboys starter.....a .500 record.....the same average that Dak was last season when he had his best statistical season so if Dalton provides Dallas the same results as Dak then what is the incentive to sign Dak to a huge contract extension????? Better yet, why bring him back at all??????

And how was the defense and offensive line playing during those 4 games?

nobody

Reaction score
Here's a big fact you left out. The owners for just this coming off season have approved the teams to carryover unlimited amount of money unlike normally when they can only carryover 5%. The Cowboys will carryover about 25 mil and the 35 mil that was agreed upon before time ran out on July 15, so that means it will be a 10 mil hit on next years cap. 10 mil to get a really good QB is cheap.

I left it out simply because I did not know that. However, it does NOT discount my point.

Johnny23

Reaction score
What would you do instead?
I am leaning towards the resign Dak side because maybe you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. What I know for sure is that I don't give Smith anf Collins kick back contracts just because of how they became Cowboys.

LocoBates

Reaction score
That's funny. Nice spin. To be a starting QB in the NFL, one has to be smart enough to understand the playbook and read defenses. Yet, you refuse to acknowledge the most obvious: One went Hollywood. The other one hasn't. One lives and breathes football 24/7 and improves himself for the game of football. The other one, not so much.

You're lovefest even 5 years later is nauseating.

Yup, Romo read defenses and still does like no other.

Or.... are trying to say that Dak knows how to read defenses? :laugh::lmao::lmao::lmao2:

Dakota 450+ yards (garbage or not) = 1W -3L

Dalton 350 Yards = 3 winning streak,
Dak can shove his yards and frame his L's on his mansion's living room and even show his yards on his many TV commercials... after all he hasn't gone Hollywood at all.:lmao2:

ShaneFalco

Reaction score
Cousins is the only other NFL QB that’s been Franchised tag except Brees years ago in SD if I recall correctly.

And I don’t think anyone ever had claimed he’s Elite. He falls more into that beyond top 10 or middle tier that you described earlier for Dak. Which isn’t unusual to pay good money for.

Washington hasn’t contended for division since he left until this year . And he has been adequate for Vikings as they had some success with him. I don’t think any analysts would describe him as suking which sounds more like someone trolling him.

I just can’t stand giving that kind of money to a middle tier QB.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I just can’t stand giving that kind of money to a middle tier QB.
Teams do it all the time. It’s not like this dysfunctional organization will find anything better.

And he’s show some glimpses he could be more than middle tier. So, we waste another 4 years. We’ve already wasted 25 years.

I like Jimmy’s idea. Sign Dak and draft a QB.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Yup, Romo read defenses and still does like no other.

Or.... are trying to say that Dak knows how to read defenses? :laugh::lmao::lmao::lmao2:

Dakota 450+ yards (garbage or not) = 1W -3L

Dalton 350 Yards = 3 winning streak,
Dak can shove his yards and frame his L's on his mansion's living room and even show his yards on his many TV commercials... after all he hasn't gone Hollywood at all.:lmao2:
Truth hurts. It will hurt you even more when Jerry gives Dak that big contract this upcoming offseason.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
QUOTE:Remind us what rounds Brady, Montana, even Dak himself was drafted?QUOTE

6, 3, 4

do you want to know the #of QBs that failed in every round? its easy to nit pick the ones that succeeded. the least of failures is much much much much much much much much longer

And remind us of what round Young, Leaf, Leinard and Quinn were drafted in?

1, 1, 1 and 1...

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
QUOTE:Remind us what rounds Brady, Montana, even Dak himself was drafted?QUOTE

And remind us of what round Young, Leaf, Leinard and Quinn were drafted in?

1, 1, 1 and 1...

Most people like to use the exception to come up with a general rule....that's their problem...he didn't show the list of all failed QBs in the 6th round....

Skillit

Reaction score
how do you build an elite D?

I guess the point is what you give priority in terms of draft position, FA dollars, coaches you go after. But yes- it’s not as simple as to say “OK, let’s be elite.” I get that. The ravens and Steelers have been known for defense basically forever......there are reasons for that.

But to address the question head on, I would say the formula is one elite corner and two well above average pass rushers. You also have to have the ability to push the pocket back. I think the success of the middle of the defense, linebackers and safeties, is dependent on controlling the passing game.
I am not saying you can have scrubs at those positions, but you also can’t have a top draft pick in every position. I think those positions can be successful if they have help on the outside.

The game used to be just the opposite.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I guess the point is what you give priority in terms of draft position, FA dollars, coaches you go after. But yes- it’s not as simple as to say “OK, let’s be elite.” I get that. The ravens and Steelers have been known for defense basically forever......there are reasons for that.

But to address the question head on, I would say the formula is one elite corner and two well above average pass rushers. You also have to have the ability to push the pocket back. I think the success of the middle of the defense, linebackers and safeties, is dependent on controlling the passing game.
I am not saying you can have scrubs at those positions, but you also can’t have a top draft pick in every position. I think those positions can be successful if they have help on the outside.

The game used to be just the opposite.
I am with you on how to build a defense, although having the right LBs is also key...but...the challenge is that the cowboys have been putrid in defensive drafting over the past 15 years.....our history of drafting good defensive players is bad...and we have similar results in FA. its not a matter of not having ability to pay high priced FA. we did Lawrence. we made a mistake and paid Jaylon. but we keep signing the wrong guys and devalue players that are actually good and produce....we signe Worley, Poe, Griffin, McCoy, and for the same price we could have signed Jones. yeah he doesn't get interceptions, but at least he can defend a WR and doesn't give up much.

Skillit

Reaction score
I am with you on how to build a defense, although having the right LBs is also key...but...the challenge is that the cowboys have been putrid in defensive drafting over the past 15 years.....our history of drafting good defensive players is bad...and we have similar results in FA. its not a matter of not having ability to pay high priced FA. we did Lawrence. we made a mistake and paid Jaylon. but we keep signing the wrong guys and devalue players that are actually good and produce....we signe Worley, Poe, Griffin, McCoy, and for the same price we could have signed Jones. yeah he doesn't get interceptions, but at least he can defend a WR and doesn't give up much.

Well yea, lol- if you make bad decisions..,,,none of the strategy matters.

And I am by no means a draft expert. I know sometimes people reach for a player at a position of need that turns out to be not quite on par with the expectation and they passed up on a future pro bowler the position they felt was solid. It happens.
It’s not like I would pass up a can’t miss linebacker or safety if the talent was just off the charts.