News: Damar Hamlin Injury thread (Breathing Tube Removed!)

GoldenR

Reaction score
Keep waiting for these talking heads and former players on networks to give full CREDIT to the medics and doctors who saved his life on the field. I assume they know their names, please give a shout out to them. One medical doctor from the Bengals sideline was crucial in the situation with helping Damar. If you guys heard something I have not, I'm glad they are giving props to them.

EST_1986

Reaction score
Keep waiting for these talking heads and former players on networks to give full CREDIT to the medics and doctors who saved his life on the field. I assume they know their names, please give a shout out to them. One medical doctor from the Bengals sideline was crucial in the situation with helping Damar. If you guys heard something I have not, I'm glad they are giving props to them.
Not sure they would know any names besides the head guys of each medical team but yea the first responders for Hamlin saved his life and gave him a fighting chance

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
I really can't concentrate on or care about football right now or the upcoming NFL weekend and it's playoff implications. I just want Hamlin to be okay and to make it though. Can't imagine what the NFL players are going through right now since they are considered a brotherhood.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I owe that young man a ton of respect for his character and commit. My prayers are sent and I fully expect his grit and courage champions this current set back. He is a good Texas Ranger, who gets off the ground, dusts his pants off...and courageously just continues his galant mission as before.

GoldenR

Reaction score
Not sure they would know any names besides the head guys of each medical team but yea the first responders for Hamlin saved his life and gave him a fighting chance
Yes, possibly not. Just wish they would say more on how important they are to these players.

cityochamps

What Just Happened Here
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In 2020, Hamlin started organizing annual Christmas toy drives in his hometown of McKees Rocks. Shortly after his in-game collapse, the ******** campaign for his 2020 toy drive, which had a goal of $2,500, started receiving a massive influx of donors, raising over $3 million in donations in a matter of hours.(Axios)

Never lose faith in humanity. Humanity is like an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.” – Mahatma Gandhi

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I was expecting that announcement last night. He’s on a ventilator. If he’s unable to breath on his own there could have been brain damage if his heart stopped very long.

The longer he goes without his heart returning to a normal rhythm the less likely of recovery.

They’ll try and wane him off of it . Then they’ll know if he has permanent damage if his heart and brain don’t respond .
Or if the damage to his heart was too severe to cause to be put on mechanical ventillation.

joseephuss

Reaction score
He was 24 years old and had a cardiac arrest on the field. Unusual to say the least.

Very unusual. I recall an incident from years ago about a Little League baseball player getting hit by a pitch causing cardiac arrest. A combination of the hit being in a specific location near the heart and at a specific time during the hearts function to wreak havoc. Very unfortunate in both cases.

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
Just for the record concerning Hamblin's condition. It is pretty ominous having to perform CPR period. Statistics bear this out concerning CPR.

Defibrillators are designed to correct a non-perfusing cardiac rhythms only (Ventricular Fibrillation and Ventricular Tachycardia) . . . they don't "jumpstart" the heart. To be sure there is one more shockable rhythm but not relatable to CPR.

He may very well be able to breathe on his on as ventilators are used in cases of cardiac arrest as a "support device" to remove one of the arrest variables. There is the chance brain anoxia affected his respiratory drive center in the brain.

The biggest risk other than having a strong enough self sustaining cardiac output is did his brain lose oxygen flow thru loss of cardiac flow. CPR, at best, delivers only 25% of resting cardiac output so anoxic brain tissue is a huge concern. So loss of oxygen flow leads to brain injury from cellular death/tissue death from lack of oxygen. This is very common post cardiac arrest.

Commotio Cordis results from a blow to the chest and not necessarily a hard blow but one that happens at just the right nano-moment in the cardiac cycle and results in the heart being thrown into Vfib. This is a possible cause.

All of this to say Hamlin's condition is dire, just as dire as the reports. When we say we need to pray for him we need to really PRAY for him . . . out loud and on purpose. This is the one thing we can all do and it can affect his outcome.

Last edited:

Fritsch_the_cat

Reaction score
Very unusual. I recall an incident from years ago about a Little League baseball player getting hit by a pitch causing cardiac arrest. A combination of the hit being in a specific location near the heart and at a specific time during the hearts function to wreak havoc. Very unfortunate in both cases.
Since this keeps coming up, I'll repost what I said last night in the game thread. It's sounding like Hamlin is a more serious case of what happened to me.

When I was in 5th grade, playing little league, I was standing just outside the dugout fence, not paying attention, and caught a hard line drive foul ball right in the middle of my chest. I came to with people gathered around me and my friends mom, who was an RN, giving me what she called a "Heart Massage". I don't think there was even such a thing as CPR in those days or they would have performed it on me. Friends said I wasn't breathing for a little bit but finally started gasping for air.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Place yourself in the shoes of the players that watched the horror of their teammate receiving CPR and a tube put down his throat to assist him breath right in front of them.......and then tell me how much they need to play this game immediately.

Some things are more important than a game and I would not be surprised if we see several or many players decide to retire this off-season realizing that no amount of money is worth the violence they subject themselves to.
Understood, but the game definitely needs to be redone before the playoffs start in 2 weeks. If not, it will cause playoffs seeding problems.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
This is scary. Prayers for Hamlin and his family. I hope he pulls through. The one really good thing is that he got medical attention immediately. You watch games like this for years and never expect anything like this to happen.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
This opens up so many scary questions for me beyond Hamlin's situation. It looked like a routine tackle. Could it have been just a one in a million angle that his chest got hit in a way that caused the heart to stop? Could there maybe be a new shoulder pad design that protects that area from sudden trauma better?

This was the most frightening thing I have ever seen in all my years watching football and now my mind is drifting towards finding ways to never allow it to happen to anyone else.