News: Damar Hamlin Injury thread (Breathing Tube Removed!)

erod

Reaction score
Nobody is wishing for a better outcome for this young man than me. With that said, how could the NFL not have a a plan for this? It was an event that was inevitable and is almost certain to happen again, perhaps with worse results.

These are the biggest, strongest men in the world playing a game whose violence can’t be fully comprehended unless one has suited up. How more people aren’t paralyzed or killed every year is astonishing.

Had I been a Bill, I’d have not played anymore tonight. Probably the same if I was a Bengals player. Now the decision:

- Reschedule for Tuesday or Wednesday
- Call it a tie
- Call it a no contest and use percentages for playoff purposes, with each team playing a 16 game season.
- Have the Bills forfeit

No other options, really.
This specifically has never happened before.

nobody

Reaction score
I think if he was going to pass, it would have happened relatively quickly. And obviously that would be announced.

I’m taking now news as good news.

I don't think it is a good sign that he had to be intubated and wasn't breathing on his own afterward.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
seems like something they should be prepared for but the absolute rarity of this situation happening I get why they wouldn’t. Play the game Wednesday barring the man not surviving this.

Surprisingly rare now, but football was almost abolished in America due to deaths and serious injuries on the field. T. Roosevelt played a part in keeping our game legal.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
I think there’s a high probability that this was a commotio cordis event. Usually doesn’t happen to adults in sports, but I think a dozen or two cases happen annually to youths under 18, and usually in baseball from balls slamming into the left heart shadow area. They got to him very fast with excellent equipment and staff, so hopefully he makes a full recovery. Not sure I’d be playing anymore football, though.

nobody

Reaction score
What's the recovery for something like that assuming everything comes back good?

A lot of it depends on how long his brain went without oxygen among other things. I don't think he should play football again. He's a second year player and young.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
A lot of it depends on how long his brain went without oxygen among other things. I don't think he should play football again. He's a second year player and young.

Reports say that they were delivering O2 within a minute. Combined with CPR, I wouldn’t expect brain damage to be a primary concern. As far as football, who knows. He’s made ~$1.5MM already and they would probably pay out the rest of his contract, so another $2MM or so? Not retirement money, but something to start a life outside of football with anyway.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
I remember the soccer player from Denmark Erikson, who flatlined during a match and they saved his life with CPR on the field. He was back playing again this year so there is a precedent for saving somebody's life on a field although I know the circumstances are different. That was just awful to watch as was this tonight. I was so glad he made it back to play.

The only other event I can point to was the tragic death of Hank Gathers from Loyola Marymount during the NCAA Tournament when he died after having a heart attack on the court.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Commotio cordis is a phenomenon in which a sudden blunt impact to the chest

This was my best guess as well. Well, that or maybe a really rare genetic condition called Brugada Syndrome that I have seen once before in a 27-year-old who dropped on the basketball court. Kid was very lucky that an ICU-trained RN was in the gym and witnessed it happen, and she immediately started CPR. He stayed at our hospital for about 90 days and coded another 2 or 3 times in that period, always getting brought back. Lost a TON of weight and ultimately transferred to long-term rehab and haven't seen him since so I assume he's probably doing alright. One of the most interesting patients I've been able to see.