News: Damar Hamlin Injury thread (Breathing Tube Removed!)

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score

The Bills medical staff... What can I say? They did a great job and gave Hamlin a fighting chance. You could see one doctor, almost immediately, looking deep into his helmet to see what his eyes were doing. Once he saw his eyes he started calling for help. He knew then and there they needed an ambulance.

I don't know how affective an AED can be or chest compressions, with shoulder pads on. But to restore his heartbeat as fast as possible was their number one task. And as long as he doesn't suffer a heart attack in the next couple of days, he should make it through.

plymkr

Reaction score
This gives me hope for humanity. Here we are, fans of the Dallas Cowboys who fight every day, and yet, we all come together. There's a reason I've been here for now 18 years. We're pulling for you young man.
Well said. I completely agree. Yes we fight and bicker about a pointless game but when something possibly tragic just happened we came together as people and not fans of the Cowboys. I am impressed and appreciative of the response this community had. This community has a lot if caring people in it and like yourself that's why I have been coming here for 15 or years.

Let's keep praying for him and hopefully tomorrow we'll know more and praying we get good news.

T-RO

Reaction score
I'm a fool, a moron and worse.

So a correction 10 minutes later: I've now already watched Hamlin's second clip 50 times. Still, me? I got hard soil...thick skin...don't know if anything can seep in.

Spooked out. I used the word "cherish" in my "prayer" post earlier tonight in another thread, me an *agnostic*. Who talks of "cherishing". Who talks of mother and father and prayer? Who believes anything now...and then (perhaps) dies as a young athlete from the 1-in-billion freakiest most unusual of circumstances

...and makes everyone in America suddenly want to pray?

T-RO

Reaction score
Gotta transcribe these Hamlin words:

"We just had our prayer. The DB prayer we do every Wednesday.

Outside he was next to me. And I just grabbed his hand a little bit harder just because, you know, you never know when, like, the last day could be when you get to experience something like this...so I'm cherishing it every moment I can."

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I think it's a good thing his mom is there. In her shoes, that's where I would prefer being rather than seeing what happen on TV and then trying to get to him as fast as can be. That would be the worst plus with being there, she can act as his medical proxy if he is unable to make medical decisions for himself. Prayers for him and his family.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I'm a fool, a moron and worse.

So a correction 10 minutes later: I've now already watched Hamlin's second clip 50 times. Still, me? I got hard soil...thick skin...don't know if anything can seep in.

Spooked out. I used the word "cherish" in my "prayer" post earlier tonight in another thread, me an *agnostic*. Who talks of "cherishing". Who talks of mother and father and prayer? Who believes anything now...and then (perhaps) dies as a young athlete from the 1-in-billion freakiest most unusual of circumstances

...and makes everyone in America suddenly want to pray?

Sometimes, things like this happen that snap us to what's important, and this is one such thing.

starfan1

Reaction score
Prayers to the young man! I didn’t even watch it but seen some chatter on social media hopefully he pulls through ok

csirl

Reaction score
It’s considered a sudden death injury, though now the survival rate is ~35%. For mere mortals that survive, they go back to their daily routines. Not sure about athletes.

I know someone who had a heart attack on field during a game - very similar circumstances - had to be revived by ambulance crew. Tests revealed a heart defect which was fixed via surgery. Player returned to playing after c. 2 years. Hopefully we get the same good outcome here.

https://www.americanfootball.ie/cardiac-risk-in-the-young-gary-mcelkerneys-story/

RodeoJake

Reaction score
This is not the sort of news I was prepared to hear this morning. Sending my love to Damar, his family and those close to him.

Our Father who art in Heaven hallowed be thy name. I ask you to send your healing powers to this young man and wrap his family in your gentle arms. In Lord Jesus name, amen.