Dalton throws for 300+ yds: fans say keep him. Dak threw for 450+ yds 3 times, fans say cut him?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Dalton allows for you to build a team around. Dak may not given how much he wants. We have a lot of holes to fill. I honestly don't care either way because no matter who the QB is, Jerry is still the GM and that's the real problem.

Also, I also remember a certain member (with the Initials of AC) that would argue that stats are for losers back in the Romo days. Now we freely are throwing out stats?

Interesting. Interesting, indeed...
how does Dalton allow you to do? this has been debunked so many times, I mean so many times.

with Dak at $32M....we also have 7 of the largest contracts (top 5) for their positions (Smith, Smith, Martin, Lawrence, Cooper, Zeke, Collins). SEVEN.....how many do you want? 15? 20?...is that possible? and we had quite a few mid level contracts on the team, 4 of which we cut mid season because they sucked.....and we have another one in crawford we been trying to cut for years!!!

and you want to go cheap with Dalton. who is 0-5 in the playoffs and 1-12 in games that mattered....

don't forget we beat three teams, that are 4-10.....got BLOWN out by teams that are average.....

yet we also complained Dak can't beat winning teams and only beats losing teams...yet here we are!!!

like I have asked, you have the money...who would you sign that would make a difference on the team? give NAMES. explain why you think they would impact. who was available in FA that we could have had and didn't sign? difference makers that you speak of?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
It's a tough call... If you look at the starting salaries of all QB's that won a SB in a given year, you don't see them making more than 13% of the cap. The rest of the team needs talent too...which requires money. So the more you pay the QB the less talent you have elsewhere. Given that the cap is likely to DROP, how much is Dak worth? He certainly is a good QB...but how good? Does he elevate the team around him. A simple look at the W/L column the past couple of years is a good answer. Is he worth 20% of the cap given the reduction in talent it will precipitate elsewhere? How did the team do with him NOT making 20% of the cap?

Then again, he IS very good and getting better. Aside from proven QB's who have led their teams to SB's and DO elevate their team (like Mahomes), does -any- QB deserve 35+ million with a likely impending salary cap drop?

If they can secure him for 5 years at 35 per year, he's probably worth it. If he wants less time for a bonus payday later, maybe not.
that's the dispute everyone makes about salary caps.....but they compare the contracts to the year they were signed and the salary cap then...what is the cap hit when they won the superbowl? the cap keeps going up!!! the average salary doesn't.......

and btw we had Dak at $32M...we have 7 of the largest contract for the positions on the team.....so it didn't stop us from signing highly regarded players....and we had a whole slew of mid level players, 4 of them didn't work out..why? because we tend to sign the wrong players...we have the money, not the proper FA evaluation.....

btw, the drop in cap is a one year issue that entire NFL has to deal with.....the subsequent years the cap will go back to what it was.......

and yes, Dak elevates those around him.....Dalton has shown he needs a lot of help, just to beat 3 teams with a 4-10 record......and has been down right Gawd Awful against average teams.....you don't win in the NFL beating 4-10 teams.....at least with Dak we were competitive against winning teams, only if the defense would have been just slightly competitive.....just slightly.....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
for 35-40 million you need a playmaker. Someone who makes plays when everything breaks down. Dak is not that guy consistently at all. He may do it here and there but I have not seen it when it counts for a good long while!
actually Dak has shown he was that guy....this very year, with all the injuries....he kept the team competitive...once he went down....the offense plain sucked.....

oh, you are going to point to Dalton...ok, he beat three 4-10 teams with the help of 9 turnovers....when was the last time dallas defense had 9 turnovers in three games?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Dalton allows for you to build a team around. Dak may not given how much he wants. We have a lot of holes to fill. I honestly don't care either way because no matter who the QB is, Jerry is still the GM and that's the real problem.

Also, I also remember a certain member (with the Initials of AC) that would argue that stats are for losers back in the Romo days. Now we freely are throwing out stats?

Interesting. Interesting, indeed...
how does Dalton allow you to build a team around him? he already has three top notch WRs. if not for injuries, we have 3 of the highest paid OL men, we have a top 10 TE (which we didn't know we had)....and yet this is a very average offense.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Well we don't know if Dalton will even be here to "build around", and even if he is here, we don't know that he'd accept a real team friendly salary, or that Dak will still be pushing for the supposed $40 mil a year, after the injury.

Lots of uncertainties....
what are you building around? a QB, who is 31, is on his way out of the league and has never won a superbowl or a game that mattered.....building around a loser is not my idea of building a team

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Is Dak worth 35-40 million more than Dalton? What could we do with that money? Just saying. It appears worthy of discussion.

And we could still draft a QB.
wait, how did you come up with $35-$40?...is Dalton playing for free? or is Dak's contract now $45M range? the numbers keep creeping up weekly

and Draft a QB? who? what's the risk? we need defense? and we did draft a QB....his name is Dak, we developed him, now he is a top 10 QB in the league...so you want to go back to square 1? what if the QB you draft doesn't work out? we know Dalton is not the answer...so you spend a few years, figure out the QB doesn't work out and then what? draft another one...rinse, repeat!!! and what if we draft a QB and it does work out (Dak) and he wants a new contract....for average salaries of top QBs at the time...you gonna dump him? and go after another QB? is your hope we hit on a QB and win one in the first 3 or 4 years of their contract? is that the game plan?

aikemirv

Reaction score
actually Dak has shown he was that guy....this very year, with all the injuries....he kept the team competitive...once he went down....the offense plain sucked.....

oh, you are going to point to Dalton...ok, he beat three 4-10 teams with the help of 9 turnovers....when was the last time dallas defense had 9 turnovers in three games?
You made my point. You can win with an average QB with a good defense or turnovers. Why do we want to pay Dak 35-40 million then? So we can continue with our defense that in reality sucks!

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
what are you building around? a QB, who is 31, is on his way out of the league and has never won a superbowl or a game that mattered.....building around a loser is not my idea of building a team

Agreed, I was responding to foofighters' post about rebuilding around Dalton, not agreeing with him....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I guess the question is can you have a competitive team if you pay him 35-40 million. I don't believe you can. We don't really have a competitive team right now on defense and the tag of 30 mill for a QB is part of that. That and wasting money on Jaylon and Crawford and not to mention guys like Demarcus who, while he rushes the passer really well forgets that he needs to contain the edge on EVERY play as well.

So if you plan on making perfect decisions at every other position then you can win paying Dak 35 million. I don't think Dak can carry that salary cap weight onto the field and make the difference you lose at other positions.

However, paying Dalton10-15 million, you could probably seal up that D if you make decent decisions.
thank you...

you hit on the problem....paying Dak is not stopping us from signing players....its signing the RIGHT players...paying Jaylon is not paying off. Paying lawrence is not paying off (sorry, I don't pay run stopping DEs 20M a year), paying crawford didn't pan out. paying McCoy, Poe, griffin, Worley mid level contract was a disaster.

its paying the wrong players is the problem....instead of paying those 4 guys, we could have just resigned Byron Jones....but then again 99% of this board wanted to get rid of Jones.....

willia451

Reaction score
We're won three in a row and are one more win and a little help away from winning our division and making the playoffs. Who can believe it?

Think about all those other teams that are eliminated right now that would love to be in our position.

So rolling with Andy for the future has to be in the conversation.

You know. Mr. Dalton could have quit on the team after they let him get jacked up by Bostic in week 7 and did not defend him. But he stayed the course. Proving how selfless he is. And he even battled COVID-19 to get back out on the field and help the team. Since then the team has been 4-2. Did the COVID actually help Andy in this situation? I wonder. Stranger things.

If we make the playoffs and do ok, some people will be sorry they dismissed Mr. Dalton so easily.

As to the question of Dak or Dalton? My answer to that is it depends. And not the depends like if you have leakage issues. It depends on the direction the teams wants to take.

It's been proven over and over you can win a SB with a serviceable QB. As long as you have playmakers in most of the other positions. Do we have that? No. So it makes me wonder if reaching for a high dollar QB now makes sense? How does that help us right now?

Maybe it's time to stop chasing the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow trying to reinvent the triplets and move in another direction?

csirl

Reaction score
thank you...

you hit on the problem....paying Dak is not stopping us from signing players....its signing the RIGHT players...paying Jaylon is not paying off. Paying lawrence is not paying off (sorry, I don't pay run stopping DEs 20M a year), paying crawford didn't pan out. paying McCoy, Poe, griffin, Worley mid level contract was a disaster.

its paying the wrong players is the problem....instead of paying those 4 guys, we could have just resigned Byron Jones....but then again 99% of this board wanted to get rid of Jones.....

Its not about the money, paying Dak means we're stuck with a not quite good enough QB.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
You made my point. You can win with an average QB with a good defense or turnovers. Why do we want to pay Dak 35-40 million then? So we can continue with our defense that in reality sucks!
win what? against 4-10 teams? but get blown out by average teams?

I want to pay Dak market value...why? because he is a top 10 QB...he makes this team competitive because of lack of FO evaluation of defensive players, our only hope is to be competitive with offense...

or did you forget the 38-10 shellacking (with 7 of those 10 coming in total total garbage time) we took from AZ
Did you forget the shellacking we got from WFT with Alex smith!!!
did you forget the spanking we got from the ravens!!

but hey, you think beating three 4-10 teams is cause for celebration and we found our QB of the future!!!

and when was the last time the defense got 9 turnovers in 3 games....against the offensive bottom feeders, playing with their back up QBs......

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
So we can beat good teams in the playoffs?

CowboysRule

Reaction score
You're talking about a 14 year career for Romo. Dak has only been on the team for 4.5 years, yet Dak is on pace to shatter Romo's come from behind victories. Wisen up.
Romo didn't start for 14 years, more like 10. Dak currently has 9 come from behind victories averaging a little over 2 year. Extrapolated over 10 years we'll call that 23. Which still leaves him short of Romo. So who needs to wisen up? Or would you like to post more stats that you've made up in your head?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Its not about the money, paying Dak means we're stuck with a not quite good enough QB.
Dak is clearly a top 10 QB...undisputed....stats support that....and when surveyed 50 FO personnel, their opinions (that are more valid than anyone on this board) validated it.

with Dak we were always competitive against better teams.....trying to compensate for a defense that sucked, historically sucked.

with dalton we got blown out by three average teams...I mean literally blown out by over 20 points...not competitive what so ever.

but hey, we just beat three 4-10 teams, with their back up QBs....and you want to roll the dice with Dalton? teams in the playoffs aren't 4-10....just so you know.